Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

dvpower wrote: »
    Meanwhile, over in Italy, Silvio Berlusconi is promising not only to scrap their property tax, but also refund money paid.

If he doesn't get elected in Italy, he should run here; there's no shortage of people who'll vote for the populist (albeit ridiculous) option here.

When was the last time the most unpopular candidate`s won an election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bruthal wrote: »
    When was the last time the most unpopular candidate`s won an election?
    I know. FF got elected on the back of populist, but damaging, policies for years. SF are using the same playbook.

Followers, not leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Less than 80 applied for the 1,000 cut-price jobs.
    They were expecting thousands to apply
    Well done nurses. Take no bullying.
    Apparently it's fine to push our newly qu;ified, highly trained nurses out of the country. But we couldn't risk a third tier of income tax, for fear the cream of irish society should up sticks and leave.

I know. FF got elected on the back of populist, but damaging, policies for years. SF are using the same playbook.

Followers, not leaders.
    Is that the time FG were calling for more spending, and more and better services?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Slick50 wrote: »
    Is that the time FG were calling for more spending, and more and better services?

Exactly. Like during the FF budgets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm not against taxes. I'd pay a tax that made sense....

But I don't see the sense in this. I see how much we collectively pay in taxes and I see how little we get back from our government and I don't see any justification for it.

The government seems like a little kid at an arcade demanding more quarters. It doesn't matter how many we give them, they'll always want more and we won't be getting anything out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

UCDVet wrote: »
    I'm not against taxes. I'd pay a tax that made sense....

But I don't see the sense in this. I see how much we collectively pay in taxes and I see how little we get back from our government and I don't see any justification for it.

The government seems like a little kid at an arcade demanding more quarters. It doesn't matter how many we give them, they'll always want more and we won't be getting anything out of it.

I suppose this is the part where I make the point that were not getting anything out of it because our country is massively in debt and then everyone else jumps in and and says "its not my debt" and "its all being given to the banks" and then I say "yes it is your debt because Brian Lenihan signed the bank guarantee after you elected his party who made him finance minister" and then it all starts again, would that be about right?

MadYaker wrote: »
    I suppose this is the part where I make the point that were not getting anything out of it because our country is massively in debt and then everyone else jumps in and and says "its not my debt" and "its all being given to the banks" and then I say "yes it is your debt because Brian Lenihan signed the bank guarantee after you elected his party who made him finance minister" and then it all starts again, would that be about right?
    Sounds like you can do this all on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

SF are using the same playbook.Followers, not leaders.

But SF are not in government, and if they were, do you honestly think that they would be tiptoeing around the likes of merkel and draghi and the rest of them, like our current leaders. I don't think many people would agree with your statement here, dv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

New video doing the rounds of social media-anti property tax protesters occupying catherine byrnes office in protest.

• Advertisement

That doesn't put your home in risk any more than any other unpaid debt.
    What debts, other than those you have put your home up as security on, put your home at risk?

Am Chile wrote: »
    New video doing the rounds of social media-anti property tax protesters occupying catherine byrnes office in protest.
    Good to see, need to get a few more bodies out there though. Fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

What debts, other than those you have put your home up as security on, put your home at risk?
    All debts have that potential to a very small degree. The LPT/HHC probably to a lesser extent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Those that have been converted to judgment mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

They should just be honest and call it the bondholder tax or propping up the useless civil service tax. Its seems to be about time to start using the Irish flag as toilet paper

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

All debts have that potential to a very small degree.
    Robbo wrote: »
    Those that have been converted to judgment mortgages.

Realistically, very few so.
    The LPT/HHC probably to a lesser extent.
    Maybe, for the time being, but what about as and when the government get more and more desperate for revenue. Their CPA extension talks don't seem to be going quite to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

A FINE GAEL city councillor has accused his own Government of misleading the public on the property tax — insisting that claims the tax is to fund local services are “simply not true.”

"They’re telling people the property taxes are for local services but that’s simply not true.”

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2013/02/04/fg-councillor-is-angry-over-property-tax-local-spend/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Am Chile wrote: »

The Trotskyite mob picked a soft target there. It just goes to show that the TD in Galway was right to shut up shop before the mob invaded his office to "ask him questions".

Here are more Trotskyites in action. You will note the presence of Councillor Lewis who is more usually engaged in representing his constituents by taking trips on ships to Palestine or giving lectures on Marxism Leninism. And if ever an exclusive fee paying private Catholic education was wasted on anyone it was surely on Boyd Barrett.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/article.php?id=2057&l=100

http://www.swp.ie/content/revolution-2012-dublin

Lenin, Trotsky and the revolutionary tradition. Cllr Hugh Lewis (People Before Profit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The Trotskyite mob picked a soft target there. It just goes to show that the TD in Galway was right to shut up shop before the mob invaded his office to "ask him questions".

Here are more Trotskyites in action. You will note the presence of Councillor Lewis who is more usually engaged in representing his constituents by taking trips on ships to Palestine or giving lectures on Marxism Leninism. And if ever an exclusive fee paying private Catholic education was wasted on anyone it was surely on Boyd Barrett.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/article.php?id=2057&l=100

http://www.swp.ie/content/revolution-2012-dublin

Lenin, Trotsky and the revolutionary tradition. Cllr Hugh Lewis (People Before Profit)

Reds Under the Beds.
    Straight out of the Joseph McCarthy playbook dxhound2005.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    A FINE GAEL city councillor has accused his own Government of misleading the public on the property tax — insisting that claims the tax is to fund local services are “simply not true.”

"They’re telling people the property taxes are for local services but that’s simply not true.”

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2013/02/04/fg-councillor-is-angry-over-property-tax-local-spend/

So Fine Gael are actively instructing their members to lie to the public.
    Surprise surprise.
    Some things never change.
    We have to rid the country of this party. FG/Labour and FF lie so easily. Time to consign them to the dustbin of history.
    Unfortunately at the moment we have very little alternative.
    Wish we had some honesty in politics. Any chance of a new party being formed ?

• Advertisement

Makes a change from "there is no protest" or "keyboard warrior"

Brilliant :D

Surprise surprise.
    Some things never change.
    We have to rid the country of this party. FG/Labour and FF lie so easily. Time to consign them to the dustbin of history.
    Unfortunately at the moment we have very little alternative.
    Wish we had some honesty in politics. Any chance of a new party being formed ?

YWIMC

New political party 'Direct Democracy Ireland' launched in Dublin

darkhorse wrote: »

That story is from last November. The only place I saw them mentioned anywhere was in this thread probably mostly by you.

mikom wrote: »
    Reds Under the Beds.
    Straight out of the Joseph McCarthy playbook dxhound2005.

When the time comes for you to pay up they won't be anywhere to be found, even under the bed.

Next time you meet them on the protest ask them what is the SWP/Trotskyite/MarxistLeninist/Maoist policy on private property ownership.

That story is from last November. The only place I saw them mentioned anywhere was in this thread probably mostly by you.

Your point being.

Yeah, it was mentioned by me.
    They have held meetings in Dublin, but it certainly does not surprise me that you did'nt know about them, because you didnt want to know. Obviously the currentregime suits you for some reason. I will be attending the one they are having in Waterford onthe 12th Feb. For such a new party they are generating plenty of interest in at least 40 local constituencies already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

darkhorse wrote: »

From pictures I have seen of the the launch from different facebook photos-a good few people in the photos I recognize straight away as known members of the local freemen on the land group-I won,t post any links of any photos because of possible legal issues uploading other peoples photos on a public forum-while Im strongly in favour of a direct democracy system like Switzerland and would be in favour of a similar system here-the very fact DDI has (freemen on the land members) I have to ask the question is DDI in anyway linked or affiliated with the freemen on the land group ?

When the time comes for you to pay up they won't be anywhere to be found, even under the bed.
    I won't be looking for them, I accept responsibility for my own decisions.
    Next time you meet them on the protest ask them what is the SWP/Trotskyite/MarxistLeninist/Maoist policy on private property ownership.
    I don't care what their views are on this. They are making their presence felt, and letting our local representatives know what we think of the property tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The LPT is to be given to LA to pay for local services, that is true.

But the central Govt grant to LA will be reduced.

So LA income won't rise, so no extra services.

All this was known from the start.

The LPT is to pay for existing services.

The central Govt grant falls, so helping to close the fiscal deficit.

The LPT plays a (small) part in reducing the deficit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement