Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Rossi.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pogba and Rav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I could have picked this whole thing up arse-ways, but as I understand it:

Lost: £197.5m in the 2010/11 season.
    Lost: £97.9m in the 2011/2 (their cost remains ridiculously high but was offset by revenue growth)

They'd have to cut that by another third (roughly) to only lose £35 million per year for 3 years to be complaint. (105/3)

They've a long long way to go. Hopefully they can't "work" the system by having some super "sponsorship" contract (that is really backed by Sheikh Mansour) to artificially boost club revenue.

Source:
    http://www.mcfc.com/News/Club-news/2012/December/MCFC-Annual-Report-2011-12

Is it backdated? Seems like a weird thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Gerard Piqué, if only he had to have stayed a year or two longer he would've nailed a first team place in for himself what with the ageing Ferdinand and a Vidic who is picking up frequent injuries. But now of course he's doing pretty well for himself, obviously, with Barça, I'm sure he has no regrets in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Him and Fabregas were the same, they were always going to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

At work tonight I was reading last months fourfourtwo, Rio was being interviewed in it. Wasn't great, but there were a few things in it, one being that United fans showed up at his front door with their faces hidden telling him to sign a new contract.

My favourite part, forget the first part of the question but the end was
    "..do you still like a practical joke? Ever done one on Fergie?"

Rio - "....Fergie? No. Ronaldo used to, he'd hide his shoes and stuff, but Ronnie was like his pet so he'd get away with things like that"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Bojan Djordjic I thought was gonna be a quality player but alas it was not to be the case....was great in football manager one year though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Something a bit different, what youth players did ye think were sure to become big stars for Utd, but never did?
    Like Macheda when as a 17 y/o looked very promising.

Possebon, Rossi, Eikrem, Pogba, Morrisson are the ones that stand out after the last couple of years. For four of them there were different factors that meant it didn't happen for them (at least at united) but I'm still puzzled as to why Eikrem didn't hang around one more year (or why united didn't want to hold on to him) to see if he would get a sniff of the first team. Very good footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

News round up

Fergie to pick two different UTD teams for the next two matches
    "It will be different teams," said Ferguson. "The team on Sunday will not be the same as the team that plays on Wednesday.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8482900/Manchester-United-boss-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-to-pick-two-different-teams

Rather disappointingly Everton star Marouane Fellaini has remarkably told Chelsea to come and make a bid for him, if they want him.
    "If Chelsea want to sign me, then they need to come forward with a bid for me," he is quoted by the Sun.
    "I have heard about Chelsea's interest but I've honestly not spoken to them.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/8482929/Belgian-international-Marouane-Fellaini-tells-Chelsea-to-make-an-offer

Fergies also had a bit of a moan about how the television fixture schedule is harming Premier League sides' chances of success in Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21391842

That's all for now. News and weather will follow with the next bulletin being at 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Sorry. People not backing best price is a pet peeve of mine. Drives me mad to see people putting loads of thought into bets and the just taking whatever crap price is offered by their usual bookie, when the alternative takes little effort. I understand for most its just a bit of craic

I'd like to have the finances to get involved in value a bit more but fun bets are where i am just now..
    Plenty of money to be made on football bets as opposed to racing etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Team selection for tomorrow anyone?I wonder will he start RVP on the bench.Fully expect Rafael to be benched owing to Fellani

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Interview with Fabio on Football Focus shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Something a bit different, what youth players did ye think were sure to become big stars for Utd, but never did?
    Like Macheda when as a 17 y/o looked very promising.
    Morrison, pogba, David jones. Thought those three would be stars. Thought jones would be our captain one day.

Thought eikrem had a shot too.

Thought tunnicliffe and petrucci would become stars, both still at the club but think it is too late for either to make the step up required.

News round
    Fergie to pick two different UTD teams for the next two matches

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8482900/Manchester-United-boss-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-to-pick-two-different-teams

Rather disappointingly Everton star Marouane Fellaini has remarkably told Chelsea to come and make a bid for him, if they want him.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/8482929/Belgian-international-Marouane-Fellaini-tells-Chelsea-to-make-an-offer

Fergies also had a bit of a moan about how the television fixture schedule is harming Premier League sides' chances of success in Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21391842

That's all for now. News and weather will follow with the next bulletin being at 6.
    Of course it will be different teams. Two very different games. PL at home and a massive euro away game. There will be changes but it won't be whole sale changes. Have to remember the next game is reading in the cup on Monday, so plenty of time and opportunity to rest the players aft the Madrid game on Wednesday.

Interview with Fabio on Football Focus shortly.

Whoops! Getting my Twitter feeds mixed up here!

Interview is actually in the Independent!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/exclusive-interview-fabio-da-silva-on-leaving-manchester-united-and-brother-rafael-behind-8488065.html

Fergie and Alonso appearing on Football Focus in preview of the Madrid game.

Defiant words from Fergie!

"if you went five years without a trophy, would you feel the pressure?".... "that wouldnt happen."

Mistakes from last season "wont happen again"

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

By the sounds of that BBC interview with Fergie its not winning another Champions league/ League title/ Age or anything like that will decide when he calls it a day at Old Trafford. It sounds like as long as he has his health he will remain on.

Nice interview, really shows the mans passion and love for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

worrying Fergie is consider two different teams tomorrow, surely at least 5 or 6 lads can play in both games and then not play against Reading, meaning only 2 games in two weeks.

we need everybody playing tomorrow, have a feeling that he is slightly telling porkies

Kagawa probably wont play tomorrow and RVP perhaps and we have 8 options at the back, so no real worries there.

would expect the following tomorrow -

DDG

Rafael Smalling Vidic Evra
    Nani Carrick Anderon Giggs
    Rooney Hernandez

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I wouldn't put much faith in SAFs talk about playing two different teams.

He probably wants Moyes to think it will be a 'weaker' 11 against them and then Mourinho trying to guess who he will on the Wednesday.

I was expecting two different teams now I'm less inclined to think it will happen:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

De Gea
    Evra
    Ferdinand
    Evans
    Smalling
    Vidic
    Jones (if fit)
    Rafael
    Carrick
    Anderson
    Cleverley
    Giggs
    Nani
    Valencia
    Young
    Kagawa
    Welbeck
    Rooney
    RvP
    Hernandez

There are 20 players there (19 definitely fit), and all of them are good enough to be beating Everton at home. Why wouldn't SAF use the squad and do everything in his power to have his starting 11 for the Madrid game (our hardest and most important game of the season) in peak condition?

I predict around 7/8 changes.

Of course it will be two different teams. Different teams does not mean two different 11s.

Reckon rafael will sit out tomorrow with smallng coming in for height. Rio or vidic will be rested due to fitness concerns. Sure there could be other tactical changes.

When was the last time fergie put out the same team two games running? Certainly doesn't happen often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Pogba says he has no regrets over leaving united, and says scholes coming out of retirement was the final straw.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/8483179/Scholes-return-saw-Pogba-quit

Fergie will see the Everton game as winnable with a supposedly weaker squad. He'll also be less upset over losing or drawing the Everton game considering our lead at the top than he would be losing to Madrid. Changing a good number of players will be a calculated risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He will want to beat Everton and will put out a team capable pf doing that, with RVP on the bench in case of emergency, We have a squad more then capable of beating them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I meant it in the sense of two completely different line ups. Initially I was thinking 7/8 changes. Now more like 3/4.

I would expect the stronger side on Wednesday. I'm not fussed either way as SAF will do what he needs to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pogba says he has no regrets over leaving united, and says scholes coming out of retirement was the final straw.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/8483179/Scholes-return-saw-Pogba-quit
    "He obviously thought I didn't deserve the contract I asked for, and didn't put me in the team even though he had no midfield players. It was his choice.

Good to see him saying things that others wouldn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

After that interview with Football Focus . I'm convinced he'll play a strong team and make sure the game is won before making any changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Henriquez on the bench yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I dont mind the approach Martinez has taken with him so far, just hope his minutes dont get too limited now Kone is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jaysus Bale certainly has raised the bar over the last few weeks, he was amazing again today.

can Spurs hold on to him? cant see us ever going for him anyway after buying Zaha, the only way we could afford him was with that money plus whatever we would get for Nani leaving, but its not going to happen eitherway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

jaysus Bale certainly has raised the bar over the last few weeks, he was amazing again today.

can Spurs hold on to him? cant see us ever going for him anyway after buying Zaha, the only way we could afford him was with that money plus whatever we would get for Nani leaving, but its not going to happen eitherway.

We were never going to be able to afford him, not with Daniel Levy in charge of the deals there. He's going to milk every penny out of Bale if and when he leaves.

I reckon only Barca, PSG or Madrid could afford him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Really should start the same team in the same positions in both games imo, the odds of significant injuries are minuscule and the team will need some time to get used to each other if only 90 minutes. There has been a huge lack of understanding in the players recently and he can take off the big players if it's all going to plan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

We were never going to be able to afford him, not with Daniel Levy in charge of the deals there. He's going to milk every penny out of Bale if and when he leaves.

He'd be a good replacement for Ronaldo.:D

• Advertisement

I reckon £35m would buy him. He won't leave this summer and the following summer he'll have just over two years left on his contract so he's not as heavily contracted up as Modric was. I expect us to be involved if he does want to leave.

Liam O wrote: »
    Really should start the same team in the same positions in both games imo, the odds of significant injuries are minuscule and the team will need some time to get used to each other if only 90 minutes. There has been a huge lack of understanding in the players recently and he can take off the big players if it's all going to plan too.

I agree with this. Barca rarely changed their team over the last couple of years and played back to back games without a huge amount of injury or fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Ferguson with watery eyes towards the end of the interview as he talks about retirement, his age, health etc.

cute+meme.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I agree with this. Barca rarely changed their team over the last couple of years and played back to back games without a huge amount of injury or fatigue.

Personally i think its easier for a barca player to play back to back games because the physical demands of la liga football is less than the premier league and less likely to be injured by a bad tackle.

Personally i think its easier for a barca player to play back to back games because the physical demands of la liga football is less than the premier league and less likely to be injured by a bad tackle.

Barca run far more on average than United. It would also be a risk you would have to make a call on - whether or not a player would get injured. It's not a huge risk imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'd say it has more to do with the amount of possession that they have. They've an average of something like 70% possession. That's outrageous. I know they work hard when they don't have the ball, but they don't expend half as much energy as most teams who play against them I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd say it has more to do with the amount of possession that they have.

And the drugs of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Petrucci has apparently just scored a "screamer" for Peterborough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ShaunC

CR 7 wrote: »

With Ronaldo on his way home to Utd.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ShaunC

CR 7 wrote: »

Then we could sell Nani to spurs;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

ShaunC wrote: »

We can dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

C'mon The Saints!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

C'mon The Saints!
    Blow the whistle ref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

A real Puncheon the nads for City there ... ... Ill get my coat

So if Fergie does do the irritatingly unthinkable and stupid, and make god damned whole sale changes between Everton and Real, what you reckon the teams will be?

I'm saying:

Everton

Lindegaard
    Smalling---Ferdinand--Evans---Buttner
    Valencia
    Anderson---Carrick---Nani
    Welbeck--Hernandez

Real Madrid

De Gea
    Rafael
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra
    Valencia-Cleverley-Carrick-Kagawa-Rooney
    Van Persie

Can't think of how to replace Valencia and Carrick - I personally don't think we'll be seeing Jones or Young in the short, for either Everton/Madrid game anyway.

Also don't think we'll get a result with that team vs Everton.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement