Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house & changing address on license.

Options
  • 19-10-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

I've just moved house and went to the local Garda station to ask about changing the address on my license.
    Was told by the Guard on duty that I have to complete a whole new application form. I'm sure that's based on his lack of knowledge rather than fact.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Thanks, that's exactly what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

I was also told that by the local Garda. But what I actually had to do was fill out the fca2 form. But that doesn't get u a licence with your new address. It just changes your address on the Garda pulse computer. So i rang the firearms Licencing dept in Dublin and the lady told me that I need to fill out the fca2 form, which I did, and then go to your local Garda station and ask for a reprint of your licence with the new address.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mark42

My license was up on the 9/10/12 and on 12/10/12 I rang the firearms officer wasn't there so I asked the garda who took my call
    That my license was up and I still hadn't heard anything back yet and. This is what he said ( bring your gun down and we'll mind it for you ) lol or what needless to say I rang back the following day and got the firearms officer and was able to tell me my license was granted that I should have my letter of the post office in a day or two in anyway some gards haven't a clue or don't want to know

One of my mates changed one of his guns filled in form no charge and got the new license within a week
    Can't see it been any different with changing address could be wrong

• Advertisement

Tommy87 wrote: »
    I was also told that by the local Garda. But what I actually had to do was fill out the fca2 form. But that doesn't get u a licence with your new address. It just changes your address on the Garda pulse computer. So i rang the firearms Licencing dept in Dublin and the lady told me that I need to fill out the fca2 form, which I did, and then go to your local Garda station and ask for a reprint of your licence with the new address.

Did they charge you ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Change of details via an FCA2 with a reprint is free. It's not a new license, and it's a matter of law that you need to have an up to date license which includes details of address, make, model, etc.

You should never be charged for a reprint/amended license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

mark42 wrote: »
    Did they charge you ?

I didn't ask for the reprint yet. But from what's been said here there is no charge....... Until I meet another "highly informed" Garda!!!

Tommy87 wrote: »
    Until I meet another "highly informed" Garda!!!
    I understand your frustration, and God knows i'm as guilty about giving out as the next person, but the reality is not a lot of Gardaí are trained in or know about the firearms licensing in this country.

We assume they do because they wear the uniform, but unless they are an FO or have a personal interest in firearms and know this for their own sake chances are the majority will not know half as much as the average shooter. We know because we have to know. It's important to us.

Not making excuses, but just trying to explain the re-actions from some Gardaí. There are always the few that do not like firearms, but most times it is lack of knowledge more so than a dislike that causes problems. IMO.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I Understand how they might not know, they are only human like the rest of us, and have their own interests and hobbies!

There has to be a day when your firearms licence doesn't depend on one person, he could be completely biased against guns. There should be a system where the guards are needed for a background check and to check security arrangements maybe, and then a department that issues licences based on your eligibility to need the gun. I'm not saying everyone should be allowed have 20 guns but if I have a .308 for deer I think it's quite acceptable to look for a .223 or a .22-250 for foxs, where a guard with no interest in shooting can't see this. "ah sure you have the ""big"" rifle, won't that kill a fox". I think there has to be a big change in the way things are done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭damanloox

From my own experience - even FOs don't necessarily know the procedures unfortunately. And true - it all depends on one man. Even if you 'tick all the boxes' and play by the rules - you're still at the mercy of either the FO or Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Not to re open a can of worms here but do you need to request a reprint to get a new licence????
    Im moving address too and would like to have the paperwork right..

Yep.

As juice said simply fill out the FCA2. Use the amend detail section (first page) with your current address on the left, and new address on the right. Assuming the guns are moving to your new house with ya.
    juice1304 wrote: »

Ezridax wrote: »
    Yep.

As juice said simply fill out the FCA2. Use the amend detail section (first page) with your current address on the left, and new address on the right. Assuming the guns are moving to your new house with ya.

Who or where do i have to go to request the reprint?? i left in the fca2s tonight..

The FCA2 is a license amendment form. Once processed they automatically reprint, and send you the new license.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.. The local guard was under the impression that a new licence with my new address wouldnt be issued till it was renewal time and that it would only be updated on pulse and not in a paper licence,,
    ill give it a few weeks and see what happens anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Did this last week. Just filled the FCA2 and handed it into the garda station in an envelope with for the attention of firearms officer. That way you cut out the middle man and they pop it on the FO's desk. (hopefully)

My re prints arrived today, so pretty much a 20 day turn around,, not too bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Mine arrived last week so took 2 weeks in total...

Advertisement