Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Express Sound Card + hooking up 1/4 inch Mic

Options
  • 19-10-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I have a Sennheiser E825S Dynamic Cardioid Microphone

It has a 1/4 inch jack

I need a PCI express, or USB sound card, that's decent quality but less than €99

The sound card needs to be able to power the mic, I'm not an expert but I think it's called Phantom power in the business. I had a sound card that worked for it Soundblaster Elite PCI. But I upgraded my computer and it doesn't have any PCI slots :rolleyes:

Any suggestions guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

How about this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

illicit007 wrote: »
    The sound card needs to be able to power the mic
    Are you sure about that? Why would a dynamic mic need power?

I don't see any mention of power requirements here (whereas a condenser mic such as the E865 requires phantom power 12-48V as can be seen here (Technical Data tab).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Snowbat is right. Dynamic mics don't require phantom power.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

It doesn't need power...

Oops!

:rolleyes:

Er... thanks guys.. sorry!

(runs away in shame)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Don't run away, we haven't answered your question yet! :pac:

You could have a look here on Thomann for a PCI or USB interface. you'll easily get a decent quality one for under €100. The M-Audio Fast track USB is €59 for example. Shipping is another €15 though so you should shop around. The only problem is it would be unusual to find one with a mic level jack input. The jack inputs on most interfaces is line level or instrument level which is not suitable for mics. So you should see if you can pick up a jack to xlr converter. Female jack to male xlr.
    146628.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement