Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

dvpower wrote: »
    This campaign is dead.
    Is that why "Calamity Phil" failed to make a planned address at the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel on the Naas Road last weds. Or is that why Gardai resorted to excessive force at a south Dublin protest.

You wish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Then why are you bringing it up again? :confused:

It was'nt me brought it up.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Slick50 wrote: »
    Is that why "Calamity Phil" failed to make a planned address at the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel on the Naas Road last weds.
    That protest was about water charges, not HHC\Property Tax.
    Or is that why Gardai are resorting to excessive force at a south Dublin protest.
    The Gardai knocking a bit of sense into a few protesters is evidence of the success of the campaign now? Lol.

The campaign is dead.

I don't think its a case of needing a referendum to get rid of the Freemen. More that if a few of them are figureheads of DDI, it would probably mean people will be less likely to vote for them or take them seriously.

Who are you talking about. Will you give me names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is that why "Calamity Phil" failed to make a planned address at the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel on the Naas Road last weds. Or is that why Gardai resorted to excessive force at a south Dublin protest.

You wish!

He's been very quiet since his return from Bali. Got himself in very hot water I hear.

• Advertisement

That protest was about water charges, not HHC\Property Tax.
    It was organised by CAHWT, it was a combined protest,
    The Gardai knocking a bit of sense into a few protesters is evidence of the success of the campaign now? Lol.
    Both happened within the last week. Sneer/troll all you like, no suprises there.
    The campaign is dead.
    Meh!

Geuze wrote: »
    Obviously all taxes are paid from income/wealth.

But a property tax does not interfere with the labour supply decision.

I also support a higher income tax rate - I suggest four rates 20, 30, 40 and 50%.

However, people on average incomes of 30-40k should not face the 50% MTR, that should be reserved for high earners.

The current 52% MTR on single people earning 33k or more is CRAZY. Have a 50% MTR, yes, but not on average earnings.

I would join a protest against that.

Normally, it might not, but in a recession such as we encountered, I think so. Everything else you say, I agree 100%.

He's been very quiet since his return from Bali. Got himself in very hot water I hear.

Its been handed over to the Revenue and no longer in his bailiwick
    The campaign no longer have their central hate figure to focus on and they're feeling a bit lost. Most of the recent protests have been at council meetings, even though the LAs are no longer have any power or responsibility.

They've no direction at all. The CAHWT have no planned events published on the campaign website.

The campaign is dead.

Shouldn't be bringing that up tayto, you'll ruin DV's weekend.

The campaign no longer have their central hate figure to focus on and they're feeling a bit lost. Most of the recent protests have been at council meetings, even though the LAs are no longer have any power or responsibility.
    You should take the weekend off and rest. The hate figure is "the tax". The local authorities wil have the power, and be responsible for setting the rate of tax in future.

• Advertisement

You should take the weekend off and rest. The hate figure is "the tax". The local authorities wil have the power, and be responsible for setting the rate of tax in future.
    You must admit, the campaign doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Its the odd protest here and there with a few dozen people turning up.

We were promised all sorts of mass protests at the start of the campaign, but virtually nothing has been delivered. As far as I can see, the plan is just for more of the same.
    And all the while, more and more people register and pay up. You must see the writing on the wall by now. The Government aren't going to be defeated on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Bali, Indonesia?? When?

Bali, Indonesia?? When?
    All those foreign places are the same to our tayto :)

You must admit, the campaign doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Its the odd protest here and there with a few dozen people turning up

We were promised all sorts of mass protests at the start of the campaign, but virtually nothing has been delivered. As far as I can see, the plan is just for more of the same.
    700k+ protested by not being intimidated into stumping up €100 to register for future bills. That's a pretty big protest. If that many hold their nerve, the government still have a major problem on their hands. This government will never see it fully implemented, so no, I don't have to admit anything of the sort.
    And all the while, more and more people register and pay up. You must see the writing on the wall by now. The Government aren't going to be defeated on this.
    With the draconian measurements the government have dreamt up to force this upon us, I think even more people may make a stand, this time around.
    All those foreign places are the same to our tayto
    They're probably all the same to Phil too.... it was, appropriately, "DOH...a"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

on the online form, one is asked to say which way one wants to pay, so if one does not sign the form to allow the payment to be taken, it cannot be taken.

flutered wrote: »
    on the online form, one is asked to say which way one wants to pay, so if one does not sign the form to allow the payment to be taken, it cannot be taken.
    Oh dear God!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

You must admit, the campaign doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Its the odd protest here and there with a few dozen people turning up.

you really are obsessed with cawht! why would the majority of the 700,000 people who are protesting this paltry tax care one jot about a bunch of lying politicians, who are essentially no better than the ones in government? Mick Wallace? are you fcuking kidding me?

We the people will never accept this assault on our home!!!!

bgrizzley wrote: »
    you really are obsessed with cawht! why would the majority of the 700,000 people who are protesting this paltry tax care one jot about a bunch of lying politicians, who are essentially no better than the ones in government? Mick Wallace? are you fcuking kidding me?

We the people will never accept this assault on our home!!!!

The figure of 700,000 is an overexageration. Of those that haven't paid, at least half haven't because they don't want to pay for anything and get everything for nothing. The rest are in the 'wait and see' group and a small minority diagree on principle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Of those that haven't paid, at least half haven't because they don't want to pay for anything and get everything for nothing.

A person who got out a mortgage to house themselves, who are the ones liable for this home tax, get everything for nothing do they?

Mortgage is free?
    Stamp duty was paid for them was it?
    Motor tax free?
    Bins free?
    Petrol, and the duty on it is paid for them is it?
    TV licence tax paid for them?
    Income tax is paid for them?
    Food handed to them each week is it?
    Electricity is free?
    Gas/oil/coal is handed to them also no doubt?
    Im sure there are a few more freebies I forgot to mention.

But thanks for the laugh.

Bruthal wrote: »
    A person who got out a mortgage to house themselves, who are the ones liable for this home tax, get everything for nothing do they?

Mortgage is free?
    Stamp duty was paid for them was it?
    Motor tax free?
    Bins free?
    Petrol, and the duty on it is paid for them is it?
    TV licence tax paid for them?
    Income tax is paid for them?
    Food handed to them each week is it?
    Electricity is free?
    Gas/oil/coal is handed to them also no doubt?
    Im sure there are a few more freebies I forgot to mention.

But thanks for the laugh.
    Her daddy told her that. It's the party line.

• Advertisement

Mortgage is free? Social Welfare housed
    Stamp duty was paid for them was it? N/A
    Motor tax free? Paid out of Social Welfare
    Bins free? As above
    Petrol, and the duty on it is paid for them is it? As above
    TV licence tax paid for them? In some cases, Yes
    Income tax is paid for them? N/A
    Food handed to them each week is it? Paid out of Social Welfare
    Electricity is free? In some cases, yes. Go to the Welfare Officer/St Vincent dePaul with the bill and Hey Presto!
    Gas/oil/coal is handed to them also no doubt? As above

When I was a mortgage holder, I paid all for all the above myself. As an umemployed person, I still pay for everything out of my weekly payment. It's called living within my means.

My Labour supporting Daddy passed away 25 years ago! I'm well able to form my own opinions and see with my own eyes.

The figure of 700,000 is an overexageration. Of those that haven't paid, at least half haven't because they don't want to pay for anything and get everything for nothing. The rest are in the 'wait and see' group and a small minority diagree on principle.

Maybe, but a lot less of an exageration than some of the numbers Phil has pulled out of his @rse hat in the last 12 months.

And how do you make out, that half of those people, who buy their own houses, work and pay all their taxes (bar E2 per week), and do not depend on anyones support except themselves, are the kind of people who "dont want to pay for anything" and "get everything for nothing". :rolleyes:

The people this tax hits most are the very people that do the exact opposite of what you say.

Yes I had that exact same thing written in my initial reply there, but changed it to the current one.

You said half of those that have not paid, want everything for free. I assume you meant half of those liable, which are mortgage holders.

Stamp duty was paid for them was it? N/A
    Motor tax free? Paid out of Social Welfare
    Bins free? As above
    Petrol, and the duty on it is paid for them is it? As above
    TV licence tax paid for them? In some cases, Yes
    Income tax is paid for them? N/A
    Food handed to them each week is it? Paid out of Social Welfare
    Electricity is free? In some cases, yes. Go to the Welfare Officer/St Vincent dePaul with the bill and Hey Presto!
    Gas/oil/coal is handed to them also no doubt? As above

When I was a mortgage holder, I paid all for all the above myself. As an umemployed person, I still pay for everything out of my weekly payment. It's called living within my means.

im lost. Are you saying that half of the people protesting this tax are on social welfare? (id strongly disagree if so)
    if you are currently unemployed and own your own house you should know better than anyone that the property tax will hit you proportionally harder than most.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    im lost. Are you saying that half of the people protesting this tax are on social welfare? (id strongly disagree if so)
    if you are currently unemployed and own your own house you should know better than anyone that the property tax will hit you proportionally harder than anyone.

There is serious confusion in their post alright.

My Labour supporting Daddy passed away 25 years ago! I'm well able to form my own opinions and see with my own eyes.

I'd say if he was around now he wouldn't recognise the party he supported and wouldn't believe how much they sold their souls for.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yes I had that exact same thing written in my initial reply there, but changed it to the current one.
    Obviously don't bother reading posts before posting.
    Sorry if my view on life is not the same as yours. We are not all the same and are entitled to our own opinions.
    Just in case you read this fully, my darling Daddy passed away 25 years ago. He brought us up to live within our means and look at the wider picture.

• Advertisement

Obviously don't bother reading posts before posting.
    Sorry if my view on life is not the same as yours. We are not all the same and are entitled to our own opinions.

You said this....
    The figure of 700,000 is an overexageration. Of those that haven't paid, at least half haven't because they don't want to pay for anything
    Now, you said that, and clearly half the 700,000 you say want everything for nothing, are not in social housing, or else they would not be liable. Can you not see the confusion in your opinion?

If you meant half those that are liable, then social housing does not come into it, and so your claim they want everything for nothing, is silly. If you meant half the people wont pay because they are in social housing, then you cant say they havent payed because they dont want to. Its because they dont have to.

So it is not that I, and others you have clearly confused, have not read your posts fully. It is simply because they made no sense.
    Just in case you read this fully, my darling Daddy passed away 25 years ago.
    Sorry for your loss. But my post was already deleted before you mentioned that.
    He brought us up to live within our means and look at the wider picture.
    The means a person has one day, can change the next. A very simple concept really, and the destruction of the country will change many peoples means for the worst.

So unless people are to live in a tent, a change in means can leave people short of funds to pay for living expenses, even for people well within their means at one time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement