Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Ghandee wrote: »
    This is just getting ridiculous now lol!

Is this really what you want to support?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1025/household-charge-letters.html

They're doing a better 'anti hhc campaign' than anyone else could ever hope to do!

Not a clue.

So, the Donal1's of this wonderful country pay their €100 within the specified timeframe, they get letters of reminders, and THEY must then re-notify the state agency that they have already paid, thus rectifying the state agency's fuck-ups??? What a joke.

I am a NON-payer, and haven't got ANY reminder so far.

CRAZY situation

Hijpo wrote: »
    John Halligan sent this to Phil

And got this reply

BFP had this as his last paragraph:

I understand that the letters which issued in recent weeks invite recipients who are not liable, or who have previously paid the Household Charge, or in the event of inaccuracy or error, to contact the Household Charge Bureau to allow the Agency to update their records accordingly.

[/B]

My question, is AT WHOSE EXPENSE?

Steven81 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy will sort it all out, people do love a good moan, makes great entertainment.

Now, why would You be making a statement like this Steven81?

Whatever about the pro and anti contingents, at least we have conducted ourselves ( in the main) civily.
    I think it's the height of ignorance when someone just marches on here, and makes the comment You made, and nothing more.

darkhorse wrote: »
    I just had an idea, lugha. Send some of the revenue staff to each location of the SVdeP, also send some of them to all the soup kitchens around the country, so that they can collect the €10,000, at the door of each location, from these people.

Fcuk that DH..send them to Uganda:pac:

donalg1 wrote: »
    No chance of the HHC going or property tax for that matter thinking so is just wishful really.

Not saying You are right or wrong, but how do You know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Why can't you believe it, did'nt the majority buy in to the nonsense that FG was spouting, awnd they were stupid enough to vote for them and put them at the helm.

Well that's true I probably did underestimate the stupidity of some. It's funny now how some people are surprised and can't understand why fine Gael aren't living up to their pre election promises.

Le_Dieux wrote: »

Not saying You are right or wrong, but how do You know?

Tis just a hunch / speculation

Tis just a hunch / speculation

You are entitled to Your 'hunch/speculation' so I am to mine also:

I think this bunch will fall as they will cause serious unrest come December this year. One cannot squeeze blood from a stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

My question, is AT WHOSE EXPENSE?

Just tell the operator to reverse the charge.:)

Just tell the operator to reverse the charge.:)

There were some VERY upset people on Joe Duffy today over this. Worth a listen!

• Advertisement

No chance of the HHC going or property tax for that matter thinking so is just wishful really.

Let's hope that you are wrong on this one, donal, because if it does go ahead, and judging by everything we have been hearing on the news about so many people living in poverty(I'm not a million miles away from it myself) and rising, and people not even having the money to pay all their utility bills, it appears to have all the hallmarks of the very few paying for the very many. Things are'nt getting better for the majority, in spite of what the politicians may say, unless, of course that there is a cash prize, as well as the trophy that Enda is getting on our behalf for being europeans of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

I heard that the guys in the dail today, voted to give themselves a week long "mid term" break. With NO objections. WTF. Is this for real?

There were some VERY upset people on Joe Duffy today over this. Worth a listen!

I know. I think the show should be broadcast all through leinster house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Hijpo

LOL :D

€100 for paying it on time
    €??? to ring them to tell them you already paid
    €25 to take your dead partners name off the list
    €??? to the solicitor for a copy of the death cert

The smile on my face when i hear more people realise the government is made up of the most incompetent bunch of assholes

Priceless.

I wonder how they would react if they were inundated with requests for refunds

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

They could have saved themselves all this extra money by not paying in the first place and ignoring the letters afterwards. I have not yet received any letters yet but I look forward to ignoring them :D.

Slick50 wrote: »
    I heard that the guys in the dail today, voted to give themselves a week long "mid term" break. With NO objections. WTF. Is this for real?

THIS has been my main bone of contention: Why they expect all of us to make sacrifices, yet they do nothing in return.:mad::mad::mad:

So, the Donal1's of this wonderful country pay their €100 within the specified timeframe, they get letters of reminders, and THEY must then re-notify the state agency that they have already paid, thus rectifying the state agency's fuck-ups??? What a joke.

I am a NON-payer, and haven't got ANY reminder so far.

CRAZY situation

Sure it was only a phone call and it ensures that they know who has paid so anyone left on their list then hasnt paid, thereby making it a little easier for them to compile a list of those that actually havent paid. Or at least thats the theory anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

A whole batch of letters (x thousands) were sent out this week. The names are taken from the electoral register because mine arrived, with the misspelling of the town land where I live. Only get that on election literature/ junk mail. Sounds like they just took a huge chunk of names, whether paid or not and sent letters out, relying on the goodwill of people to let them know (again) that they paid. That's desperation because going the land registry route will take years. Best if they scrap it now, refund the money and get a top up loan from the Troika to cover the shortfall, since they love us so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Sure it was only a phone call and it ensures that they know who has paid so anyone left on their list then hasnt paid, thereby making it a little easier for them to compile a list of those that actually havent paid. Or at least thats the theory anyway.

Another case of 'do our work for us'.

There would be uproar if people started to get letters to renew motor tax, person getting letter has no car, and had to call council to inform them of that, then send 25% of the motor tax fee to prove it.

Ie, person received hhc not paid letter, person letter addressed to is deceased, someone had to then send 25€ death cert as proof.

Complete incompetency.

A whole batch of letters (x thousands) were sent out this week. The names are taken from the electoral register because mine arrived, with the misspelling of the town land where I live. Only get that on election literature/ junk mail. Sounds like they just took a huge chunk of names, whether paid or not and sent letters out, relying on the goodwill of people to let them know (again) that they paid. That's desperation because going the land registry route will take years. Best if they scrap it now, refund the money and get a top up loan from the Troika to cover the shortfall, since they love us so much.

Just out of interest.

Non judgemental at all.

Did you pay? ^

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    Another case of 'do our work for us'.

There would be uproar if people started to get letters to renew motor tax, person getting letter has no car, and had to call council to inform them of that, then send 25% of the motor tax fee to prove it.

Ie, person received hhc not paid letter, person letter addressed to is deceased, someone had to then send 25€ death cert as proof.

Complete incompetency.

It sure is a very incompetent way of going about it, but sure if it results in them having a definitive list of all non payers then the end will have justified the means wouldnt you think.

It sure is a very incompetent way of going about it, but sure if it results in them having a definitive list of all non payers then the end will have justified the means wouldnt you think.

lol why cant they just use the database they got the details for? People submitted there names and address's when they paid the money, what are they doing with the names and address's if they are not in the database by now?
    Bare in mind that this database is supposed to facilitate a Property Tax that is supposed to be introduced in 12 or so months.

What a shower.

If they cant even set up a simple database in which people have willingly provided there details ,already how are they supposed to be trusted with a database thats supposed to keep track of who has paid there €1000 property tax and some with multiple propertys.

lol why cant they just use the database they got the details for? People submitted there names and address's when they paid the money, what are they doing with the names and address's if they are not in the database by now?
    Bare in mind that this database is supposed to facilitate a Property Tax that is supposed to be introduced in 12 or so months.

What a shower.

If they cant even set up a simple database in which people have willingly provided there details ,already how are they supposed to be trusted with a database thats supposed to keep track of who has paid there €1000 property tax and some with multiple propertys.

Well I would imagine they started a database with the names of those that registered for the HHC and then cross checked this with the electoral register and electronically produced letters and sent them to those that didnt match up. I got a letter because of a slight difference in the address just one letter but this would be missed in the cross reference, and would be picked up by a person if they were checking so this is why I think they were produced electronically.

Now that I have informed them that I have actually paid they can find my name on the HHC list and the other list compare them, see that I have in fact paid and remove me from their cross referenced list leaving those that havent paid on this list.

What about the people that are dead 26 years? Who tells them that they are dead? Why does it cost 25 quid?

What about the people that are dead 26 years?

What about them, was it one person or many people and did the peoples family ever inform the Council or would it be possible to maybe miss one person out of all those that have died in the last 26 years?

Or did that person happen to share the same name as someone else living in the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

bgrizzley wrote: »
    id still love to know how you think the bank could take a house after they have been paid.
    You have misread my post (twice! ;) )
    bgrizzley wrote: »
    IMO pure greed on the part of the electorate.
    Yes, the electorate. That would be us. Which is exactly what I said! What was that you were saying about arguing for the sake of arguing? :)
    Well I would imagine they started a database with the names of those that registered for the HHC and then cross checked this with the electoral register ......
    Like all the “won’t pay” crowd’s argument this line is entirely spurious. If some alternative revenue-raising measure were proposed instead of the property tax that required a registry to be compiled, then I fully expect there would be the same difficulties and in the early stages, quite a few errors in producing such a registry.

Which of course have nothing at all to do with whether property tax is sensible / ill-advised, fair/unfair or moral / immoral etc. But I suppose if you haven't any good arguments ......:pac:

What about them, was it one person or many people and did the peoples family ever inform the Council or would it be possible to maybe miss one person out of all those that have died in the last 26 years?

Or did that person happen to share the same name as someone else living in the property?

Who knows how many it happend to. Why not just check the address? its the house that the charge is applicable to not each person living in the house on the electoral register. They really dont know how to implement it do they, not one clue.

You can already here Hogan come out with the line "because of the shortfall we have to increase the property tax"

Who knows how many it happend to. Why not just check the address? its the house that the charge is applicable to not each person living in the house on the electoral register. They really dont know how to implement it do they, not one clue.

You can already here Hogan come out with the line "because of the shortfall we have to increase the property tax"

I said previously the letters sent recently were probably done electronically as if they were done by a person they would have noticed these discrepancies. As the list is now no doubt shorter maybe the next lot or the lot after that will be checked manually and incidences like the above will be reduced.

At first when I got my letter I was annoyed as I thought well thats just completely stupid (which it is) but now I am starting to think that they are actually doing something to chase the non payers which is a good thing. However, I do still think the wording of the last lot of letters was stupid, saying you may be liable and may have already paid. I mean this is basically saying to the non payers we dont have a clue if you have or havent paid. Hopefully these letters will have reduced their list to those that have not paid and then the next bout of letters will be worded stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

lugha wrote: »
    You have misread my post (twice! ;) )

you misread me , i misread you. we're all happpy.

Yes, the electorate. That would be us. Which is exactly what I said! What was that you were saying about arguing for the sake of arguing? :)

you didnt ask who(the electorate), you asked What’s your understanding of how they came to be in power?(IMO greed) i suppose if your not even reading your own posts i cant expect you to read mine :rolleyes:

Which of course have nothing at all to do with whether property tax is sensible / ill-advised, fair/unfair or moral / immoral etc. But I suppose if you haven't any good arguments ......:pac:

of course we cant compare to the fantastic Yes arguments, everyone else has one so should we. its only the price of a half pint. the troika made me do it

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, the power's that be give themselves €4 million extra than last year, a few months before they force € 3.5 BILLION in cuts inours.

Fitting headline btw, they're seriously rubbing our noses in it at this stage.
    Dáil ‘a joke’ as €112m spend passed

By Mary Regan, Political Correspondent Friday, October 26, 2012

The Dáil was branded "a joke of a parliament" after a planned €112m spend next year for TDs and senators was pushed through without any debate. As it rose for Halloween holidays, Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore told the Dáil it would have a chance to debate the Oireachtas budget — an average spend of €500,000 for every TD and senator — when it returns on Nov 6.

However, as the budget was voted and passed on a Government majority yesterday, the opposition questioned the point of holding what was described by Fianna Fáil’s Timmy Dooley as "a retrospective debate".

The estimates outline plans to spend €112m in 2013 —an increase on this year’s €108m. It will bring the average cost of keeping each TD and senator up to €495,700, compared with €479,400 this year.

The spend will include: nSalaries of €15,775,000 for 166 TDs — a slight rise from €15,753,000 last year;

* Salaries for 60 senators amounting to €4.1m — the same as 2012;

* Salaries for the State’s 12 MEPs (who earn the same as TDs) of €749,000 — up from €742,000 last year;

* Travel expenses for TDs of €3.7m — up about €55,000 from last year;

* Travel expenses of €1.3m for senators;

* Other expenses and allowances for TDs of €6.3m —up from €5.7m;

* Other expenses for senators of €1.1m — an increase of €147,000.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dail-a-joke-as-112m-spend-passed-212032.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement