Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Why are councils still chasing people for the money when it will be handled by revenue anyway? Waste of time wouldnt you think - if one was going to pay, they would have done so by now. I smell something...

You got that septic tank inspected, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Household Charge unpaid? embrace your forthcoming Revenue audit.
    ..those who have not yet paid their €100 household charge also face a Revenue audit when the City and County Council hand over their details. http://www.galwaynews.ie/29569-revenues-new-year-blitz-tax-cheats

snubbleste wrote: »
    ..those who have not yet paid their €100 household charge also face a Revenue audit when the City and County Council hand over their details. http://www.galwaynews.ie/29569-revenues-new-year-blitz-tax-cheats

PAYE workers in the country will be quaking in their little boots, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

donalg1 wrote: »
    And what Hijpo also has to remember is that some of those advocating non payment of the HHC and evading taxes arent liable for said taxes themselves, making it very easy for them to advise others to break the law. ;)

You have to register your address to there lucrative database, you still have not grasped that this is the priority and not the €100, jesus christ will you ever cop yourself on man. even people that are exempt from the charge have to do this. how do you conclude that people exempt from a law are telling people to break it when no one is exempt from registering there details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

the disabled and the carers will be quaking in their footwear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Hijpo wrote: »
    You have to register your address to there lucrative database, you still have not grasped that this is the priority and not the €100, jesus christ will you ever cop yourself on man. even people that are exempt from the charge have to do this. how do you conclude that people exempt from a law are telling people to break it when no one is exempt from registering there details.

Well its quite simple really "man" those that arent liable to pay it have nothing to lose by not registering, whereas those that are liable to pay it have the late payment penalties to pay.

So when someone who isnt liable to pay is telling others not to pay it, I will roll my eyes and laugh at how easy it is for them to tell others to open themselves up for extra charges / late payment fees when they dont need to worry about this themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Well its quite simple really "man" those that arent liable to pay it have nothing to lose by not registering, whereas those that are liable to pay it have the late payment penalties to pay.

So when someone who isnt liable to pay is telling others not to pay it, I will roll my eyes and laugh at how easy it is for them to tell others to open themselves up for extra charges / late payment fees when they dont need to worry about this themselves.

they still have to register there details, which they have not done and are advising others not to!!!

lol you will roll your eyes at how easy it is for them to tell others to open themselves up for extra charges and fees, however a group that can afford the charge and property tax associated with supplying them with your details is advising people who cannot afford it, to open themselfs up to a charge which will be collected wether they can afford to pay or not.

not only are they advising people to do it, but they are regurgitating all the threats that the coniving crooks in the dail are spouting.

Donal, i think i speak for everyone when i say, your some dope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Grass between the tracks

Those on social welfare have little to fear.

they still have to register there details, which they have not done and are advising others not to!!!

No they are advising others not to pay it. Which is fine for them as they are not liable to pay it themselves, which really means they are in no position at all to be advising others not to do this.

lol you will roll your eyes at how easy it is for them to tell others to open themselves up for extra charges and fees, however a group that can afford the charge and property tax associated with supplying them with your details is advising people who cannot afford it, to open themselfs up to a charge which will be collected wether they can afford to pay or not.

not only are they advising people to do it, but they are regurgitating all the threats that the coniving crooks in the dail are spouting.

Donal, i think i speak for everyone when i say, your some dope.

Good lad with the personal abuse says it all really about the quality of your posts well done Hijpo.

• Advertisement

No they are advising others not to pay it. Which is fine for them as they are not liable to pay it themselves, which really means they are in no position at all to be advising others not to do this.

Some people ;)

Have to register for the waiver, without the waiver, they are liable.

That applied to the hhc, I don't know about the property tax though.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Some people ;)

Have to register for the waiver, without the waiver, they are liable.

That applied to the hhc, I don't know about the property tax though.

Yes and some people should not be advising others not to pay a tax that they themselves arent liable to pay. ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77189015&postcount=2912

Yes and some people should not be advising others not to pay a tax that they themselves arent liable to pay. ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77189015&postcount=2912

Donal, are you taking in what I'm posting?

Any private property home owner in the land must register for a waiver.

Without the waiver, the homeowner is liable for the HHC.
    Waivers If you are entitled to Mortgage Interest Supplement on the liability date (1 January each year) you can claim a waiver of the Household Charge. People living in certain unfinished housing estates can also claim a waiver for the years 2012 and 2013. Details of qualifying estates are published on the Household Charge website. They are also listed in the Local Government (Household Charge) Regulations 2012 (SI 1/2012). If your estate is not listed, you will not get the waiver. You must still register your property in order to claim either waiver – see ‘How to apply’ below.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/household_charge.html

Donal, are you taking in what I'm posting?

Any private property home owner in the land must register for a waiver.

Without the waiver, the homeowner is liable for the HHC.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/household_charge.html

Yes Ghandee I am aware that even those exempt from payment need to register to claim their waiver.

Are you taking in what I say when I say that you are in no position to advise others not to pay a tax that you yourself are not liable to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cut out the personal insults please.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yes Ghandee I am aware that even those exempt from payment need to register to claim their waiver.

Are you taking in what I say when I say that you are in no position to advise others not to pay a tax that you yourself are not liable to pay?
    You must still register your property in order to claim either waiver
    Jesus wept.

Can you give me a yes or no answer please.

Without the waiver being issued to me, due to my not registering for it. As it stands, am I liable for the charge, or am i not?

Jesus wept.

Can you give me a yes or no answer please.

Without the waiver being issued to me, due to my not registering for it. As it stands, am I liable for the charge, or am i not?

Ghandee you are not liable for the charge, regardless of whether or not you register for a waiver, if you register you are not liable if you dont register you are not liable, its extremely simple.

You are however liable to register.

Ghandee you are not liable for the charge, regardless of whether or not you register for a waiver, if you register you are not liable if you dont register you are not liable, its extremely simple.

You are however liable to register

Liable to register for a waiver for what?

Face palm.

I give up.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

There is a fair jump between telling someone that they have to pay for a service they receive (water to their tap) and castrating someone because they turned 30. Where do you come up with this!! Comedy Gold there, rofl.

Who has been paying for this service/these services for the last 35 years?
    And what Hijpo also has to remember is that some of those advocating non payment of the HHC and evading taxes arent liable for said taxes themselves, making it very easy for them to advise others to break the law. ;)
    All householders were obliged to register, wether they were liable to pay or not. By not doing so, they were equally breaking the law, and just as liable to prosecution. This was all about establishing a data base for the full property charge. Did you not get that? Michael Noonan has announced that the new charge will be spread across 1.9 million households. This also shows what a crock, government propaganda figures of compliance are.

Others who are not directly affected now, will be in the future.
    Did nobody think to thank this post?
    Not as of now, but you could see that for yourself.

Liable to register for a waiver for what?

Face palm.

I give up.:cool:

A waiver from the HHC Ghandee, how do you not know this, given that you are advising others not to register and not to pay.

Best you do give up so.

• Advertisement

Donal, you're fighting a losing battle here, the hole your digging is getting bigger.

Bring your argument to the statute book.
    6.— (1) The owner of a residential property who, on a liability date, is liable to pay a household charge to a relevant local authority, or is entitled to a waiver from payment of a household charge under subsection (4) of section 4 , in respect of the year in which that liability date falls, shall, before the expiration of such period as may be prescribed, make and provide to that local authority a statement in writing containing such information relating to the residential property concerned as may be prescribed for the purpose of enabling the Minister to prepare and maintain a database of residential properties in the State containing details of accommodation, facilities and services available in respect of such properties.

(2) A statement under this section shall be in such form as may be prescribed.

(3) A person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a class C fine.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/act/pub/0036/sec0006.html

Slick50 wrote: »
    Who has been paying for this service/these services for the last 35 years?

The taxpayers however due to the decline in tax being paid the LGF and other sources of funding for LA's has been reduced so charging for water is a way to increase funding for LA's and to promote autonomy within them, making them less reliant on central government funding and encouraging the polluter pays principle.

All householders were obliged to register, wether they were liable to pay or not. By not doing so, they were equally breaking the law, and just as liable to prosecution. This was all about establishing a data base for the full property charge. Did you not get that? Michael Noonan has announced that the new charge will be spread across 1.9 million households. This also shows what a crock, government propaganda figures of compliance are.

Others who are not directly affected now, will be in the future.

Not as of now, but you could see that for yourself.

I believe I said as much myself very recently.

I simply have stated that there are some here who are not in the best position to be advising others to not pay a charge they dont have to pay themselves. I for one believe that is up to the individual to decide what they do or dont do with their money that way they only have themselves to blame if there are consequences for their decision, advising others to break the law is extremely reckless and particularly so when the person telling others to break the law by not paying their taxes is not even liable to pay the same taxes.

Donal, you're fighting a losing battle here, the hole your digging is getting bigger.

Bring your argument to the statute book.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/act/pub/0036/sec0006.html

Whats your point Ghandee, I have said everyone is liable to register, even those that are registering to claim a waiver must register anyway.

You are not liable to pay the HHC as you have said yourself, so when you advise others not to pay it you are being reckless with your advice as the consequences they would have to face will not apply to you. What part of this are you not understanding?

Ah here, what is the point? :rolleyes:

What is a waiver Donal? Not a trick question, what is a waiver?

Ah here, what is the point? :rolleyes:

What is a waiver Donal? Not a trick question, what is a waiver?

A waiver is an exemption from paying the HHC last year. Its basically a piece of paper or whatever that says you dont have to pay it this year. How do you not know this?

My point is Ghandee, you are in no position to advise others what to do with their money. If you believe you are some sort of oracle that should be advising others what laws to break please by all means explain to me why you believe this.

A waiver is an exemption from paying the HHC last year. Its basically a piece of paper or whatever that says you dont have to pay it this year. How do you not know this?

Good man. Now we're finally getting somewhere.

Now, without that waiver, that would mean what exactly?

C'mon now, nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

The taxpayers

Then your insinuation that people who object to this tax, and refuse to comlpy, are "free loaders" who want something for nothing is wrong.
    I simply have stated that there are some here who are not in the best position to be advising others to not pay a charge they dont have to pay themselves.

The laws of our land are all of our business, wether we are directly affected by them at a particular time or not, and are entitled to express our points of view on them.

Then your insinuation that people who object to this tax, and refuse to comlpy, are "free loaders" who want something for nothing is wrong.

No not wrong as such as I meant that we are not paying enough to cover the cost of water services and are therefore being asked to pay more, for instance we pay say 80% for the service currently we are going to be asked to pay 100% from now on. Obviously these figures arent exact but you see my point.

The laws of our land are all of our business, wether we are directly affected by them at a particular time or not, and are entitled to express our points of view on them.

Yes anyone can express their opinion on any law as that is what a democracy is about, I have never said otherwise, I simply stated that it is reckless of some to advise others what laws to break.

C'mon now, nearly there.

Nearly where Ghandee?

• Advertisement

Nearly where Ghandee?

Sigh.....

Ok, I'll edit the post.

Quite a simple question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement