Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

So you're agreeing that they're a bunch of c**ts who fed horseshít to the voting public in a mad scramble for power. You're getting there lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Democratic Ireland, or a dictatorship?

Stephen Donnelly again:
    The Property Tax is going through the Dáil this evening. We've had 90 minutes on it so far, and are now into the Technical Group's motion to reinstate the cut to the Carer's respite grant. Then there's a final two hours on the Property Tax - to go through 86 amendments. Parliamentary democracy is being suppressed in Ireland tonight, yet again, and in a very worrying manner.

There will be a vote at 11pm, at which all Government TDs will vote for something which doesn't stand up to any measure of fairness. I am genuinely at a loss as to why the Government is doing this, in this way.

The Irish people will put up with a lot - we are a very tolerant nation. But, in my opinion anyway, this Bill is contrary to the values of our society. There will be no consideration of negative equity, nor stamp duty already paid, nor different taxation levels applied in different regions, nor ability to pay. Earlier in the Chamber, I was comparing local examples with other independent TDs of the people who are contacting us, saying they barely have food for their children, that they simply cannot pay. But if they don't, the Revenue Commissioners will be obliged to bring the full force of law against them. One TD I work closely with told me that she had three constituents in yesterday who were suicidal.

Many very difficult decisions have to be made to correct the national finances. There do need to be painful cuts to expenditure, and there do need to be increases in revenues raised - this is inescapable. But this measure is not just technically flawed, it is flat out unjust.

It deeply saddens me to see our democracy treated like this, by the two parties elected with overwhelming support to bring much needed change to our country. And it deeply angers me to see the people of Ireland treated like this.

For what little it's worth, and I others are doing what we can to limit the damage done on both fronts.

Stephen.

http://facebook.com/DonnellyforWicklow?id=178881055485251&_rdr#!/story.php?story_fbid=514538391919514&id=178881055485251&__user=525350568

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ghandee wrote: »

Enda is a little megalomaniac and as such he is not fit for office.
    He put the Germans before his own people and as such is a traitor to Ireland.
    History will see this shower branded as traitors anyway.

dvpower wrote: »
    Everyone evading their tax is hiding away.

Not like Fidelma, she hides from no-one.......
    SENATOR Fidelma Healy Eames has been fined €1,850 after pleading guilty to four road traffic offences.

The senator, from Maree, Oranmore in Galway, pleaded guilty at Galway District Court today to three changes of driving without tax and one further charge of failure to display a tax disc.

You'll scorn her I presume?

Well hopefully they will.
    In the meantime you continue to hide away from the authorities, in the hope that they don't catch you. Otherwise you would have taken a principled stand.

Even if caught, it's possible the state could withdraw some charges.......

A charge of false declaration against Ms Healy Eames was later withdrawn by the State. J
    A charge of false declaration against Ms Healy Eames was later withdrawn by the State.

Judge Fahy described the case as "unprecedented" adding; "A declaration was made to say the car was off the road but the car was not off the road. However, the State has withdrawn that charge which in my view was the most serious charge."

Proves that in Ireland, it's not what you know, it's not even who you know.

In the 'do you know who I am?' Senators case, it was who knew her ;)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/senator-fined-for-repeatedly-driving-without-road-tax-3331984.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

N
    Proves that in Ireland, it's not what you know, it's not even who you know.
    The old 'I don't have to obey the the law because someone above me in the pecking order is breaking the law' excuse.

Pathetic.

As the whinger de jour, what does Stephen Donnelly have to say on the matter? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Well then you are blind.
    Every single poll taken since the election puts FG/LAB in front.

No I am not blind. Certainly not so blind that I couldn't see the HHC for what it was, a registration fee for the the full blown scam to come.

How about a link for the most recent poll declaring the majority support for the coalition c*nts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Video of press conference from earlier today--Jimmy Kelly from the Unite trade union speaking confirming the Unite trade union is fully on board ready to fight next years property tax--that is one union on board--I expect people in other unions will put some pressure on their union reps to fight the property tax also.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4650167545528&set=vb.232295486820037&type=2&theater

The old 'I don't have to obey the the law because someone above me in the pecking order is breaking the law' excuse.

Pathetic.

As the whinger de jour, what does Stephen Donnelly have to say on the matter? :rolleyes:

Oh she most definitely isn't 'above me'.

She's lower than whales dung at the bottom of the ocean, and for by that, I need no 'excuse' not to pay a bondholder property tax on my home. To be excused from something is different than flat out refusing you see.

Another FG party member named and shamed DV. How many more can the party cope with?

Another FG party member named and shamed DV. How many more can the party cope with?
    Another one?
    You've been beating that same drum for months now.

Another one?
    You've been beating that same drum for months now.

You're some craic.

How long have you been throwing the term 'evader' out now?

Longer than six months anyway, no doubt you'll be calling for her resignation now? :pac:

• Advertisement

As long as people have been evading their taxes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is the logic:

1. Anyone who thinks a property tax is a good idea must be a Fine Gaeller.
    2. A member of Fine Gael was caught dodging her car tax.
    3. Therefore anyone who supports a property tax is a hypocrite?

I'd have thought that many of the contributors to this thread would have some empathy for Fidelma, since they're basically up to the same trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

You're some craic.

Longer than six months anyway, no doubt you'll be calling for her resignation now? :pac:

Apologies Ghandee, who is 'she'? I hear tonight another LP member ( James Heffernan ) voted against the Bill. It went through 31 to 28.

Really wonder just where this coalition will be this time next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

As long as people have been evading their this taxes.

fixed your libelous post there DV ;)

I'd have thought that many of the contributors to this thread would have some empathy for Fidelma, since they're basically up to the same trick.

Maybe that's where you are going wrong dv.
    You are mixing up the connivance and deceit of FDE with the people who see the HHC as being unjust and unfair. Also many of those who are not paying cannot afford to pay while the same cannot be said of our lovely lady who is supping greedily from the trough while trying her damnest not to contribute to the same trough.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    fixed your libelous post there DV ;)
    What was libellous about it?

You are mixing up the connivance and deceit of FDE with the people who see the HHC as being unjust and unfair.
    I've heard all of the excuses; none of them work.
    Also many of those who are not paying cannot afford to pay while the same cannot be said of our lovely lady who is supping greedily from the trough while trying her damnest not to contribute to the same trough.
    They can tell that to the Revenue and see how they get on.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That Septic Tank charge was just another bit of gouging that went straight to the bankers. Sure what's wrong with our septic tanks. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You are mixing up the connivance and deceit of FDE with the people who see the HHC as being unjust and unfair. Also many of those who are not paying cannot afford to pay while the same cannot be said of our lovely lady who is supping greedily from the trough while trying her damnest not to contribute to the same trough.

Could you put a number or a percentage on that? Remembering that the amount is €100 which covers from Jan 2012 to July 2013.

I've heard all of the excuses; none of them work.

They can tell that to the Revenue and see how they get on.

You can prepare yourself for plenty of that if that's the arrogance of the FG crowd coming out. Blood out of a stone and all that unlike FDE.

602,000 people with nothing left after paying bills 1.8 million with €100 or less left.

It makes me wonder how much the people here who will spend twice the average of other Europeans this Christmas are splashing out. If the average is around €950 they must be spending a hell of a lot each to account for the ones who can only afford €100 or less.

http://thecollegeview.com/2012/12/04/merry-money/

602,000 people with nothing left after paying bills 1.8 million with €100 or less left.

It makes me wonder how much the people here who will spend twice the average of other Europeans this Christmas are splashing out. If the average is around €950 they must be spending a hell of a lot each to account for the ones who can only afford €100 or less.

http://thecollegeview.com/2012/12/04/merry-money/

Yes indeed, the "silly season" will also take it's course and people will get into even more debt by using credit cards and other borrowing. All ably assisted by our greedy banks who will heap another 4% on their credit cards in order to recoup the loses incurred by the other greedy shower, the developers and speculators.

Well then you are blind.
    Every single poll taken since the election puts FG/LAB in front.

You seem to have missed this poll http://www.thejournal.ie/government-satisfaction-rating-plummets-in-new-opinion-poll-423436-Apr2012/
    "The Ipsos MRBI poll for tomorrow’s Irish Times reports that 23 per cent of the electorate now claim to be satisfied with the performance of the government, a figure that is down by 14 per cent from the 37 recorded during the last similar poll"
    Is 23% a majority in FG's fantasy land?

and this one 38% http://blog.isme.ie/government-satisfaction/deterioration-in-business-satisfaction-with-government/

Yes indeed, the "silly season" will also take it's course and people will get into even more debt by using credit cards and other borrowing. All ably assisted by our greedy banks who will heap another 4% on their credit cards in order to recoup the loses incurred by the other greedy shower, the developers and speculators.

One very prudent use of a credit card nearly a year ago would have been to pay the €100. It would save the private householder owing €200 come next July and would have kept them on the right side of the law. More sensible in my opinion than discretionary spending at Christmas or any other time.

One very prudent use of a credit card nearly a year ago would have been to pay the €100. It would save the private householder owing €200 come next July and would have kept them on the right side of the law. More sensible in my opinion than discretionary spending at Christmas or any other time.

Maybe but at Christmas children expect things. They can't be Scrooge all the time and at least they are receiving something for their money.

Slick50 wrote: »

Selective quoting of your link. The relevant bit is this, what DV was referring to.

In the poll – taken on Monday and Tuesday of this week – Sinn Féin’s support is up 6 points to 21, causing losses for Fine Gael (33, down 3), Labour (13, down 6) and Fianna Fáil (14, down 1).

• Advertisement

Selective quoting of your link. The relevant bit is this, what DV was referring to.

In the poll – taken on Monday and Tuesday of this week – Sinn Féin’s support is up 6 points to 21, causing losses for Fine Gael (33, down 3), Labour (13, down 6) and Fianna Fáil (14, down 1).

Have you a link? DV is well able to fight his own corner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement