Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Fcuking cnuts the lot of them. How we can sit back with this sh1t under our noses and allow it to continue is beyond me.

I read some where that Eamon Gilmore and his wife who he appointed to a job takes home 5750 or 5570 or some such figure around that, either before tax or after tax, a week between them.

There would be couples in Ireland who can't even get 188 euro a week in unemployment assistance between them.

Eamonn Gilmore and his wife's weekly earnings would mount to near enough 20,000 a month.

There's many people working who don't even get that sum a year.

Labour have inherited a very difficult financial situation. They have had to make some very tough decisions and have to endure utter castigation from certain quarters for doing so (yet no legitimate alternatives are put forward). I think it is just important that people don't all become sheep and follow the same line > otherwise FF will end up back in power.

Re: Remuneration: I'm not going to try to justify 20,000 a month. I never could (and for that matter nobody can). But our leaders are not van drivers, so let's try to keep some balance in the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

But our leaders are not van drivers, so let's try to keep some balance in the debate.

Unless the van is delivering gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its true that high level and civil servants and politicians should be paid well and that 200,000 a year is definitely before tax, so imagine his take home pay will be somewhere in the region of 120,000 per year or less and he gets no expenses which is a bit more reasonable considering he is experienced and highly qualified. But if its 200,000 after tax that's ridiculous.

Also ilovesleep can you provide some links to back up your outlandish claims? It takes away from the debate if you're just posting pure speculation not backed up by anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Labour hav

Re: But our leaders are not van drivers, so let's try to keep some balance in the debate.

sure, if they drove vans like they are driving this country, there would be quite a shortage of them after a month, also the the people who supply and lease them would be rubbing their hands with glee.

MadYaker wrote: »
    so imagine his take home pay will be somewhere in the region of 120,000 per year or less and he gets no expenses

After he pays his water charges, he will have fuck all left.

• Advertisement

I see that he was previously the manager of Dublin City Council. I wonder can he claim a pension from that job or is it only government ministers who can do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bruthal wrote: »
    After he pays his water charges, he will have fuck all left.
    If he has a few houses and cars and a housekeeper, sure that money wouldn't go far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

darkhorse wrote: »
    I do actually.
    That's a comprehensive rebuttal; I withdraw.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Labour have inherited a very difficult financial situation. They have had to make some very tough decisions and have to endure utter castigation from certain quarters for doing so (yet no legitimate alternatives are put forward). I think it is just important that people don't all become sheep and follow the same line > otherwise FF will end up back in power.

Re: Remuneration: I'm not going to try to justify 20,000 a month. I never could (and for that matter nobody can). But our leaders are not van drivers, so let's try to keep some balance in the debate.

What ??? Are Fianna Fail not in power now ?? You could have fooled me because I thought we were following all their policies. Silly me !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

For posters who oppose the property tax/water tax-national anti austerity protests will be taking place a week from saturday on the 9th of February in different towns around the country-who is planning to attend these upcoming protests ?

• Advertisement

Not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I agree with you. Our current government have been given a very hard hand of cards to play with.

I agree our government are not van drivers & shouldn't be paid as such given their role. But they are leaders & IMO they should be leading by example. So many people have severly reduced incomes to face. Perhaps many made changes to save money to meet demands (I know, I made many changes &I've always lived fairly simply &am easily pleased) & yet many people are faced with more & more outgoings & extra demands. IMO, our leaders should be leading by example. Anyone worth their salt would be leading by example.

How can they stand up in the Dail or in front of the media & say we're going to impose such rules & fiscal demands on you the people of Ireland, because we are in deficit & austerity is the road we are taking to deal with this deficit. All the time while their wages, incomes, salaries, pensions, multiple pensions, expenses & perks don't even reflect austerity.

I see that he was previously the manager of Dublin City Council. I wonder can he claim a pension from that job or is it only government ministers who can do that?

I see his position is going to be a real job too and not an internship and yet there's many highly qualified and skilled people and even people with masters and much more who only have the opportunity of an internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I see his position is going to be a real job too and not an internship and yet there's many highly qualified and skilled people and even people with masters and much more who only have the opportunity of an internship.

He has an MA in Public Administration and a Doctorate in Governance.
    Don't think that he needs to go on an Internship though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Not me.

Thank God for that. You'd probably pick our pockets, and throw all our wallets into Leinster House.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

mikom wrote: »
    "If elected we will reduce the amount of state quangos"

"Water's not free, ya know"

"We all have to tighten our belts"

*pays head of quango €200,000 a year.

Liars, cheats, and thieves.

I think myself that this about sums up what the irish government thinks of the irish people.

middle-finger-9865954.jpg

Vizzy wrote: »
    He has an MA in Public Administration and a Doctorate in Governance.
    Don't think that he needs to go on an Internship though.

Bull-fcuking-sh1t

There is an internship going as a vet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What's the salary of the boss of Irish Water got to do with the Property Tax?

What's the salary of the boss of Irish Water got to do with the Property Tax?

Is it not a new company to charge people for water, a service, and is the property tax not to pay for services?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Property Tax was never meant to pay for water services. It's always been said that there will be a separate water charge.

• Advertisement

Property Tax was never meant to pay for water services. It's always been said that there will be a separate water charge.

His connection to peoples increasing hardship, would seem a reasonable one. Of course, once they say water is a separate service, thats all possible connections between tax payers, a property tax they say is to fund services, and the ceo salary of a new company to take more tax from tax payers, null and void for you then.

Yes, null and void.

Also, his salary isn't being funded by tax.

Yes, null and void.

Also, his salary isn't being funded by tax.

His job is secure so, even if no one pays the charges.

Exactly.

Exactly.

So he is getting paid to run a company that will extract more tax from people?

Well he's hardly doing to do it for free.

Well he's hardly doing to do it for free.

Who pays him?

Irish Water, who're a subsidiary of Bord Gais.

And where do they get the money to pay him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

yes dcc have come to an agreement with him as regards his pension, so one can assume until proven otherwise that he has a pension to bolster his meger wage, i wonder what if any tax free perks go with this job, also was the job advertised, if so was there many applicants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement