Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Sorry, this is from me:

Double his EXPENSES, and that's more than I paid myself this year. And to meet my VAT committments, I paid myself no salary for December. I'm not looking for plaudits...though one would be nice from the damn govt.... just highlighting the REAL world out there, FAR BEYOND the world these so-called humans live in. Don't get me wrong, it's not just this lot, BA has certainly a LOT to answer for, but the fact he's gallivanting around the world doing his thing is a total indictment on where this country is today!!!

I dono't know how to comment between sentences of another postee:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    No idea.

Ah now, C'mon, you must have an inkling DV.... Look into your soul there...

Do you think they tried to defraud the state, or pull the wool over the publics eyes on their expenses?
    What did the report find?

Sigh...

Thats not what I asked you, but anyways here we go.
    Of those audited, Fine Gael TD Derek Keating returned the most after it was found that €7,571 worth of his claims were ineligible.

The report showed that he had claimed €13,420 correctly.

The report said over 7.5k of the money he claimed was 'ineligible'

But what did he think?
    Mr Keating said he published all expenditure on his website. He said he accepted the findings, but his interpretation of what was allowed under the scheme was different to the auditor.
    :rolleyes:

Then;
    Next was fellow Fine Gael TD Ray Butler, who was unable to provide receipts or documentation to show that €4,923.69 was claimed correctly.

Do you believe Ray when he played the 'newbie' card?
    as a new TD he didn't completely understand the guidelines, but that he held his hands up and repaid the money

Hands in the cookie jar more like.

But the best of the lot was this little Gem:
    Mr O'Reilly said he accepted the auditors' report and had returned the money.

He made donations to local charities and GAA organisations which he viewed as promotional and was unaware that these did not fall within the scope of the expenses scheme.

No he didnt....

We, the taxpayers did. He took all the glory at the time though:cool:

Quote:
    as a new TD he didn't completely understand the guidelines, but that he held his hands up and repaid the money

And there is the ONLY difference between FG/Lab & FF Ghandee. FF were masters at the BS class....FG/Lab are mere 'junior infants':P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The trouble with the expenses, increments, perks worth thousands like free parking, and enormous salary is mainly that being so very well-paid puts you in a different world.

If you're on €200,000, and so are your friends and colleagues, you have no conception of how it is to live on €50,000, or on €22,000, or on €9,700.

You think you do, but you don't.

(I have friends from a well-off background who have told me that they were very poor when they were first married. Their parents had given them a house!)

And the trouble with having a society with a steeply divided Gini coefficient - with people who are very rich, and others who are very poor; with a big difference in incomes - is that it dehumanises us, and it divides us from one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    Do you think they tried to defraud the state, or pull the wool over the publics eyes on their expenses?
    I think some of it was honest mistakes made in moving from an unvouched to a vouched system and some was out and out fraud. Anyone who thinks that charity donations are reclaimable is a complete incompetent or a liar.

I do note that the Mazars report found problems with half of all claims, but you chose to only focus on members of Government parties.

Were any of the SF or ULA reps defrauding the state?

• Advertisement

Don't know about defrauding the State, but there's only one TD who isn't taking the expenses.

It's interesting that in all the debate on expenses, perks and increments, it's always a question of how they should be moderated, never about why they should exist at all.

I don't know when these crazy salaries and expenses came about - in the time of Charles Haughey? Of Bertie Ahern? Certainly, while TDs and ministers were adequately paid up to the 1970s, say, they had nothing like the Medici rates lavished on them now.

I think some of it was honest mistakes made in moving from an unvouched to a vouched system and some was out and out fraud. Anyone who thinks that charity donations are reclaimable is a complete incompetent or a liar.

I do note that the Mazars report found problems with half of all claims, but you chose to only focus on members of Government parties.

I don't know about SF or ULA reps, the indo didn't name any on their report, but I'd be up in arms if they have been 'dipping in the funds' too.

I don't know about SF or ULA reps, the indo didn't name any on their report, but I'd be up in arms if they have been 'dipping in the funds' too.

Ghandee, just goes to prove my assertion that he/she does NOT read links:rolleyes:

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Ghandee, just goes to prove my assertion that he/she does NOT read links:rolleyes:
    It looks like it was Ghandee that didn't read the links. The Indo article was referring to an auditors report, but did either of you actually read the auditors report or are you both relying on your favorite news sources to filter out the stories that you find inconvenient?

It looks like it was Ghandee that didn't read the links. The Indo article was referring to an auditors report, but did either of you actually read the auditors report or are you both relying on your favorite news sources to filter out the stories that you find inconvenient?

Lol...

Looks like the only 'inconvenience' was the fact it was FG/LAB ministers named.

Have you a link to the full report?

• Advertisement

Lol...

Looks like the only 'inconvenience' was the fact it was FG/LAB ministers named.

Don't hold Your breath Ghandee, if the link doesn't suit his/her cause, You know what he/she will do.....press the shun key!

Nope. afaik it hasn't been published yet - the indo are reporting based on leaks it would seem.

Don't hold Your breath Ghandee, if the link doesn't suit his/her cause, You know what he/she will do.....press the shun key!
    I thought you pressed the permanent shun key on me a good while back, but since then it seems you still have some kind of irresistible urge to troll me at every opportunity.
    What's that all about?

I dono't know how to comment between sentences of another postee:o

You type [ QUOTE ] (with the brackets closed in beside the word, and the word typed in capitals) at the beginning of any sentence by the other poster that you want to comment on, and then at the end of that poster's sentence, you type [ /QUOTE ] (again with the brackets closed in on the word, and with a slash added before the word as shown. Give it a try!

I think I'll be leaving this thread at this stage; the comments have got too personal and spiteful for my taste, and my ignore list is getting too heavy to carry. (I virtually always add anyone commenting spitefully on another poster to my ignore list; it makes for a more pleasant reading of Boards.)

You type [ QUOTE ] (with the brackets closed in beside the word, and the word typed in capitals) at the beginning of any sentence by the other poster that you want to comment on, and then at the end of that poster's sentence, you type [ /QUOTE ] (again with the brackets closed in on the word, and with a slash added before the word as shown. Give it a try!

I think I'll be leaving this thread at this stage; the comments have got too personal and spiteful for my taste, and my ignore list is getting too heavy to carry. (I virtually always add anyone commenting spitefully on another poster to my ignore list; it makes for a more pleasant reading of Boards.)

If You get to read this, Thanks QM, and Merry Xmas to You!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The trouble with the expenses, increments, perks worth thousands like free parking, and enormous salary is mainly that being so very well-paid puts you in a different world.

If you're on €200,000, and so are your friends and colleagues, you have no conception of how it is to live on €50,000, or on €22,000, or on €9,700.

You think you do, but you don't.

(I have friends from a well-off background who have told me that they were very poor when they were first married. Their parents had given them a house!)

And the trouble with having a society with a steeply divided Gini coefficient - with people who are very rich, and others who are very poor; with a big difference in incomes - is that it dehumanises us, and it divides us from one another.

Where's the evidence that the gini index is very high , it's middle by European society as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Average household means that households of all sizes are included, from a single person with a huge income to an extended family of grandparents, children and grandchildren who have lost their work.

I know what the average is. I wasn't arguing the point about averages. I was saying that 22k disposable isn't bad in most cases.

Where's the evidence that the gini index is very high , it's middle by European society as far as I can see.

We're no Sweeden, but we're in there with Germany, France and the Netherlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

We're no Sweeden, but we're in there with Germany, France and the Netherlands.

http://newsletter.independent.ie/5et3dwpcvhg15vff5gpbxv?email=true&i=2&a=6&p=30726255&t=18792874

Take a drive over and tell these people that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The Revenue are simply taking money that people are robbing from the state by refusing to pay their lawful taxes.
    Its the slippery slope when you allow thieves simply get away with it.

What about the government robbing money from private pension funds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

No idea.
    What did the report find?

Maybe you should read some of these reports on government expenditure and unvouched expenses. It might open your eyes.

darkhorse wrote: »

Sure why bother DH? The buffoons in DE would rather give €4m to Zambia ( €700m in overseas aid in total ), not follow up on the usage of said money, and all while Zambia is awash with money.

God Almighty, where ARE our government's priorities?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Sure why bother DH? The buffoons in DE would rather give €4m to Zambia ( €700m in overseas aid in total ), not follow up on the usage of said money, and all while Zambia is awash with money.

God Almighty, where ARE our government's priorities?????

Their priorities are in the real Europe, They dont give a f*ck about Ireland. We are doomed as long as this government are in power. I hate to say that, but I really cant see any light at the end of the tunnel, as I think they are going to depress the economy of our country into oblivion.

darkhorse wrote: »
    I'd say they're having a tough enough time, what with some property owners refusing to put an extra €100 in the pot and all.
    Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What about the government robbing money from private pension funds?
    Its awful, but unfortunately not illegal.
    Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Maybe you should read some of these reports on government expenditure and unvouched expenses. It might open your eyes.
    Yeah. I've read some of them. They're terrible.

Ok, admit it guys, which one of you lot from the 'yes camp' is actually Noonan?

I'm sure I've read a few posts on this thread saying this...
    Finance Minister Michael Noonan has said the vast majority of Irish people are able to pay the property tax because they can afford up to €1,000 a year for premium television packages such as 'Sky Sports'.

Mr Noonan was speaking in the Seanad last Thursday afternoon as part of the debate on the property tax, where he dismissed opposition claims that a majority of people won't have an ability to pay the new tax, which will be on average €316 per house.

The minister was responding to Fianna Fail senator Darragh O'Brien who was requesting he add more exemptions to the tax, which will come into effect from July 1.
    :pac:

Oh, this bits interesting too......
    "Many people will pay less in property tax than they will pay for a television licence. The charges are quite modest and they will be spread across 1.9 million household units and that allows us to keep the rates down.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/noonan-if-they-can-pay-for-sky-tv-they-can-pay-my-property-tax-3334471.html

Do Hogan and Noonan not speak? I thought Hogan said 1.6 million:confused:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/noonan-if-they-can-pay-for-sky-tv-they-can-pay-my-property-tax-3334471.html

If this doesn't slap of dictatorship, then I don't kow about this crazy person from the SW...Michael Noonan. He really must think he is a despot to make a statement like this. Who pays a grand for tv to Murdoch? I certainly do NOT.

ALSO, what do we read into the 1 grand comment also? That an indication of where the Property Tax is heading?

FFS, these bastards will not be happy until we are all in that queue mentioned in the Indo on Friday.

Ok, admit it guys, which one of you lot from the 'yes camp' is actually Noonan?

Wow, this my Xmas wish Ghandee? To guess who IS Noonan?

I better not answer as I might open myself to accusations of being an antagonist.

Off to Tesco on the Monread now, will mull over Your conundrum LOL

Wow, this my Xmas wish Ghandee? To guess who IS Noonan?

I better not answer as I might open myself to accusations of being an antagonist.

Off to Tesco on the Monread now
    , will mull over Your conundrum LOL

Call in to the butcher block in the complex....

The meatloaf is out of this world!

I'm packing the car, south Derry for the night.

Call in to the butcher block in the complex....

The meatloaf is out of this world!

I'm packing the car, south Derry for the night.

Had the meatloaf 2 weeks ago...agree!!

Safe driving, and enjoy the Xmas with Your new little Princess!!!

• Advertisement

Just back from Tesco's. Irrelevant I know, except I saw the headline of the Times paper. I honestly never knew the circumstances of why that junior minister died. Am SHOCKED!

Kenny must be a worried man, as the repercussions from this tragic event will reverberate around DE. And all this while Noonan is blathering threats upon threats on the matter of payment for the HHC/PT.

SICK COUNTRY, run by certain ministers who have not ONE OUNCE of compassion within their body!!!!!!

Shame on you, Shame shame shame!!!

And may Mr. McEntee Rest In Peace, and sincere condolences to His Wife and Family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement