Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man who disrupted boat race is jailed for 6 months.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I stopped reading after "In a period where many people have died following benefit cuts". Talk about hyperbole. Many people die after benefit increases and many people die after benefit stays the same. In general many people die regularly.

In fact, i make this post after many people have died since my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Wonder what the Leeds fan who assaulted Sheff Wed Goalkeeper Chris Kirkland tonight will get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

kfallon wrote: »
    Wonder what the Leeds fan who assaulted Sheff Wed Goalkeeper Chris Kirkland tonight will get?

Leeds will be fined £40,000,000 either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

kfallon wrote: »

I'd guess a year or more. Deservedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

There I was , having a bit of a swim - next thing two big fecking boats full of oars and things, and I end up in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

kincsem wrote: »
    This thread is about an offender getting jail time? Do the crime, do the time. His choice to be an idiot.

their was no crime, no he shouldn't be doing any time either, waste of time money and resources again, offending the upper class and the daily male readers is no reason for jail time, if we jailed people for being an idiot we'd most lightly have had everyone in jail at some stage, not surprised though people agree with it, they think jail should be used to sort out all problems mean while theirs no space for actual criminals.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

their was no crime, no he shouldn't be doing any time either, waste of time money and resources again, offending the upper class and the daily male readers is no reason for jail time, if we jailed people for being an idiot we'd most lightly have had everyone in jail at some stage, not surprised though people agree with it, they think jail should be used to sort out all problems mean while theirs no space for actual criminals.

If someone ran onto the pitch in the All Ireland Football Final and nicked all the balls so the game had to be stopped for 30mins as a protest against something or other he didn't like about the GAA would you feel the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If someone ran onto the pitch in the All Ireland Football Final and nicked all the balls so the game had to be stopped for 30mins as a protest against something or other he didn't like about the GAA would you feel the same?

Do you think they'd get six months in jail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

how much time...will he actually do......

there lies the farce........the law was broken......

• Advertisement

He shouldn't do any time. The farce is that the inheritance class in the UK make a mockery of the law. If this man disrupted a boat race between Hull Polytechnic and Bromley Technical College then he would have gotten a warning and maybe a fine.

Kurz wrote: »
    He shouldn't do any bloody time. The farce is that the inheritance class in the UK make a mockery of the law. If this man disrupted a boat race between Hull Polytechnic and Bromley Technical College then he would have gotten a warning and maybe a fine.

yes, and if somebody in dublin raped somebody, they would get off......

the point i was making....was, the law is an ass.....

cronyism is rife in every country......

yes, and if somebody in dublin raped somebody, they would get off......

the point i was making....was, the law is an ass.....

cronyism is rife in every country......

Is the fullstop key on your keyboard broke or what?

Kurz wrote: »
    Is the fullstop key on your keyboard broke or what?

no, it is on overdrive......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

CatFromHue wrote: »

yes, infact i wouldn't care a less

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

On targeting the race, he said: "It's a symbol of a lot of issues in Britain around class. Seventy per cent of government pushing through very significant cuts are Oxford or Cambridge graduates.
    ...and when they graduate from Oxford, and get into government, they'll always remember that arse from Oz who ruined their race...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Super-Rush wrote: »
    With the crimes that go unpunished you think that this deserved a 6 month jail sentence?

If is had been a race between two lesser known universities nothing like this would have happened.

Money certainly talked in this instance.

It's a national institution innit.

I get your point that there could be worse criminals / crimes and that is a factor but the coverage of what happened guaranteed the trial would be high profile.

I still think what he did was unfair to all those dudes who trained and took part but he also ruined a tradition that was going for over 150 years. He's a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

The oul judge was probably an ex Oxford or Cambridge lad..dont fcuk with the old school tie!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

I still think what he did was unfair to all those dudes who trained and took part but he also ruined a tradition that was going for over 150 years. He's a dick.

Don't think anyone disputes that, it's locking him up for six months that people have an issue with.

It's inconsistent with current sentences trends in the UK, grossly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

They should bring the chain gangs back in. Have them dressed in pink overalls cleaning up rubbish like they did with the lad from culture club in New York.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Don't think anyone disputes that, it's locking him up for six months that people have an issue with.

It's inconsistent with current sentences trends in the UK, grossly so.

True. He's still a complete dick though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

True. He's still a complete dick though.

yes he is and a public school educated one at that but its still a ridiculous sentence which I think shows how worried the establishment in england are about the lower classes(or even their selfappointed spokepeople) getting uppity in these recessionary times.Any kind of protest related offences in england at all at the moment are getting very harsh sentences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Is anyone else reading this like Malcolm in the Middle's friend, Stevie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That lad only got 4 months and already had previous convictions and football bans under his belt.

Advertisement