Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get started with UCAS

Options
  • 19-10-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

I'm sorry if this has been done to death before, but I'm completely lost and I've tried searching but I could find nothing.

I did my Leaving Cert several years ago (in 2008) and I did well (540 points). I went to college for a couple of years in 08/09 but decided mid-way through second year that I didn't enjoy the course. I dropped out and have been working/travelling ever since. Now I've decided I want to go back, so I'm going to apply via the CAO for a course next September. I'd really like to study abroad though, so I'm going to apply via UCAS to a few Scottish universities and see if I get lucky, and if not I'll always have the CAO.

Where do I start with UCAS? How can I convert my CAO points or my LC grades into relevant grades for the UK? As far as I understand it, an Irish A does not equal an A level A, so I'm lost when it comes to the conversion. I believe I have until the 15th of January to apply (I'm not applying for medicine or anything like that, so the earlier dates don't apply to me).

Is the University of Edinburgh hard to get into? Do you need two languages or Science or Humanities courses (I only have English and Irish)? How do I convert my LC grades to applicable UK grades?

Please, if anybody could help I'd be eternally grateful. And again, I'm sorry if this has been done to death - I just don't know where to begin!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127&Itemid=150

That should give you help with converting your points. The most important aspect of applying through UCAS is the personal statement. You need to start working on your personal statement right now, and keep working on drafts of it until you get it right.

You have very good LC results. However, the admissions people take into account your entire application.. and it is the strength of your personal statement that may give you the edge over another applicant. You will also need written references, from employers or academic references from your secondary school/previous education. You should start looking at the UCAS website now, register your account for it and start adding information now. There's a lot to do so take your time, and don't let it overwhelm you come January.

The University of Edinburgh is a top Uni in the UK, so yes, it's very competitive to get into. You can apply for 5 university places, so the wise thing to do would be to apply for a similar course in some of the other Scottish unis to increase your chances of receiving an offer. Glasgow is as competitive as Edinburgh, so maybe have a look at the UK University league tables (there are so many) and that will give you an idea of the better ones.

Although the deadline is in January, I had applied by the end of October, and started receiving my offers in December. I think that you shouldn't leave it to the last minute, and maybe set yourself the task of applying by Xmas. Remember, the personal statement is key!

Good luck!:)

Advertisement