Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dvpower wrote: »
    I always thought you liked my contributions :confused:

It is scraping the bottom of the anti LPT barrel to be abusing a public servant just because she worked in Phil Hogan's department. (and she got plenty of abuse on this site)
    Even after she's resigned, why do you feel the need for posting baseless innuendo? Of what relevance do you think this news has to this thread anyway?

"just because she worked in Phil's department"

Ah now come off it.
    She was doing more than working and as they say "a picture paints a thousand words". Have a good look at the picture. Was it not you who kept telling everyone to do their duty and pay their taxes?
    Phil should have been doing his duty in Doha and not canoodling in public.
    I'd say there was a bit of trouble internally regarding Phil's visit to Doha if she has now left his department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I'd say there was a bit of trouble internally regarding Phil's visit to Doha if she has now left his department.
    We'll you might say that, but since you say it from a position of ignorance, I'd say you're talking through your hat.

We'll you might say that, but since you say it from a position of ignorance, I'd say you're talking through your hat.

The outcome would tend to support my view though.
    Those kind of photos wouldn't go down well with Enda i'd say, ruining the reputation of the party of "principles".

The outcome would tend to support my view though.
    Only your imagining of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Why don't u two put down ur handbags and have a real scrap, laptops at dawn.

• Advertisement

Only your imagining of it.

So why do you think a "personal assistant" who was required at a very important Climate Conference in Doha left so soon after then?
    I am predicting a bit of a re-shuffle in this department in the not too distant future.

So why do you think a "personal assistant" who was required at a very important Climate Conference in Doha left so soon after then?
    I've no idea. Maybe she was sick of the online abuse she got, like people calling her a 'tart' on this site, or, what was your take? A 'bit of fluff'?

Anyway, we're not going to see eye to eye on this, so no point in continuing this conversation.

I've no idea. Maybe she was sick of the online abuse she got, like people calling her a 'tart' on this site, or, what was your take? A 'bit of fluff'?

Anyway, we're not going to see eye to eye on this, so no point in continuing this conversation.

Then she shouldn't have allowed herself to be photographed in such an uncompromising position BUT I blame Big Phil more than her.
    Not at all professional of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We haven't had a story from the Sunday papers this week so here goes. From the Sunday Times, January 27 2013, page 22.

Rush to pay household charge.

A reduction in the penalties for late payment of the household charge, which was announced in last month's budget, triggered a new year surge in payments. The Local Government Management Agency took in more than €820,000 from January 4 to 11, the highest rate for several months, a spokesman said. It received €515,000 and €529,000 in subsequent weeks. About 71% of households have now paid the €100 charge.

I have no idea what they mean about a reduction in the penalties, but I am well used to journalists getting stuff wrong. Anyway the number of gaps the Revenue will have to fill is obviously going to get gradually smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

being unprofessional at our expense may be the least of his worries

New records released under the Freedom of Information Act reveal Dr Reilly requested the hospitals in Mr Howlin, Mr Kehoe and Mr Hogan's backyards be "accelerated in the HSE's capital programme".

http://www.herald.ie/news/reilly-under-fire-in-new-hospital-row-3368354.html

(Fr. Stack didnt come up with that one himself)

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »
    being unprofessional at our expense may be the least of his worries

New records released under the Freedom of Information Act reveal Dr Reilly requested the hospitals in Mr Howlin, Mr Kehoe and Mr Hogan's backyards be "accelerated in the HSE's capital programme".

http://www.herald.ie/news/reilly-under-fire-in-new-hospital-row-3368354.html

(Fr. Stack didnt come up with that one himself)

Fianna Fail have not gone away you know.
    The Mk 2 version is alive and well.

We haven't had a story from the Sunday papers this week so here goes. From the Sunday Times, January 27 2013, page 22.

A reduction in the penalties for late payment of the household charge, which was announced in last month's budget, triggered a new year surge in payments. The Local Government Management Agency took in more than €820,000 from January 4 to 11, the highest rate for several months, a spokesman said. It received €515,000 and €529,000 in subsequent weeks. About 71% of households have now paid the €100 charge.

I have no idea what they mean about a reduction in the penalties, but I am well used to journalists getting stuff wrong. Anyway the number of gaps the Revenue will have to fill is obviously going to get gradually smaller.

An on topic post - how dare you :pac:

I suspect its people taking stock after the new year, most likely figuring that the anti tax campaign had now no prospect of success after more details of the LPT were announced in the budget. Most people are basically honest.

I suspect its people taking stock after the new year, most likely figuring that the anti tax campaign had now no prospect of success after more details of the LPT were announced in the budget. Most people are basically honest.

Yeah right :rolleyes:

http://www.herald.ie/news/reilly-und...w-3368354.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I suspect its people taking stock after the new year, most likely figuring that the anti tax campaign had now no prospect of success after more details of the LPT were announced in the budget.

A right, so last years dishonest people, are now honest. That`s handy.
    Most people are basically honest.

Bruthal wrote: »
    A right, so last years dishonest people, are now honest. That`s handy.

Mark 11:25 comes to mind :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Around 100 anti property tax campaigners have distrupted a cork council meeting and occupied the council chamber in protest earlier tonight.

That`s grand, 10 more months of honesty remains for the masses.

That`s grand, 10 more months of honesty remains for the masses.
    What happens in 10 months?

Am Chile wrote: »
    Around 100 anti property tax campaigners have distrupted a cork council meeting and occupied the council chamber in protest earlier tonight.

'suppose they're doing something anyway.
    Not sure how Cork CC can 'axe the tax', but there must be some method in their madness.

What happens in 10 months?

Mark says 25th nov. Its eternal paradise for us all, for our honest lives of tax compliance.

• Advertisement

Mark says 25th nov. Its eternal paradise for us all, for our honest lives of tax compliance.
    Try John 14:2 "My Father's house has many rooms, but the property tax is a killer"

Try John 14:2 "My Father's house has many rooms, but the property tax is a killer"

Minister Zacchaeus will be along next

Flashback recent Irish league of credit unions survey post budget the findings.

An
    estimated 1.6m adults are left with a paltry €50 or less to spend at the end of
    the month, after all essential bills are paid.

The
    figure points to an increase, since October, of 230,000 people falling deeper
    into the trap of having little or no disposable income.

The
    17% increase was discovered during a continuing credit union survey.

The latest results from the
    What’s Left tracker series by the Irish League of Credit Unions shows almost
    1.6m adults have spending money of just €50 or less a month, up from
    1.36m in October.

The
    prospect of the property tax is adding to people’s woes; 40% believe this will
    be the one that impacts most on personal finances. And the omens for 2013 are
    not good — eight in 10 fear this year will be even tougher than last year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0117/world/16m-adults-left-with-50-or-less-each-month-after-bills-survey-reveals-219862.html

Post budget from this survey we being told people have even less disposable income at the end of the month, yet a sunday paper claims post budget people are in a rush to pay the household charge-I don,t doubt some may have paid it, however going by this recent survey IM skeptical of the figures being given in the sunday times, given that a signifigant amount of people only have €50 disposable at the end of the month, then we are asked to believe people are rushing to pay €130 .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Flashback recent Irish league of credit unions survey post budget the findings.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0117/world/16m-adults-left-with-50-or-less-each-month-after-bills-survey-reveals-219862.html

Post budget from this survey we being told people have even less disposable income at the end of the month, yet a sunday paper claims post budget people are in a rush to pay the household charge-I don,t doubt some may have paid it, however going by this recent survey IM skeptical of the figures being given in the sunday times, given that a signifigant amount of people only have €50 disposable at the end of the month, then we are asked to believe people are rushing to pay €130 .

You are going over old ground again. Your scepticism of the Sunday Times is matched by my scepticism of the CU research which I outlined 10 days ago. Can you make sense of the What's Left survey compared to the Christmas survey?

When I hear the results of the Credit Union surveys they always make me wonder. The methodology of the research appears to be standard in that the sample is representative of age spread and geography. But simply taking the answers from people as being true in financial matters does not strike me as good science. What would be needed is some investigation of actual income/spending/savings.

And I can't find any indication of what percentage of the survey are private homeowners (with or without mortgage, there are roughly the same number of each in the country), dependent adults in such homes, renting privately or social housing tenants/residents. Or any indication of the employment status of the sample.

The CU Christmas survey shows that the expected average spend for 2012 was €527 and that 83% were funding that from normal income, normal savings or dedicated Christmas savings. I cannot make that correlate to 1.6 million adults having only €50 for discretionary/emergency spending every month.

http://www.creditunion.ie/communications/pressreleases/

http://www.creditunion.ie/communications/pressreleases/2012/title,7037,en.php

I also see a NI version of the What's Left survey which I just glanced through, all doom and gloom. But I couldn't see any mention of their much higher property tax being a factor in peoples' misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

These Credit Union surveys seem to survey a hell of a lot of people!

Mod

Anyway, just on the whole thing about Hogan, Martin Cullen had a similar thing attached to him and that resulted in a court case, drop the Carry on insinuations about Hogan thank you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

When I hear the results of the Credit Union surveys they always make me wonder. The methodology of the research appears to be standard in that the sample is representative of age spread and geography. But simply taking the answers from people as being true in financial matters does not strike me as good science. What would be needed is some investigation of actual income/spending/savings.

And I can't find any indication of what percentage of the survey are private homeowners (with or without mortgage, there are roughly the same number of each in the country), dependent adults in such homes, renting privately or social housing tenants/residents. Or any indication of the employment status of the sample.

The CU Christmas survey shows that the expected average spend for 2012 was €527 and that 83% were funding that from normal income, normal savings or dedicated Christmas savings. I cannot make that correlate to 1.6 million adults having only €50 for discretionary/emergency spending every month.

http://www.creditunion.ie/communications/pressreleases/

http://www.creditunion.ie/communications/pressreleases/2012/title,7037,en.php

Bgrizzley, AmChile, DX and DV decide they will have a great christmas. Bgrizzley spends E10,000, DV spends E1.00 and DX spends E2.00 Am Chile spends E3.00. Average spend of E2,501.50.
    Just sayin...
    I also see a NI version of the What's Left survey which I just glanced through, all doom and gloom. But I couldn't see any mention of their much higher property tax being a factor in peoples' misery.

probably cause they dont have to fork out to a private company to empty their bins after paying it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

A lot of off topic sh*te there... and then you come out with this.
    ??? Hypocrisy!
    'suppose they're doing something anyway.
    Not sure how Cork CC can 'axe the tax', but there must be some method in their madness.
    Claiming one minute, there is no real protest. The next, there is no point in protesting. More hypocrisy.!
    Thanks from: MadYaker
    Welcome back. Maybe you'd like to respond to some questions directed at you before you disappeared.

On behalf of Ghandee, and myself.... DON'T REGISTER, DON'T PAY.

Slick50 wrote: »
    Thanks from: Madyaker

Welcome back. Maybe you'd like to respond to some questions directed at you before you disappeared.

On behalf of Ghandee, and myself.... DON'T REGISTER, DON'T PAY.

With the bible quoting from DV, madyaker is probably just here to give thanks and praise.

Anti-household charge protesters have forced the abandonment of a meeting of Cork City Council after they occupied the public gallery of the council chamber and began shouting and chanting slogans.
    A stand-off continued for over two hours, with the protesters refusing to leave.

The protest ended peacefully after gardai and city council officials intervened.
    The protesters were initially welcomed by Lord Mayor Councillor John Buttimer, who told them they were not entitled to contribute to proceedings.
    However, within minutes the protesters unfurled banners and began shouting questions at councillors about the property tax.
    They also chanted slogans.

The meeting was suspended and gardaí were called.
    A stand-off followed, with the protesters refusing to leave or stop chanting, and the councillors insisting that they would not be forced from the chamber to which they were elected.

The meeting was eventually abandoned and the stand-off ended after more than two hours when the protesters and councillors agreed to leave City Hall at the same time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0128/364986-protesters-cork-city-council/

In my view campaigners choose the wrong venue to protest . City hall and the councilors have absolutely nothing to do with the implementation of the family home Tax – that’s a matter for the Dáil-IM all for protests against the family home tax targetting local councils won,t have much effect or impact, Councilors may belong to the major Political Parties – but they are not Legislators, they are merely local representatives (I protested against the household charge last year at my local council when they sent out threatening letters over non payment ) when the councils had some authority to do with it at that point in time, but they don,t anymore -instead of protesting in council chambers about the family home tax, people should protest and occupy revenue buildings,occupy tds clinics, Id even go as far as calling for protests outside tds homes instead of targetting local councils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Good to see, sorry for allowing anti Government and pro- Can't pay Won't pay shills on the site. I await the pm's in protest against this outrage against democracy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement