Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

3 points tomorrow. I don't care how or by how many just 12 point gap please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If I was Sir Alex I would send out the strongest possible team and hope we go up a couple of goals and then start bringing off RVP and Rooney... lets not give city any sort of hope and kill off their spirit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

given the fact that it we will rest players, we play Madrid on Wednesday, tomorrow is against a team who have given United and City trouble galore over the past 2 years, a draw wont be a bad result.

a draw against Everton tomorrow would be a decent result.

I agree a draw wouldn't be bad, especially if we do get to rest some players for Madrid, but I wouldn't take a draw now if you offered it to me, its a match we should be winning.

Obviously if you offered me 10 points clear at this stage at start of the season I would bite your hand off for it, but just after last season I don't want to see any thought of complacency creeping in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I agree a draw wouldn't be bad, especially if we do get to rest some players for Madrid, but I wouldn't take a draw now if you offered it to me, its a match we should be winning.

Obviously if you offered me 10 points clear at this stage at start of the season I would bite your hand off for it, but just after last season I don't want to see any thought of complacency creeping in.

considering there is a chance he will rest probably 7 or 8 of our first team, i think you are missing the point.

of course everybody wants 3 points, but ill be happy with 1, all things taken into consideration. Everton are also a really good team, even without our first 11 out, there is no guarantee we would win.

its a huge game. by the way, anybody from here going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Stick the knife in and twist it. This team bottled it last year and because of that its not near over yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Any chance we can win it within the next six games, and then get the trophy when we play City at OT :P :P :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Stick the knife in and twist it. This team bottled it last year and because of that its not near over yet.

and yet, drawing with Wigan or City would have won us the league. we had 3 chances to win it, blew it on all 3, not just Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Real Madrid v Seville: Diego López, Arbeloa, Ramos, Albiol, Coentrao; Essien, Modric, Cristiano, Kaká, Higuaín y Benzema

Di Maria (suspended tonight anyway), Ozil, Khedira, Alonso (has slight injury but will be fit for Wed), and Pepe rested. Not sure what the story with Marcelo is, he isn't in the squad. Read that he fell out with Mourinho, he certainly hasn't been playing him a lot recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm more looking at it in the context of what I think this City side are capable of.

City win their last 12 games - we only need to win 9 of our last 13 and get a draw.

City win 10 of their last 12 games - we only need 7 wins in our last 13 and a draw.

I don't even think they'll win that many. They'll get a draw here and there and lose some too. It'd be a way bigger bottle job this year, considering how City are playing. They looked strong last year, even when we were 8 points clear. that's not the case this year.

I'm more looking at it in the context of what I think this City side are capable of.

City win their last 12 games - we only need to win 9 of our last 13 and get a draw.

City win 10 of their last 12 games - we only need 7 wins in our last 13 and a draw.

I don't even think they'll win that many. They'll get a draw here and there and lose some too. It'd be a way bigger bottle job this year, considering how City are playing. They looked strong last year, even when we were 8 points clear. that's not the case this year.

Plus we have van Persie this season.

I'll be amazed if we don't win it now.

• Advertisement

Match thread here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Go for the win. We are at home and top of the table for a reason. Our 2nd X1 (even though there will be a good few first X1) is still very good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

City only started playing last season when the league was effectively over. Like they had no pressure on them. Same could happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Need to capitalise on this slip. Mind you if we were offered the gap to be still 9 pts this morning I can't think of many who would've turned that down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Need to capitalise on this slip. Mind you if we were offered the gap to be still 9 pts this morning I can't think of many who would've turned that down.

that was this morning ;)

Petrucci goal

It was a huge game for them. Bottom of table and looking like a home defeat and it turned things around. Great goal and at a vital time

Anyone know how Jesse Lingaard has been getting on this year? He impressed in pre-season and I was hoping to see more of him but havent seen too much of the reserves this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

If we get a win tomorrow does anyone here still think the title is not a nailed on certainty for UTD given City's result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If we get a win tomorrow does anyone here still think the title is not a nailed on certainty for UTD given City's result?
    I would still be cautious until its impossible for City to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dave0301

What if the entire United squad get some mysterious bug until the end of the league and all we can do is play the reserve team? See you can't be certain that won't happen.

We will be a nailed on certainty for the league when City cannot mathematically catch us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Ronaldo's just after scoring a ridiculous goal v Sevilla. Hopefully getting it all out of his system before Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

I want a full strength team tomorrow, lets drive this home forget this ah we'd have taken a 9 point lead in August business, we have a chance of putting 15 points between us before they play next against Chelsea, lets do that and give them no reason for optimism going into a game where Chelsea will eye pushing for 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

yabadabado wrote: »
    I would still be cautious until its impossible for City to win it.
    Dave0301 wrote: »
    What if the entire United squad get some mysterious bug until the end of the league and all we can do is play the reserve team? See you can't be certain that won't happen.

We will be a nailed on certainty for the league when City cannot mathematically catch us.

I understand the caution but a win or even a draw tomorrow would mean we could lose our three toughest (toughest on paper at least) remaining fixtures and still be on top. City and Chelsea at home and the Gunners away.

Given that fact and Fergie's recent interview saying he won't repeat last years mistakes I think it would take a miracle, like the bug you talked about Dave for City to reclaim the title.

This gap will help our chances in Europe too should we get through the Madrid tie. An easy draw for the qtr's and we could have another semi on our hands. I gave us no chance of winning the UCL this season until we signed RVP but now I have a little hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ronaldo 2 goals and an assist in this game so far..

Watching Madrid, they're perfectly doable. They'll score goals against us but we'll score against them no doubt. 2-2 is my prediction for the first leg.

Ronnie x3, oh dear

• Advertisement

Ronnie now off at 62 mins with Madrid 4-0 up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Scores a hattrick and gets rested for half an hour, Ronaldo couldn't really have had better preparation for Wednesday! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

That first goal was brilliant. The second was a terrible error in the defence, but he did superbly well to capitalise on it. The third was a tap in.

To sum up, we're ****ed if he is allowed any space at all. And even at that he'll probably still be able to find a way to score.

Whoever is starting at centre back could do worse than watching Wes Brown's performance against Barcelona in 2008. That was one of the best defensive performances I've seen. Something similar will be needed against Real.

Was taking to a Spanish buddy [big Real Madrid supporter] of mine today who is studying English in Ireland for a year.... he tell's me back in Spain most supporters are expecting these two legs to be nothing more then a walkover - he said the vast majority don't rate united at all, in particular our mid-field and call in to question the quality of the Premier League with united leading it...:rolleyes:

I think this match it set up lovely for a big United shock, I would love to beat Real at home... even just to wipe the smile off their faces... I put a tidy little bet on with him and fully expect to win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

That first goal was brilliant. The second was a terrible error in the defence, but he did superbly well to capitalise on it. The third was a tap in.

To sum up, we're ****ed if he is allowed any space at all. And even at that he'll probably still be able to find a way to score.

Whoever is starting at centre back could do worse than watching Wes Brown's performance against Barcelona in 2008. That was one of the best defensive performances I've seen. Something similar will be needed against Real.

Then he went on to get the assist for Ronny in the final, fantastic cross and header.

I'm confident we won't lose in Spain. Its my R&G week this coming week, so Ill be ****ed for the game, so hopefully decent result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Is Phil Jones injured for tomorrow?

Remember hearing Ferguson saying something about Stuart Pearce revealing he had some illness but hadn't heard any follow up on it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

irishfeen wrote: »
    We are MANCHESTER UNITED.... we don't do draws :).... forget about drawing and just go out and beat them, lets try and wrap this thing up...

We certainly did do draws, in the Dave Sexton era :pac:

You have to laugh. If Hart played for us, after today we'd have 20 pages of how **** he is, manager has a blind spot in relation to keepers, etc etc

Over on the Citeh thread, about six posts in a week.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

ninja900 wrote: »
    We certainly did do draws, in the Dave Sexton era
    .... certainly not in the Ferguson era anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ronaldo will destroy Rafael
    id say Man U will need Jones to try & close down some space for CR7
    i can see Real winning the 1st leg 3-0
    Alonso,Khedira,Ozil will control midfield i think too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Funny enough I haven't seen Bale or Ribery destroy him. All depends on what type of game it is. If its open then Ronaldo will have plenty of efforts on goal but if its a tight game he might be a bit more manageable.

Knew the "I don't see the comments about Harts mistake, if it was DDG he'd be crucified" stuff about again.

I don't see the point.

1. They mentioned it was a howler on MOTD and that he should have done better.

2. He's their national goalkeeper. When did Shay Given ever get criticized over here? Never, not even after being a shambles in the summer :)

So how about when Hart makes a mistake, DDG isn't mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Knew the "I don't see the comments about Harts mistake, if it was DDG he'd be crucified" stuff about again.

I don't see the point.

1. They mentioned it was a howler on MOTD and that he should have done better.

2. He's their national goalkeeper. When did Shay Given ever get criticized over here? Never, not even after being a shambles in the summer :)

So how about when Hart makes a mistake, DDG isn't mentioned?
    im not DDG biggest fan
    but its alot different when he makes a mistake
    its DDG should be sold,Man U need a new keeper etc
    when Joe Hart does
    its thats very unlike Joe Hart he is one of the best keepers in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

De Gea needs time too bulk up and hell be fine

MD1990 wrote: »
    im not DDG biggest fan
    but its alot different when he makes a mistake
    its DDG should be sold,Man U need a new keeper etc
    when Joe Hart does
    its thats very unlike Joe Hart he is one of the best keepers in the world

I haven't heard anything like that regarding DDG and I haven't heard anything like that regarding Joe Hart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I haven't heard anything like that regarding DDG and I haven't heard anything like that regarding Joe Hart.

I have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Of course Hart and DDG are treated a bit differently when they make mistakes, it's obvious when you look at the analysis. It is to be expected seeing as Hart is their national keeper, they're not going to go over the top every time he makes a mistake. But that doesn't mean there should be over the top criticism of other keepers for their mistakes, like there is on occasion from some people about De Gea. It's natural imo that the two are going to be compared(both their mistakes and their good points) given that they are two young goalkeepers at the top two teams in the league.

Regarding Hart's mistake this evening, the thing that annoyed me most about it was how the boys on ESPN were trying to put the best possible light on it, despite the fact it was a howler. They called it an awful mistake, as it was, but the presenter kept referring to Hart's penalty save from Ronaldinho in midweek as if that somehow cancelled out the mistake, I'm not quite sure what that had to do with it! They should call it as it is, it was a poor moment, he'll learn from it, and move on. The same when De Gea makes a mistake. He's improved a great deal from last season already and I feel will become a truly world-class keeper, but the first sign of him failing to deal with a cross or not parrying a shot out for a corner, and some sections of the media and some pundits are on his back again. ALL keepers make mistakes in their career, even VDS and the Great Dane had a few shockers(though some may choose to forget them).

Anyway, too much has been said about the whole DDG/Hart comparisons or mistakes already, that's just my 2 cents.

They said on MOTD tonight that ''it was a poor mistake but he'll be the first to tell you that'' - as if that actually exonerates him to a degree.

Lineker then made the point that he's made a few mistakes this season but Shearer totally blanked him. Hilarious stuff.

ESPN were worse.

Blatter wrote: »
    They said on MOTD tonight that ''it was a poor mistake but he'll be the first to tell you that'' - as if that actually exonerates him to a degree.

Lineker then made the point that he's made a few mistakes this season but Shearer totally blanked him. Hilarious stuff.

ESPN were worse.

What's wrong with saying that? It sounds from that, that Shearer knows him. Can hardly expect him to say the same about DDG as he wouldn't know him.

Trilla wrote: »
    I have

Very rare occasions then. Not like the way it's been talked about on here.
    Can you get any link/video that backs you up?

What's wrong with saying that? It sounds from that, that Shearer knows him. Can hardly expect him to say the same about DDG as he wouldn't know him.

I can actually. Pundits have a duty to be unbiased and fair with their analysis.

Blatter wrote: »
    I can actually. Pundits have a duty to be unbiased and fair with their analysis.

No they don't.

Don't know where you get this idea from.

Liam Brady spring to mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No they don't.

Pundits are supposed to be as unbiased as possible, some do fail, but most succeed in this.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Pundits are supposed to be as unbiased as possible, some do fail, but most succeed in this.

I don't expect pundits to be unbiased.

They often have managers as pundits on MOTD 2, expect them to be unbiased? :)

I don't expect the english media to criticize hart, he's their national keeper.

No they don't.

Liam Brady being biased at times doesn't subtract from the fact that all pundits should be, or at least strive to be unbiased and fair.

I don't get how you think it's acceptable for a pundit to be blatantly biased. Pundits are supposed to be 'experts' in their field and that is why they're used for analysis. Analysis cannot be expert if it's biased.

Put it this way, ask BBC, RTE, Sky, ITV or whoever if they expect their pundits to be unbiased and fair. They will all answer 'yes, we do'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

wonder what gary has to say about joe on monday nite football??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement