Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding an SSD - is it worth it?

Options
  • 19-10-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have a HP Pavilion DV2000 series laptop, currently running on a core 2 duo T5500 cpu, along with 2 GB RAM (max amount). Just wondering if there would be much ROI on installing an SSD, or would I be better holding off and saving for a newer laptop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭briany

It depends. If an SSD can fit into your HDD bay, if it can connect to the physical SATA and power ports, whether your OS would play nice with an SSD and can run off it and the whether your machine would bottleneck the speed of an SSD. I think an SSD is a great thing to have for boot/load times as it seriously cuts them down but it's difficult to know how it will get on in a slightly older machine like the one you specced out there. Maybe someone else on here has tried what you're wondering about and could give you more info on the ins and outs of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

It will speed to loading of everything on your pc.

In my opinion an SSD is a upgrade any machine can benefit from.

Most SSD's at 2.5 inche drives and will fit in your laptop fine. The samsung 830 range are smaller but come with a spacer to make it fit.

Don't expect miracles though. Games and programs that wouldn't run before still wont run with an ssd.

Advertisement