Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Surely we can keep the debate about the property tax and not about who can and cannot afford membership of a golf course. That's no ones business. When either side of the debate gets bogged down in stuff like this you lose credibility much like Noonan and his stupid sky subscription comments.

I know it off thread, but talking about Noonan, I read this a short time ago:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/noonan-fears-reputational-damage-over-double-irish-tax-avoidance-3356605.html

And I read this a few weeks ago:

Effective corporation tax rate may be only 6.5% - RTÉ News

They're making great progress, wha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Cathyht wrote: »
    There are some excellent posters here with very valid points against the Property Tax. Without going into great detail, it does have to be taken into consideration the many LOW taxes afforded to citizens of other countries who are paying a poll tax, or property tax. e.g. cigarette, petrol, alcohol, no tv licence. So like is not being compared with like when it is bandied about 'Other countries pay it'.

We are a very highly taxed nation. We have suffered austerity a long enough time to realise we need to boost the economy with employment and we need to have other forms of revenue, plus reductions in WASTE of Government, local council and Seanad spending. Companies can be encouraged here, the IT industry and Pharma are still doing well in Ireland. To hear of further taxation on a smaller workforce, even taxing people who aren't working for having their own home, it doesn't make sense. All the more so when the very people paid huge salaries and extras of taxpayers' money are the ones increasing the taxes. These are also the very ones who last October voted without opposition for an extra week off in the Dail. This is one workplace which we all agree is the least densely populated during their very short working terms.

If some of the posters on here wish for a medal for paying this tax bill and have such pride in not opposing it, they wouldn't appear to be applying to the correct forum for recognition. I'm sure the Taoiseach or Minister for Finance would be pleased to send you an award/medal/plaque/trophy - for a 'reasonable' fee. Or perhaps you could appear in the paper. This would better serve your need for attention and recognition for your wonderful and immediate acquiesence to this new tax.

However, it is not acceptable people come on here and disparagingly attack people who, for very valid reasons IN A DEMOCRACY have decided that this is a tax too far. I am surprised that one or two posters who are really just repeating that they paid it, are still here, page after page. They have been very insulting to some posters earnestly opposing this tax. I have reported 4 postings of one particular Pro Tax poster.

GREAT, fantastic, you paid it, you wish to accept this tax, it would appear you did not endure undue hardship paying it, you paid without the slightest protest. Wonderful for you. But many others have various reasons to oppose it. They perhaps CANNOT afford it, or find it unfair, or unconstitutional, or consider they have paid a huge amount of tax on their home already. Maybe it's as simple as thinking it will just be squandered along with all the other loans and taxes on highly paid, tax-scrounging Government representatives. Whatever the reasons, a lot of people wish to challenge it. If we win and Property tax is abolished, you may continue paying if you wish. If the tax is not abolished, you get to feel really, really proud you paid it and you were right and accepting immediately. You can feel smug, so seeing it's a win-win situation, why are you so rude attacking people who are giving their reasons to oppose it? You obviously have no pity for those who cannot afford it, and who will have the burden and headache of a charge placed on their homes.

I am putting more effort into other avenues than reading the Pro Property Tax postings. In fairness, they must be gaining in some way (either in their private life gaining attention, or through some avenue in their professional life) from enforcing time and again the reasons why they paid it and attacking anything written opposing paying it. This tax was abolished before, other laws have been challenged and changed, we can challenge it and there IS a chance, if enough people don't pay, if there is enough pressure from voters, that this tax will be scrapped. Now why would anybody not in Inland Revenue, or FG, or the Government, oppose that?

A fantastic post. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

There are some excellent posters here with very valid points against the Property Tax. Without going into great detail, it does have to be taken into consideration the many LOW taxes afforded to citizens of other countries who are paying a poll tax, or property tax. e.g. cigarette, petrol, alcohol, no tv licence. So like is not being compared with like when it is bandied about 'Other countries pay it'.

We are a very highly taxed nation. We have suffered austerity a long enough time to realise we need to boost the economy with employment and we need to have other forms of revenue, plus reductions in WASTE of Government, local council and Seanad spending. Companies can be encouraged here, the IT industry and Pharma are still doing well in Ireland. To hear of further taxation on a smaller workforce, even taxing people who aren't working for having their own home, it doesn't make sense. All the more so when the very people paid huge salaries and extras of taxpayers' money are the ones increasing the taxes. These are also the very ones who last October voted without opposition for an extra week off in the Dail. This is one workplace which we all agree is the least densely populated during their very short working terms.

If some of the posters on here wish for a medal for paying this tax bill and have such pride in not opposing it, they wouldn't appear to be applying to the correct forum for recognition. I'm sure the Taoiseach or Minister for Finance would be pleased to send you an award/medal/plaque/trophy - for a 'reasonable' fee. Or perhaps you could appear in the paper. This would better serve your need for attention and recognition for your wonderful and immediate acquiesence to this new tax.

However, it is not acceptable people come on here and disparagingly attack people who, for very valid reasons IN A DEMOCRACY have decided that this is a tax too far. I am surprised that one or two posters who are really just repeating that they paid it, are still here, page after page. They have been very insulting to some posters earnestly opposing this tax. I have reported 4 postings of one particular Pro Tax poster.

GREAT, fantastic, you paid it, you wish to accept this tax, it would appear you did not endure undue hardship paying it, you paid without the slightest protest. Wonderful for you. But many others have various reasons to oppose it. They perhaps CANNOT afford it, or find it unfair, or unconstitutional, or consider they have paid a huge amount of tax on their home already. Maybe it's as simple as thinking it will just be squandered along with all the other loans and taxes on highly paid, tax-scrounging Government representatives. Whatever the reasons, a lot of people wish to challenge it. If we win and Property tax is abolished, you may continue paying if you wish. If the tax is not abolished, you get to feel really, really proud you paid it and you were right and accepting immediately. You can feel smug, so seeing it's a win-win situation, why are you so rude attacking people who are giving their reasons to oppose it? You obviously have no pity for those who cannot afford it, and who will have the burden and headache of a charge placed on their homes.

I am putting more effort into other avenues than reading the Pro Property Tax postings. In fairness, they must be gaining in some way (either in their private life gaining attention, or through some avenue in their professional life) from enforcing time and again the reasons why they paid it and attacking anything written opposing paying it. This tax was abolished before, other laws have been challenged and changed, we can challenge it and there IS a chance, if enough people don't pay, if there is enough pressure from voters, that this tax will be scrapped. Now why would anybody not in Inland Revenue, or FG, or the Government, oppose that?
    great post CATHYHT, I wonder would any of the "no problem I'll bend over" pro guys care to reply....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

darkhorse wrote: »
    Warning. Entertainment is not allowed under this regime.

Agreed DH...and to think one of the 'yes' dictatorship took offence when I called this bunch of curs 'dictators' ( or words to that effect)!

This lot are right up there with the likes of stalin in wanting to RUN our lives. Well, fúck them is what I say!

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Just ignore

Agree Bullseye. I have dv on 'ignore' as I just couldn't take his/her insults anymore - best thing I ever did.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Bang on mate, a sensible reply to all the pro taxers, and a democratic solution to an undemoractic rape of the population to satisfy the needs of an unelected few,

The figure quoted of over 1.5 million who have 50 euros left after bills monthly probably includes many households who are temporarily on an 'interest only' arrangement with a lending institution for their mortgage. The interest only term, usually is granted for a year, sometimes due to extended hardship, it can be for 2 years. But unless a new loan is re-negotiated, in most cases the final payment date of the loan remains the same. So when they return to full repayments; capital + interest, they will actually be repaying a higher amount monthly than they would if they had not taken the interest only year(s).

Will people have any hope of paying the increased amount of the property tax when their interest only term expires and they are repaying the remainder of their mortgage in larger monthly debits to make up for the year(s) they went interest only? If people have only 50 euros left now, with so many on interest only, a significant amount of people who now have €50 left at the end of the month with scrimping, will have a deficit of at least 500 euro on average monthly. That is, unless they gain employment paying over 700 euro a week. Or become a TD or member of the Seanad. Local councilors do ok too, some of them got over 80k expenses per annum.

There are lots of temporary measures of paying, or leniency being afforded to struggling householders, some working full or part-time. some are being given bailouts by their families. But these were all short term measures to keep those families afloat. This has given the government an incorrect view of what is the bottom line.

We are past the very, very bottom line. A lot of people cannot afford to go back to full mortgage repayments, and lending institutions will not indefinitely grant them an extension of their interest only period. Those and more people need to pay back the money they borrowed from family to keep afloat. Not only can they not afford the Household charge, they couldn't afford their mortgage, or in many cases, heating last year. So what happens when these families can no longer remain on Interest Only, when family help runs out, when they have to pay a tax on their home as well - ever rising, and then water rates.

Each time we juggle money, borrow, beg and pay a new tax, it just makes those setting taxes believe we HAVE all this money. By 'coming up with the money' we are perpetuating the lie that it is possible to sustain this level of austerity. They don't see the reality, that, without juggling, refinancing, family help, most Irish families are running at a monthly deficit of a minimum of over 500 euro. We have just about managed short term, we cannot carry this burden long term, never mind an increased load.

I completely concur with this post HC. That highlighted paragraph is so true - it reflects my circumstances anyhow. I do NOT have the money for this PT, nor have I got money for the upcoming water tax/rates, which I might add, I actually agree with.

So, Hotel Portlaoise, here I come. Then what? My company is locked up, can't pay their taxes, or prsi ( of which I get absolutly NO benefit from), so the states coffers go titsup as instead of my company contributng to the States coffers, me being locked up becomes a drain on the states coffers????

Basil Fawlty couldn't make this up!

Rising time, nothing to lose now,

Have you been brainwashed donal or has the Govt propaganda got to you?
    You need to get out and about and actually talk to the people. Then you will see the real picture.
    Are you saying that the Credit Unions are lying and that very few are suffering as a result of Govt policies?
    You need to wise-up.
    There are businesses closing down every day.
    There are people who have cancelled health insurance, car insurance, creches etc because they cannot afford to pay these and pay their food and heating bills.
    There are people who have gone onto interest only mortgages to try and keep afloat. It will not last.
    Forget about what the "party men" are telling you and go out and find out the real story for yourself.

I'm one of these people DH. Scares the shít out of me, as I only bought during the boom - 2006 - am 56yo, and wonder just WTF do I do when am 68 ( year that I- according to the experts - will only qualify for a state 'pension'), while all these 'people' in power have so many extras on top of their gross salaries. I passed The Mansion House during the week, and saw a brand new Volvo reg 131 D 1 parked there, just as I did last year (12 D 1), year before 11 D 1 , get the message? The hypocrasy of it all is mind boggling!!

Now, pro brigade, see where the militancy ( which I NEVER EVER have aspired to up to now) is coming from?

donalg1 wrote: »
    No you didnt you provided a link that didnt back up your claim, which is the opposite to what you were told to do.

This:

"Donal supports the notion that those less of than he is should only exist to have an income that provides shelter and food."?

I haven't been online for a couple of days, so forgive me IF Donal answered this: Weren't You asked by Ghandee ( I think) that is You were on SW for over 12 months, what would You sacrifice with that €50? Pay the PT or buy food?

If You did answer, I apologise for my blindness - can't afford to have my eyes tested:-).

• Advertisement

So you don't believe the Credit Union reports?
    http://www.thejournal.ie/whats-left-over-1-million-adults-have-less-than-e50-after-bills-418778-Apr2012/

You haven't noticed the increase in Soup Kitchens (i work in one)?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irelands-new-poor-join-queue-for-food-parcels-2434282.html

You haven't spoke to teachers who are saying that kids are coming to school with poor lunches and often have no books?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0417/survey-finds-increase-in-children-reporting-hunger.html

You haven't seen the rise in mortgage arrears?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1213/breaking16.html

You haven't read about people who cannot afford to visit their doctor or buy medicine?
    http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=17621

Do you want me to go on or are you convinced that all the above are bluffing or exaggerating?
    Really donal you should get out and about and stop listening to propaganda.

THAT TL, is why I believe donal IS part of the propoganda machine. I am convinced He is either Kenny/Noonan/or Gilmore.

EXCELLENT post Cathyht. I too wonder how some of the 'pro brigade' get away with their constant harranguing and not get infracted while Gerry0777 got banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The Revenue have published a useful FAQ on the new LPT

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/lpt-faqs.pdf

(the information within probably won't be of interest to brave conscientious objectors / criminal evaders)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

dvpower wrote: »

(the information within probably won't be of interest to brave conscientious objectors / criminal evaders)

No good posting an online FAQ when people have cancled the service used to view the online FAQ. Silly pro taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Much better way to spend €4-600 right here.

http://www.abbeytravel.ie/

Decent deposit on a fortnight in the sun.

I've better things to be looking at on a Saturday than some bs propaganda spun out by those fùck-wits in the dail.

I'll be a long time in the ground before they get it from me.

Hijpo wrote: »
    No good posting an online FAQ when people have cancled the service used to view the online FAQ. Silly pro taxes.

For those of you who do have an internet connection (:confused:), Revenue have an online LPT calculator.
    http://www.revenue.ie/lpt_reckoner/index_en.html

They're a great bunch of lads :D

For anyone who doesn't have the internet, simply go to your local library and use the internet service there. Its free at the point of usage, funded by compliant taxpayers.

For those of you who do have an internet connection (:confused:), Revenue have an online LPT calculator.

For anyone who doesn't have the internet, simply go to your local library and use the internet service there. Its free at the point of usage, funded by compliant taxpayers.

Well seeing as it all comes from a central fund, that covers all of us.;)

One last thing though, those that have canceled their broadband to pay the tax, have given up their cars to pay the tax, live 12 mile from the nearest library (yet pay the same as the man living next door to one), how will they get this info?

Another well thought out plan lol, are you sure you're not in govt? You definitely come out with some hair brained ideas at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

People with no internet to read the online FAQ have amazingly not seen your online message of ways to view it either.

Ghandee wrote: »
    One last thing though, those that have canceled their broadband to pay the tax, have given up their cars to pay the tax, live 12 mile from the nearest library (yet pay the same as the man living next door to one), how will they get this info?
    If they've given up their broadband to pay the tax, they clearly have the information already.

I'm sure it'll be beyond the wit of some people to get the information they need - not much can be done about them tbh. They'll just get scooped up in the enforcement process.

Hijpo wrote: »
    People with no internet to read the online FAQ have amazingly not seen your online message of ways to view it either.

Nor have those who have him on their ignore lists LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yes we do live in a democracy much as you despise it. Individual citizens like you and me do not get to decide which taxes are a tax too far. Owning private property and earnestly opposing property tax still does not put you above the law. And like the other tax evaders here you won't be coming along to make good the deductions from Child Benefit or whatever which will surely follow for those that you persuade that it is a tax too far. And they won't be coming to your aid if you are caught first.

And yes it did not cause me any hardship to pay €100 last March which will see me through to next July.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Nor have those who have him on their ignore lists LOL
    Its amusing that for someone who is ignoring me, la dieux can't go more than a few pages without mentioning me.

Yes we do live in a democracy much as you despise it. Individual citizens like you and me do not get to decide which taxes are a tax too far. Owning private property and earnestly opposing property tax still does not put you above the law. And like the other tax evaders here

FG supporter, yet the irony is clearly lost on him.
    you won't be coming along to make good the deductions from Child Benefit or whatever which will surely follow for those that you persuade that it is a tax too far. And they won't be coming to your aid if you are caught first.

Whatever? Things like increments might be stopped, or salaries might be reduced in the PS. That's your real concern Paddy.

And yes it did not cause me any hardship to pay €100 last March which will see me through to next July.

Your personal circumstances are not reflective or relevant to the other 700,000+ people who are refusing to pay this tax.

Ghandee wrote: »
    FG supporter, yet the irony is clearly lost on him.

Whatever? Things like increments might be stopped, or salaries might be reduced in the PS. That's your real concern Paddy.

Your personal circumstances are not reflective or relevant to the other 700,000+ people who are refusing to pay this tax.

Here he/she goes again, rabbling on and on about us non-payers being branded as tax evaders!!! Is that not calling people names?

I have dx also on my ignore list, but reading his comments You extracted in post # 4825 Ghandee, who ARE You dx? Kenny? Gilmore? Noonan? The more You say, the more a mouthpiece for these bunch of bullies, masquerading as a 'government'(?) you become.

Here he/she goes again, rabbling on and on about us non-payers being branded as tax evaders!!! Is that not calling people names?

Also, it would seem dear oul givemore has met his cummuppance..AT LAST!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gilmore-backs-away-from-plan-to-oust-keaveney-as-labour-party-chairman-3357545.html#disqus_thread

Sooner this clown realises he cannot go on bullshítting and down throdding over his 'subjects', then perhaps we can get down to the 'real stuff' - running the country. He is driving the LP into oblivion imho.

Goes to the dictionary to look up Rabbling and Throdding. Nothing for Rabbling but an interesting if somewhat baffling definition for Throdding in the context of a discussion about property tax.

Throdding

The act of enthusiastically clubbing someone's erect penis with a rolled up magazine or newspaper. A sado-masochistc practice often resulting in paper-cuts to the genitals and teary eyed participants, it is thought to have originated near a small town in southern France called Lorgues when a housemaid accidently mistook a guests appendage for a giant gekko.

So what, they can publish, threaten, write it in the sky, but until I receive an invoice outlining exactly what so called services I am to avail off for my hard earned already taxed money, I will not be paying,

hju6 wrote: »
    So what, they can publish, threaten, write it in the sky, but until I receive an invoice outlining exactly what so called services I am to avail off for my hard earned already taxed money, I will not be paying,

And may I add HJU6, We know WHAT we are getting for the money we are being bullied/threatened with to pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

And like the other tax evaders here you won't be coming along to make good the deductions from Child Benefit or whatever which will surely follow for those that you persuade that it is a tax too far. And they won't be coming to your aid if you are caught first.

QUOTE]

As threatening as it sounds to people they will deduct from child benefit/they will deduct from other areas at source -there is still hundreds of thousands of people not registered-which they to have to find and secondly prove they actually own a property- going through esb bills/records and finding someones name on a esb bill won,t be enough in itself to prove property ownership-as an esb bill could be in a tenants name-anyone who registered made it very easy for Revenue to deduct from their wages/social welfare as people would of registered their prsi number with registering oneself as the owner of a property.

• Advertisement

Am Chile wrote: »
    And like the other tax evaders here you won't be coming along to make good the deductions from Child Benefit or whatever which will surely follow for those that you persuade that it is a tax too far. And they won't be coming to your aid if you are caught first.

QUOTE]

As threatening as it sounds to people they will deduct from child benefit/they will deduct from other areas at source -there is still hundreds of thousands of people not registered-which they to have to find and secondly prove they actually own a property- going through esb bills/records and finding someones name on a esb bill won,t be enough in itself to prove property ownership-as an esb bill could be in a tenants name-anyone who registered made it very easy for Revenue to deduct from their wages/social welfare as people would of registered their prsi number with registering oneself as the owner of a property.

Section 12 provides that the Revenue Commissioners are not
    required to establish ownership of a residential property for the
    purposes of administering the tax or enforcing the provisions of the
    Act.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement