Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Some possible good news for landlords on the property tax front, since they have been abandoned by the CAHWT. (We will not be defending landlords with portfolios of properties).

(http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/buytolet-investors-will-be-allowed-to-file-property-tax-as-expense-3357475.html

Also I see the United Left Alliance may be becoming a bit less united. Remember the time when Clare and Joe were the headline speakers at CAHWT functions up and down the country?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0121/1224329103851.html

So FG are no better than their predecessors after all?
    PROPERTY investors will be able to deduct the property tax from their rental income when filing a tax return.

The move could ease the burden on buy-to-let investors, many of whom are struggling to meet mortgage repayments.

Did they learn nothing from FF's example of what happens when speculators/investors get looked after by their 'friends in govt'?

Another reason for ordinary homeowners to vote accordingly at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

bgrizzley wrote: »
    fcuking hell, they sure know how to add insult to injury to us ordinary folk

I'd say Sinn Fein should be happy with this. Their government in the North does something similar for landlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

I'd say Sinn Fein should be happy with this. Their government in the North does something similar for landlords.

so basically they roped in a pile of homeowners by lumping them in with landlords and then they announce that the landlord basically can claim on the payment that they have already added on to their tenants!!!!

What a bunch of scumbags...

so basically they roped in a pile of homeowners by lumping them in with landlords and then they announce that the landlord basically can claim on the payment that they have already added on to their tenants!!!!

What a bunch of scumbags...

The way I read it is that the amount they pay in property tax can be taken into account when their rental income is being assessed for income tax. You probably know that this is the last year for NPPR as well.

The way I read it is that the amount they pay in property tax can be taken into account when their rental income is being assessed for income tax. You probably know that this is the last year for NPPR as well.

Yes but the next government may have to bring that back though when they scrap the property tax...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Some possible good news for landlords on the property tax front, since they have been abandoned by the CAHWT. (We will not be defending landlords with portfolios of properties).

(http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/buytolet-investors-will-be-allowed-to-file-property-tax-as-expense-3357475.html

Also I see the United Left Alliance may be becoming a bit less united. Remember the time when Clare and Joe were the headline speakers at CAHWT functions up and down the country?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0121/1224329103851.html

Department of Finance confirmed today that this is an incorrect interpretation by media sources. The payment will not be tax deductible for landlords anytime soon.

Department of Finance confirmed today that this is an incorrect interpretation by media sources. The payment will not be tax deductible for landlords anytime soon.

feck, i was just drawing up the rental agreement for the wife.

Welcome back there Donal, we missed you... ;)

feck, i was just drawing up the rental agreement for the wife.

Welcome back there Donal, we missed you... ;)

Did I miss much?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its only struck you now eh? I hate to ruin your eureka moment but that must be the 500th time somebody has used those quotes in this series of threads. Its really losing its effectiveness at this stage. Can you not come up with something new?

It obviously still annoys the followers of Enda and Co.

They might be happy that FG/LAB think their economic policies are worth emulating after all. Who knows where it will end, maybe the govt will start to provide the same services they provide in the north too.

Though seeing as this story isn't the truth its actually irrelevant.

Close but no cigar.u

• Advertisement

yea, the yes side have all but given in...

yea, the yes side have all but given in...

& the no side are still 'given' out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We still haven't paid Bishop.

I should learn not to pay too much attention to the newspaper group that brought us the "story" yesterday about commercial rates. I expect Sinn Fein will campaign now to get equal rights for landlords in the Republic.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/property-and-housing/rates/rental-properties/how-to-qualify-for-a-12.5-per-cent-allowance-on-rates-for-rental-properties

If you are responsible for paying rates on one or more rental properties, you may be entitled to a 12.5 per cent allowance in rates, regardless of the capital value of your properties.

How to qualify for the 12.5 per cent allowance in rates

To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:
    •have a portfolio of one or more properties that you own and rent to tenants
    •have accepted rates liability for all properties within the portfolio
    •have an Agent Agreement form signed and witnessed by another person of 18 years of age or over - this agreement will remain in force until the 31 March in any year or until the property is sold
    •pay the full discounted amount by 28 September each year

& the no side are still 'given' out!!

apologies, i meant givin' (contraction of giving):D

and you've broke two rules your first day back on the thread . Way to go, Bish!!!!!

was the grammar naz

Lol at DX's obvious hard-on for SF, he can hardly go three posts without making some
    reference to them.

Put your property tax fund aside, invest in a bigger pair of trousers old hand.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

When you say their government in the north, dx, I take that you mean that Sinn Fein have the final say in the north, is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Ghandee wrote: »

Well then, you fall into this category.

When you, by your own admission are 'anti hhc and anti property tax' but you might wanna take a seat and brace yourself for this shocking news.

Registering and paying is not usually considered a good way to show you're 'anti hhc'.

Even the folks who've refused to register, yet not attended a protest March have did something.

The harsh reality that the folk who are yet 'are anti tax' like yourself, are hypocritical.

I might fall into this category ghandee but at least I wasn't in here pretending to be protesting.

donalg1 wrote: »
    I might fall into this category ghandee but at least I wasn't in here pretending to be protesting.

No, maybe not.

'pretending to be anti-hhc and anti-property tax' is a more honest approach, its that what you're telling me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1207/1224327610536.html

Good info about the property tax there. In regards to non payment:
    The Revenue is responsible for compliance and the proposals envisage it seeking to deduct unpaid tax at source from non-compliant taxpayers. For self-employed people, failure to pay will see the Revenue refusing to issue a tax clearance certificate.

If tax is still unpaid, a charge will be put on the property, ensuring it cannot be sold or transferred to new owners without being settled.

Seems the same as their policy for the household charge. They also say they will be contacting all home owners before May 1st after the valuation guidelines have been made public. They are getting people to assess the values of their own homes for tax purposes..... So what if I decide my house (if i owned one) is worth a fiver? I assume they will have some method to combat this sort of thing.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »

No, maybe not.

'pretending to be anti-hhc and anti-property tax' is a more honest approach, its that what you're telling me?

Who's pretending ghandee.

I think its the ones that are banging on about protests and mass unrest that are the experts on pretending. How did today's protests go or was it just another day talking about it here. Ah well sure there is always tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Hahaha that a great photo but unfortunately its not really relevant to anything I'm trying (and failing) to say.

Why is it not relevant. You were talking about tax which the government wants to take from us. Mr Noonon is the Finance Minister. The photo shows him giving us the two fingers. So I think it very relevant, and I'm sure I am not alone.

You might be missing the goalposts if you have been away they tend to move a lot.

darkhorse wrote: »
    Why is it not relevant. You were talking about tax which the government wants to take from us. Mr Noonon is the Finance Minister. The photo shows him giving us the two fingers. So I think it very relevant, and I'm sure I am not alone.

So you honestly believe that that is a photo of Michael Noonan purposely giving us a gesture well known to mean "fukc off"? Have you taken into account that it is clearly during an interview and the shape of his mouth suggests he is say the word "two" while holding up two fingers? I suppose he could also be saying the words "fukc you" but this is all ridiculous nonsense.

Edit: Oh man. I just found the site you got that pic from. I had a good laugh reading that morons incoherent ramblings. Now I see where you get your opinions from! I can't believe he thinks that some ministers might actually be brought to court by some eejit in westport who doesn't want to pay his taxes. Its highly ironic that a person who blog consists entirely of bullsh!t propaganda constantly accuses the mainstream media of peddling government propaganda! I do agree with his opinion of the Dail Mail though, its an absolute rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

Another person cutting colours, yet his sentiments remaining perfectly in tune with the barbershop trio. Curiouser and curiouser.

Who's pretending ghandee.

I believe you are.

I think you're probably the most disingenuous person in this whole thread.

You've consistently contradicted yourself now on thread, I've seriously struggled to work out what you support and don't support.

Some one posts something on how the govt have changed a law to enable them to basically steal from us, Donal 'thanks' the post (which id assume means you supported the decision)

You claim (on this thread several times) that you weren't advocating payment, or promoting the hhc, two or three posts later you're telling us to 'stop moaning and pay'it.

Then you sneer down your nose at protests (or as you say, lack of them) by anti property tax and and anti HHC campaigners, yet you say you're one yourself, but I'd bet you were first in the queue to pay it (what with it being the 'law' and all):rolleyes:
    I think its the ones that are banging on about protests and mass unrest that are the experts on pretending.

See above ref who pretends to be anything around here Donal.
    How did today's protests go or was it just another day talking about it here. Ah well sure there is always tomorrow.

What protests today? I wasn't aware there were any :confused:

Your major downfall is Donal, that you clearly think you're one up on the rest of us here, but as I've repeatedly found contradictions, half truths, and downright lies in a lot of your tales and beliefs, you'll need to improve your memory slightly to get one over on me.

You're spending so much time on this thread attempting to speak coherently from both sides of your mouth, you keep forgetting what you've said at an earlier date. When exposed for what you are, its off to report a post, and call for back up.

Stop pretending to be anti property tax for Christ's sake.

I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for you as a poster if you finally nailed your colours to your mast.

The only person your fooling around here is yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1207/1224327610536.html

Good info about the property tax there. In regards to non payment:
    Doesn't that contradict this.....
    My point was that increasing income taxes leads to a sharper decline in consumer spending when compared to introducing new charges that don't directly affect peoples net pay, even if disposable income is the same either way.
    Seems to me they don't give a sh*t, once they get the money.

No, the two are unrelated. What I was saying earlier wasn't my opinion, it was just an interpretation of some results which were carried out by economists.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There could be something to the idea of not taxing wages directly. Economics is a social science after all, not an exact one. FF did exactly this during the boom, give people more money in their wage packets with tax cuts and low rates of PRSI, then let them pay high spending taxes through buying houses, cars, LCD TV's etc.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

There were a lot more people working then on higher wages, and much larger items, such as houses adding to the tax. A lot of our workers have emigrated, and our social welfare has increased.

This tax is like scrabbling around down the side of the sofa for a few euros to save while you feed caviar to all the neighbours' cats. It is retaxing people who have been taxed in every way on their homes already. It is raising a tiny amount of revenue compared with the unsecured bondholders' billions and farmers' payments which are doled out without a word.

The fat cats in the Dail, and other well paid jobs paid by the taxpayers will continue to invent taxes and cripple the taxpayer, even though it is becoming unsustainable for very many individuals and businesses. Very shortsighted as we are the source of their income, well the main source. Some are also farmers, teachers and other jobs held up to various degrees....by the Taxpayer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement