Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period for switching BB provider

• 19-10-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking to transfer from Eircom to UPC. I rand Eircom to check the notice period and they told me I have to send in a cancellation notice in writing and then allow 30 days.

When I rang UPC then said that if I follow the transfer my line option via them then there is no notice period and I should not be charged. When I rang Eircom back to confirm they said this was in-correct and if I did this there would be a standard €42 charge. They also asked if it was UPC that told me this

Can anyone confirm what the true situation is.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You have a contract with Eircom, what they're telling you sounds like what most telecoms providers include in their contract. The person you are speaking to in UPC is a call agent who is on commission for signing up new customers, treat anything they tell you with a high degree of suspicion. They can later deny anything they tell you, same as all telesales people whether it's electricity, BB or satellite TV. UPC is not a party to the contract you have with Eircom so they really shouldn't be saying what they're saying.

Unless you can dig out a copy of the contract you signed with Eircom and it says different from what they are saying, I'd be inclined to believe what they are telling you. Most utilities require written notice of the termination of a contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

With virtually all isps you will have a rolling one month's contract once the initial 12 month contract is completed. So you are required to give a month's contract if you wish to terminate the contract.

This can be awkward to manage if you are transferring between dsl providers but in this case you are not really "transferring" to UPC as they dont use dsl and there is nothing to stop you asking them to install their bb prior to you quitting Eircom. You may not of course want to be paying for two internet sources at the one time.

In any event as coylemj states about UPC should not be telling you to leave the "transfer" up to them.

Advertisement