Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

It seems Labour party members/workers are receiving deserved heat on the ground over the family home tax.
    Party
    workers on the ground are also being approached by home owners who are concerned
    that if they cannot afford the proposed Property Tax now or in the future the
    government will take part ownership of the house requiring it to be sold when
    they pass on so that back taxes can be paid. This will see the tradition of
    passing the family home on to children under threat for many families as the
    property tax has no “ability-to-pay” waiver

Ordinary working people rightly see the property tax as a threat to property ownership and legally owning a privately owned home under property taxes.
    There
    is no doubt that Labour’s performance in government has ruled out any prospect
    of the party winning a Dail seat in the region and many are predicting that
    there will be no Labour Party member elected to the local councils either unless
    there is change.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=23680&PHPSESSID=c5bbb656899cddf1baa17dde9a852379

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Am Chile wrote: »
    It seems Labour party members/workers are receiving deserved heat on the ground over the family home tax.

Ordinary working people rightly see the property tax as a threat to property ownership and legally owning a privately owned home under property taxes.

Does this also apply to inheritance tax and stamp duty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

They keep lining their own pockets while trying to raid our's.

FORMER politicians who win back their Dail seats will be able to re-enter a gold-plated pension scheme. The move will be worth thousands of euro a year extra for these politicians when they retire.

And if they end up as ministers they will qualify for pensions worth more than €100,000 a year. Public Expenditure Minister Brendan Howlin has signed a new order that will see all new public servants and new politicians getting much-reduced pensions -- but he made an exception for returning politicians.

The move to give returning TDs an opt-out from the new rules, and allow them keep the existing generous pension arrangements, has been criticised as "politicians looking after politicians".

Where will all this new cash come from?

I thought we were broke?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tds-who-regain-seat-will-enjoy-golden-pension-3342272.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

Forgive my ignorance here, but is the "household charge", the property tax proposal ? I didn't read the whole thread, it's awful long.

If it is I will LMAO. These people are unreal. As someone said to me the other day,, "next they will tax the air we breath". Oh wait, don't we have carbon tax?

Just don't pay the household tax that's all. ffs I don't even pay attention to this type of thing at all. If the tax man comes to your door, let him. You don't have to answer the door.. Don't answer it. If they call the police. Lay in the living room and cry with laughter. People use your brains.

I'll pay it, if all the elite will :D

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance here, but is the "household charge", the property tax proposal ? I didn't read the whole thread, it's awful long.

If it is I will LMAO. These people are unreal. As someone said to me the other day,, "next they will tax the air we breath". Oh wait, don't we have carbon tax?

Just don't pay the household tax that's all. ffs I don't even pay attention to this type of thing at all. If the tax man comes to your door, let him. You don't have to answer the door.. Don't answer it. If they call the police. Lay in the living room and cry with laughter. People use your brains.

I'll pay it, if all the elite will :D

Are there any other laws you break?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    Nevertheless, I think I will take my chances and NOT PAY !!....this shower of cnuts will not be in power for very much longer :)

And who will replace this government FF again well that would be brilliant wouldnt it get the party that screwed us all back in power so they can lay the foundations for another disaster.

And if not FF, someone else then? Bearing in mind that by the time the next election comes round the LPT will be long established providing a steady stream of income for the Government.

Now if a new government walks in on day 1 and sees that they have an annual income stream of 500million plus do you actually think they will get rid of this?

And if they are dumb enough to get rid of it you do realise that they will have to replace it with some other tax dont you?

The LPT is about fixing the fcuked up tax system created by FF, its about creating a stable tax base for the country to ensure we dont have a big a collapse as before, and any politician or party that says they will scrap it would want to outline exactly how they are going to bridge the gap that scrapping it will create before I even begin to listen to them.

And if not FF, someone else then? Bearing in mind that by the time the next election comes round the LPT will be long established providing a steady stream of income for the Government.

Long established, but if its only 50% established, that means not successfully established;)

Ghandee wrote: »
    Long established, but if its only 50% established, that means not successfully established;)

I am sure with Revenue involved it will be far higher than 50%, they may have a 50% compliance rate to begin with however, this will increase over time as will the fines and late payment charges that Revenue will be taking in. ;)

donalg1 wrote: »
    I am sure with Revenue involved it will be far higher than 50%, they may have a 50% compliance rate to begin with however, this will increase over time as will the fines and late payment charges that Revenue will be taking in. ;)

I'm sure most people who've stood their ground so far couldn't give two shiny ones about revenue or anyone else for that matter

Like I've said plenty of times already, it only takes a phone call for my income to be taxed in the north (where I'm employed) all above board, all quite legal.

I'm paying my tax in the south because I live here, I feel its my duty, but when they start taking the piss....... I'm sure H.M revenue will gladly take my hard earned cash. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Are there any other laws you break?

with the myriad of red tape our "masters" tie us up in its impossible not to break laws.

have you ever broken any law DX?

• Advertisement

I reckon the only thing that would make the yes side gloat any more than the Revenue, would be if Enda sent in the Army to take out a few Anti HHC'ers...
    :D

I'm sure most people who've stood their ground so far couldn't give two shiny ones about revenue or anyone else for that matter

Like I've said plenty of times already, it only takes a phone call for my income to be taxed in the north (where I'm employed) all above board, all quite legal.

I'm paying my tax in the south because I live here, I feel its my duty, but when they start taking the piss....... I'm sure H.M revenue will gladly take my hard earned cash. ;)

Brilliant, you feel its your duty to pay your taxes in the South!! Do you also feel its your duty to advise others not to pay theirs? :D

Yesterday you asked what you could do if you are unhappy with the level of property tax set by the Council, just wondering what they do up North if they are unhappy with their levels, or are they all blissfully happy with the tax system up there given that it is so amazing? (allegedly)?

Brilliant, you feel its your duty to pay your taxes in the South!! Do you also feel its your duty to advise others not to pay theirs? :D

I do.

My moral duty.

Remember what Enda said?

I do.

My moral duty.

Remember what Enda said?

Remember it was 19 years ago now, and remember how utterly stupid you would have to be to base a tax system today on the economic situation 19 years ago.

Still laughing at the last one Ghandee, though fair play.

Remember it was 19 years ago now, and remember how utterly stupid you would have to be to base a tax system today on the economic situation 19 years ago.

Nineteen years ago was pre-boom right?

Now we're post-boom (some people call it a financial meltdown)

Maybe nineteen years from now they'll legalize murder?

Nineteen years ago was pre-boom right?

Now we're post-boom (some people call it a financial meltdown)

Maybe nineteen years from now they'll legalize murder?

I wouldnt think that will happen now Ghandee in all fairness its a bit out there.

Since its your moral duty to pay your taxes in the south I assume you will be paying the property tax when it is introduced and when you are liable to pay it, seeing as it is your moral duty and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In fairness donal Revenue are making a pretty poor job of enforcing the powers they have already. Just look at the Black Economy where people who are already on the dole are making a fortune, painting and decorating, servicing cars, playing music in pubs, giving grinds, plumbing, carpentry, cleaning gutters, gardening, photography, diesel laundering etc etc etc.

A very poor job indeed.

In fairness donal Revenue are making a pretty poor job of enforcing the powers they have already. Just look at the Black Economy where people who are already on the dole are making a fortune, painting and decorating, servicing cars, playing music in pubs, giving grinds, plumbing, carpentry, cleaning gutters, gardening, photography, diesel laundering etc etc etc.

A very poor job indeed.

I would have thought that those types of things should be getting dealt with by the Social Welfares Fraud Departments.

A very poor job indeed.

they can lay all that auld guff aside now they have to chase me for E100 :pac:

I wouldnt think that will happen now Ghandee in all fairness its a bit out there.

Since its your moral duty to pay your taxes in the south I assume you will be paying the property tax when it is introduced and when you are liable to pay it, seeing as it is your moral duty and all.

As big Phil would say.... “My personal circumstances don’t allow that at the moment."

I'll get back to you in nineteen years time about that sure.

See if the passage of time will change my moral outlook on it.

http://www.thurles.info/2012/03/25/phil-hogan-continues-to-huff-puff/

• Advertisement

I would have thought that those types of things should be getting dealt with by the Social Welfares Fraud Departments.

Same kind of people in both donal.

As big Phil would say.... “My personal circumstances don’t allow that at the moment."

I'll get back to you in nineteen years time about that sure.

See if the passage of time will change my moral outlook on it.

http://www.thurles.info/2012/03/25/phil-hogan-continues-to-huff-puff/

Hang on now so what you are saying Ghandee is that at the minute its your moral duty to pay your taxes in the south, yet in a few months time your morals could change?

Hmmmm thats a funny one what was it you were saying about Enda again?

Pretty much a blatant double standard you got going there Ghandee, a tad hypocritical too I would say.

Have a read at what Leo said.......

Wasn't nineteen years ago either. ;)
    July 19th, 2008 Fine Gael Enterprise Spokesman Leo Varadkar TD has called on Taoiseach Brian Cowen to rule out the introduction of a property tax, following the controversial proposal from the National Economic and Social Council (NESC).

“The National Economic and Social Council (NESC) is a Government body under the aegis of Brian Cowen’s Department. The Council consists of the great and the good from the Social Partnership system along with the Taoiseach’s right hand men and women. It is funded by the Department of the Taoiseach and is chaired by Dermot McCarthy, the Secretary General of the Department of the Taoiseach. The Deputy Chairperson, Mary Doyle is also a senior official in the Taoiseach’s Department. Other members include trade union bosses David Begg, Peter McLoone and Jack O’Connor, IBEC’s Turlough O’Sullivan, Fr Sean Healy, Sean Gorman (Secretary General of the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment) and the Taoiseach’s special advisor, Peter Clinch.

“Fine Gael in Government abolished the Residential Property Tax and is not in favour of re-introducing it. A property tax would further depress the housing market and would plunge Ireland even deeper into recession.

Maybe he was wrong too?

So, if he was wrong, Enda was wrong, Reilly has been wrong now so many times I've lost count, and shatter (as a top end lawyer) got the childrens referendum wrong, perhaps they shouldn't be running the country?

Same kind of people in both donal.

True but different departments Tayto, so Revenue arent making a mess of chasing down Social Welfare Fraudsters, Social Welfare are. Based on the list of tax defaulters published regularly I would say Revenue are doing ok at tracking down the tax dodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

No but since the bubble burst and increases in people on the live register numbers employed in Social Welfare offices have fallen so they have clearly become more efficient which is a good thing. I would also think wait times and the like have increased for people going on to the dole or looking for amendments to their allowances.

if they cant deal with the black economy and social welfare fraud, how are they becoming more efficient?

Hijpo wrote: »
    if they cant deal with the black economy and social welfare fraud, how are they becoming more efficient?

Hijpo I will save you the bother of having to type out posts to me and let you know I will be ignoring all you have to say as after your posts yesterday laced with personal abuse I cant be bothered with you as personal abuse has no place anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

True but different departments Tayto, so Revenue arent making a mess of chasing down Social Welfare Fraudsters, Social Welfare are. Based on the list of tax defaulters published regularly I would say Revenue are doing ok at tracking down the tax dodgers.

unless you tell an inquirey that you won massive amounts on the horses, got dig outs from friends, you then give the a deposit, which then entitles you to a massive pension, then earn ungodly amounts overseas as a spieler, so you are never again asked to contribute, yes donal.

A very poor job indeed.

You could help out by notifying the authorities. I think it can be done anonymously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Hijpo I will save you the bother of having to type out posts to me and let you know I will be ignoring all you have to say as after your posts yesterday laced with personal abuse I cant be bothered with you as personal abuse has no place anywhere.

For the people who can see it, please pass on to donal how terribly upset i am, boo hoo hoo sniff :rolleyes:
    You could help out by notifying the authorities. I think it can be done anonymously.

And while your at it, i have two twelve hour shifts this weekend you could do my job for me aswell, by the way ill be the one getting paid not you.

Anyway going by the farce that is the HHC and there information gathering cock ups that they still cant get right, alot of good a phone call will do. Youd nearly have to drive in, pick them up, drive them to the house your talking about, point out the individuals then hold there hand while they ask a few questions. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tip of the iceberg donal.
    I read their lists and they could be a lot longer with a bit of effort. The Black Economy could amount to many billions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement