Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

donalg1 wrote: »
    I brought it up to demonstrate how the majority of those that claim they cant afford it are talking sh1te.

You are a real people's person, a humanitarian.
    What a downright disgraceful statement to make.

donalg1 wrote: »
    How do you know what I earn Robbie?

You see what I do is I get my monthly income and put that in say Column A and then I get what I know my bills will be that month and put them in Column B. I then take the total of Column B and subtract that from Column A leaving me with my disposable income for the month. Now with other expenses such as motor tax, house insurance, bins and whatever else I know they are due in March, or April or September or whenever so I can add these to my monthly budget aswell as they are somewhat predictable expenses. That way I get figure X at the end of each month, X being what I have left (usually X is pretty small).

Thats the beauty of anonimity. People only know what we want them to know. At the moment, anyway. In the future, I not so sure. Could be wrong.
    Anyhoo, I employ the same method of budgetary strategy as you do. Now, although we are not exactly on the breadline, I dont mind telling you that there's really not that much left in column A after I do my subtraction, and I am in a better position than most. But I am cognisant of the fact that for a large amount of people in my community alone(one small community in a country of 4.5 million people) that column A stops about halfway down the page of the budget ledger, but column B keeps going down, if you get my drift. I understand that someone who is not seeing it every day would have a different perspective. I said too much already, but you can take my word for it, but ya wont, anyway.

lugha wrote: »
    So do you think if they did cap these large pensions that would solve our problems and we could undo all the austerity measures and bid adieu to property tax?

With the austerity budgets that we had in the past number of years, our deficit really should be balanced, in the normal order of things, am I right there. Well, ya see, if our elected government was working for us, the people of Ireland, instead of the people of other countries, we should'nt have the sort of debt that we have.

On the night of the government’s secret bank guarantee Brian Lenihan would not have been able to sign off on the bailout. He would not have had the authority to indebt the people of the country to the banks in the sum of €64,000,000,000. Instead he would have simply told the people who allegedly persuaded him, that Ireland had a system called Direct Democracy and that in that system the government had a lawful duty call within days for a referendum to decide on this matter.

Please tell me, is this statement wrong, and if so, explain to me why it is wrong. (You should also Wiki austerity).

I already pay a hell of a lot more than my share & all I want is for the huge numbers of people who only depend on the services and welfare that my taxes are used for, to make some contribution to resolving the mess this country is in.

Do you really, really still not believe that the extra money that the govt. are taking off us, is not going to pay for and keep paying bankers, bondholders, politicians inflated pensions etc. I do believe that in your heart, you know the truth.

I see what you mean.

Must tell them in M&S tomorrow that I'm not going to pay the VAT on my groceries for same reasons!!!

But you are getting something in return from M&S for your money.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

But under your system you could just keep saying I want something else, I am not happy with X Y Z so I won't obey the law. Was there ever a time in the past you were happy with anything, maybe before you finished up living in Donegal?

And why would you deliberately want to deflect away from the fact that even before the bust or the bailout, that there was literally millions upon millions drained from the public purse, down through the years, with no accountability. I, like you, was here before, sitting in this very room, listening to C.J. telling us, the plebs then and the plebs now, that we have to tigthen our belts. Dont even go there.

MadYaker wrote: »
    That post of mine was clearly sarcasm. Obviously went over your head a bit.

Obviously.

MadYaker wrote: »
    There are a lot of over paid people in the PS. No arguments there. But there are also a lot jobs in the PS/banks which require highly qualified, intelligent and skilled people. Therefore these jobs needs to come with high wages and good pensions to compete with jobs of a similar level in the private sector/other countries or else all the best candidates will go to the private sector/other countires and our public sector and banks will be even more dysfunctional than they already are because they would be run by under-qualified and inexperienced people. This is why top level public servants and bankers have to be paid well. You need to offer good money to attract the best people, someone running a bank has to be paid more than the guy cleaning the streets.

However it needs to be more performance related. If the banks are responsible for creating messes like they created here then the people in charge at the time should not be given huge pensions for having done a sh!te job.

I dont care who it is, nobody, but nobody is worth €10,000 per week. By the way, I would put that guy who cleans the streets, that you mention, far above the banker regarding the importance of the work that he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

loggedoff wrote: »
    Only 65% of tax collected to go to the areas where it was collected!

This true LO? Where did You find this out, please. If so, then it throws the BS argument by big phil out the window to pay your HHC so your local council can function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I see what you mean.

Must tell them in M&S tomorrow that I'm not going to pay the VAT on my groceries for same reasons!!!

If a minimum wage person buys the same items in M&S as you, they pay a higher % tax on it than you likely do. Conveniently forgotten though, isn`t it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Despite increasing the cost of motor tax, the govt have now implied that we should either fix our own roads, or at least pay towards the repair (what, again?)

A govt completely out of their depth.
    THE public may be asked to get out their shovels and wallets if they want their local road repaired. Transport Minister Leo Varadkar says a new scheme will allow people to help share the cost of repairing local roads – or do it themselves – from next year.

Between €5m and €10m will be made available from the Government, with further funding to be sourced from the public. He added it would allow minor works such as potholes to be repaired which might otherwise not be addressed.

"There are proposals to introduce a new community involvement scheme for regional and local roads on a pilot basis in 2013 involving an exchequer contribution of between €5m and €10m," he said. "This revised scheme should allow communities and the State to share the cost, or the workload, involved in repairing minor roads which wouldn't otherwise be improved."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/residents-may-have-to-share-cost-of-repairing-roads-or-grab-a-shovel-3319239.html

And....... Cue the govt defenders.......

Ghandee wrote: »

Yes, and the "motor tax is not for roads" brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Despite increasing the cost of motor tax, the govt have now implied that we should either fix our own roads, or at least pay towards the repair (what, again?)

A govt completely out other depth.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/residents-may-have-to-share-cost-of-repairing-roads-or-grab-a-shovel-3319239.html

they cant be fcukin serious?:confused: they are gone beyond the joke now.

next thing is they'll be asking us to provide our own services while paying some form of service tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes, and the "motor tax is not for roads" brigade.

That's right. Motor tax goes into the general pot, much like vat, income tax, the hhc.......

Nothing seems to pay towards anything though. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

darkhorse wrote: »
    Do you really, really still not believe that the extra money that the govt. are taking off us, is not going to pay for and keep paying bankers, bondholders, politicians inflated pensions etc. I do believe that in your heart, you know the truth.

Do you really really still not believe that the extra money that the govt. are taking off us, is not going to pay for and keep our basic services afloat. I do believe that in your heart, you know the truth.

If a minimum wage person buys the same items in M&S as you, they pay a higher % tax on it than you likely do. Conveniently forgotten though, isn`t it.

If you want a debate on whether the Irish tax system is progressive or not, I'd be happy to facilitate you!

If I buy goods / services out of my net earned income as opposed to the masses in this country who receive benefits which are far greater than their contribution, you just might be surprised at the real effective tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bgrizzley wrote: »

next thing is they'll be asking us to provide our own services while paying some form of service tax.

Didn't the people on my street have to pay to clean the drains behind our homes which were blocked by a problem with their pipes further up the public road and backing up in our gardens. That's when they told me that my home was "private and nothing to do with them". Their fault but we had to pay. That's why I will do all in my power not to pay this tax. This country is now a Dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

bgrizzley wrote: »

That or a new "paying taxes" tax :rolleyes: . Feck it, Id better shut up or Ill give them ideas :D

If you want a debate on whether the Irish tax system is progressive or not, I'd be happy to facilitate you!
    I get the feeling you would be more used to facilitating yourself than anyone else.
    If I buy goods / services out of my net earned income as opposed to the masses in this country who receive benefits which are far greater than their contribution, you just might be surprised at the real effective tax rate.

Since you believe the property tax is a "pissy" amount, that says enough, to avoid needing any debate about the effects of taxes on the "masses" compared to those that see it as a paltry sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Didn't the people on my street have to pay to clean the drains behind our homes which were blocked by a problem with their pipes further up the public road and backing up in our gardens. That's when they told me that my home was "private and nothing to do with them". Their fault but we had to pay. That's why I will do all in my power not to pay this tax. This country is now a Dictatorship.

All along it was because of the problem with the drains. I never knew. And what's this about I will do all in my power? Just do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I get the feeling you would be more used to facilitating yourself than anyone else.

Since you believe the property tax is a "pissy" amount, that says enough, to avoid needing any debate about the effects of taxes on the "masses" compared to those that see it as a paltry sum.

It would be a pissy amount compared to a Sky sub. Which some people here have declared they can't do without. The ones that could have paid €100 at the start of the year but refused will have turned it into €200 next year. That's just being foolish with money.

It would be a pissy amount compared to a Sky sub. Which some people here have declared they can't do without. The ones that could have paid €100 at the start of the year but refused will have turned it into €200 next year. That's just being foolish with money.

You seem obsessed with this sky thing.

Having said that, I got rid of it myself a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

darkhorse wrote: »
    I dont care who it is, nobody, but nobody is worth €10,000 per week. By the way, I would put that guy who cleans the streets, that you mention, far above the banker regarding the importance of the work that he does.

Somebody being worth €10,000 a week is debatable, but thats capitalism for you. Some people are going to earn more than others. I can only assume that the second part of your post is an attempt at humour.
    That's right. Motor tax goes into the general pot, much like vat, income tax, the hhc.......

Nothing seems to pay towards anything though. :confused:

Unfortunately that's what happens when you're country is running at a deficit and owes billions to foreign banks. We pay more tax and get less in return, until our nations debts are payed off of course.

I should clarify.

It's a pissy amt relatively. Relative to the hullabaloo from certain quarters.

The bottom line is that everyone has to make a contribution to sorting current budget deficit out. It seems to me that the people who are the main beneficiaries are intent on continuing with their pseudo resistance.

All that said, it really doesn't matter at this stage. The tax will be collected. I guarantee you that you will pay your property tax (and your household charge including accrued arrears). I acknowledge in advance that you (and Ghandee / Tayto etc) will resist this, so only time will tell.

On the bright side, 4 or 5% of the deficit is now fixed. Water charges will contribute another 3 or 4%. As Tesco say, every little helps;)

All along it was because of the problem with the drains. I never knew. And what's this about I will do all in my power? Just do nothing.

You needn't worry about that. They know I won't pay. My home is private.:D

799, 997 people now.

Fuçkin cowards :cool:

There is another way of looking at this Gh: Donny only surveys 3 people who had NOT paid their HHC and are now paying it. I can honestly not understand how anyone can only speak to 3 people about the HHC. Don't worry Donny, Ghandee also spoke for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-will-have-the-power-to-enter-homes-to-assess-tax-rate-3319241.html

Here is todays threat.
    Surely this requires a Constitution Referendum by the people to enact?

lugha wrote: »
    Maybe not on their PAYE income. But they may have other income (a few acres of land, or they might be one of these evil types who have a second house! :pac:)

So, if You have a 2nd home, You are an 'evil type'???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

pitkan wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-will-have-the-power-to-enter-homes-to-assess-tax-rate-3319241.html

Here is todays threat.
    Surely this requires a Constitution Referendum by the people to enact?

Just spotted this myself.....will you let anyone through the door of your house?

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just spotted this myself.....will you let anyone through the door of your house?

They will not be coming into my home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement