Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

i think it is a tough one, to be honest.

His runs are very good, imo. Yes, he is caught offside a lot. However, it is the type of player he is. He makes his run so that he is going past the defender as the ball is played. Unfortunately for him a lot of the time the player on the ball is taking an extra touch or split second to look for the pass, rather than playing it.

Sometimes, of course, it is just a poorly timed run, but a lot of the time it is that the pass simply wasn't played when it needed to be. It isn't like he is just sitting in an offside position.

You just can't ignore the fact that his game is based so much on positioning imo. So I think he'll have spells of being caught offside too much and spells where he looks like a genius. He'll get a lot of incorrect calls against him and he'll score some important goals from an offside position. I think he is always going to be causing all sorts of debates about offsides, whether it's people criticising or defending him.

Just listening to the Guardian football podcast there and heard this - United haven't been involved in a goalless game for 73 matches. Fun times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Lawro predicted we will win 1-0 on Sunday!!!!

thats us ****ed so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What's the odds for a dubious offside goal for Chelsea on Sunday,they always seem to get the benefit of some kind of dodgy decision when they play us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

zerks wrote: »
    What's the odds for a dubious offside goal for Chelsea on Sunday,they always seem to get the benefit of some kind of dodgy decision when they play us.
    We got some dodgy ones last year against them, didn't we? Smalling header etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We got some dodgy ones last year against them, didn't we? Smalling header etc.

Doesn't make up for 'that' Drogba goal.Still get annoyed every time I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Agreed, there have been some shocking decisions against us at Stamford bridge in the past. Whats funny is that if United consistantly got these kind of decisions against one specific team every year (as much as chelsea) there would be all sorts of conspiracys and rants.

Anyways, Im confident about Sunday, cant really say why as Chelsea have been in better form this season. I quite fancy a "shootout" with them (if it turns out like that. Players like Hazzard/Oscar have undoubted class, but it will be interesting to see how they respond to a top 2 pressurecooker game. They might excel but they could very well find it a bit tough, particularly if the likes of Fletcher and Scholes arent making it easy for them with a bit of physicality.

I would love a 4-3-3 - Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes midfield and Rooney just behind Van Persie & Hernandez (all three who would enjoy playing against a weak , slow chelsea defence) but I believe ferguson might want a tighter midfield to protect a dodgy/unconvincing defence. My main problem with this thinking is that it was what he tried against City away last season and not only does it give the initiative to attacking teams like Chelsea, I think it sort of shows a lack of confidence in our own team (with good reason to be fair) that can show up in the performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Doesn't make up for 'that' Drogba goal.Still get annoyed every time I see it.

Not only was that a dodgy goal but the free given was never a free . . If I recall Valencia was pulled down by Terry for an obvious peno that the ref didnt give aswell (as blatantly obvious a peno as you will ever see) . . The kind of peno that if not given against United at OT you would hear the anti United pundits say "you never get them at OT" . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I will be truly surprised if we keep clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I will be truly surprised if we keep clean sheet.

There is a better chance of an 8 goal thriller than either team keeping a clean sheet IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I think we play 5 in midfield with Welbeck and Valencia as the 'wide men' with Rooney at the top with Cleverley and Carrick behind and RVP up front.

Playing Scholes in this match would be crazy. I think we will be very conservative and Rooney will nearly play as a third CM. I think it's a good formation and team selection because if we fall behind we can switch to a 4-4-2 or a similar variation as we have 2 versatile forwards on the pitch. Also Rooney, Carrick and Cleverley could make up the midfield in a 4-3-3 either.

Finally I'd love to see Anderson play but Fergie just doesn't seem to like him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

daily mail saying we are looking to sign Ashley Cole on a free transfer in the summer. We were linked with him quite a bit in the summer just gone. It really wouldn't surprise me, though he is on the old side - would be 32 next season I think. Not a fan of him based on his public persona, but he is a very good player. Was superb for Chelsea last season - his performance in Barcelona was simply outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

daily mail saying we are looking to sign Ashley Cole on a free transfer in the summer. We were linked with him quite a bit in the summer just gone. It really wouldn't surprise me, though he is on the old side - would be 32 next season I think. Not a fan of him based on his public persona, but he is a very good player. Was superb for Chelsea last season - his performance in Barcelona was simply outstanding.

His age would be the problem, but considering he is free agent then nothing to lose once he does not demand few extra hookers in his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Don't see why he'd leave a young Chelsea side who he knows can't replace him easily. Chelsea probably aren't willing to give him a long term deal which may be key to getting a deal done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A lot of rumours that Scholes is in the starting 11 on Sunday..

I can already predict him being taken off at half time, Hazard will have a rough first half anyway

Don't see why he'd leave a young Chelsea side who he knows can't replace him easily. Chelsea probably aren't willing to give him a long term deal which may be key to getting a deal done.

that appears to be the case - reports that chelsea are doing that new tactic of only offering one year extensions to players over 30.

If he does leave, there'll be no shortage of takers - us (seemingly), City, Paris SG, maybe Madrid (if Jose is still there). Sure there would be a lot of other teams after him too.

Even if we did want him, its certainly not something that would happen easily - maybe being best mates with Rooney could swing it, but it would still be a surprising deal to pull off, for a few reasons.

• Advertisement

They apparently only offered him a 1 year deal where he wanted a 2 year deal.
    If he moves he will get a nice fee up front and probably 100k a week wages.
    I personally don't like him at all because of the off the pitch stuff and I do realise he is a fantastic LB but I don't want him at the club.

Saying that if he did sign I would have his name on a jersey and rave on about him to all my Chelsea supporting mates!!!

A lot of rumours that Scholes is in the starting 11 on Sunday..

I can already predict him being taken off at half time, Hazard will have a rough first half anyway
    i really hope not - we need pace and tempo in midfield. Scholes will be over ran by the chelsea team if he plays. Same reason Giggs shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

i really hope not - we need pace and tempo in midfield. Scholes will be over ran by the chelsea team if he plays. Same reason Giggs shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Yes exactly, and I don't see the benefit of having him in the team against Chelsea, their midfield won't give him the time to dictate the game with his passing

A 4-3-3 is what we need. Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson in midfield. Rooney on the left, Valencia on the right, and RVP up front. It's a safe formation, but attacking at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It depends on what Scholes turns up and how Ramires/Mikel play.

Scholes starting doesn't automatically mean we'll struggle in midfield. If it's the Scholes we saw against Stoke, then yeah we'll struggle. If it's the Scholes we saw in the second half against Spurs, I'll be more than happy that he started.

It is a gamble though. You can't rely on a 37 year old to turn in consistent performances. I'd prefer to see him come off the bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Yes exactly, and I don't see the benefit of having him in the team against Chelsea, their midfield won't give him the time to dictate the game with his passing

A 4-3-3 is what we need. Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson in midfield. Rooney on the left, Valencia on the right, and RVP up front. It's a safe formation, but attacking at the same time

Fifa formation if there ever was one :pac:

Playing Rooney on the left is absolutely pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Can someone fill us in on Ashley Cole's off field antic's plz... I'm totally bemused by a few of the above statements.

Like we got the sinless bunch of footie players.. Giggs, Rooney???

Prick! wrote: »

Fifa formation if there ever was one :pac:

Playing Rooney on the left is absolutely pointless.

How is it absolutely pointless?
    Rooney has been used many times out on the left over the past 3 years, to good effect
    I'd rather Rooney on the left in the formation I said over Welbeck
    Because playing Welbeck left of the three is absolutely pointless

Rooney has been used many times out in the left over the past 3 years, to good effect

Never said it wasn't.

Rooney isn't that good on the left tbh.

Rooney has been used many times out on the left over the past 3 years, to good effect

Playing a striker on the left is pointless.

user2011 wrote: »

So Alex Ferguson playing Welbeck and Rooney out on the left over the past 2-3 years has been pointless.. Have you submitted your application to take the reigns when oul clueless Fergie retires? Because if he is making pointless decisions it must be time to go..

No it is not, it all depends on the formation you play and the type of striker you have out there.
    Rooney played a season of European football on the left iirc. I think it was Tevez second season with United at the time. Henry and Villa are two other strikers who play or played that role well.
    It would be pointless havin a poacher out on the left but not Rooney. People even said Rooney should not play in a 3 man midfield. Look how that panned out.

killwill wrote: »
    No it is not, it all depends on the formation you play and the type of striker you have out there.
    Rooney played a season of European football on the left iirc. I think it was Tevez second season with United at the time. Henry and Villa are two other strikers who play or played that role well.
    It would be pointless havin a poacher out on the left but not Rooney. People even said Rooney should not play in a 3 man midfield. Look how that panned out.

LOL. Comparing Rooney to Villa and Henry now.

Villa and Henry play their best stuff from that position. That's why they play there.

And Welbeck played as a striker last season, before that he was played on the left in 2nd rate matches. And this season he's been muck on the left

Just to add to this Rooney and Welbeck have played more games between them out on the left than our designated left wing Ashley Young

How could I be so blind to Fergie being so wrong over the years!

So Alex Ferguson playing Welbeck and Rooney out on the left over the past 2-3 years has been pointless.. Have you submitted your application to take the reigns when oul clueless Fergie retires? Because if he is making pointless decisions it must be time to go..

Lovely. SAF never makes a mistake!

If he is going too employ a striker out on the left it should be against the weaker teams because you can get away with it too some extent. ie Stoke.. Can i say i really enjoyed the link up play between Rooney, Welbeck and RVP in that game but playing that game against the big boys in the league i think we will be found out.

When you have Nani that can play that role he should be used no matter what his contract situation is. (cutting nose off dispite your face) which SAF has said he has done before. This not the time too be doing it when Chelsea have 4 points on us (could be 7 by Sat night) i feel if he goes down this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Our attacking balance looks much better with Welbeck in the team no matter where he's played, up front or out left. His movement and interlinking with players is outstanding. Hernandez has had the better individual performance of the two but Welbeck is player that benefits the team more in terms of how we stretch defences and build our forward play.

• Advertisement

Apologises i should of added a bit too the bland statement... See my reply below.

Have you submitted your application to take the reigns when oul clueless Fergie retires? Because if he is making pointless decisions it must be time to go..

Using this argument means you suck at discussing football.

Lovely. SAF never makes a mistake!

If he is going too employ a striker out on the left it should be against the weaker teams because you can get away with it too some extent. ie Stoke.. Can i say i really enjoyed the link up play between Rooney, Welbeck and RVP in that game but playing that game against the big boys in the league i think we will be found out.

When you have Nani that can play that role he should be used no matter what his contract situation is. (cutting nose off dispite your face) which SAF has said he has done before. This not the time too be doing it when Chelsea have 4 points on us (could be 7 by Sat night) i feel if he goes down this road.

I take your points on board, but this started from me suggesting we play a 4-4-3 formation against Chelsea

If Fergie does go with 4-3-3 and I had to pick between Rooney, Welbeck and Nani to fill the position on the left. I'd pick Rooney without any hesitation

Have you seen the absolutely horrific performances by Nani this season? And you want him to be started against the league leaders on their home ground? It doesn't make sense tbh

Have you seen the absolutely horrific performances by Nani this season?

Nani hasn't put in any absolutely horrific performances this season.

Our attacking balance looks much better with Welbeck in the team no matter where he's played, up front or out left. His movement and interlinking with players is outstanding. Hernandez has had the better individual performance of the two but Welbeck is player that benefits the team more in terms of how we stretch defences and build our forward play.

Southampton
    Just to add to this Rooney and Welbeck have played more games between them out on the left than our designated left wing Ashley Young

How could I be so blind to Fergie being so wrong over the years!

I wonder why, would it have anything to do with Young being injured?

....I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I take your points on board, but this started from me suggesting we play a 4-4-3 formation against Chelsea

If Fergie does go with 4-3-3 and I had to pick between Rooney, Welbeck and Nani to fill the position on the left. I'd pick Rooney without any hesitation

Have you seen the absolutely horrific performances by Nani this season? And you want him to be started against the league leaders on their home ground? It doesn't make sense tbh

I'd agree that Nani's in poor form, but he's capable of carving up a defence even in the pits of it. Against Braga, that little poked pass that set up van Persie for a chance is a good example. He wasn't great in the game but nobody else on the pitch saw it. It was only himself and Kagawa that looked capable of that on the night. It's worth carrying him for that danger imo, especially against a tight defence where you'll likely need something really good, something imaginative. I'd prefer him to start on the right anyway, he's better there and Valencia's only been in ok form himself. Valencia might have success again up against Cole though. It's a poser.

Southampton

Stoke. Wow, that was easy.

By all means have Rooney go onto the left when the ball is lost, but when Utd have the ball he should be central.

By all means have Rooney go onto the left when the ball is lost, but when Utd have the ball he should be central.

Formations don't work that way. If a player is defending on the wing then he is going to be on the wing when the team are in possession.

Pro. F wrote: »

Nani hasn't put in any absolutely horrific performances this season.

Okay.

That's your opinion. I have a different one.

• Advertisement

I understand what formation a striker playing out wide employs Rayne Wooney.

Rooney is a CF/ST nothing else so why would it be sacrificed i don't get. Other then having the "second" best player in the world in your team. That would be my only reason too play him out wide.

RVP has been amazing since he came in but having Rooney out wide i think will do more damage then good on Sunday.

We are weak in midfield well known Rooney playing the CF/CAM will help with this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Formations don't work that way. If a player is defending on the wing then he is going to be on the wing when the team are in possession.

Disagree there, it doesn't have to mean that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

6 of the next 7 matches are away, yikes!

Oct 28 12:00 ET Chelsea v Manchester United Stamford Bridge Premier League
    Oct 31 3:45 ET Chelsea v Manchester United Stamford Bridge Capital One Cup
    Nov 3 8:45 ET Manchester United v Arsenal Old Trafford Premier League
    Nov 7 2:45 ET Braga v Manchester United Braga Municipal Champions League
    Nov 10 12:30 ET Aston Villa v Manchester United Villa Park Premier League
    Nov 17 12:30 ET Norwich City v Manchester United Carrow Road Premier League
    Nov 20 2:45 ET Galatasaray v Manchester United Türk Telekom Arena Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

FatherTed wrote: »
    6 of the next 7 matches are away, yikes!

Oct 28 12:00 ET Chelsea v Manchester United Stamford Bridge Premier League
    Oct 31 3:45 ET Chelsea v Manchester United Stamford Bridge Capital One Cup
    Nov 3 8:45 ET Manchester United v Arsenal Old Trafford Premier League
    Nov 7 2:45 ET Braga v Manchester United Braga Municipal Champions League
    Nov 10 12:30 ET Aston Villa v Manchester United Villa Park Premier League
    Nov 17 12:30 ET Norwich City v Manchester United Carrow Road Premier League
    Nov 20 2:45 ET Galatasaray v Manchester United Türk Telekom Arena Champions League

Take into account those games include the league Cup, Villa, and one point needed from 2 CL makes that all a little better to read!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

yOt70l.jpg

Fergie bored at the Arsenal game. Probably playing Angry Birds or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Liam Brady looks uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Liam Brady looks uncomfortable.

Smell that Fergie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

J. Marston wrote: »
    yOt70l.jpg

Fergie bored at the Arsenal game. Probably playing Angry Birds or something.

I'd be bored too! Absolute borefest of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

double GG wrote: »
    I'd be bored too! Absolute borefest of a game.

Have them in last man standing :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Fairly strong rumours that Nani wants out. SAF apparently has not kep his word on some things. Told Nani that unless he renews his contract he will play fewer minutes this season.

Expect it to hit the papers tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Berbatov!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement