Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man who disrupted boat race is jailed for 6 months.

• 19-10-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

A man who disrupted this year's University Boat Race has been jailed for six months for causing a public nuisance.

Trenton Oldfield, 36, of Myrdle Street, east London, swam into the path of crews on 7 April interrupting the 158th race between Oxford and Cambridge.

More here.

Jailed for 6 months for stopping a poxy fcuking boat race?

Thats what you get for sticking your oar in i suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Stupid judge thread number #104

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Meanwhile Séan Quinn junior released from prison due to "expired" charges.

I know it's Ireland not Britain, but the justice system priorities at it's best.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Fcuked up a national event that a bunch of people have trained for to be a twat.

Good enough for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Drakares wrote: »
    Meanwhile Séan Quinn junior released from prison due to "expired" charges.

I know it's Ireland not Britain, but the justice system priorities at it's best.

Not standing up for Sean Jr. here, his 3 month period of detention for contempt of court has expired. All prisoners are entitled to be released after their sentence is served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Fcuked up a national event that a bunch of people have trained for to be a twat.

Good enough for him.

it wouldn't have been jail if it had been an event for council estate residents though.

I do wonder why the BBC spend a fortune each year televising it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Super-Rush wrote: »

That's what you get for sticking your oar in i suppose.

But it was the rowers that were sticking their oars in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Good enough for him.

I agree.. they do train very hard to be twats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

He should of thrown garlic at the boats, apparently its more valuable to the safety of society!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Good enough for him.

Have to agree with that. I'm not a great fan of the Oxbridge rowing chaps but they are entitled to have their fun. (so long as they're not burning peasants)

On a slightly related issue, we haven't really heard much from this lad of late.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Horan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

sod him, that nutter irish priest that stopped the guy winning his race a few years ago should'a been sent to a pstchiatric hospital as well for 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Not standing up for Sean Jr. here, his 3 month period of detention for contempt of court has expired. All prisoners are entitled to be released after their sentence is served.

Aye, his contempt has not been purged so that sentence could be renewed. I think it's okay to release him while new solicitors review the case, but if in two weeks his contempt is not purged then him and his dad into prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

He is an idiot, he should be deported back to Australia, he can protest all he wants there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Good result I say dear chap. High jinks of this order have no place at Henley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

corktina wrote: »
    it wouldn't have been jail if it had been an event for council estate residents though.

I do wonder why the BBC spend a fortune each year televising it though

Yeah, but joy-riding and random abandonment of Tesco shopping trollys down railway embankments doesn't make good sporting television programming thought does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

AKA Fr Cornelius Hogan .......... famed underwater dancer for peace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Six months is a stupid amount of time for this, any amount of prison time would be stupid for such a nothing-offense.

Kurz wrote: »
    Six months is a stupid amount of time for this, any amount of prison time would be stupid for such a nothing-offense.

How is it a nothing offence? He put himself and others in danger, what if he got hurt, then the emergency services would have to rescue him, would he cover the cost of this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

And that muppet of a priest got nothing for ruining an Olympian's chance of gold.

One simply does not disrupt a rowing contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

How is it a nothing offence? He put himself and others in danger, what if he got hurt, then the emergency services would have to rescue him, would he cover the cost of this ?

If he had assaulted one of the participants after the thing he probably would have gotten a shorter sentence. Half a year in jail is excessive to the extreme. I don't know who covers the cost of what or how it's relevant? Six months housing someone in jail ain't cheap either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

And that muppet of a priest got nothing for ruining an Olympian's chance of gold.
    Wiki says otherwise.
    De Lima was awarded the Pierre de Coubertin Medal at the closing ceremony for his "...exceptional demonstration of fair play and Olympic values during this evening's marathon."[citation needed]
    The head of the Brazilian Track Federation launched an appeal based on the controversy surrounding Horan's interference in the marathon. The federation asked that de Lima also be awarded a gold medal, citing precedents set in past Olympic matches where extenuating circumstances have led to more than one winner in certain sports. This request was denied.
    Horan was given a 12 months' suspended sentence by a Greek court and fined €3,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

6 months? Sure you wouldnt serve that for sexual assaulting a teenager. Bit harsh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

why would anyone care about a load of billionairs racing in rowing boats? they should go to jail too haha

If he had assaulted one of the participants after the thing he probably would have gotten a shorter sentence. Half a year in jail is excessive to the extreme. I don't know who covers the cost of what or how it's relevant? Six months housing someone in jail ain't cheap either.

I suppose you have a point but what he did was stupid and ok six months is excessive but he deserved a very large fine.

What did he hope to achieve by his actions, he is criticising the country and its people after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Super-Rush wrote: »
    More here.

Jailed for 6 months for stopping a poxy fcuking boat race?

Thats what you get for sticking your oar in i suppose.

He deserved every day of it and should have been fined ten grand as well !! tosser !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Those rowers gave a whole year of their lives for that race and it was ruined by that clown. Im sure if that bottle in the 100m Olympic Final had have hit Usain Bolt or forced him to false start, people would be also be calling for the culprit to be punished severely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Good enough for him.

Twat training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Community service would have been better. Why waste tax payers money on a non violent offender like this. Madness that he finds himself up shits creek without a paddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Those rowers gave a whole year of their lives for that race and it was ruined by that clown. Im sure if that bottle in the 100m Olympic Final had have hit Usain Bolt or forced him to false start, people would be also be calling for the culprit to be punished severely.

Could they not just restart it? It doesn't have to be immediately....
    Also, Usain Bolt running in the Olympics 100m WORLD event, is not nearly the same as two teams in London.

Anne Molyneux- Circuit Judge (crime)
    This is the best job in the world. You are a part of the criminal justice system and the work is about ensuring that cases are tried fairly and that people are treated with respect, no matter who they are and no matter what their role in the proceedings might be.

You have a responsibility for people's lives and finding an appropriate sentence can be almost unbearably hard. It is a very intellectually and emotionally demanding role.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

why would anyone care about a load of billionairs racing in rowing boats? they should go to jail too haha
    The same reason people care about about a load of billionaires kicking a ball around a field, presumably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Deport him.

Dr House rowed in the boat race I'll have you know!

Here's one of those Oxford-scarf-wearing brats ruining a game of soccerball
    (Horrible music)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It's interesting that most people will accept this as fair, were happy that David Gilmour's son got a year for swinging off the cenotaph and that man who wrote something on his t-shirt about the dead police officers got a custodial sentence.

But they seem quite hacked off at the Pussy Riot sorts being jailed for running in to a church and screaming some nonsense.

They all don't seem very dissimilar to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pussy Riot were pretty much jailed at the behest of Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

mike65 wrote: »
    Pussy Riot were pretty much jailed at the behest of Putin.

Whereas Gilmour's son was jailed at the behest of the newspapers.

I am not saying one is right or one is wrong but there seems to be a big fuss in the UK about Pussy Riot when their own justice system is not averse to jailing people for offending the sensibilities of the majority.

• Advertisement

I didn't care about Pussy Riot initially, but when Madonna started mouthing about them, i hoped they got life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

This thread is about an offender getting jail time? Do the crime, do the time. His choice to be an idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Good result I say dear chap. High jinks of this order have no place at Henley.

Henley ?

I take it geography isn't your strong point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Community service would have been better. Why waste tax payers money on a non violent offender like this. Madness that he finds himself up shits creek without a paddle.

Those sentences are reserved for the likes of Justin Lee Collins who systemically abused his girlfriend for a number of years... nowhere near as bad as some eejit getting in the way of a row-boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Allyall wrote: »

Could they not just restart it? It doesn't have to be immediately....
    Also, Usain Bolt running in the Olympics 100m WORLD event, is not nearly the same as two teams in London.

Anne Molyneux- Circuit Judge (crime)

No. The tide is too fast to race outside of the very small time window just around high tide. And they can't just arbitrarily close the Thames to do it on another weekend. Once it was stopped, that was it. The hard work of 18 people ruined, the year of work for nothing, 'cause of one selfish twat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

And the nomination for the most 'ill thought out and pointless' post of the year goes to -

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Again, it all just comes down to money - has fcuk all to do with anything else.

The guy disrupted a prestigious event and so the judge is showboating (forgive the pun) in an obvious effort to appease those who were put out by the event having to be delayed.

Six months in prison for delaying a race is a total and utter nonsense, considering the amount of suspended sentences that get dished out over here regularly for vicious assaults and the like.

Can't for the life of me understand how anyone could it is justified.

No chance of any hyperbole then ....... ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Disrupted a boat race ?

That's a paddlin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Good enough for him.

With the crimes that go unpunished you think that this deserved a 6 month jail sentence?

If is had been a race between two lesser known universities nothing like this would have happened.

Money certainly talked in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is the fascist police state of England :)

This is the fascist police state of England :)

Yeah sure ....... :rolleyes:

Again, it all just comes down to money - has fcuk all to do with anything else.
    Ahhh so financial crimes by bankers should be ignored because it's only about money .... yeah ... we can go with that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Spot on, public nuisance me hole. The race was restarted 30 minutes later and now gets 6 months to ponder it. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement