Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Just back from Tesco's. Irrelevant I know, except I saw the headline of the Times paper. I honestly never knew the circumstances of why that junior minister died. Am SHOCKED!

Kenny must be a worried man, as the repercussions from this tragic event will reverberate around DE. And all this while Noonan is blathering threats upon threats on the matter of payment for the HHC/PT.

SICK COUNTRY!!!
    And to think that some people wanted to picket his private family home a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

dvpower wrote: »
    I'd say they're having a tough enough time, what with some property owners refusing to put an extra €100 in the pot and all.

So, are you now trying to tell us that if everyone paid the €100, that the government would divert some of the money collected to the soup kitchens, cause thats what it sounds like, from the less than clever comment above.
    The other thing I would like to say to you all here is, that I was talking to one of those people in the queue that you see in the photo, who is a home owner.
    During the course of our conversation, I brought up the subject of the property tax, and he laughed and said to me that this may just be the break that a lot of people are looking for. I asked him what did he mean, and he said, well, hopefully, he and others in his position will be jailed for not paying, and they will get their three meals a day on the inside. A sad indictment on society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

darkhorse wrote: »
    So, are you now trying to tell us that if everyone paid the €100, that the government would divert some of the money collected to the soup kitchens, cause thats what it sounds like, from the less than clever comment above.
    The other thing I would like to say to you all here is, that I was talking to one of those people in the queue that you see in the photo, who is a home owner.
    During the course of our conversation, I brought up the subject of the property tax, and he laughed and said to me that this may just be the break that a lot of people are looking for. I asked him what did he mean, and he said, well, hopefully, he and others in his position will be jailed for not paying, and they will get their three meals a day on the inside. A sad indictment on society.

Alas I think I might be in the same boat come next July. BUT, wasn't it the BFP who said NOBODY would be jailed?

Agree DH, while we send €700MILLION overseas in 'aid' this is going on in OUR country.

Shame on this excuse for a government!!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Just back from Tesco's. Irrelevant I know, except I saw the headline of the Times paper. I honestly never knew the circumstances of why that junior minister died. Am SHOCKED!

Kenny must be a worried man, as the repercussions from this tragic event will reverberate around DE. And all this while Noonan is blathering threats upon threats on the matter of payment for the HHC/PT.

SICK COUNTRY, run by certain ministers who have not ONE OUNCE of compassion within their body!!!!!!

Shame on you, Shame shame shame!!!

And may Mr. McEntee Rest In Peace, and sincere condolences to His Wife and Family.

Compassion. Shame. This rings very hollow from you who regularly rants in the most vile way about TD's. Do I not recall you describing them as self centred assholes? And that is on the mild side of the stuff you come up with. Not a sick country but some very sick people who resort to this sort of abuse.

I know what the average is. I wasn't arguing the point about averages. I was saying that 22k disposable isn't bad in most cases.

I just have to ask, can you point me in the direction of where I might get a position, that will leave me with in excess of €400 a week disposable income. I would be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You move in interesting circles. Not long back you said you met someone in a pub who was able to quote verbatim the writings of a TCD professor on the economy (or maybe you just copied something off the internet). And now you are relaying pearls of wisdom from the free food queue (or maybe you are just making that up).

Good grief.
    I doubt that their primary concern is the funding of soup kitchens. They want the economy fixed so they can start to provide for themselves again.
    The economy will never be fixed when there are large numbers of people who refuse to pay their lawful taxes.

You move in interesting circles. Not long back you said you met someone in a pub who was able to quote verbatim the writings of a TCD professor on the economy (or maybe you just copied something off the internet). And now you are relaying pearls of wisdom from the free food queue (or maybe you are just making that up).
    Next up.
    "Darkhorse: What Christine Lagarde whispered in my ear at the Ambassador's ball"

Compassion. Shame. This rings very hollow from you who regularly rants in the most vile way about TD's. Do I not recall you describing them as self centred assholes? And that is on the mild side of the stuff you come up with. Not a sick country but some very sick people who resort to this sort of abuse.
    Well said.

They're a shower of Nazis one day. The next day its deepest condolences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Aah, sure bless your memory dx. Seems You have an unqualified recorder within Your brain.

I might have called the goons in govt what you claim above, but how dare you come along and say it's hollow coming from me!!! You have no right to make that heartless rubbish statement.

Anyway, yet another on the ignore list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

During a more light hearted exchange as part of the debate, in responding to comments from Senator David Norris, Mr Noonan joked: "The senator should pay for Sky Arts, it has two great channels."

Most seem to have missed this part of the article.
    It suggests to me that Noonan may have the subscription channel himself but begrudges it to others.
    His bullying knows no bounds.

Maybe he could do something about :http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/medical-giant-abbott-has-profits-of-11bn-but-pays-nothing-in-tax-3333977.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And to think that some people wanted to picket his private family home a while ago.

Mr McEntee's death is regrettable but if you examine the reasons as to why he was abused on social media it seems that people were --

1. Upset and angry with the broken promises of FG/Labour.
    2. Many lost their jobs as a result of those broken promises.
    3. Many are a lot poorer because of extra charges, cuts and taxes introduced.
    4. Some have also lost family and friends to suicide caused by all of above.

Don't take the high moral ground as it is sometimes unsafe.
    There is every chance that Mr McEntee was unhappy with the broken Govt policies himself and may have been effected by them. He seems to have had a lot more decency than most of the members of his party after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Its always a sad thing to hear of some one taking their life, but be to be fair his comments over the respite cut's were fecking retarded and any flack he got over it for the most part would have been understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Mr McEntee's death is regrettable but if you examine the reasons as to why he was abused on social media it seems that people were --

There is every chance that Mr McEntee was unhappy with the broken Govt policies himself and may have been effected by them. He seems to have had a lot more decency than most of the members of his party after all.

Exactly Tayto.

For all we know he could have been pressured from within his own party to vote through policies he didn't necessarily agree with.

Its hardly appropriate to try and finger point at anyone from this forum, (certainly this thread) I for one was not familiar with the man, nor his policies, indeed I think this weekend has been the first time I've become aware of who he is.

His death is certainly regrettable, but I fear it is certainly not the last.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Exactly Tayto.

For all we know he could have been pressured from within his own party to vote through policies he didn't necessarily agree with.

Its hardly appropriate to try and finger point at anyone from this forum, (certainly this thread) I for one was not familiar with the man, nor his policies, indeed I think this weekend has been the first time I've become aware of who he is.

His death is certainly regrettable, but I fear it is certainly not the last.

A month or two ago I posted about the steep rise in deaths by suicide. Over 650 people in this calender year and others that could not be explained either way. Many as a result of the downturn and obviously Govt policies and a lot of family and friends grieving. There is usually more than one reason for suicide.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Ok, admit it guys, which one of you lot from the 'yes camp' is actually Noonan?

I'm sure I've read a few posts on this thread saying this...

:pac:

Oh, this bits interesting too......

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/noonan-if-they-can-pay-for-sky-tv-they-can-pay-my-property-tax-3334471.html

Do Hogan and Noonan not speak? I thought Hogan said 1.6 million:confused:

Wow, the figures of satellite TV subscription has risen dramatically in this country. Assuming, of course, that my calculations are correct, 82% of the population, which was the figure that Noonan gave, equates to 3,690,000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Noonan is a dunce. Some of what he comes out with is down right arrogant and some downright offensive and embarrassing. His joke at Greeces expense is a fine example of why this guy shouldn't be even in the Dail. Certainly no where near Alan Dukes league.

That does not even warrant an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The point is he was vilified in the media by people who accuse ministers of having no compassion. He's the guy who said something about 700 a week being enough for a big hotel and was subject to abuse on liveline, on threads like this one etc. It is clearly disengenuous for someone who posts all kinds of attacks on ministers, to then feel the fake sorrow now.
    That does not even warrant an answer.

Why were you in that queue asking questions of people? You a journalist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Wow, the figures of satellite TV subscription has risen dramatically in this country. Assuming, of course, that my calculations are correct, 82% of the population, which was the figure that Noonan gave, equates to 3,690,000 people.

It would be 82 percent of households. These days to get signal you either.

1) Have a paid subscription, or
    2) Have saorview, which is just RTE + TV.

I have the latter. I bet the vast majority of people with difficulties on the household charge have the former.

• Advertisement

The point is he was vilified in the media by people who accuse ministers of having no compassion. He's the guy who said something about 700 a week being enough for a big hotel and was subject to abuse on liveline, on threads like this one etc. It is clearly disengenuous for someone who posts all kinds of attacks on ministers, to then feel the fake sorrow now.

When you are a politician you are in the firing line for abuse if you implement what people see as bad policies and which have an adverse effect on their lives and conditions. He would get exactly the same same amount of compassion from me as any other suicide would get tbh.
    I also have a gut feeling that there is more to this than politics.

Also in my time I have seen nurses, teachers and garda getting a heap of abuse on these very forums. I often wonder if any of them took their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

It would be 82 percent of households. These days to get signal you either.

1) Have a paid subscription, or
    2) Have saorview, which is just RTE + TV.

I have the latter. I bet the vast majority of people with difficulties on the household charge have the former.

Big swinging Mickey.

If I have sky TV, I'm paying money each month, for which I get a service in return.
    If I decide I can no longer afford sky, or don't find it value for money, guess what I can do ?

What can I do if I feel the property tax money is being diverted to bondholders/public servants salaries/pensions/or misused in any other way than which its supposedly 'ring fenced' for? Or if I'm unhappy with the service?

The bit in bold I'd particularly like answered. Take your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Will we see front page headlines for those "common" people that take their lives due to the ever increasing household burden on them and the threat of the revenue men?
    Or will people just have to "get on with it”, as Shane McEntee said?
    MINISTER OF STATE Shane McEntee has been called upon to clarify his “callous and crass” comments in relation to cuts to the respite care grant.
    Today’s Sunday Times reports that the Fine Gael Minister commented on the controversial cut – saying that “you could stay in a top hotel for €700 a week” and that “people just have to get on with it”.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/senator-mcentee-called-on-to-clarify-callous-comments-on-respite-care-grant-708894-Dec2012/

It's none of yer bleedin business.

It would be 82 percent of households.

You are right, he did say households, and not population as I stated. My mistake, sorry.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

When you are a politician you are in the firing line for abuse if you implement what people see as bad policies and which have an adverse effect on their lives and conditions. He would get exactly the same same amount of compassion from me as any other suicide would get tbh.
    I also have a gut feeling that there is more to this than politics.

Also in my time I have seen nurses, teachers and garda getting a heap of abuse on these very forums. I often wonder if any of them took their lives.

I am a frontline public servant. Two of my colleagues died of suicide this year and I have no doubt that the abuse that public srvants have received in the media was a factor in their deaths. I know it affects me greatly.

Anyone who calls a person a Nazi one day and offers faint condolences the next is already lying in a moral gutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I am a frontline public servant. Two of my colleagues died of suicide this year and I have no doubt that the abuse that public srvants have received in the media was a factor in their deaths. I know it affects me greatly.

Sorry to hear about your situation unfortunately it's not uncommon or restricted to Public Sector workers. I've seen people who work in the hotel and retail sectors here get some awful abuse. There are just people out there who treat their fellow human beings as commodities and with little respect. I think I readd that there had been a substantial number of taxi drivers who have taken their own lives in recent years.

It is very sad to read of anyone take their own lives, hopefully this latest tragedy will finally get this country to do something about bullying and mental health.

And now you are relaying pearls of wisdom from the free food queue (or maybe you are just making that up).

Yeah, and just maybe, I had all my relatives and friends that live there, queue outside the soup kitchen, just to create the illusion that there are people that badly off, and maybe there is no such thing as financial hardship at all in the country.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Anyone who calls a person a Nazi one day and offers faint condolences the next is already lying in a moral gutter.

There seems to be a lack of morals around these days, especially in politics.
    The last election proved that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement