Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just spotted this myself.....will you let anyone through the door of your house?

Well, there's the front gate to negotiate firstly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

pitkan wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-will-have-the-power-to-enter-homes-to-assess-tax-rate-3319241.html

Here is todays threat.
    Surely this requires a Constitution Referendum by the people to enact?

The secret police are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-will-have-the-power-to-enter-homes-to-assess-tax-rate-3319241.html

Here is todays threat.

I could be wrong but I don't think so. They aren't changing any wording of the constitution, just bringing in new legislature, which they have the power to do since they are in government. However if it does contradict any part of the constitution then government won't be able to bring it in. If this is true then its not looking good for the property tax dodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The legislation also imposes a maximum fine of €3,000 on a homeowner who "fails to submit a return or fails to include all required information" having been told to do so.

good luck with that, even if they sent letters by registered post, people are unlikely to sign for it when they see the Revenue's logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

mikom wrote: »

Indeed. I think some may be replying to posts in this thread.
    I'm just wondering what's left in the sack of threats before they reach the "You'll be dragged from your home and executed in front of your family" threat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Hardly, the Gardai can already enter homes with a simple warrant.
    So the government can simply enact any legislation they want.

dvpower wrote: »

Do you know how hard it is to get a warrant?

It does seem a bit silly though, I mean they're hardly going to smash your door down if you refuse to let them in to assess your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I never answer my door to anyone. My family have keys. No key no entry.
    Have a big sign on the door "Beware of the Wife".

Seems Sinn Fein are fully on the no side now and are forming a campaign as well

A nationwide campaign against the property tax has been launched by Sinn Fein.
    The opposition confirmed it will also table a motion of no confidence in the Government in the Dail next week.
    Party leader Gerry Adams accused Fine Gael and Labour of breaking their contract with the electorate and tearing up their election promises.
    "During the election these parties stood on a platform of standing up for Ireland's interests in Europe; of 'not one more red cent' to be given to the banks; of protecting child benefit," said Mr Adams.

"The government not only failed to keep their promises but they have taken the extreme opposite approach. They have introduced a savage, regressive budget which among other measures sees a new tax on the family home, cuts to child benefit and payments to carers.
    "The budget targets ordinary working families and the most vulnerable in our society and further damages the potential for economic growth and recovery."

Elsewhere Sinn Fein activists across the Republic have been mobilising against the family home tax, introduced in last week's budget.
    Households will be hit with a 0.18% property tax rate, costing an average 250-300 euro a year, with a higher mansion tax rate of 0.25% for homes worth one million euro plus. Elected representatives, activists and supporters are angry at the tax hike, as well as cuts, are taking part in protests, information stalls and leaflet drops.

Deputy leader Mary Lou McDonald said campaigners will be active across the state this weekend and all next week. She also called for a major mobilisation at the Dail next Friday when the legislation is being debated.
    "I would encourage as many people as possible to get out on the streets and show your opposition to this unfair tax before the government rushes it into law," Ms McDonald added.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/sinn-feins-property-tax-campaign-3319605.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

MadYaker wrote: »
    Somebody being worth €10,000 a week is debatable, but thats capitalism for you. Some people are going to earn more than others. I can only assume that the second part of your post is an attempt at humour.

Second silly post in as many days.

Capitalism would have let a broke, privately owned bank fail.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's what happens when you're country is running at a deficit and owes billions to foreign banks. We pay more tax and get less in return, until our nations debts are payed off of course.

Let's not forget the billions 'owed' to bondholders of banks that cease to exist never mind operate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Here is todays threat.
    This is a red line issue for most people- and I question if the proposals to give the revenue commissioners the RIGHT to enter your home is constitutional. A police officer is only allowed to enter your home where they are CERTAIN that someone's life is in danger or some VITALLY IMPORTANT evidence is about to be destroyed or suspicion of drugs thus geting a search warant. On all other occasions a warrant must be obtained. Likewise, a public health nurse may enter your home in her capacity as public health nurse without a warrant. Environment officers and health and safety officers may enter your home to abate a threat to the environment or public health and safety without a warrant.

The inviolability of the dwelling is guaranteed by Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights and Article 40.5 of the Irish Constitution. This proposal is frankly outrageous and has to be challenged.

A 'simple' warrant?

Your spouting unfiltered crap here DV. You ask any Garda you know on the 'simplicity' of acquiring a warrant.......
    So the government can simply enact any legislation they want.

A draconian, financial, dictatorship. Spot on.

A Dictatorship I tell yis, a Dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    So, if You have a 2nd home, You are an 'evil type'???
    No, of course not. But some on the no side here seem to think that someone having a NPPR must practically be in league with Satan.

Ah the ‘aul conspiracy virus strikes again. As soon as one poor devil appears to have shaken off the affliction another one is struck down. I wonder is there some ointment available that you could lather on somewhere to help? :P
    I'm just wondering what's left in the sack of threats before they reach the "You'll be dragged from your home and executed in front of your family" threat.

So the collective noun for threats is sack? Never knew. Of course some of us would say legislating with penalties and punishments for those who think they are free to break the laws they don’t like is pretty standard fare and are in place for pretty much every law on the statute books.

lugha wrote: »
    No, of course not. But some on the no side here seem to think that someone having a NPPR must practically be in league with Satan.

Satan AKA Sean Quinn....

Seems Sinn Fein are fully on the no side now and are forming a campaign as well

This could be very, very bad news for a more than fragile coalition.

Word on the grapevine is that more than a few labour members are ready to jump ship already in a vain attempt to distance themselves from a treacherous party.

The smugness might yet be wiped clean of a few lads faces here yet.

Ghandee wrote: »

Word on the grapevine is that more than a few labour members are ready to jump ship already in a vain attempt to distance themselves from a treacherous party.

They would want to jump soon as they are going the way of the greens in the next election.

God help them if the "grey brigade" get their hands on them.

Satan AKA Sean Quinn....
    Ah leave SQ alone. He stood up to the man when they tried to apply the law unfairly to him. That makes him a hero to some around here. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah leave SQ alone. He stood up to the man when they tried to apply the law unfairly to him. That makes him a hero to some around here. :pac:

And a sex symbol to others...

Well he did shop at the same bank as Big Phil.

I don't think any semi-clued in Labour (or FG) TD would have been in the slightest doubt that they were going to have to make and stand over some very unpopular decisions. I wouldn't be terribly convinced of any bewailing from them that they never thought it would come to this. But some are easily fooled. :)

Second silly post in as many days.

Capitalism would have let a broke, privately owned bank fail.

Let's not forget the billions 'owed' to bondholders of banks that cease to exist never mind operate.

There is nothing silly about my post. In a capitalist economy the people in charge who make important decisions get payed more.

Are you saying Ireland doesn't have a capitalist economy? Because it does, regardless of what Brian Lenihan signed in the past.

Just out of interest, how many TDs will have to fall on their swords before the governments majority is in danger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Do you have any idea which labour tds are ready to jump ship ? Patrick Nulty had a statement on his website about the recent budget- be interesting if its true-which labour members are ready to jump ship ?

http://www.patricknulty.ie/?p=1573

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

This one in particular was gold!

Sounds not great, but VB actually had me in tears that night! (fast forward to 3.45 on for the best part lol)

Brilliant!!!

Who is the gobshíte who refused to answer the question? Anyone from the pro side here?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Everyone is invited to the Secret Policeman's Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Am Chile wrote: »
    Do you have any idea which labour tds are ready to jump ship ? Patrick Nulty had a statement on his website about the recent budget- be interesting if its true-which labour members are ready to jump ship ?

http://www.patricknulty.ie/?p=1573

He only used the Labour name to get elected. He left shortly afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

[QUOTE=dxhound2005;8213341 Was there ever a time in the past you were happy with anything, maybe before you finished up living in Donegal?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this speech made me happy. Oh, and I had to come to Donegal for work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhxp-JJqDo&feature=player_embedded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Anyone do an analysis of the Revenue powers for collection of the Local Property Tax (and Household Charge arrears)?

As Pat McArdle said yesterday morning "they (Revenue) are going to be good at this".

I just hope the 'Don't Register, Don't Pay' crew will be there to support (i.e. to pay the penalties) all of those they convinced to break the law now. A lot of these people used be compliant taxpayers and now they find themselves in this mess.

I want to ask you a querstion if I may Donal - While I agree the revenue know exactly how to 'lean on people' to pay their taxes, do I not recall correctly Noonan saying NOBODY would be going to jail over non-payment of the HHC? I for one, will throw myself off the COM before giving these self centred leeches a CENT for the HHC...............and I am not BSing over this!!!

What kind of society brings a 70yo man to crying on the radio this week????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement