Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Certain quarters tried to fool people into believing that the average property tax would be €1000.[/QUOTE]

And can you say for a fact that it will not be €1000 or more by the end of the term of this government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

donalg1 wrote: »
    Yes and I can see it now, FF's next election manifesto "We will scrap the Property Tax" and on day 1 in power, "em we arent going to scrap it as it provides us with a steady stream of income that we just cant do without at the minute, we will scrap it at some stage but now is not the right time".

And everyone will be on here saying they didnt stick to their pre election promises, the cheek of the fcukers!!

And I will say "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...."

I kinda hope they do, i'm sick of FG i want to get back to get back to giving out about FF!!

(i still wont pay though:p)

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea, a price freeze until 2016. Maybe it should go into bargain alerts. while its below the €1000 mark.

Its a lie freeze we need from these people.

Where you have these models like GB (water charged for separately from Council Tax) or NI (water included now in Domestic Rates but will probably have to be charged for separately soon) you have to realise that approx 70% of the spending is funded from central government grants. So if people are paying typically £1200 per year this is only enough income to their Local Authorities to cover about 30% of the cost of services provided.

The central government grants have to be funded by income tax VAT etc.

In other words, should'nt we live and work just to pay taxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Ghandee wrote: »
    I see similarities with here and there..

LPT and HHC money collected to go into central govt pot. (then divided out as they see fit)

Also, last time I checked my salary had income tax deducted from it, and I know I read somewhere that the rate of vat here was higher than that of the UK.

I'd like to add that I got a letter from AES last Friday, informing me that my refuse collection fee would rise by 10% from Feb, felt a bit cheated by this as I recently left oxygen to go to them, anyways called them to give out, and low and behold, they're 'only passing a Levy imposed on them by the govt on to their customers', nice move by govt all the same, privatise it, then tax the shiite out of it :mad:

What they charging You for 2013, Ghandee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    What they charging You for 2013, Ghandee?

€28 per month.....

Wouldn't mind, only I had a rep call to the house on Oct of last year (just when oxygen contract expired) and assured me that the 'special introductory price' of 25€.per month wouldn't go up until my contract expired.....

Technically it didn't, its a govt imposed Levy they tell me :rolleyes:

So I'm paying tax on top of the vat I'm paying already to get my refuse collected by a company set up to take over the job the govt quit providing, that was previously paid for via my income tax.....

Seems legit :cool:

darkhorse wrote: »
    Certain quarters tried to fool people into believing that the average property tax would be €1000.[/QUOTE]

And can you say for a fact that it will not be €1000 or more by the end of the term of this government.

Just in anticipation of your comeback, you are going to say something like, "The government said it would be a static tax for three years", at which point my reply to you would be, is this the same government that said in their election manifesto, "That an annual, recurring residential property tax on the family home is unfair."

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Heard this song on the radio the other night and it sums up how many feel about the country at the moment and how it has been run and sold out --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_1elxq4LT0

Hi,

I would to know what are the posters here opinion of this, in particular the Yes side.

Your TD intends to confiscate the proposed Household Tax-Rent from your pay-packet. They will use the Revenue Commissioners to do it!

The Penal Laws are back ... big time!

In 1695 ...... an Irishman
    "was forbidden to own a horse of greater value than £5.
    was forbidden to own land.
    was forbidden to lease land.
    was forbidden to accept a mortgage on land in security for a loan.
    was forbidden to vote."

You know you live in a dangerous country if...
    "The rights of the Government come before the rights of the individual

Just in anticipation of your comeback, you are going to say something like, "The government said it would be a static tax for three years", at which point my reply to you would be, is this the same government that said in their election manifesto, "That an annual, recurring residential property tax on the family home is unfair."

I really did'nt expect a reply, dx, but just one more thing before I join mrs. darkhorse in the 4 poster.
    O.K., on a program called the week in politics four months ago, while talking about the welfare spend, joan burton said that there was approx €0.5 billion being paid out to 94,000 landlords in respect of rent supplement.

Let's say that 94,000 landlords each houses a family of 2 adults and 3 kids.
    So 94000*5=470,000 people, which still leaves at least 4 million of the remainder of the population.
    By my reckoning, the remainder of the population, who are not on rent supplement are saving the government a few billion a year by not claiming this allowance, and thats just the savings on that side. So why the hell do they want to screw every last cent out of us, and in the process bring our economy to its knees, as people just wont have the money to spend in the real economy, thereby closure of businesses on a large scale.
    There is just one more thing that I forgot to metion, and that is the possible Criminalization of hundreds of thousands of people, who may otherwise, never have in any kind of trouble with the law. Thats my opinion anyway. Goodnight and have a good nights sleep.
    dh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

TAXMAN COMES TO THE DOOR.

- Opens it.-

NO!

Closes the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hi,

I would to know what are the posters here opinion of this, in particular the Yes side.

Your TD intends to confiscate the proposed Household Tax-Rent from your pay-packet. They will use the Revenue Commissioners to do it!

was forbidden to vote."

What a load of crap. Nobody is forbidding anybody anything. Hardly penal laws. If anything is penal then the CPA is penal for taxpayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Hi,

was forbidden to vote."

Although it sounds threatening to people-there is still hundreds of thousands of people not registered-where will the revenue get information and data on who owns what to be able to deduct the correct people ? going through esb bills/records and finding someones name on a esb bill won,t be enough in itself to prove property ownership.

If
    the Revenue are relying on the Household Charge database to collect the Property
    Tax – they will have a big problem

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-some-more-details-emerging.html

Add €370 to your tax outgoings for next year, registrars!

FAMILIES can expect to be hit with water bills averaging €370 a year when charging is introduced next year.

The Government plans to raise €500m by charging for domestic water, which will hit 1.35 million homeowners with hefty bills.

Ouch.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/families-to-face-bills-of-370-a-year-for-water-3348029.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Time to sink a well.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Time to sink a well.

All's well that ends well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Already planned ahead - purchased and installed a rain barrell out the back garden, to offset the proposed water charges.

Already planned ahead - purchased and installed a rain barrell out the back garden, to offset the proposed water charges.

Don't be a doing a Del and Rodney style, 'bottled at source' scam now:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Id say the amount of water butts and connections being sold this year will be phenomenal I for one will certainly be getting one, they pop up in aldi and lidl from time to time.

Id say the amount of water butts and connections being sold this year will be phenomenal I for one will certainly be getting one, they pop up in aldi and lidl from time to time.

Absolutely, much better to plan ahead, budget, and be prepared, instead of whinging and moaning online about bank taxes and bondholders ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Will this be for human consumption?

If so how are you going to treat/filter it etc.?

Will it be plumbed to join your existing water piping?

Only asking because, while it sounds like a good idea, how practical is it for most people?

Any idea as to how much savings you might make?

jprboy wrote: »

Only asking because, while it sounds like a good idea, how practical is it for most people?

No it won't be for human consumption. It's not plumbed to my internal water piping, at the moment it's just used for moping the floor and cleaning windows. I might consider installing a treated/filtered system later, but that's a medium to long term goal. Probably practical enough for the purposes of washing and cleaning, but not for flushing toilets or human consumption.

No idea how much savings it would generate, as the government haven't yet decided or announced what pricing structure will be in place for water charges (i.e. whether it will be flat rate, pay per usage, or some combination of both).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Absolutely, much better to plan ahead, budget, and be prepared, instead of whinging and moaning online about bank taxes and bondholders ;-)

Oh so now we should plan ahead, budget and be prepared. How can you plan ahead, budget and prepare for a property tax that even the people collecting it don't know much about?
    The governments garauntees and promises to the people of ireland are about as solid as quick sand, let's be honest.
    There is nothing stopping then from upping the rates nxt year, absolutely nothing.
    They have conflicting opinions themselves on how many houses are liable.
    The rates will change when councils take over the charge, nobody knows what they will increase to.

Lol plan ahead, marvelous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Sounds all well and good people buying water butts to offset water bills-someone else said in another thread.

Because
    Im seriously considering have a large 6000 litre underground rainwater
    harvesting system with a 3 stage filtration and UV sterilization system
    installed into my back garden....with the pending water meter on it way outside
    my house.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80174641&postcount=1

Sounds good in theory-but what for sake of argument to stop people cutting down on water bills if they outlaw water butts and water harvesting in the future, they could say for environmental reasons we will have to ban rainwater harvesting systems/water butts in order to prevent Irish Water losing revenue ? or what if they make it all out Illegal to collect rainwater at all ? some states in America have done so-they could possibly pursue a similar move here.

Every
    time it rains here, Kris Holstrom knowingly breaks the law.
    Holstrom's
    violation is the fancifully painted 55-gallon buckets underneath the gutters of
    her farmhouse on a mesa 15 miles from the resort town of Telluride. The barrels
    catch rain and snowmelt, which Holstrom uses to irrigate the small vegetable
    garden she and her husband maintain.

But
    according to the state of Colorado, the rain that falls on Holstrom's property
    is not hers to keep. It should be allowed to fall to the ground and flow
    unimpeded into surrounding creeks and streams, the law states, to become the
    property of farmers, ranchers, developers and water agencies that have bought
    the rights to those waterways.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/18/nation/na-contested-rainwater18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

jprboy wrote: »

I am thinking of setting up a pump at a tank out the back, make up a couple of level sensors, pump to a small attic tank with another level sensor in it, and supply toilets with the water by swapping the cistern supply pipes over.

That for a start anyway. I will have a link from the main attic tank to top up the small one in the unlikely event Ireland has a drought.

I'm just thinking of not paying for water twice, as far as I'm concerned income tax already pays for it.

Let them cut whatever they expect it to generate from the new cpa.

Legally they can't cut your water off.

Bruthal wrote: »
    I am thinking of setting up a pump at a tank out the back, make up a couple of level sensors, pump to a small attic tank with another level sensor in it, and supply toilets with the water by swapping the cistern supply pipes over.

That for a start anyway. I will have a link from the main attic tank to top up the small one in the unlikely event Ireland has a drought.

I was thinking of a similiar system myself use rain water to flush the toilets and use it for pretty much everything other than drinking, washing the clothes and dishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

this is Ireland. if you cut down on your water consumption they will just increase your bill.

you are a cash cow, nothing more

Ghandee wrote: »
    I'm just thinking of not paying for water twice, as far as I'm concerned income tax already pays for it.

Let them cut whatever they expect it to generate from the new cpa.

Legally they can't cut your water off.

Do you have a link for this? And what is to stop them from amending the current legislation when introducing the water charges. As they will need to draw up some new act to govern the charges I would imagine it would be straight forward enough to put a line in it dealing with non payment of the charges and consequences of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

bgrizzley wrote: »
    this is Ireland. if you cut down on your water consumption they will just increase your bill.

you are a cash cow, nothing more

This is lost on the yes side:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement