Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

What about this one. What do you think of Stephen Donnelly campaigning to keep small schools in Wicklow open. Do you think that would be a good use of public resources. Would you support government ministers doing the same in their constituencies?

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/donnelly-calls-for-greater-protection-for-wicklows-small-rural-schools/

See, I can take the thread off in an irrelevant direction just like you do all the time.

What is it about the 'pro brigade'? Bar a few the pro'ers in general are very arrogant when raising their POV. Yes, I can also be obnoxious:o but I all for listening to both sides of the argument. Vlad comes across as reasonable. But there are some others who just want to troll all the time. I totally ignore one such poster.

Can we not please raise our POV's without becoming arrogant?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

darkhorse wrote: »
    pitkan wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/town-councillor-charged-with-deceit-over-conference-expenses-3331994.html
    [/QUOTE]

I have to say, it lifted me a bit when I heard said councillor was granted free legal aid. That was my biggest worry.

He was a Fianna Fail councillor but left or was dropped 5 months ago. You couldn't have a councillor dragging Fianna Fail through the mire now, could you? :rolleyes:
    Back to the future for FF.
    It just confirms that they are all the same FF = FG =Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exactly. He can well afford to pay the charge, yet he refuses to do so. So he'll get very little sympathy around here. Remind you of anyone G-Man??? ;-)

Fidelma ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

dvpower wrote: »

Mind you, I don't recall his election campaign being particularly focussed on the unemployed and DSW recipients.

Tell me then, who sticks out in your mind as having pledged to protect social welfare recipients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Tell me then, who sticks out in your mind as having pledged to protect social welfare recipients.

Like the true lapdog he is, Gilmore followed in Ednas footsteps in the Dail.

Legitimately challenged by Mary Lou, happy Gilmore stuttered and stammered then came up with the usual anti-SF slur.

This countries future, it's in the hands of amateurs and clowns.

Two parties determined to see themselves wiped from the political map imo.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    Like the true lapdog he is, Gilmore followed in Ednas footsteps today.

Legitimately challenged by Mary Lou, happy Gilmore stuttered and stammered then came up with the usual anti-SF slur.

Two parties determined to see themselves wiped from the political map imo.

Think that's good Ghandee?

Anyone listen to Pat Kenny this morning? Some researcher went out to Zambia to assess how the Irish aid was being put to use - when they don't syphon off €4M.

Turns out that Zambia doesn't need Irish aid, but they just kept taking what was being thrown at them blindly. The overseas minister was gobsmacked - first He had heard of it.

Accountability? Irish governmentS don't know the meaning of the word. The way I read it: 'As long as I'M allright jack, screw the person in the street'.:mad:

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Think that's good Ghandee?

Anyone listen to Pat Kenny this morning? Some researcher went out to Zambia to assess how the Irish aid was being put to use - when they don't syphon off €4M.

Turns out that Zambia doesn't need Irish aid, but they just kept taking what was being thrown at them blindly. The overseas minister was gobsmacked - first He had heard of it.

Accountability? Irish governmentS don't know the meaning of the word. The way I read it: 'As long as I'M allright jack, screw the person in the street'.:mad:

Unfknblievable.......

Jesus...............

€4m to folk who don't need it, respite carers left in the lurch.......

Gombeen Govt.

Like the true lapdog he is, Gilmore followed in Ednas footsteps in the Dail.

Ain't dail privilege great. You can spend the whole working day slandering people, without any retribution.

Does anyone here, apart from me. worry that because of this government's decision on the property tax in particular, that there is the potential of criminalising possibly hundred's of thousand's of people, that through no fault of their own may not be able to afford to pay it, people that probably would pay if they were in a position to do so financially, people that otherwise may never have been in any sort of trouble with the law.
    Obviously, it is not going to have any effect on the relatives of the TDs that voted it in, or they would'nt have put it through, as I am sure they must have thought long and hard about it, before they voted.
    I'd also like to hear the views of the people here that advocate the payment, ie. how does this aspect of the non-payment in these circumstances that I've mentioned sit with you people. The other thing I want to say, is, that we know that there is over 300,000 people out of work since the recession, well why then can we not get any more than 20,000 on a peaceful protest, cause if only a quarter of the people thats out of work was to protest outside LH, they would be heard. I just cant figure it out. Maybe people are so bewildered with the governance that they see, rises in PS/CS, bankers etc, that they just gave up. I do know that something has gotta give.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Does anyone here, apart from me. worry that because of this government's decision on the property tax in particular, that there is the potential of criminalising possibly hundred's of thousand's of people, that through no fault of their own may not be able to afford to pay it, people that probably would pay if they were in a position to do so financially, people that otherwise may never have been in any sort of trouble with the law.
    Obviously, it is not going to have any effect on the relatives of the TDs that voted it in, or they would'nt have put it through, as I am sure they must have thought long and hard about it, before they voted.
    I'd also like to hear the views of the people here that advocate the payment, ie. how does this aspect of the non-payment in these circumstances that I've mentioned sit with you people. The other thing I want to say, is, that we know that there is over 300,000 people out of work since the recession, well why then can we not get any more than 20,000 on a peaceful protest, cause if only a quarter of the people thats out of work was to protest outside LH, they would be heard. I just cant figure it out. Maybe people are so bewildered with the governance that they see, rises in PS/CS, bankers etc, that they just gave up. I do know that something has gotta give.

they are probably forced to look after numero uno like they are being forced to, **** you jack im alright is being drilled into them.

• Advertisement

Unfknblievable.......

Jesus...............

€4m to folk who don't need it, respite carers left in the lurch.......

Gombeen Govt.

Ini all fairness to this government Ghandee, the guy made reference to the last lot too. He also said that yes the person in the street is poor, but the coffers in the government there is awash with money.

Sound familiar?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ain't dail privilege great. You can spend the whole working day slandering people, without any retribution.
    Your talking about Mary Lou, right?
    She used Dali privilege yesterday to make an allegation of corruption against James Reilly. He challenged her repeatedly to repeat the allegation outside the dail, but she wouldn't dare.

You have to hand it to the Shinners, blood dripping from their hands. They have some neck.

Slick50 wrote: »

Not if satisfaction ratings are replicated at an election

Satisfaction levels don't tell us anything about voting intentions. That's why they have specific polling questions for that.

I might be dissatisfied with a party, but even more dissatisfied with a potential alternative. Or I might even be satisfied by the performance of an opposition party, in opposition, but I wouldn't want to see them get power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The names for this tax - "Household Charge"; "Property Tax" are classic Orwellian newspeak. Especially "Property Tax", which makes it sound like a tax on wealthy developers.
    This is a Family Home Tax, and should be so called.
    I haven't paid it, but probably will; it's better to pay it and fight it legally than risk being knocked off your bike and killed and leaving a legal rat's nest for your heirs.

This is a Family Home Tax, and should be so called.

It also applies to Landlords, so its much wider than just the 'Family Home'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It also applies to Landlords, so its much wider than just the 'Family Home'

Isn't the landlord version the Second Home Tax?

(Knowing Irish landlords, it'll be subsumed into the rent anyway...)

Isn't the landlord version the Second Home Tax?

(Knowing Irish landlords, it'll be subsumed into the rent anyway...)
    Landlords pay both.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Coming in here at the end but left the states last year and lived in a small town in NJ there and property tax on our home was $9980 for the year. We were allowed to pay it every 3 months.
    Don't forget that started one day at a few hundred as well. Can't understand why we are so quite as a people to let this be shoved down our throat.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Actually I think "Family Home Tax" is less accurate than Property Tax. You can have a family home that isn't liable for it.

Actually I think "Family Home Tax" is less accurate than Property Tax. You can have a family home that isn't liable for it.

Please run through that one for me, how does that work?

• Advertisement

The names for this tax - "Household Charge"; "Property Tax" are classic Orwellian newspeak. Especially "Property Tax", which makes it sound like a tax on wealthy developers.
    This is a Family Home Tax,/Croke park agreement tax, and should be so called.
    I haven't paid it, but probably will; it's better to pay it and fight it legally than risk being knocked off your bike and killed and leaving a legal rat's nest for your heirs.

Don't forget that one too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Please run through that one for me, how does that work?

You can rent property.

You can rent property.

Well then that's a spurious argument, and you know it.

How so?

How so?

Two things wrong with it actually.
    You said.
    You can have a family home that isn't liable for it.
    the highlighted 'you' being wrong, as you won't own that home, you're merely renting it.

Besides that, that 'rented family home' will more than likely be liable for a property tax, that the renter will be paying via his monthly rent, or the landlord will be paying himself (unlikely).

Your talking about Mary Lou, right?
    She used Dali privilege yesterday to make an allegation of corruption against James Reilly. He challenged her repeatedly to repeat the allegation outside the dail, but she wouldn't dare.

James, whiter than white Reilly?

No sir, no corruption here :rolleyes:

He was caught with the trousers down DV man up and accept it.

He should really do the decent thing now and step aside.

You have to hand it to the Shinners, blood dripping from their hands. They have some neck.

There would be a few closer to govt parties with blood on their hands, but we'll nor mention that eh.

It doesn't matter if you own it or not, the fact remains that it can still be used as a family home.

The inverse also applies. Properties that aren't family homes are liable for the tax too.

It doesn't matter if you own it or not, the fact remains that it can still be used as a family home.

That will still be liable for a tax placed over it, even LA houses are liable for the tax, with the LA paying the charge, so like I said. Spurious argument.

Well now, this is getting confusing....
    The inverse also applies. Properties that aren't family homes are liable for the tax too.

:confused::confused:

Which is it?

You are not liable. The property owner is.

• Advertisement

You are not liable. The property owner is.

OK so....
    Actually I think "Family Home Tax" is less accurate than Property Tax. You can't own a family home that isn't liable for it.

FYP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement