Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friendship

• 19-10-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I am about to retire early from my job and am worried that I will not have enough to do. It seems like a long week without work and I already volunteer two places and have various hobbies. I would like to broaden my social scene but don't know how to go about it. Any suggestions? Polite ones please.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A polite suggestion...

...teach people manners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

You could relax and enjoy your retirement, if that fails have you ever considered chat line work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Write up your bucket list........ your running out of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Learn a musical instrument and find a jazz session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Sarky wrote: »
    Learn a musical instrument and find a jazz session.
    Don't ever do that.

Find some kind of social group relating to what you enjoy, it's always good to meet people with similar hobbies/interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

you could try meetup.com
    its not a dating site, there are meetups for just about every facet of life imaginable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

i'll give you all my friends if i can retire early (both of them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

fishing? its great for people with no friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Start drinking heavily and smoke copious amounts of weed. The time will absolutely fly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Elisa Doolittle

Well guys that's been really brillant. I have just learned a lot of absolutely original ways to pass the time. I think I'll probably take up most of the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A polite suggestion...

...teach people manners?

One must study hard if one wishes to be in polite company. Now repeat after me: The rayne in Spayne fawls maynely on de playne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Have a think about what activities you like to do. google a club that organises things, take part. It's a no brainer really and you will make lots of friends doing it, good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Probably an obvious one but if there's a band or artist you really like then you could perhaps join their fan club website and meet up others who share your interest in them .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Do you like growing your own veg? join GIY and meet up with other members in your area who can share information with you and vice versa on growing your own, and help you with bigger jobs to be done in the garden (like the old Irish idea of the meitheal).

Do you like crafts? join a Stitch and Bitch knitting or crochet group. They''re all over the country now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

For a small fee I will be your friend.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does travel interest you? With your life's work done its a good time to reward yourself. I've an uncle who retired at 55 and has been racking up visits to as many countries as he can since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Reasonable advice on this thread, to my surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

Initiate conversations by approaching people or animals and telling them that your surname is actually quite ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I met people through boards actually...see them more than I see my other friends!!

• Advertisement

One left hander to another. Yes that is an option. However, I was once on hols and met a woman who went on four or five hols a year but other than that she didn't seem to have many people in her life. I am more concerned about not having enough to do on an ordinary day. I have just spent a week's hols at home as an experiment and was a bit bored. Fifty two of them seems a bit scarey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

YOu could learn a new skill like photography or even start a small business. You have the time now and there must be something that's interested you in the past but you never had the time to dedicate to it.

Learning a skill will consume your time and the search for information and learning will bring you into contact with all sorts of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

See what the other retirees do. (Not that all of us are retirees! :D)

Actually a new skill is probably the best option. I think photography might be it. I'm useless with a camera and I recently got a present of a very good camera with all sorts of capabilities which are wasted on me. I would love to be able to take good photos. Not sure it will absorb all my time but it will help. Thanks for your suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Actually a new skill is probably the best option. I think photography might be it. I'm useless with a camera and I recently got a present of a very good camera with all sorts of capabilities which are wasted on me. I would love to be able to take good photos. Not sure it will absorb all my time but it will help. Thanks for your suggestions.
    You'd be very surprised by how much there is to photography. The camera is easier now but once you get into techniques and start to understand what's happening it will become apparent there's so much information on different styles.

If you get a book don't bother with the beginner ones. All they'll cover is what the buttons on the camera do.

Plenty of help and information over in the Photography forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Thanks. I am looking into meetup.com. It sounds good.

Hi Ridley. That made me laugh. Am I right in thinking you haven't ever heard of Elisa Doolittle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Friendship among Men:

A man didn't come home one night. The next morning he told his wife that he had slept over at a friend's house. The woman called her husband's 10 best friends. Eight confirmed that he had slept over, and two said he was still there.

Now, THAT'S friendship!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I didn't even read the thread, but this is what I thought of when I seen the title;

• Advertisement
Advertisement