Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭KH25

Am I the only one frustrated with Carrick being played in defence ahead of actual defenders such as Wooton? I just cant understand putting the lad on the bench when he could be given a run out and allow Carrick to play in CM or even in front of the defence if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

KH25 wrote: »
    Am I the only one frustrated with Carrick being played in defence ahead of actual defenders such as Wooton? I just cant understand putting the lad on the bench when he could be given a run out and allow Carrick to play in CM or even in front of the defence if necessary.

No drives me bananas as well. How bad can Wooten be to not be played considering the injuries ahead of him? WTF are United paying him for if he's so bad that Carrick - who is basically a two goal handicap playing at CB - has been picked ahead of him consistently?

I'd be losing the rag if I was in his shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wootton wasn't even on the bench so I'm guessing he picked up an injury. That also explains why Rio was on the bench.

keane2097 wrote: »
    No drives me bananas as well. How bad can Wooten be to not be played considering the injuries ahead of him? WTF are United paying him for if he's so bad that Carrick - who is basically a two goal handicap playing at CB - has been picked ahead of him consistently?

I'd be losing the rag if I was in his shoes.

Thats exactly what Im thinking. Im not gonna get into Carrick bashing here but he was absolutely dreadful for the second goal last night. He is quite obviously not a defender. The Braga game was a great opportunity for Wooton to get a game as it wasn't the end of the world if we lost or drew. We would still have been in a great position to win the group. I can only hope now that he gets a game in the last 2 games of the group.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Wootton wasn't even on the bench so I'm guessing he picked up an injury. That also explains why Rio was on the bench.

Has happened a couple of times earlier in the season as well iirc. In any case the team originally picked had him on the bench behind Carrick as far as I know?

I didn't hear anything about an injury. If thats true then fine, he couldn't have played anyway :p But I wouldn't have been too hopeful of him starting ahead of Carrick anyway.

Thats exactly what Im thinking. Im not gonna get into Carrick bashing here but he was absolutely dreadful for the second goal last night. He is quite obviously not a defender. The Braga game was a great opportunity for Wooton to get a game as it wasn't the end of the world if we lost or drew. We would still have been in a great position to win the group. I can only hope now that he gets a game in the last 2 games of the group.

It's not Carrick bashing in the slightest, he's not supposed to be a good centre half and he's certainly not picking himself to play there.

It's not Carrick bashing in the slightest, he's not supposed to be a good centre half and he's certainly not picking himself to play there.

Exactly. I wasn't saying you were bashing him just to be clear. I was just pointing out that the fact it was Carrick playing was irrelevant. It was a midfielder being asked to play out of position.

Has happened a couple of times earlier in the season as well iirc. In any case the team originally picked had him on the bench behind Carrick as far as I know?

The U21's have two games this week so maybe they wanted to keep him back for that if he isn't injured? We'll probably get a fair idea this evening when they play Stockport.

It is annoying playing a midfielder as a defender alright.

The U21's have two games this week so maybe they wanted to keep him back for that if he isn't injured? We'll probably get a fair idea this evening when they play Stockport.

It is annoying playing a midfielder as a defender alright.

Ah fuck the u21s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Carrick, Ando and Clev in the midfield against Chelsea we have a chance.

Scholes and Carrick as the middle two, we will find it tough.

I'm holding hope in that Chelsea don't look that secure in defence at all, and we have an attacking line starting to click.

Although the same can be flipped over for Chelsea : /

This game is going to be mad

Also we are 2/1 to win this weekend, da fuq?

80/1 for Utd to win 3-2 with RVP to score first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Chelsea having travelled to and played in Ukraine this week definitely increases our chances of a result btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Blatter wrote: »
    Chelsea having travelled to and played in Ukraine this week definitely increases our chances of a result btw.

You posting the above definitely increases our chances of a defeat btw.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

TheDoc wrote: »
    Carrick, Ando and Clev in the midfield against Chelsea we have a chance.

Scholes and Carrick as the middle two, we will find it tough.

I'm holding hope in that Chelsea don't look that secure in defence at all, and we have an attacking line starting to click.

Although the same can be flipped over for Chelsea : /

This game is going to be mad
    Might throw a few quid on more than 5 goals in this one.

Evans and Chico became their respective countries top scorers in the Champions league.

Evans is the first Northern Irishman to score in the CL.

Gratz to both :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

TheDoc wrote: »

well so far, looks like Fergie is keeping his word about scoring more goals this year

29 goals in 12 games i think, is that correct? wonder how many goals we had at this stage over the last few seasons? i think it was high last year, due to the 8-2 v Arsenal and the 5-0 v Bolton, 3-0 v spurs and 3-1 v chelsea.

Yep, considerably so.

indeed. at first before the draw came out for the group stages, it looked like we were going to get the fixture list from hell, but considering we had already been dealt the hand of 5 away games after group games, its worked out as good as it could.

being at home, with them in Ukraine, could be a telling feature for us, with them losing being an extra bonus. Chelseas first 11 is pretty good, but i dont think their back up players are as good as ours and we were able to rest several key players last night such as Valencia, Rio, Evra and Scholes.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Might throw a few quid on more than 5 goals in this one.

My Stereotypical memory of Utd V Chelsea is tentitive low scoring affairs.

Im hoping its all out the window this weekend.

And I also hope Hazard goes home regretting his move!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's pretty annoying that a United win still won't put them top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

It's pretty annoying that a United win still won't put them top.
    Well maybe if it was the end of April, but not at this stage of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

That statement just opens the door for a Torres hat trick

Wootton starting for the U21's tonight anyway so it's not an injury.

The squad for the game against Stockport

Jonathan Sutherland, Marnick Vermijl, Scott Wootton, Tyler Blackett, Reece James; Bebe, Nick Powell, Charni Ekangamene, Adnan Januzaj; Federico Macheda, Angelo Henriquez.

Subs: Luke Hendrie, Kieran O'Hara, Luke McCullough, Tom Lawrence, Frederic Veseli

Veseli is a strange one. He's gonna be the Ritchie De Laet of the club isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

De Laet was twice the player Veseli is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

@manutdreserves
    Bebe scores after 52 mins. A softish shot from 20 yards and the keeper mistimed his dive and in it went. 2-0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

@manutdreserves
    Bebe scores after 52 mins. A softish shot from 20 yards and the keeper mistimed his dive and in it went. 2-0

Bebe's goals are worth two!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A rumour that United new deal is going to be worth £1 Billion with Nike.
    Presumably it will be a long term deal.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-paper-round-united-line-1-billion-075918245.html

If true it's massive, it would pay off the debt and the glazers could keep the change :p

What it would mean then is that a lot of cash would be kept from the clutches of interest payments (and the capital payments tooo)

Cant remember the figures off the top of my head, but lets say United are paying £50 Million in interest per year, even having the Glazers take half of that as a divident per year would leave United £25 million + Capital payments up per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

All this talk of the line ups vs. Chelsea including Anderson or Carrick it Scholes. Lads, are we forgetting Giggs? Almost certain to start both the game and a chain reaction of mass suicides

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Will it? They played on Tuesday and the next match is on Sunday. That's almost 4 and half days between those 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

All this talk of the line ups vs. Chelsea including Anderson or Carrick it Scholes. Lads, are we forgetting Giggs? Almost certain to start both the game and a chain reaction of mass suicides

Spurs was Giggs' last chance. He was dire against Liverpool as well but SAF likes to give players second chances. Giggs took that second chance and bent it over his knee. I think Spurs was a big wake up call for SAF. I'm on the fence as to whether Scholes will start, he was just as bad in that game and not much better against Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Will it? They played on Tuesday and the next match is on Sunday. That's almost 4 and half days between those 2 games.

Yeah, I don't think 4 and a half days is enough time to recover 100% from two long flights and a really tough game.

Last season we had travelled to Romania to play Galati on the Tuesday, whereas City had Villareal at home on the same night. They beat us 6-1 on the Sunday.

Now I'm not blaming the defeat entirely on that, but these things are definitely factors imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Yeah, I don't think 4 and a half days is enough time to recover 100% from two long flights and a really tough game.

Last season we had travelled to Romania to play Galati on the Tuesday, whereas City had Villareal at home on the same night. They beat us 6-1 on the Sunday.

Now I'm not blaming the defeat entirely on that, but these things are definitely factors imo.

I dont know how tiring it is as I don't know much about European countries and the flights. **** it, I know **** all about Geography, I always open European map when the CL groups stages are announced just to see how many countries are there between England and the team we will be playing :D

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I dont know how tiring it is as I don't know much about European countries and the flights. **** it, I know **** all about Geography, I always open European map when the CL groups stages are announces just to see how many countries are there between England and the team we will be playing :D

I think it's more than just the travelling. You're travelling to a different country, staying in a place you most likely have never been to before, seeing things you've never seen before, subjected to a different culture you're not used to. I just think it drains people mentally to an extent.

Maybe I'm thinking into it too much and it is 99% the travelling that causes players to be not at their best. All I know is that it statistically adversely affects performances and/or results in the next game.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Well maybe if it was the end of April, but not at this stage of the season

Ah I know I'm being over eager, but I hate seeing United's name anywhere but the top of the table. ;)

After the torture of last season I would love nothing more than to build up a gap of a few points before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Was there any formal contact made regarding Christian Eriksen over the summer?
    Very impressive tonight vs. City.
    We still need more midfielders and Eriksen with his age looks extremely promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think it's more than just the travelling. You're travelling to a different country, staying in a place you most likely have never been to before, seeing things you've never seen before, subjected to a different culture you're not used to. I just think it drains people mentally to an extent.

Maybe I'm thinking into it too much and it is 99% the travelling that causes players to be not at their best. All I know is that it statistically adversely affects performances and/or results in the next game.

What?

For tourists, this is true. For footballers they get on a plane, coach to the hotel, syaty int he hotel, do training, play the match, come home.

they may as well be in Timbuktu or Oslo, the hotel will be detailed to be as "normal" for them as possible - same pre match foods, same routines for every away match, same trainign ground set up.

Yes, it might be a bit colder/warmer than at home, but they generally won't see much of the "culture~2 apart from the mad fans in the stsdium.

sure, flights can take a physical toll, but it's not as if they are stuck in economy chewing their knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Good to see Chicarito playing well, particularly this passage of play.

hernandezdeterminded.gif

Kilkenny14 wrote: »

hernandezdeterminded.gif

That ball to Nani was brilliant.

Des wrote: »

sure, flights can take a physical toll, but it's not as if they are stuck in economy chewing their knees.

i think Des, its the fact that their weekly routine is totally changed when they are away from home. a normal week without travelling could see them work on the tactics, team and set up for a perspective big game on a Saturday.

travelling does take its toll also, they normally fly back after games, meaning they dont get to bed until 3am or so! this then will knock off their routines the following day, their training schedule etc etc and sometimes, their preparation for weekend games can suffer.

small things, but small things can matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

hernandezdeterminded.gif

I hope he gets some action on Sunday,could do with him getting in around the Chelsea defence and unsettle them,they are far from solid themselves at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

i think Des, its the fact that their weekly routine is totally changed when they are away from home. a normal week without travelling could see them work on the tactics, team and set up for a perspective big game on a Saturday.

I'm sure a team like Man Utd and a manager like Ferguson don't just start thinking about the Chelsea game this weekend only after the Braga match, I'd be surprised oif Ferguson doesn't have the next six to 8 weeks mapped out, with conditioning, tactics, training routines - all taking into account the travel away for the CL. It's not as if the away games are a surprise.

There is no "weekly routine" - it would be beyond stupid to implement a "weekly routine" when it is next to impossible to keep to one.

Des wrote: »
    What?

For tourists, this is true. For footballers they get on a plane, coach to the hotel, syaty int he hotel, do training, play the match, come home.

they may as well be in Timbuktu or Oslo, the hotel will be detailed to be as "normal" for them as possible - same pre match foods, same routines for every away match, same trainign ground set up.

Yes, it might be a bit colder/warmer than at home, but they generally won't see much of the "culture~2 apart from the mad fans in the stsdium.

I'm not familiar as to what exactly the players do once they travel. Are they kept in their hotel, given food, brought to training and then put to bed or are they given any sort of significant time to roam in between? I thought they might be given a few hours to do what they want, within reason.

Why do you think midweek away games in Europe affect team's performances/results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

hernandezdeterminded.gif

Jonny Evans made a great run during that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just to leave this thought in here...

i assume Giggs will be playing on Sunday, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

SlickRic wrote: »

This could still be posted in 2016

I'm not familiar as to what exactly the players do once they travel. Are they kept in their hotel, given food, brought to training and then put to bed or are they given any sort of significant time to roam in between? I thought they might be given a few hours to do what they want, within reason.

Why do you think midweek away games in Europe affect team's performances/results?

I would think being in a different country itself has a pretty negligible impact (culture, food etc), it's the toll on the body of travelling, disruption of sleeping patterns and disruption to training that are the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I would think being in a different country itself has a pretty negligible impact (culture, food etc), it's the toll on the body of travelling, disruption of sleeping patterns and disruption to training that are the issues.

Lots of clubs stay on their own timeline while away to avoid them issues and I'd be assuming they'd be bringing their own food with them don't want anyone getting something bogey over there and have the shîts before a game .

I do consider those to be the main factors alright, the being in a different country itself was just a thought, could have a tiny affect and the smallest things at top level football can make a difference. As I said though, probably overthinking it!

SlickRic wrote: »

I'm going to say he won't.

Players almost guaranteed to play: de Gea, Evra, Ferdinand, Evans, Rafael, Carrick, Valencia, Rooney, van Persie.

That leaves two gaps, one in CM and the other on the left wing, or else two in midfield plus Carrick, and Rooney, van Persie and Valencia to be the front three.

It's hard to predict what Fergie is going to do, but Nani, Kagawa (if fit), Welbeck, Cleverley, Anderson and Scholes all have to be ahead of Giggs in the pecking order for those two positions, particularly for this game.

• Advertisement

hernandezdeterminded.gif

We can get rid of Young now. There's a new left winger in town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement