Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    Criminals who flout the law need to be brought into line, I'm sure you'd agree.

Indeed I would.

So, I presume this govt in the very near future are going to start jailing bankers, instead of propping up their salaries and pensions with taxpayers money?

Take your time on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    Indeed I would.

So, I presume this govt in the very near future are going to start jailing bankers, instead of propping up their salaries and pensions with taxpayers money?

I look forward to it.
    They can double them up in the same cell as the tax evaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Would you not agree that some of the governments latest statements and laws, if not similar to nazism, at least resemble some form of a dictatorship?
    I would suggest you look at the various (maximum) penalties and punishments for refusing to abide by other laws of the state. In relation to property tax, I've seen no "threats" (or enforcing the law, as most of us would call it) which are noticeably more putative than these.

I look forward to it.

Careful now.....

Were you not 'brought into line' yourself a few evenings ago for using that line all too frequently:pac:

(for the record, I've never reported a post of yours, not once.)

Jebus - if it isn't the Nazis your blathering on about, it's the Blueshirts.
    Possibly we are seeing the first signs of a movement from the denial stage to the anger one? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

bgrizzley wrote: »
    We have the same if not less services since the start of the recession. our existing taxes have always paid for that level of service (and we've supplemented with private companies where they are lacking).
    So why not just be honest and call this a bondholder tax/Croke-park-tax/whatever tax, cause it most certainly is not to maintain the services that we are already paying for...

You better get used to a hell of a lot less service and a hell of a lot more tax.

No more living on the never never. You mightn't be able to grasp it now, but in 20 years when you look back you'll understand it.

You're living in a low density populated country & you have no God given right to the type of services that you have become used to (never mind decent services!!). Those who have funded you for the last generation won't do it anymore. It's called an 'adjustment to your standard of living' and it's coming to you - one way or another (and another will be tougher than one way:D:D).

lugha wrote: »
    I would suggest you look at the various (maximum) penalties and punishments for refusing to abide by other laws of the state. In relation to property tax, I've seen no "threats" (or enforcing the law, as most of us would call it) which are noticeably more putative than these.
    A Class C fine I think.

Obviously if you refuse to pay the fine, the Zyklon B gets deployed. Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

For the person who sent me a pm, you have blocked pms?

Hi Lugha, how's the form?

I've a few high strength Polish beers chilling this evening, so the spirit will be up later.

Would you, (or anyone else) like to point me towards one single threat big Phil and his cronies made in relation to the hhc that actually got carried out?

He didn't raid any accounts that I know of, nor deduct it from source, never heard any outraged citizens whinging about their street lights being turned off either...

Why would that be do you think? Wasn't lawful, was it?

I hope this is the truth but somehow I smell a rat.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1209/labour-budget-fine-gael.html

Would this crowd be so underhand as to tell the taxpayer one thing but do the sneaky deed?
    They have paid everything else and complied all along. I really hope they have grown a pair but something about this does not ring true. Rabbitte had a odd looking stare in his eye when he announced this on the News.

Maybe i'm just a complete skeptic but then again what would have made me that way?
    I don't think there is any great surprise here. There was much talk about doing a debt deal for us (but not before Xmas).

Pat may be anticipating the deal we will get. Or if you are an old cynic, you might suspect that the bones of the deal are already agreed but the timing of it being made public are being managed strategically to deflate anger at the budget?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

K-9 wrote: »
    We barely pay enough taxes to cover public sector pay and welfare so nope, we aren't maintaining the services we currently have. People who keep repeating this aren't helping.

you should read my post, you are more or less repeating what i said...

Would you, (or anyone else) like to point me towards one single threat big Phil and his cronies made in relation to the hhc that actually got carried out?
    Some people got brought to court. They are due up again any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Has anyone else noticed that there's been a bit of inflation around the word "nazi"? I mean, it used to be the case that you needed a good dose of anti-semitism, a distaste for democracy and some serious territorial ambitions about your neighbouring countries to qualify for the moniker. Now any old right of centre plodder (and indeed left of centre, if you include Labour) gets to be called a nazi. What happens if politicians who resemble actual nazis emerge? What do we call them? Super nazis? Mega nazis?

Maybe Fr. Ted.

Some people got brought to court. They are due up again any day now.

Landlords though.

Running a businesses by letting out properties. ;)
    Akin to an engineering firm not paying their rates, the country will watch the outcome of this case/cases very closely.

(hence the lack of support from homeowners on this thread)

Careful now.....

Were you not 'brought into line' yourself a few evenings ago for using that line all too frequently:pac:

(for the record, I've never reported a post of yours, not once.)
    I know.
    Some people just can bear the term.
    Blueshirt and Nazi are perfectly acceptable, but we need to draw a line somewhere.

Landlords though.

Running a businesses by letting out properties. ;)
    Akin to an engineering firm not paying their rates, the country will watch the outcome of this case/cases very closely.

(hence the lack of support from homeowners on this thread)
    "First they came for the Landlords and I didn't say anything because I wasn't a Landlord...."

I'm liking this Nazi theme - plenty of material.

I've a few high strength Polish beers chilling this evening, so the spirit will be up later.
    Good gravy! There are certainly some fine beer to be had out in Poland but any of the stuff they send over here is awful sh*te. I’ve a few nice Lithuanian beers myself (Svyturys Baltas) as I settle in for a night of fighting the forces of evil on the internet. :pac:
    Why would that be do you think? Wasn't lawful, was it?
    You seem to keep missing the fact that TDs are legislators, that is their primary function. They make, modify, amend and appeal laws as they see fit.

Unless something is unconstitutional, the government essentially can do what they like as far as the law goes. And there is nothing sinister about that. This is their role.

That they haven’t is more to do with the fact that governments that use sticks rather than carrots tend to have short careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Indeed I would.

If we could find a law which they flouted, yes.

It's not either or though. Here is what happens.

You fail to pay taxes in time.
    A fee or/and interest is attached to the taxes owed.
    Interest is calculated per day on the taxes and fines.

The tax is a debt. You owe it.
    Failure to pay it will involve a private sector agent - a debt collector. In this case the sheriff. He gets paid for recovering the debt - as a percentage of the money recovered.
    He will take more than the owed debt as it will be sold in auction at lower than cost. He also gets his take. If you owe 300 he'll probably take 1000 worth.
    Harass him and it's obstruction of justice. He will have a warrant which makes him not an intruder. Fight him off and he will bring the police. Fight them off and it's a criminal offence not just a civil one.

But, good luck.

Jebus - if it isn't the Nazis your blathering on about, it's the Blueshirts.

tinfoil hat time (i never mentioned them;))

I look forward to it.

do we actually have 700,000 cells in the country??????:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

No.

Its called enforcing the law enacted by a democratically elected Government (with a huge majority). Criminals who flout the law need to be brought into line, I'm sure you'd agree.

Still peddling this huge majority bullsh*t, albeit the idea appears to be fading for you too.

Just ask yourself, and be honest (at least with yourself) why is our current government made up of a "coalition".

It's just like telling us we can't expect to "continue getting these services for free", when we have been paying for them all along. If you keep repeating it, you begin to believe it.

Possibly we are seeing the first signs of a movement from the denial stage to the anger one? :)

see response to DV, never mentioned them, you guys are seriously getting paranoid. :(

tinfoil hat time (i never mentioned them;))

The brownshirts were the Nazi paramilitaries. Here you are just a little earlier comparing FG to them.
    you need to read up a bit on the history of your party DX. FG were as close to the brownshirts as we have ever had in this country. no wonder Herr Enda gets on so well with Frau Angela...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Hijpo wrote: »
    I cant see why courses cant be set up to teach people on the dole to lay some tarmac, plant a tree, flush out a blocked sewer etc etc in order to keep claiming there dole. Then employ them to maintane there citys, towns and countys in exchange for what they already have be it LA housing or whatever. More people contributing to the up keep of the country without the extra cost. Money for nothing is a silly idea.

I would also be happy to advocate payment of Social Welfare for some contribution (but arguably it's already happening as a lot of PS employees would never get a role in the private sector).

Some here keep forgetting that 64% of eligible voters did not vote for FG.

Labour, IMO are dead in the water, and therefore aren't worth mentioning, but the folk who keep informing us about the 'law', you'd be best reminded that to (prob more now) that half the country don't want this 'law'.

Labours gonna find that out the hard way, to FF and SF's benefit.

You better get used to a hell of a lot less service and a hell of a lot more tax.

No more living on the never never. You mightn't be able to grasp it now, but in 20 years when you look back you'll understand it.

You're living in a low density populated country & you have no God given right to the type of services that you have become used to (never mind decent services!!). Those who have funded you for the last generation won't do it anymore. It's called an 'adjustment to your standard of living' and it's coming to you - one way or another (and another will be tougher than one way:D:D).

thats good, because i am the god that provides those services to my self and my family, i pipe in the water, pipe out the sh1t, pay for my bins and use a Kindle to read. when we go for a walk its a nice stroll down my neighbours field, which he maintains, no help from the LA. when i go to the shop its in the car i provide and pay for privately...

Parks, libraries, flouridated water, and public sewers and buses, i subsidise them for you BD, and do you know what, you are welcome to my help anytime!!;)

Slick50 wrote: »
    Still peddling this huge majority bullsh*t, albeit the idea appears to be fading for you too.
    What's bullsh*t about it? It is fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

So the Government have 108 of 166 (I think that might be the biggest majority in modern times).
    No danger of this Government falling in the foreseeable.

Unless 26 backbenchers joined with all the opposition and voted against the government.

The brownshirts were the Nazi paramilitaries. Here you are just a little earlier comparing FG to them.

jaysus DV, i thought we were finished with all that... do you have to keep dredging up the past?:)

• Advertisement

Some here keep forgetting that 64% of eligible voters did not vote for FG.
    Spurious argument. Given the diversity of political parties we have and the almost inevitability that any government will be a coalition one, 36% support for the biggest party is close to the maximum you are ever likely to see.
    Labours gonna find that out the hard way, to FF and SF's benefit.
    I don't think Labour were ever deluded about what the impact on their support would be when the elected to go into government.

But the good news is when FF and SF do get into government, they can repeal all of these fascist laws that FG introduced, such as property tax.

If they choose to. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement