Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yes, he says those less well off than him in Ireland, only need to look to Africa to see people worse than themselves. Give every cent you have to tax, because other people are starving,

Can you provide a link for this please.

while he himself is nice and comfortable compared to the people he is saying this to.

Im half expecting the E = MC^2 to come out next.

And you know how comfortable or not I am how?

Ghandee wrote: »
    Yes.

Link

Are you pro or anti property tax?

I am anti property tax, who would be pro tax? Now fine if someone was not liable for a tax but stood to benefit from the income received from this tax they would probably be pro tax. However given that I will have to pay the property tax why would I be pro property tax? Was that a rhetorical question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

donalg1 wrote: »
    Link

My eyes deceiving me then are they?
    hink the idea of food vouchers is a step too far now in fairness, even a food card no matter how close to an actual laser or credit card it is lookwise is a bit too far. Pay their rent directly to their landlord and then give them enough money for food for the week a nominal amount even, dependant on spouses and dependant children.

Basically if on Social Welfare for more than 12 months it should be cut to an amount that pays the rent and buys food and nothing else

Terrible notion you have of those less of than you are.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74657429&postcount=84

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Comfortable enough to have golf club membership and still advocate paying extra taxes.

• Advertisement

My eyes deceiving me then are they?

Terrible notion you have of those less of than you are.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74657429&postcount=84

Ah yes so my notion comes attached with conditions and applies to a certain category of people, see you failed to mention that Ghandee, the way you claimed it was that I apply this notion to everyone, how very unlike you to make stuff up (last part was sarcasm btw)

And you said those less well off than me, now tell me Ghandee how is that you know that someone on social welfare for 12 months is less well off than me?

And there was me thinking Ghandee was all for ending the gravy train that his taxes pay for.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Comfortable enough to have golf club membership and still advocate paying extra taxes.

What golf club am I a member of? Hows about someone being comfortable enough to pay green fees of €70 in Mount Juliet while not paying their taxes?

Ah yes so my notion comes attached with conditions and applies to a certain category of people, see you failed to mention that Ghandee, the way you claimed it was that I apply this notion to everyone, how very unlike you to make stuff up (last part was sarcasm btw)

And you said those less well off than me, now tell me Ghandee how is that you know that someone on social welfare for 12 months is less well off than me?

Wind the neck in now Donal.

Bang to rights.

Btw, with only enough for food and shelter, where does the cash come from to pay the property tax?

Sw recipients aren't exempt.

What golf club am I a member of? Hows about someone being comfortable enough to pay green fees of €70 in Mount Juliet while not paying their taxes?

I figured your only forced to play alongside others when you get a time sheet, you are forced to abide by a time sheet if your entering competitions.
    in order to play any competitions you need to have a handicap and to have a handicap you need to be a member somewhere.

Never mind, i retract my golf club membership statement.

Wind the neck in now Donal.

Bang to rights.

Btw, with only enough for food and shelter, where does the cash come from yo pay three lpt?

Sw recipients aren't exempt.

Wind my neck in Ghandee really, Hardly think so. I believe you were caught making stuff up yet again. How many times is that now.

Bang to rights? Yes you are.

They can get it somewhere better budgeting maybe. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You already just said you know people who claim to be broke, yet have sky.

If having sky shows they are not broke, it is fairly safe to say that you believe people with sky can afford more tax, and only people who have the sub cancelled, are genuinely in difficulty.

Some of your relativity examples suggest living in a coal shed would be comfortable.

But if you are going to dictate to others about the relativity of struggling, based on the plight of Africans, you should be at least in as bad a position as the ones you dictate this to, and I think any rational person can conclude you are not in that position.

So you are telling other people they dont know what real hardship is, while being better off than them yourself most likely.

Just in case you come back asking how do I know you are not among the worst off amongst people liable for this charge, I will ask,

Are you in mortgage arrears?
    Have you lost your job?
    Do you have just €12 a week/€50 a month disposable?

Maybe the answer is yes to all 3 for you. And if it is, then I will indeed believe you are 100% law abiding, never having broke a speed limit, crossed a white line etc.

And.... Im sure the people you want this below, to happen to, are better off than some Africans

Basically if on Social Welfare for more than 12 months it should be cut to an amount that pays the rent and buys food and nothing else.

Will you give the same advice to them?

I figured your only forced to play alongside others when you get a time sheet, you are forced to abide by a time sheet if your entering competitions.
    in order to play any competitions you need to have a handicap and to have a handicap you need to be a member somewhere.

Never mind, i retract my golf club membership statement.

Too right you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No the point is that we dont really have it that bad here at all in comparison to others, we moan here about not being able to afford sky movies or the newest iPhone, whereas some people live in a shack without water or electricity and with an open sewer runnig past their house.

Basically the point is we could be an awful lot worse off than we are and I for one am thankful for having it as good as we do.

I mean the irony is never lost on me when someone logs on to the internet to complain about how bad we have it here.

Have you been brainwashed donal or has the Govt propaganda got to you?
    You need to get out and about and actually talk to the people. Then you will see the real picture.
    Are you saying that the Credit Unions are lying and that very few are suffering as a result of Govt policies?
    You need to wise-up.
    There are businesses closing down every day.
    There are people who have cancelled health insurance, car insurance, creches etc because they cannot afford to pay these and pay their food and heating bills.
    There are people who have gone onto interest only mortgages to try and keep afloat. It will not last.
    Forget about what the "party men" are telling you and go out and find out the real story for yourself.

Too right you do.

lmao

The never mind piece was sarcasm, for someone who likes to add it to his posts your not very good at spotting it.

Wind my neck in Ghandee really, Hardly think so. I believe you were caught making stuff up yet again. How many times is that now.

Bang to rights? Yes you are.

They can get it somewhere better budgeting maybe. ;)

What's this now?

Did you post or did you not post that someone, on the social for more than twelve months should have their rent paid (directly to a landlord btw) and receive enough for food only?

Its all in the link you asked me to provide :confused:

Would you like a shovel now?

You already just said you know people who claim to be broke, yet have sky.

If having sky shows they are not broke, it is fairly safe to say that you believe people with sky can afford more tax, and only people who have the sub cancelled, are genuinely in difficulty.

Yes people with Sky can afford more tax of course they can afford it they have Sky! :rolleyes:

Are you actually saying someone that can afford Sky and similiar luxuries are genuinely in difficulty? If you are then I refer you to my post regarding the new poverty.

Some of your relativity examples suggest living in a coal shed would be comfortable.

But if you are going to dictate to others about the relativity of struggling, based on the plight of Africans, you should be at least in as bad a position as the ones you dictate this to, and I think any rational person can conclude you are not in that position.

So you are telling other people they dont know what real hardship is, while being better off than them yourself most likely.

Just in case you come back asking how do I know you are not among the worst off amongst people liable for this charge, I will ask,

Are you in mortgage arrears?
    Have you lost your job?
    Do you have just €12 a week/€50 a month disposable?

Maybe the answer is yes to all 3 for you. And if it is, then I will indeed believe you are 100% law abiding, never having broke a speed limit, crossed a white line etc.

Any rational person can see that those in third world countries are far worse off than we are here. When people here moan its a tad silly compared to the plight of others, there is a whole phenomen known as first world problems, you should look it up.

And to answer your questions, No, Yes (but got another one), and Yes

Have you been brainwashed donal or has the Govt propaganda got to you?
    You need to get out and about and actually talk to the people. Then you will see the real picture.
    Are you saying that the Credit Unions are lying and that very few are suffering as a result of Govt policies?
    You need to wise-up.
    There are businesses closing down every day.
    There are people who have cancelled health insurance, car insurance, creches etc because they cannot afford to pay these and pay their food and heating bills.
    There are people who have gone onto inrerest olny mortgages to try and keep afloat. It will not last.
    Forget about what the "party men" are telling you and go out and find out the real story for yourself.

poor donal, its very similar to stockholm syndrome :D

What's this now?

Did you post or did you not post that someone, on the social for more than twelve months should have their rent paid (directly to a landlord btw) and receive enough for food only?

So, he is better off than many others in Ireland, while dictating to them that they have it easy compared to the third world people.

What's this now?

You are like the gift that keeps on giving Ghandee.

You said

"Donal supports the notion that those less of than he is should only exist to have an income that provides shelter and food."

I asked you for a link to prove this, and you provided a link where I said

"Basically if on Social Welfare for more than 12 months it should be cut to an amount that pays the rent and buys food and nothing else. "

Two completely different things there Ghandee, nice try but again found to be making stuff up.

Maybe you should hold on to that shovel yourself Ghandee.

lmao

The never mind piece was sarcasm, for someone who likes to add it to his posts your not very good at spotting it.

Ah so you were making it up then, another on the anti side making up lies about other posters.

What golf club am I a member of Hijpo, you claimed it now lets see some actual proof? (or will we just assume you are talking sh1t)

• Advertisement

Yes people with Sky can afford more tax of course they can afford it they have Sky! :rolleyes:
    Give every cent you have to tax, because other people are starving
    Dont need a link now, you have said it now again, after asking me for a link.
    Are you actually saying someone that can afford Sky and similiar luxuries are genuinely in difficulty? If you are then I refer you to my post regarding the new poverty.
    So, again, you do support the HHC, as breaking an unjust law would be nothing compared to starving.
    Any rational person can see that those in third world countries are far worse off than we are here. When people here moan its a tad silly compared to the plight of others, there is a whole phenomen known as first world problems, you should look it up.
    Yes, but you are dictating to others about third world problems, while not having to endure the problems of the people you are dictating to.
    And to answer your questions, No, Yes (but got another one), and Yes
    So you have only €10 a week left? So what will you sacrafice to pay the property tax? Saved it up already from your tenner no doubt?

You are like the gift that keeps on giving Ghandee.

You said

"Donal supports the notion that those less of than he is should only exist to have an income that provides shelter and food."

I asked you for a link to prove this, and you provided a link where I said

"Basically if on Social Welfare for more than 12 months it should be cut to an amount that pays the rent and buys food and nothing else. "

Two completely different things there Ghandee, nice try but again found to be making stuff up.

Lol, you've left quite a snooty footprint of posts behind you Donal.

Quite an array of posts over on the economy form which contradict a lot of what you portray yourself as over here.

Good reading altogether :D

So, he is better off than many others in Ireland, while dictating to them that they have it easy compared to the third world people.

Well dont they?

Do you think someone living here in Ireland in Mortgage Arrears is worse off than someone living in a third world country in a shanty town with no running water or electricity, and someone who spends there day clamouring around a landfill hoping to collect enough plastic to feed themselves.

Please tell me you dont think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well dont they?

Do you think someone living here in Ireland in Mortgage Arrears is worse off than someone living in a third world country in a shanty town with no running water or electricity, and someone who spends there day clamouring around a landfill hoping to collect enough plastic to feed themselves.

You might make a better analogy if you compare the poor here in Ireland to the rich in Ireland.

Well dont they?

You totally, completely miss the point. You are telling others to pay, and if they are in arrears, it matters not, because people in oither countries are worse off.,

And my problem with that donal, you are saying it to people, while not having their problem yourself.

Now stop and think about that, before stating the exact same thing again.

Dont need a link now, you have said it now again, after asking me for a link.

Ok read this slowly now

Where did I say people should give every cent they have to tax?
    So, again, you do support the HHC, as breaking an unjust law would be nothing compared to starving.

Again, I do not support the HHC.
    Yes, but you are dictating to others about third world problems, while not having to endure the problems of the people you are dictating to.

No I am telling others that moan about being poor to consider other people that are actually poor.

So you have only €10 a week left? So what will you sacrafice to pay the property tax? Saved it up already from your tenner no doubt?

I will have to decide which luxury to sacrifice in order to pay the property tax or I will have to budget better, I am sure I will manage though.

You totally, completely miss the point. You are telling others to pay, and if they are in arrears, it matters not, because people in oither countries are worse off.,

And my problem with that donal, you are saying it to people, while not having their problem yourself.

Now stop and think about that, before stating the exact same thing again.

Where am I telling others to pay?

You might make a better analogy if you compare the poor here in Ireland to the rich in Ireland.

Well that would be easier if we could identify the actual poor here in Ireland.

Lol, you've left quite a snooty footprint of posts behind you Donal.

Quite an array of posts over on the economy form which contradict a lot of what you portray yourself as over here.

Good reading altogether :D

Ah yes Ghandee terrific retort altogether completely ignoring the fact that you have once again been found to be making stuff up. Werent you warned by a mod about this very thing earlier in the week?

• Advertisement

Where am I telling others to pay?

Here possibly...
    No people should pay the charge and stop moaning about it, as we will never have it as bad as others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement