Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope size ?

Options
  • 19-10-2012 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I bought a .22lr Cz 455 recently, just wondering if a 3-9x50 Hawke is too big or would a 3-9x40 or 44 be sufficient. I will be shooting rabbits and grounded pigeons and some target shooting.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

021CRETE01 wrote: »
    I bought a .22lr Cz 455 recently, just wondering if a 3-9x50 Hawke is too big or would a 3-9x40 or 44 be sufficient. I will be shooting rabbits and grounded pigeons and some target shooting.:confused:

Whatever your happy with is the only answer. I use a 6-24x42 on my CZ. For what your doing the 40 or 44 should be perfectly sufficient. But if you want something bigger, then rock on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Shot my own 22 Brno with a 3 x 9 40mm scope for 26 years and used it to great success in the field. Light to carry and IMO perfect for the effective range of LV ammo when using mods (zero for 55 yards).

Having said that I got a cheep 8ish to 30ish x 50mm scope with target turrets and fitted it to another .22 I own. I wanted to have a go of 'playing' with balistics, range, windage etc. Have to say its the dogs Boll#xs even if its cheep, I shoot clays and metal plates out to 150 yards with bulk HV ammo, great crack. I have brought it out rabbiting with success but its a lump to carry around (18 + oz).

As said by others around 40 mm is ideal after that its down to personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

On my 22 I had a 3-9x40 and change it for a 6-24x50 the only two things I found was weight and mag that's it and I always leave the mag on 9-10 power so it's up to you and personal choice. I like the look of the bigger scope myself.
    But you will need the high mounts and this might not suit your shooting position or if might work fine either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

bravestar wrote: »
    Whatever your happy with is the only answer.
    I'd agree with this.

I've a 6-24 on my .22, but rarely go above 10-12 power. However for target shooting i have the extra mag. The weight is barely ounces so no extra there, and i prefer to have the extra mag if i need it rather than be in a position where i do need it, and not have it.

The larger objective lens will demand a higher scope position, but again you are talking millimetres so shouldn't cause too many issues if at all.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Rememeber the bigger the objective the brighter the view will be.

I found that the Bushnell fixed 10x40mm elite 3200 was the best out of all the scopes I had on my .22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

021CRETE01,
    At what maximum distance do you expect to shoot?

In general, big targets need small magnification and little targets need big magnification.

If the scope will spend its life on a 22lr, I doubt you'll be doing much shooting out past 150ya. Thus, a 3-9x40mm should be enough.

If you got a good deal on a 6.5-20x50mm, I would not hesitate to buy one. It might also be a good idea to invest in a bigger and better scope right now, if you ever want to shoot a faster round, like a 223, out to greater distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

Personly i prefere a bigger objective..its alot brighter and 30mm tube helps also..
    Iv a 3-9x50 on my .22 and i love it..very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Your bang on with the sizes either would work, but I'd try go for a better brand of scope. I've never been happy with how my Hawke scope on my 22lr holds zero. It's a 3-10x44, magnification and clarity are ok, but it just doesn't hold a zero for very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭021CRETE01

bravestar wrote: »
    Whatever your happy with is the only answer. I use a 6-24x42 on my CZ. For what your doing the 40 or 44 should be perfectly sufficient. But if you want something bigger, then rock on!

Thanks for your help Bravestar

Shot my own 22 Brno with a 3 x 9 40mm scope for 26 years and used it to great success in the field. Light to carry and IMO perfect for the effective range of LV ammo when using mods (zero for 55 yards).

Having said that I got a cheep 8ish to 30ish x 50mm scope with target turrets and fitted it to another .22 I own. I wanted to have a go of 'playing' with balistics, range, windage etc. Have to say its the dogs Boll#xs even if its cheep, I shoot clays and metal plates out to 150 yards with bulk HV ammo, great crack. I have brought it out rabbiting with success but its a lump to carry around (18 + oz).

As said by others around 40 mm is ideal after that its down to personal choice.

Thanks for your help Cooki m

• Advertisement

On my 22 I had a 3-9x40 and change it for a 6-24x50 the only two things I found was weight and mag that's it and I always leave the mag on 9-10 power so it's up to you and personal choice. I like the look of the bigger scope myself.
    But you will need the high mounts and this might not suit your shooting position or if might work fine either.

Very helpful , thank you One shot

Ezridax wrote: »
    I'd agree with this.

I've a 6-24 on my .22, but rarely go above 10-12 power. However for target shooting i have the extra mag. The weight is barely ounces so no extra there, and i prefer to have the extra mag if i need it rather than be in a position where i do need it, and not have it.

The larger objective lens will demand a higher scope position, but again you are talking millimetres so shouldn't cause too many issues if at all.

Do'nt understand difference between magnif'n 6-24 and 3-9 (all new to me) but I guess I'll manage. Thanks for your help anyway Ezridax

FISMA wrote: »
    021CRETE01,
    At what maximum distance do you expect to shoot?

In general, big targets need small magnification and little targets need big magnification.

If the scope will spend its life on a 22lr, I doubt you'll be doing much shooting out past 150ya. Thus, a 3-9x40mm should be enough.

If you got a good deal on a 6.5-20x50mm, I would not hesitate to buy one. It might also be a good idea to invest in a bigger and better scope right now, if you ever want to shoot a faster round, like a 223, out to greater distances.

I will be sticking with .22 Lr for sure, & thanks for your help

ruger1894c wrote: »
    Personly i prefere a bigger objective..its alot brighter and 30mm tube helps also..
    Iv a 3-9x50 on my .22 and i love it..very bright.

Thanks Ruger , very helpful

Hibrion wrote: »
    Your bang on with the sizes either would work, but I'd try go for a better brand of scope. I've never been happy with how my Hawke scope on my 22lr holds zero. It's a 3-10x44, magnification and clarity are ok, but it just doesn't hold a zero for very long.

Thanks Hibrion, I'm sort of committed to the purchase so I'll problably go with the deal (right price).I'll certainly mention your comment on "holding zero".Thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

021CRETE01 wrote: »
    Do'nt understand difference between magnif'n 6-24 and 3-9 (all new to me) but I guess I'll manage. Thanks for your help anyway Ezridax
    All variable power copes have a high, and low setting (plus everything in between). So when i say i have 6-24 it means my scopes will zoom from a minimum of 6 power to a maximum of 24 power, and everything in between. What i use depends on distance i'm shooting, and the type of shooting.

So if shooting rabbits, and other game, and i need quick acquisition i use a lower setting. If shooting targets then i use a higher setting because the target is stationary and i want to see a much detail of the target and bullet impact as i can.

The magnification settings on most scopes are based on eye sight. So if my scope is 6 - 24 power then it goes from 6 times normal eye sight to 24 times eye sight.

The only difference with fixed powered scopes are they are set on a specific magnification setting, and cannot be zoomed in or out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Hi Ezridax,

Thanks for your info.Amazing when something is simply explained.I'm looking forward to experimenting in the field.

Regards
    021CRETE01

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

i have a nikko sterling she is 3 12 40 hold zero well but only good up to 100 yards with the bunnies i was thinking heading over to a hawke 4 12 50 but having second thaughts now

Advertisement