Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

dahat wrote: »
    5/10 EURO punter here,i dont really get into the finer details,i just lash a few euro th
    Sough PP mostly...

I see your logic though...

Sorry. People not backing best price is a pet peeve of mine. Drives me mad to see people putting loads of thought into bets and the just taking whatever crap price is offered by their usual bookie, when the alternative takes little effort. I understand for most its just a bit of craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

wadacrack wrote: »
    Pepe may have more experience but he can lose his head.

... and hack down one of our best players ruining our season. I'd prefer no Pepe, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

... and hack down one of our best players ruining our season. I'd prefer no Pepe, thank you.
    The players will be well protected by the ref. Pepe could easily give away a peno. Varane is also very quick which would be a hindrance to our counter attacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Counter attack football??

I miss those days.

Counter attack football??

I miss those days.
    Against Spurs we countered them with welbecks pace but the final ball was lacking. But yeah united not as effective on the counter as we were in 07-09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Me too. I remember one summer where sky ran a poll for best player of each position. Reina won goalie, carragher defender, Gerrard midfielder and Torres forward. Nicely in keeping with the scouse boom bust cycle

yeah but then i remember they did the team of all time and i think 7 or 8 of the players were united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

SAF fined £12,000 for his comments after the Spurs game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

kmart6 wrote: »
    SAF fined £12,000 for his comments after the Spurs game!

That's it? i was expecting a touch line ban or something. Piffling fine really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

That's it? i was expecting a touch line ban or something. Piffling fine really.

A fine is more than enough. What he said this time wasn't that bad compared to things that he has said in the past and been charged for or even what other managers have said this season and gotten away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

s_carnage wrote: »
    A fine is more than enough. What he said this time wasn't that bad compared to things that he has said in the past and been charged for or even what other managers have said this season and gotten away with.

I don't think he deserved any sort of punishment myself... i just thought they would come down on him harder. They were trying to say he thought the linesman was biased, whereas he was just saying the linesman had a shocker of a game, as he should be entitled to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is Fellani still injured? He has dominated us lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

dont know if anyone else has posted this but its fairly impressive stat. united have had a player who came from the youth setup in every match day squad since 1937

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2275551/David-Beckham-Duncan-Edwards-George-Best--Manchester-United-youth-team-graduate-EVERY-SQUAD-1937.html#axzz2KJpUiHyH
    IvySlayer wrote: »

he played last week and scored twice against villa so unless he came off injured against them i dont think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

zerks wrote: »
    Nice to see City opposed the new FFP ruling,are they scared it will affect how much their owners can bankroll them as they make massive losses?

Imagine if FFP had been introduced a couple of years ago,they certainly wouldn't have been winning the title.

At least after seasons of worrying how our debt might cripple the club,we can look forward to a brighter future as huge & ever growing numbers of sponsorship deals rake in the cash.

That's not even FFP. That's something te PL have come up with themselves. FFP is far stricter, afaik. You can only make losses in the 30 millions and you need to not breach a 50% wage to turnover ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

magnumbud wrote: »
    dont know if anyone else has posted this but its fairly impressive stat. united have had a player who came from the youth setup in every match day squad since 1937

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2275551/David-Beckham-Duncan-Edwards-George-Best--Manchester-United-youth-team-graduate-EVERY-SQUAD-1937.html#axzz2KJpUiHyH

Posted a few weeks back.Great stat tho

12 grand?Pocket change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That's not even FFP. That's something te PL have come up with themselves. FFP is far stricter, afaik. You can only make losses in the 30 millions and you need to not breach a 50% wage to turnover ratio.

The EPL club owners came up with their own version which isn't as strict as the original model,protecting their own interests methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

zerks wrote: »
    The FA came up with there own version which isn't as strict as the original model,protecting their own interests methinks.

It was the club owners who originally started the idea and decided on the rules afaik.

It was the club owners who originally started the idea and decided on the rules afaik.

Correct,
    A meeting of Premier League chairman in London voted to adopt spending controls and a form of restraint on salary increases.

The new rules state that clubs can only lose £105m between 2013-2016 and that wages bills over £52m can only rise £4m per season if funded through TV cash. Clubs that breach the Premier League’s new wage increase controls and loss limits will face point deductions. Whilst some clubs may complain, these rules are much more lenient than the €45m allowed by Uefa FFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The only thing that PL rule does is stops a similar situation to City and Chelsea happening, on the same scale. Actually, did they ever even make losses that high in a single year?

It's not going to protect any small teams from incurring huge losses through crazy owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd put my house on carragher winning that tbh...

When was he better then about half of those even????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The only thing that PL rule does is stops a similar situation to City and Chelsea happening, on the same scale. Actually, did they ever even make losses that high in a single year?

It's not going to protect any small teams from incurring huge losses through crazy owners.

They have both reported huge losses yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

kryogen wrote: »
    When was he better then about half of those even????

Right about now I'd say, on account of most of them being retired! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Cleverley better play against Madrid.

He has had a positive influence on the side all this season and he deserves his place. He works hard, is quality in possession and has the ability to nick a goal. His attributes aside he also needs the experience of playing in such a big game.

I would love to see Kagawa involved as on the counter he is a great player to feed the ball to and get players running off him. He won't lose the ball.

The Everton game will tell a lot about the likely team for Madrid though. Either way both will be key players over the next few weeks as the team will be mixed up. Its time like these that make the headache of having a big squad of players wanting to get games worth the effort in keeping them happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I could have picked this whole thing up arse-ways, but as I understand it:

Lost: £197.5m in the 2010/11 season.
    Lost: £97.9m in the 2011/2 (their cost remains ridiculously high but was offset by revenue growth)

They'd have to cut that by another third (roughly) to only lose £35 million per year for 3 years to be complaint. (105/3)

They've a long long way to go. Hopefully they can't "work" the system by having some super "sponsorship" contract (that is really backed by Sheikh Mansour) to artificially boost club revenue.

Source:
    http://www.mcfc.com/News/Club-news/2012/December/MCFC-Annual-Report-2011-12

• Advertisement

Seems like we've been linked with Mirko Vucinic since the beginning of time. Reminds me of the Krasic links, complete BS.

Blatter wrote: »
    Seems like we've been linked with Mirko Vucinic since the beginning of time. Reminds me of the Krasic links, complete BS.

Ah here, we should be getting some royalties off this chap at this stage! He's been using us to get bigger and better contracts for years. He isn't better than any of our current options.

The Krasic links I can understand. He is a quality player on his day, he played fantastically well against us a few years ago, Fergie loves a winger, and made reference to what a tough task Fabio had to try and keep a player like him quiet when we played them.

Rooney10 wrote: »

The Krasic links I can understand. He is a quality player on his day, he played fantastically well against us a few years ago, Fergie loves a winger, and made reference to what a tough task Fabio had to try and keep a player like him quiet when we played them.

I can see what you're saying but I remember Krasic being linked to every club under the Sun as well as us. Always felt it was agent work rather than any firm interest. You'd have to think the Lewandowski links are of the same ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I could have picked this whole thing up arse-ways, but as I understand it:

Lost: £197.5m in the 2010/11 season.
    Lost: £97.9m in the 2011/2 (their cost remains ridiculously high but was offset by revenue growth)

They'd have to cut that by another third (roughly) to only lose £35 million per year for 3 years to be complaint. (105/3)

They've a long long way to go. Hopefully they can't "work" the system by having some super "sponsorship" contract (that is really backed by Sheikh Mansour) to artificially boost club revenue.

Source:
    http://www.mcfc.com/News/Club-news/2012/December/MCFC-Annual-Report-2011-12

I think United end up doing City a huge favour with the crazy sponsorship deals we get. The Sheikhs can then point to those United sponsorship deals as representing market value for a top end PL club.

Not that we shouldn't be very happy with the big sponsorship deals the Glazers manage to get, it's just annoying that it helps the sugar daddy clubs too.

Blatter wrote: »
    I can see what you're saying but I remember Krasic being linked to every club under the Sun as well as us. Always felt it was agent work rather than any firm interest. You'd have to think the Lewandowski links are of the same ilk.

True, whether there was any interest or not, who knows. It was probably 2+2 = 5, rather than usual complete horsesh!t (2 + nothing = TRANSFER)

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think United end up doing City a huge favour with the crazy sponsorship deals we get. The Sheikhs can then point to those United sponsorship deals as representing market value for a top end PL club.

Not that we shouldn't be very happy with the big sponsorship deals the Glazers manage to get, it's just annoying that it helps the sugar daddy clubs too.

True, although you'd hope that if they suddenly jump from a sponsorship worth X and suddenly it jumps to ten times that, that somebody would stall the digger and ask some questions.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

True, whether there was any interest or not, who knows. It was probably 2+2 = 5, rather than usual complete horsesh!t (2 + nothing = TRANSFER)

But 2+2 does = 5...

for large values of 2

IvySlayer wrote: »

Moyes says he'll be fit.He had a bruised hip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Posted a few weeks back.Great stat tho

12 grand?Pocket change
    It was the fa cup game vs arsenal a year or two back, where we played a midfield with raf and fabio in it that broke the sequence of games with a product in the starting line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Chico averages a goal every 77.2 minutes, Best goal to minutes ration in the premier league this season

http://www.givemefootball.com/331224-hernandez-is-premier-leagues-most-lethal-striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Chico averages a goal every 77.2 minutes, Best goal to minutes ration in the premier league this season

http://www.givemefootball.com/331224-hernandez-is-premier-leagues-most-lethal-striker

What is even more impressive is the fact that second place is a whole 22 minutes behind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Zaha in action on Sky Sports 1 now.

Zaha in action on Sky Sports 1 now.
    He played very well. great dribbling and great at one on ones !! Hopefully at United he will progress his end product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

wadacrack wrote: »
    He played very well. great dribbling and great at one on ones !! Hopefully at United he will progress his end product

Some lovely touches. Some lovely turns. Some good end product. Some wayward passing. His crossing looks a bit suspect. Raw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Great article from Miguel Delaney on DDG/Keepers/Fergie.

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/keeping-the-faith-De-Gea.aspx

Basically I agree with it all.

Top quality young keeper, culpable on some goals (no doubt) but something you should expect from a young keeper - but not something United can really accept with our margins, and no good way to protect him. Also points out Fergie's poor record with keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Howard never made the saves De Gea makes. De Gea's got a hundred times the mental resilience too, Howard quailed after his first six months. Regardless, I don't think we're buying Begovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Something a bit different, what youth players did ye think were sure to become big stars for Utd, but never did?
    Like Macheda when as a 17 y/o looked very promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

It's now nearly 4 years after his goals against Villa and Sunderland, and Macheda has never ever looked like being close to good enough for United.
    4 goals in 37 appearances (wiki) tells it's own story.

Nailed on to leave in the summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

What that PL rule means is that the likes of Everton and the teams hovering around mid table will never get a sugardaddy so they will never have a chance to win the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I thought that we could round out the edges on Obertan, that there was a decent-to-good Premier League level winger in there. I was wrong. He's all the game intelligence of a sack of hammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I was convinced Brady was gonna be good enough. I liked him when he played. Maybe it was just because he was Irish I was looking at him through green tinted glasses. Really sad to see him move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Something a bit different, what youth players did ye think were sure to become big stars for Utd, but never did?
    Like Macheda when as a 17 y/o looked very promising.

I thought Chris Eagles would kick on from his peach of a goal against Everton in that epic comeback win at Goodison in 06/07. The perennial "Too good for reserves" player, has found his level now in the Championship.

Frazier Campbell was another I had high enough hopes for.

Also, Danny Simpson had one excellent game for us, against Wigan I think, that had me thinking he would succeed Neville. Don't rate him at all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Also points out Fergie's poor record with keepers.

There's been quite a few dodgy ones all right but most didn't last long. Against that you have to accept Schmeichel and VDS, and DDG is a pretty damn good keeper right now with the potential to be world class.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Jonothon Spector would have been one I thought was gonna be a Utd player for many years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement