Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

looks like a good idea.
    But i'd just like to advise people there is no need to put your real name into the namefield.(its a lot of info along with your electoral district and the questions on the survey form).

dvpower wrote: »
    It looks like they're trying to compile a database of some kind by asking people to register.

Sure that's a mad idea. :pac:

they'd have got away with it too, if it wasnt for them pesky kids.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

bgrizzley wrote: »
    looks like a good idea.
    But i'd just like to advise people there is no need to put your real name into the namefield.(its a lot of info along with your electoral district and the questions on the survey form).

Thats exactly what I done-I filled it in-but excluding using my real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

bgrizzley wrote: »
    looks like a good idea.

What about their idea of increasing the top rate of income tax by 2.5%. And using the simplistic reasoning that this would provide extra funding for local services. Even when we had income tax with 3 bands of 35,48 and 60% local services were underfunded leading to the privatisation of waste collection. I would forsee demands from Health, Education and Social Welfare getting priority for any extra funds. Property Tax is the tried and tested model all round the world which produces long term sustainable income not subject to the vagaries of things like housing bubbles.

http://naapt.weebly.com/our-demands.html

What about their idea of increasing the top rate of income tax by 2.5%. And using the simplistic reasoning that this would provide extra funding for local services. Even when we had income tax with 3 bands of 35,48 and 60% local services were underfunded leading to the privatisation of waste collection. I would forsee demands from Health, Education and Social Welfare getting priority for any extra funds. Property Tax is the tried and tested model all round the world which produces long term sustainable income not subject to the vagaries of things like housing bubbles.

i'd dispute that they were underfunded. i'd suspect that that money had to be diverted to more important things like junkets to China and County managers wages, and shiny new Council buildings.

Not having a property tax was the tried and tested model here, we have come though one of the most affluent periods in Irelands history without one. We are only in recession because of bad management, bad governance, bad politicians.
    we are not in recession because we didnt have a property tax. and if we had one and another boom came around, we would still have a bust after it, property tax or no property tax.

this has nothing to do with a p1ddling 160 million euros, this has to do with control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

With the rate of privatisation in this country the only public services left for the government to provide will be some education a little bit of medical. What will we be paying for then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

pitkan wrote: »

Yes they told blatant lies and just what I suspect will happen in March too i.e. pay the 3.1 billion but pretend to the public that they didn't to prevent all the criticism from the public.
    You can't get to be "Best Boy in the Class" by not paying the Promissory Notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Hijpo wrote: »
    With the rate of privatisation in this country the only public services left for the government to provide will be some education a little bit of medical. What will we be paying for then?

What privatization? When was it done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Am Chile wrote: »
    New anti property tax group have being set up-please check their website folks.

http://naapt.weebly.com/index.html

Are they like the cahwt then? Or can it be expected that they could be in any way more effective than the non existant cahwt?

View wrote: »
    What privatization? When was it done?

Well bin collections have already been done, water is on the way. They already give away our natural resources which is then sold back to us by corporations, then closing wards along with aims of cutting medical services in regional hospitals forcing people (if they can afford it) to go to private clinics for treatment to name a few. Slowly but surely they are eradicating there responsibilities to the public.

Reap the taxes and spend less, isnt this essentially what they are aiming for?

Soon they wont be accountable for providing any meaningful level of service yet they will still demand the same level of taxes, if not more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

pitkan wrote: »

Lying scumbags!!! No other word to describe their lies!!!

A few days ago we all seen in the Irish Independent--the revenue would have powers to enter peoples privately own homes to access and record its value--today in the Irish Independent.
    NEW powers to be given to the Revenue Commissioners to enter people's homes to assess them for the property tax may face a Constitutional challenge, a leading law expert has warned.

The Local Property Tax Bill 2012 will allow tax officials to go on to land and enter properties without a search warrant.

The bill will give Revenue the power to "enter on land and inspect the relevant residential property" to assess its value.

"The section obliges the person occupying the property to allow the authorised person inspect the property at all reasonable times.

The Revenue Commissioners may provide the authorised person with information that is necessary to value the property," the legislation says.

But barrister James McDermott, who also lectures at UCD, said this provision may end up being challenged in the Supreme Court.

He said it appeared to be in conflict with article 40 of the Constitution, which states: "The dwelling of every citizen is inviolable and shall not be forcibly entered save in accordance with law."

Wages

Mr McDermott said this meant that homeowners had protections from having their home forcibly entered by anyone

Expect some Constitutional challenges on this in the new year.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-home-checks-at-odds-with-constitution-3324952.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A few days ago we all seen in the Irish Independent--the revenue would have powers to enter peoples privately own homes to access and record its value

Whats next, required to send them a front door key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'll tell you what frightens me.

The sheep in this country would prob pass this in a referendum:eek:

Le_Dieux wrote: »

Lying scumbags!!! No other word to describe their lies!!!

Careful now, i heard on the radio a lady TD was told to retract her words when she called either kenny of gilmore a liar (i think) and was told that other words can be used lol this is complete ****ology of the highest order, you can call him a liar but you cant use the word liar, maybe ****bag would suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ghandee wrote: »

Yes, even if it took more than one to achieve it.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Careful now, i heard on the radio a lady TD was told to retract her words when she called either kenny of gilmore a liar (i think) and was told that other words can be used lol this is complete ****ology of the highest order, you can call him a liar but you cant use the word liar, maybe ****bag would suffice?

After reading about, and listening to Endas fine debating skills with Gerry Adams in the Dail,the next time someone calls him a liar, I'm fully expecting him to reply with something like;

'I know you are but what am I?'

After reading about, and listening to Endas fine debating skills with Gerry Adams in the Dail,the next time someone calls him a liar, I'm fully expecting him to reply with something like;

Or "yer mother"

• Advertisement

I see Colm Keaveney has joined the independents bench now.

Worrying times for Labour?
    TANAISTE Eamon Gilmore has been dealt a fresh blow this afternoon as Labour Party chairman Colm Keaveney voted against controversial social welfare cuts - and joined the Independent benches in the Dail.

Mr Keaveney is the fifth TD to leave the Labour parliamentary party since Mr Gilmore led them into coalition with Fine Gael after last year's general election.

However, Mr Keaveney is vowing to remain on as party chairman, having been elected by rank-and-file Labour members at party conference earlier this year. He will remain a member of the wider Labour party and is likely to become an even bigger thorn in the leadership's side.

He promised "to fight tooth and nail" to hold onto his chairmanship.

Mr Keaveney said he made his surprise decision with a "very heavy heart".

I think Keaveney knows what he's at with this move.....

V Careful not to bite the hand that feeds him;)

VB will be interesting tonight.

I see Colm Keaveney has joined the independents bench now.

Worrying times for Labour?

I think Keaveney knows what he's at with this move.....

V Careful not to bite the hand that feeds him;)

VB will be interesting tonight.

Call me skeptical--but I wonder if this has anything to do with Colm Keaveneys actions.

CONSTITUENCY
    REFORM:
    With
    just eight constituencies untouched by changes to seats or boundaries by the
    Constituency Commission report published yesterday, TDs from all parties are
    concerned about keeping their seats in the next general
    election.

Colm Keaveney (Lab)

Galway
    East

Galway
    East loses a chunk of its territory and some 20,500 voters to neighbouring
    Roscommon- Galway. The move from four to three seats creates volatility in the
    constituency. Tuam-based Colm Keaveney of Labour and Paul Connaughton jnr of
    Fine Gael, whose heartland is transferred, will feel dispirited.

The
    Connaughton brand remains strong in the area, however. Ciarán Cannon may find
    being a junior minister a disadvantage when the votes are counted and may have
    his work cut out for him.[URL="http://"][/url]

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0622/1224318455972.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He was the first Labour candidate ever voted into the Galway east consituency I think. He knows he has no chance under their banner next time so he's jumping. Doubt he has any chance as an independent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

A few days ago we all seen in the Irish Independent--the revenue would have powers to enter peoples privately own homes to access and record its value--today in the Irish Independent.

Expect some Constitutional challenges on this in the new year.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revenue-home-checks-at-odds-with-constitution-3324952.html

I wouldnt recommend them trying to come in my door, thats for sure :mad:.

Only because it would be worded in complete legal babble like the last few were and a pack of lies attached to it while deliberately keeping funding from the no side as the supreme court ruled after last time. Democracy my hole :rolleyes:.

Haha yeah, I can just picture him doing so in a GW Bush Junior on Family Guy kind of way :D.

Been listening to the radio today. Well, I would say the bould EG is history. Apparently, he and Keaveney hated each other ( heard it today on - I think - PK Show). But while He ( Keaveney is chairman of the LP), he's going to be a real thorn in gilmore's side. GOOD!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He was the first Labour candidate ever voted into the Galway east consituency I think. He knows he has no chance under their banner next time so he's jumping. Doubt he has any chance as an independent anyway.

He has an infinitely better chance as an Independent than he has as a Labour candidate. That's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Whats next, required to send them a front door key?

They can have it:
    http://www.ottosbunker.com.

Yesterday in the dail some in fine gael and labour had some words to say about the planned property tax--its good to see some of them recognize implementing property taxes may bring consequences.
    Coalition TDs have said the property tax is unfair and anti-urban, with Fine Gael politicians saying the planned levy was a danger to social cohesion and could lead to revolt.

Dublin South East TD Eoghan Murphy said the introduction of the tax was wrong and a “danger to social cohesion

Fine Gael’s Olivia Mitchell deemed the property tax “a gross injustice” to people in Dublin.

She warned that a homeowner in south Dublin would pay five times the amount of tax compared to someone in Donegal, even though services in the area cost the same. “This is quite simply unconscionable and people will not accept it,” said Ms Mitchell.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/coalition-tds-attack-unfair-tax-on-property-217085.html

Yesterday in the dail some in fine gael and labour had some words to say about the planned property tax--its good to see some of them recognize implementing property taxes may bring consequences.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/coalition-tds-attack-unfair-tax-on-property-217085.html

I wonder are they beginning to see the actions of their folly? Even oul noonan yesterday said houses affected by by pyrite 'might' be exempted from the property tax.

They really haven't a clue and sooner they are gone, the better.

Alas, they will still be screwing us as they will have lined their pockets with a nice fat pension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

You guys realise that if you stop paying property tax you pay the same or more in income tax. there being a deficit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement