Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Spot on. That's what I've been saying all along. You can have family home you don't own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    There would be a few closer to govt parties with blood on their hands, but we'll nor mention that eh.
    I honestly have no idea who you are referring to. Or why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea who you are referring to. Or why.

Ah come on, now have a think about it....

Ah come on, now have a think about it....
    You're getting very cryptic. Why don't you just spit it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭spikethedog

At the time when Gilmore was a member of Official Sinn Fein.

21 June 1973 David Walker (16) Protestant
    Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Found shot in entry off O'Neill Street, Falls, Belfast.

25 September 1973 Seamus Larkin (34) Catholic Status: ex-Official Irish Republican Army (xOIRA), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Found shot in laneway, Flagstaff, near Killeen, County Armagh. Internal OIRA dispute.

11 January 1974 Cecilia Byrne (53) Catholic
    Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Civilian employed by British Army (BA). Killed by bomb attached to car which exploded shortly after leaving Ebrington British Army (BA) base, Waterside, Derry.

11 January 1974 John Dunne (46) Catholic
    Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Civilian employed by British Army (BA). Killed by bomb attached to car which exploded shortly after leaving Ebrington British Army (BA) base, Waterside, Derry.

13 January 1974 Christopher Daly (43) Catholic Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Found shot in entry, off Balholm Drive, Ardoyne, Belfast.

02 June 1974 Paul Tinnelly (34) Catholic
    Status: ex-Official Irish Republican Army (xOIRA), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Shot at his home, The Square, Rostrevor, County Down. Internal OIRA dispute.

06 September 1974 William Elliott (48) Protestant Status: Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Shot during armed robbery at Ulster Bank, The Diamond, Rathcoole, Newtownabbey, County Antrim.

• Advertisement

Eamon Gilmore as President of the Student Union, joined the UCG Republican Club, which was affiliated to Official Sinn Féin, subsequently "Sinn Féin the Workers’ Party" and later renamed the Workers' Party. In recent years he was accused of being evasive on the subject and trying to play down that he had joined the Official Republican Movement, stating that "the party was in the process of becoming the Workers' Party at that time, I can't recall exactly the dates." Using both names, the Workers' Party's links with the proclaimed terrorist organisation the Official Irish Republican Army throughout the 1970s is well established.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

At the time when Gilmore was a member of Official Sinn Fein.

21 June 1973 David Walker (16) Protestant
    Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Found shot in entry off O'Neill Street, Falls, Belfast.

25 September 1973 Seamus Larkin (34) Catholic Status: ex-Official Irish Republican Army (xOIRA), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Found shot in laneway, Flagstaff, near Killeen, County Armagh. Internal OIRA dispute.

11 January 1974 Cecilia Byrne (53) Catholic

11 January 1974 John Dunne (46) Catholic

13 January 1974 Christopher Daly (43) Catholic Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Found shot in entry, off Balholm Drive, Ardoyne, Belfast.

02 June 1974 Paul Tinnelly (34) Catholic
    Status: ex-Official Irish Republican Army (xOIRA), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Shot at his home, The Square, Rostrevor, County Down. Internal OIRA dispute.

06 September 1974 William Elliott (48) Protestant Status: Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC), Killed by: Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) Shot during armed robbery at Ulster Bank, The Diamond, Rathcoole, Newtownabbey, County Antrim.

All of which has nothing to do with the Household Charge or Property Tax.

Very true. Just in reply to a previous posters point.

Tell your spokesperson DV that so, he brought the 'blood dripping' comment into it.

Besides, ironically enough. It wasn't even happy Gilmore I was referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Tell your spokesperson DV that so, he brought the 'blood dripping' comment into it.

Besides, ironically enough. It wasn't even happy Gilmore I was referring to.

So who was it that you were referring to?

• Advertisement

donalg1 wrote: »
    So who was it that you were referring to?

As DNC rightly pointed out, its irrelevant who I was referring to, but the fact remains that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

If any of the coalition parties want to sling mud, they'd do well to look within their own parties first.

As DNC rightly pointed out, its irrelevant who I was referring to, but the fact remains that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

If any of the coalition parties want to sling mud, they'd do well to look within their own parties first.

Yes its off topic but surely if you are going to make an accusation like that you should at least back it up with something, otherwise we could all just start making stuff up.

It would be much easier for you to just name the person you were referring to or retract the comment altogether.

Yes its off topic but surely if you are going to make an accusation like that you should at least back it up with something, otherwise we could all just start making stuff up.

It would be much easier for you to just name the person you were referring to or retract the comment altogether

Donal, you come across as an intelligent enough individual.

Use google, it'll put you out of your misery. If you want dirt on any political party, its there to be found.

Donal, you come across as an intelligent enough individual.

Use google, it'll put you out of your misery. If you want dirt on any political party, its there to be found.

I just googled "who was Ghandee referring to in his post earlier today?" but it didnt give me an answer, so seeing as I have a direct line to the source maybe you could just tell me.

Googled here

I just googled "who was Ghandee referring to in his post earlier today?" but it didnt give me an answer, so seeing as I have a direct line to the source maybe you could just tell me.

Curiosity killed the cat Donal.

There's a lot of whataboutery on this thread.

You can find all sorts of stuff on the internet, not all of it true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

You have to hand it to the Shinners, blood dripping from their hands.

You obviously have strong proof of this, to say it on an internet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Sligoronan wrote: »
    Coming in here at the end but left the states last year and lived in a small town in NJ there and property tax on our home was $9980 for the year. We were allowed to pay it every 3 months.
    Don't forget that started one day at a few hundred as well. Can't understand why we are so quite as a people to let this be shoved down our throat.

welcome to Boards Ronan! can you tell the lads what happens if you cant afford to pay that $9980?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

darkhorse wrote: »
    “An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law.”
    Martin Luther King jr

any chance that this debicle could unearth another martin luther king.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Actually I think "Family Home Tax" is less accurate than Property Tax. You can have a family home that isn't liable for it.

I think the pro side don't like the term "Family Home Tax" because it looks bad.

I and many others consider it a "Family Home Tax" because the vast majority of the people who will end up paying it will pay it on their family home.

Either way Property or Family Home it is just not right.

• Advertisement

You obviously have strong proof of this, to say it on an internet forum.
    I do. The current leading members of the party include convicted terrorists.
    bgrizzley wrote: »
    welcome to Boards Ronan! can you tell the lads what happens if you cant afford to pay that $9980?
    Or if you just refuse to pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Or if you just refuse to pay it.

true that
    I do. The current leading members of the party include convicted terrorists.

im not a fan of SF but you must admit that the Kenny throwing it at them every chance he gets just to deflect from answering simple questions makes him look very stupid. its childish to say the least.

anyway isnt FGs own history steeped in the blood of their brothers and fellow Irishmen?

bgrizzley wrote: »
    anyway isnt FGs own history steeped in the blood of their brothers and fellow Irishmen?
    It is. I wouldn't hold someone responsible for the actions of someone they never even met, just because they joined the same political party a few generations later.
    SF are a different kettle of fish, as it has members in leadership roles who have personally been convicted of terrorist offences.

It doesn't matter if you own it or not, the fact remains that it can still be used as a family home.

Until the landlord has a better offer, or may want it for his/her own family/relatives, or the renter may just not be in a position to pay for it anymore, due to unforseen financial constraints, oh, I dunno, maybe like the renter losing his/her job. I've seen it happen, unfortunately. So, yes, it really does matter, unless its a LA dwelling, then I would have no hesitation in referring to it as a family home, but with a private rented accommodation, there's alway a certain unsurety, in my experience.

It is. I wouldn't hold someone responsible for the actions of someone they never even met, just because they joined the same political party a few generations later.
    SF are a different kettle of fish, as it has members in leadership roles who have personally been convicted of terrorist offences.

I'm looking at labour here......

Enda has no problem doing business with them......

Even pays a wage to them.

I'm looking at labour here......

Enda has no problem doing business with them......

Even pays a wage to them.
    Its more and more cryptic you're getting Ghandee :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

But surely in looking at Labour's historical connection with the old Sinn Féin in its various splits, and looking at Fine Gael's history of judicial murder in the early years of the State, and Fianna Fáil's floggings and executions in the slightly later early years, we're doing exactly what Enda Kenny does when he takes out a bloodied flag and waves it any time someone asks an inconvenient question?

It's a method of argument I've always thought of as quintessentially male: if you find yourself on weak ground, quickly switch the argument to one where your ground is stronger.

You can rent property.

You are correct there. In fact, according to the governments own decisions on exemptions, you may rent a hundred properties, and you're exempt payment, but on the other hand, own one family home, and you're liable.

I do.

Can you show it to me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Can you show it to me?

Evidence of Sinn Fein and terrorism links is just a google away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement