Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography Program Required

• 19-10-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi Guys need abit of help here.

I have a standard 8m camera casio. Im taking pictures of clothes for my website and was looking for a camera software program to give me a professional look and white out the background.

I wouldnt have photoshop experience so im looking for a more user friendly simplified version to white out the background and give an "instagram" look (if that makes sense)

Any information be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

retenzo12 wrote: »
    and give an "instagram" look

Just take your snaps with Instagram - saves all the editing to try get the Instagram look.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭retenzo12

Im look to get a white background also and 3d effect.

Any other ideas thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Can you show a sample of what kind of photos you want?

Then you're into lighting. You need a white background which is lit separately to your products to blow it out white. You then need to light your product to show it at it's best. That doesn't come from a computer programme, it comes from a photographer having the right equipment and knowing how to use it.

is there not a program like instagram for beginners to capture this sceanario?

• Advertisement

I'm not overly familiar with instagram, but from what I've seen of it, I certainly wouldn't be going anywhere near that kind of effect for clothing sales. It dirties the image, affects colour, etc. and would generally put me off buying clothing that was promoted like that. Crisp, clean and straight-forward is what you should look to get. Novelty photos won't help you sell products, in my honest opinion (though everyone's opinion will vary).

is there not a program like instagram for beginners to capture this sceanario?

Yes. ...but I wouldn't recommend it for product photography.

http://pixlr.com/o-matic/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This is what I used

01CA5D93E59E4ECBBEE5E6AFAB1DC96A-800.jpg

To get this

A6264EFBD4074315B008CE85015B024A-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Hi Guys need abit of help here.

I have a standard 8m camera casio. Im taking pictures of clothes for my website and was looking for a camera software program to give me a professional look and white out the background.

I wouldnt have photoshop experience so im looking for a more user friendly simplified version to white out the background and give an "instagram" look (if that makes sense)

Any information be great.

Thanks

you'll save a lot of struggling (and time) if you'll hire someone who either teach you how to do this kind of job or do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

sebphoto wrote: »
    you'll save a lot of struggling (and time) if you'll hire someone who either teach you how to do this kind of job or do it for you a professional photographer.

FYP

OP - if you want the job done soon ...hire a professional, if you cant afford a professional try to find an amateur who can do it in exchange for clothes - dont expect many to facilitate you as clothes wont pay their bills.

if you dont have money - then save as much as you can ...
    read tutorials,
    read blogs,
    read books,
    watch tutorials,
    watch you-tube,
    purchase a good DSLR,
    purchase good lenses (usually need more than one ...a macro for close up details and a fixed lens for uniformity of images)
    purchase lighting equipment and/or external flashes (multiple)
    purchase a backdrop or two,
    learn about exposure,
    learn about posing (if you will be using people wearing the clothes),
    learn about model release forms
    learn about image manipulation
    learn about storing your images
    learn about post processing

or if all of the above is too much hassle - hire someone who has already done the learning and purchased the equipment and let a professional do their job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Sound like what you need is a copy of Simple Post Processor Pro.
    225276.jpg

It will do all you ask with one click of a button.

Pro's have been using it for years and then just tell clients stories about investments in education, equipment and skill.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Sound like what you need is a copy of Simple Post Processor Pro.
    225276.jpg

It will do all you ask with one click of a button.

Pro's have been using it for years and then just tell clients stories about investments in education, equipment and skill.

I ended up using photoshop in the end and achieved great results...it however worrys me your a mod on this board giving such advice!

I wouldnt have photoshop experience so im looking for a more user friendly simplified version
    I ended up using photoshop in the end and achieved great results.

Tis the end of photography as we know it.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

it however worrys me your a mod on this board giving such advice!

Ah here, even moderators on boards are allowed have a sense of humour, Methinks you'd be better having a chuckle at Cabansail's post than moaning about it. It was quite funny in a nery geeky camera guy kinda way.

Without seeing your before / after images, I'd suggest the content of Borderfox's post is a kind that you should try to emulate for product photography. There are versions of it, some of which won't cost terribly much (using household items - sheets, laundry box/tents, etc..) but probably will involve a little more investment or borrowing of gear (strobes in particular to blow out the background) in order to highlight your product. It takes time and effort. Unless your product has completely clean lines, then it will take an enormous amount of work in post production to achieve a similar quality of image as to what you would get by creating the 'effect' properly in camera. Getting it correct in camera is far better to the final outcome in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I ended up using photoshop in the end and achieved great results...it however worrys me your a mod on this board giving such advice!
    Well, if one does ask a silly question, one may expect...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I ended up using photoshop in the end and achieved great results...

ah g'wan give us a look, maybe you can give us a tutorial afterwards ...

:)

For all the keyboard warriors....not bad for a first attempt I think!! ;)

225451.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Your lighting is very front-on, which makes the product look flat. If you could bring the light off to the side a bit it'd help a lot :)

Have to admit, I have seen worse.

Where were you getting the 'instagram' notion from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You should put a solid colour behind it and then just select colour range, choose the backdrop and delete it. your picture looks very unflattering and from a glance I have absolutely not idea what it could be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

true, it's not bad for a first attempt.

i wouldn't go calling the people on here keyboard warriors. they merely pointed out that you said you had no photoshop experience, then wanted an easy click option of doing a professional process.. followed by admitting you did it in photoshop in the end (but had no experience :confused:)

true, it's not bad for a first attempt.

i wouldn't go calling the people on here keyboard warriors. they merely pointed out that you said you had no photoshop experience, then wanted an easy click option of doing a professional process.. followed by admitting you did it in photoshop in the end (but had no experience :confused:)

I was looking for helpful advice, not smart ass comments....

In the end I went to youtube and looked at a few basic tutorials...

Too many heros looking for "thanks" on this website nowadays...even the mods are at it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Borderfox wrote: »
    This is what I used

01CA5D93E59E4ECBBEE5E6AFAB1DC96A-800.jpg

To get this

A6264EFBD4074315B008CE85015B024A-800.jpg

How much did you pay for that portalite softbox? I'm on the look out for one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

What is it? There's no sense of scale that I can see. Is it the size of a slipper or a sleeping bag...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ah Jesus lads, would ye ever lay off a little? He clearly didn't know what he needed to do or what he needed to do it with so trying to pick holes in it is just getting cheap laughs off a novice.

The better people are treated when they need help the more likely they are to return and contribute more in future and it's in the best interests of everyone to have a vibrant and growing forum.

Syferus wrote: »
    Ah Jesus lads, would ye ever lay off a little? He clearly didn't know what he needed to do or what he needed to do it with so trying to pick holes in it is just getting cheap laughs off a novice.

The better people are treated when they need help the more likely they are to return and contribute more in future and it's in the best interests of everyone to have a vibrant and growing forum.

Totally off topic but myself and a friend bought a boat during the summer, didn't have a notion about fishing / sailing etc. so we set up a boards.ie account to share and solely for the purpose of asking questions and I have to say for all the "stupid" questions we asked on the "sailing and Boating" forum not once did someone mock us or joke at us... FergalB is the mod on the forum and is a credit to boards.ie maybe the mods/frequenters of this forum should take a leaf out of his book...

At the end of the day we all have to start from somewhere and learn as we go...

I like a joke as much as the next fella but mocking and criticising a beginner isn't good for the forum and as Syferus said will have a negative impact on the forum.

Rant over

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

My previous post was meant as a light hearted joke. If it has caused offence then I apologise.

There is a differnce between what you asked here and that in the Boating and Sailing forum. Their repsonse may have been different if you had said you have bought a boat and wanted to know how to be a Profession Fisherman or Charter Operator without any gear or training.

What you have done is very good for a first effort. It falls quite short of waht you would expect from a professional photographer, though it may serve your purpose. If you had asked here how to do it in Photoshop then you would have been given advice. Now that you are asking realistic questions you will get advice on how to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd suggest hanging it up instead of laying it flat.
    I'm presuming it's a baby coat? As said, the angle, light and lack if it being how it's meant to be worn make it look a little flat and to be honest, at first I thought they were baby shoes.

On a total budget you could get a big role of paper, a hanger/stand thing to hold the hanger and use a lamp with some tracing paper in front of it in place of a flash. By no means ideal but it may help.
    This is also a brilliant idea for smaller items.
    Good effort though.

No idea where you were going with Instagram though. :confused:

Advertisement