Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

shrewdness wrote: »
    Of course Hart and DDG are treated a bit differently when they make mistakes, it's obvious when you look at the analysis. It is to be expected seeing as Hart is their national keeper, they're not going to go over the top every time he makes a mistake. But that doesn't mean there should be over the top criticism of other keepers for their mistakes, like there is on occasion from some people about De Gea. It's natural imo that the two are going to be compared(both their mistakes and their good points) given that they are two young goalkeepers at the top two teams in the league.

Regarding Hart's mistake this evening, the thing that annoyed me most about it was how the boys on ESPN were trying to put the best possible light on it, despite the fact it was a howler. They called it an awful mistake, as it was, but the presenter kept referring to Hart's penalty save from Ronaldinho in midweek as if that somehow cancelled out the mistake, I'm not quite sure what that had to do with it! They should call it as it is, it was a poor moment, he'll learn from it, and move on. The same when De Gea makes a mistake. He's improved a great deal from last season already and I feel will become a truly world-class keeper, but the first sign of him failing to deal with a cross or not parrying a shot out for a corner, and some sections of the media and some pundits are on his back again. ALL keepers make mistakes in their career, even VDS and the Great Dane had a few shockers(thought some may choose to forget them).

Anyway, too much has been said about the whole DDG/Hart comparisons or mistakes already, that's just my 2 cents.

They didn't put a positive spin on it. They used the words "absolute howler" about 10 times. They pointed out how he had a good game at Wembley then they contrasted that with the shocking game he had today . Hero to villian style. He was criticised and people still arent happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Blatter wrote: »
    Liam Brady being biased at times doesn't subtract from the fact that all pundits should be, or at least strive to be unbiased and fair.

I don't get how you think it's acceptable for a pundit to be blatantly biased. Pundits are supposed to be 'experts' in their field and that is why they're used for analysis. Analysis cannot be expert if it's biased.

Put it this way, ask BBC, RTE, Sky, ITV or whoever if they expect their pundits to be unbiased and fair. They will all answer 'yes, we do'.

They'll say yes because that's what they want the viewers to believe. Because when a pundit says something like "Utd are the biggest club in the world" it will make the viewers think they are unbiased and that Utd are the biggest club in the world.

For pundits to be unbiased they have to have no connection to any clubs or country in connection usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Okay, so what isn't fair is that De Gea punches a ball out that happens to fall to an opposition attacker and he passes it to a teammate score. Suddenly he isn't good enough, his team have lost faith in him and we are actually now selling him to buy Begovic.

Contrast this reaction with the one a goalkeeper who is lauded for his extraordinary goalkeeping skills had, despite making a similar number of errors to De Gea and letting in a goal similar to the one Taibi did a few years back. The type of error De Gea has never made.

It's getting to be a cliche at this point and it makes me look like a bit of a tin-foil hatter but the level of criticism that De Gea has received is wildly disproportionate to the standards he has set at this club, especially when compared to the leeway given to keepers in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So, MOTD, the extent of the "criticism" of Joe Harts absolute howler today was, "its a big mistake, he will know that".

Normally not one to get bothered by these "analytical experts" comments but that has pissed me right off. Imagine if it was De Gea? It would have been jumped on and be all over the rags and they would have had a field day on MOTD. ****ing joke.

Criticism of De Gea doesnt bother me, the kind of biased bull**** that these ****ers get paid to peddle does at times. Hart will be the first to tell you it was a big mistake? Ah sure thats ok so! De Gea has never made an error like that, yet he should be sold as he is not reliable enough for a top club (ignoring of course that the rumoured clubs he would be going to are Madrid and Barca ffs)

****ing English media bug me, I shouldnt watch when I come home with a few in me

In other news, **** you City and thank you very much for playing a crab at centre back today, oh, and for Gareth Barry in general.

9 points clear, 1 game in hand. Settle for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ronaldo will destroy Rafael
    id say Man U will need Jones to try & close down some space for CR7
    i can see Real winning the 1st leg 3-0
    Alonso,Khedira,Ozil will control midfield i think too

Fancy a little wager on it?

whatever amount you like, how much can you really see Madrid winning the first leg 3-0?

I will bet you anything up to 500 quid on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

No they don't.

Don't know where you get this idea from.

Liam Brady spring to mind?

Yes they do, just Brady won't talk against people he worked with.

And wanna plus what Kryo said, I was ****ing delighted to see Barry score a OG yesterday/last night.

Also 3-0 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

The good news for the first Madrid game is that the formation is starting to settle. You simply cannot expect one player to contain Ronaldo, you need a speedy full back on him and someone covering his inside runs. I would say Rafael and Jones are best equipped to do this, although would worry that Rafael would pcik up a yellow early as he has a tendancy to dive in. I would start with DDG, Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Evra, Carrick, Cleverley, Valencia, Kagawa, Rooney and RVP (4, 2, 3, 1 formation). We need a hard working team and may have to abandon the width for the away game and try and condense the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

nagirrac wrote: »
    The good news for the first Madrid game is that the formation is starting to settle. You simply cannot expect one player to contain Ronaldo, you need a speedy full back on him and someone covering his inside runs. I would say Rafael and Jones are best equipped to do this, although would worry that Rafael would pcik up a yellow early as he has a tendancy to dive in. I would start with DDG, Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Evra, Carrick, Cleverley, Valencia, Kagawa, Rooney and RVP (4, 2, 3, 1 formation). We need a hard working team and may have to abandon the width for the away game and try and condense the middle.

Don't see Jones starting CB vs Madrid - he is prone to leaving space behind, which madrid would target with their counter attacking style and pace. Could see him starting in a midfield 3 and being tasked to try keel Ozil out of the game.

The CBs will be two from Vidic, Rio and Evans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What are everyones feelings on Frank Lampard now? It looks like Chelsea will eventually do the right thing and keep him but a summer move to United looks a lot more fruitfull with his recent performances. He is playing great again. I think we all thought he was passed his best but he is flying again. Id take him if Chelsea dont want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

GSPfan wrote: »
    What are everyones feelings on Frank Lampard now? It looks like Chelsea will eventually do the right thing and keep him but a summer move to United looks a lot more fruitfull with his recent performances. He is playing great again. I think we all thought he was passed his best but he is flying again. Id take him if Chelsea dont want him.

Looks like Giggs will be staying on for another year, but the same cannot be said for Scholes.
    As has been said before I'd have Lampard if and when Scholes retires - he's obviously still performing at a high level, and would he improve our team? Yes, I think he would.

Edit - Actually, just thinking a bit further on it, i reckon if he comes available and is up for the move, he would be definitely an improvement to our squad, so we should snap him up, even if it's just for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lampard is exactly what we don't need. No thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Leave Lampard to the Chelsea fans. Give Powell a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Closing stages of the 1999 Champions League Final on ESPN Classic [sky 425] at the minute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Don't see Jones starting CB vs Madrid - he is prone to leaving space behind, which madrid would target with their counter attacking style and pace. Could see him starting in a midfield 3 and being tasked to try keel Ozil out of the game.

Don't reckon Smalling will play? Or is he carrying a knock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

nagirrac wrote: »

This is exactly right. People focusing on Ronaldo vs Rafael are completely forgetting the way Ronaldo plays. He'll be all over the pitch looking for weakness, hence why the entire team needs to be 100% focused and prepared. Rafael and Evra might be worries in that they can get caught out up the pitch at times but I've no doubt there'll be plans in place for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

G.K. wrote: »
    Don't reckon Smalling will play? Or is he carrying a knock?
    I could see Fergie starting Smalling at RB to be honest. He might value his height and more defensive minded approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Assuming he is fit, I would be surprised and very worried if he doesnt start in midfield. Done a great job away to Spurs. Something similar needed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Assuming he is fit, I would be surprised and very worried if he doesnt start in midfield. Done a great job away to Spurs. Something similar needed here.

well lad

You want Jones to start?

Trilla wrote: »
    well lad

You want Jones to start?

Thanks....

I think it would be naive to assume we dont need to employ additional cover in midfield. Jones fits the bill imo.

Thanks....

I think it would be naive to assume we dont need to employ additional cover in midfield. Jones fits the bill imo.

Ughhhh its gonna be a long 90 minutes!

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Ughhhh its gonna be a long 90 minutes!

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Felexicon wrote: »
    I could see Fergie starting Smalling at RB to be honest. He might value his height and more defensive minded approach.

I reckon Rafael will start - his pace vs the Madrid wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd agree with that but only if Val was starting in front of him to help him out, but with his form that would just totally cripple our right side in terms if going forward.

What's your team prediction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Yeah more than likely he will. I just won't be surprised if Fergie goes with Smalling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

OctavarIan wrote: »
    This is exactly right. People focusing on Ronaldo vs Rafael are completely forgetting the way Ronaldo plays. He'll be all over the pitch looking for weakness, hence why the entire team needs to be 100% focused and prepared. Rafael and Evra might be worries in that they can get caught out up the pitch at times but I've no doubt there'll be plans in place for that.

This 100%.

There was a great article by Gary Neville on Ronaldo a while ago, where he described Ronaldo as an absolute bully on the pitch. Early on he tries to sniff out the weakness in the defence and then capitalise on it. If Rafael happens to get the better of the early exchanges between them, Ronaldo is very likely to roam over to the other wing to take on Evra. After that he takes on the centre-backs and keeps going until he makes the break through. As you say, the whole defence will be prepared for him.

Edit: Found it, here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2234511/Gary-Neville-Brave-ruthless-relentless-Ronaldo-redefined-football.html#axzz2KVFM1Lop

Indeed.

Sure this is it. Big chap like ya Jonesy! I can't help but be worried about Wednesday. But with an inform Rooney and that glorious man that is Robin Van Persie I think we'll just edge it over the two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I think these 2 legs are set up for Valencia to pull out those huge performance's like has been expected of him this season but so far has failed to deliver. I also think the defensive cover he provides will be paramount to a United result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

markc1184 wrote: »
    I think these 2 legs are set up for Valencia to pull out those huge performance's like has been expected of him this season but so far has failed to deliver. I also think the defensive cover he provides will be paramount to a United result.

If this was the Valencia of last season then I'd be thinking exactly like you. Unfortunately it isn't. I honestly feel he'll be as ineffective as usual if he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i would say for madrid the following could be a very likely formation

De Gea

rafael vidic rio evra

valencia carrick jones cleverley rooney

van persie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

magnumbud wrote: »
    i would say for madrid the following could be a very likely formation

De Gea

rafael vidic rio evra

valencia carrick jones cleverley rooney

van persie

Thats not a bad line up but i would much rather have Kagawa instead of Valencia. We cant start with Valencia given his muck performances for the most part this season.I think Kag could be hugely important linking up our counter attacks if he plays.

If their is one team that should be able to come up with a way of stopping ronaldo it should be us.

Think Val is a cert to start vs Real myself given the defensive work he'll offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

shrewdness wrote: »
    Think Val is a cert to start vs Real myself given the defensive work he'll offer.

Your probably right, fergie usually goes pretty defensive in knockout games like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I don't think he's a cert at all. Young starting over him wouldn't surprise me at all.

I don't think he's a cert at all. Young starting over him wouldn't surprise me at all.

Just my opinion.

They'll say yes because that's what they want the viewers to believe. Because when a pundit says something like "Utd are the biggest club in the world" it will make the viewers think they are unbiased and that Utd are the biggest club in the world.

Just because these companies might be happy to have biased pundits in private (at certain times), it does not mean that it's right and should not be criticised when it happens.
    For pundits to be unbiased they have to have no connection to any clubs or country in connection usually.

No, they just need to man up and say things how they really are. Don't take the job if you're not capable of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Paddy Power are PAYING OUT on Manchester United to win the Premier League!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

*NEWSFLASH* Paddy Power are PAYING OUT Manchester United to win the Premier League! http://t.co/i6jqXLxc #EarlyPayout http://t.co/25a04GFt
    https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/300608588395712513
    Fcuk off Paddy :(

Raf32 wrote: »
    Paddy Power are PAYING OUT on Manchester United to win the Premier League!

Wow, thats incredible, I know who I will bet with in future.

Paying out early on a 1/12 shot is hardly that incredible!

What was incredible was when they paid out early on Arsenal in 02/03 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

That's the point though, the publicity they will get from this, at relitively low risk is too hard to turn down, where as the €5/10 punter thinks PP are running some massive gesture to their grateful customers.

They've done it before and no doubt they'll do it again.

Hate to see it personally, can't stand tempting fate.

• Advertisement

Sure did they not pay out last year when Utd were 8 points up?

Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen!

The Sun (I know) are reporting Evra has been having an affair with a playboy model. That's all we need now at this stage of the season. It's a strange enough report, the girl claims Evra invited her to the United Christmas party. Hope this will have no effect on his performance.

Could we see Val starting RB Wednesday?

Could we see Val starting RB Wednesday?

No chance imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Smalling at rb & Rafael at rw combination on Wednesday .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The Sun (I know) are reporting Evra has been having an affair with a playboy model. That's all we need now at this stage of the season. It's a strange enough report, the girl claims Evra invited her to the United Christmas party. Hope this will have no effect on his performance.

The Sun did that with Evra before, he was 'spotted' on camera checking a Blonde into a premier inn during the late hours of a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Paying out early on a 1/12 shot is hardly that incredible!

What was incredible was when they paid out early on Arsenal in 02/03 :D

Didn't they pay out on United last year too? Probably around the time they had the 8 point lead.

These interviews with the 4 lads are brilliant.

And christ do I miss em all, especially Ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Legend.

Liam O wrote: »

Legend.

A legend who's wife is going to cut his chahones off!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement