Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

donalg1 wrote: »
    Sure maybe you should be County Manager or a County Councillor then, that way you can decide what the Council spend thier funds on. Sure they could throw it all at the private estate in which you reside.

Or they could just lob it into their expense account. Wait a minute
    :eek:

But you arent paying enough for the services you receive at present and that is the point. Councils are broke so they need to raise more money and thats why they have introduced the HHC.

Just a coincidence that we are giving so generously to bondholders so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

darkhorse wrote: »

The most stupidest statement that I ever heard in my life.

Really and why pray tell is that then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

lugha wrote: »
    There are 600k+ of you little scamps, I doubt that there will be a great problem locating a few of them to bring to court.

Do you disagree that the DPP going after opposition politicians first , would be perceived as political?

If it ain't such a problem finding 600,000 scamps, then why are people who are deceased, people who have paid getting the said 'reminders'???

dvpower wrote: »
    National compliance rate: 63%
    Mayo compliance rate: almost 3 out of 4 (actually 72%)
    National functional illiteracy rate: 22.6%

I'm not getting into an argument with someone who cannot find it in their vocabulary to apologise when they are wrong. The report used the word APPROXIMATLY, not almost. So where you can deduce it to be 72% is beyond me.

LAST comment to you.

• Advertisement

If you had read the story, you would find that Le_Dieux quote is correct, in so far as he has quoted the newspaper article word for word:-

"We havebeen told by Mayo County Council that 63 per cent of households have paid thecharge, but how dothey go about calculating their information if they counted one person fivetimes."
    Nowhere does it say that the writer is referring to the National compliance rate.

Thanks DH. Why do I always get the feeling this human is trolling? If a person cannot comment on a report as it is written, then why do they bother at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

No matter what is said on this matter or any matter, to you, regarding affordability, you and some others seem to just have a problem believing what you are told on this thread

Believing what we are told????? Have you acquired De Valera like powers and can look into the hearts (or perhaps wallets) of the Irish people and enlighten us on their fiscal matters? :)

I have never disputed that property tax will present real difficulties for some people. But there are many different shades of “can’t afford it” Having to compromise on luxuries is not the same as having to compromise on essentials.
    Le_Dieux wrote: »
    If it ain't such a problem finding 600,000 scamps, then why are people who are deceased, people who have paid getting the said 'reminders'???

Because they do not have a complete register and have to make do with an ad-hoc solution. And we all know why they don’t have a complete register, don’t we?

Because they do not have a complete register and have to make do with an ad-hoc solution. And we all know why they don’t have a complete register, don’t we?

Please tell us why they don't have a complete register, would You?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And we all know why they don’t have a complete register, don’t we?

Scamps?

Really and why pray tell is that then

Oh, I think you can work that one out for yourself, that is, of course, unless you dont actually read your own post and think about it before you post it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

So where you can deduce it to be 72% is beyond me.
    Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Household tax is topic of discussion on Vincent Brown at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Hijpo

another 3500 job losses to hit the country, another potential three and a half thousand home owners that cannot afford the property tax.

"they have no choice" as was commented by a pro taxer earlier :rolleyes:

Looks like there will be a huge shortfall in this tax which will more than likely drive the rates up to well over the 300 euro suggested earlier in the thread

lmao 300 euro, it gets me every time,

What about the water rates, it will be some craic making up that shortfall

Doesn,t surprise me to see Eamon Delaney in favour of property taxes-The Irish ferries dispute in 2005 when they tried to drive down wages to below minimum wage levels-on one episode of question and answers Eamon defended Irish ferries fully-I remember Eamon arguing it was ok to drive down wages competion works Eamon said.

Maybe im wrong.... but.... In a debate, arent you supposed to have supporters and an opposition??

And here we have somebody with guts:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/italian-government-cutting-number-of-provinces-by-half-as-part-of-costcutting-drive-3279353.html

Substitute provinces for constituencies, and Hogan, Your on the road to popularity

I have never disputed that property tax will present real difficulties for some people. But there are many different shades of “can’t afford it” Having to compromise on luxuries is not the same as having to compromise on essentials.

There you go again, putting yer mouth in top gear without even reading my post fully. I did not mention property tax in my post.

Now that we re into November-we know the first court cases will be in Mayo-we can expect other court cases in other Constituencies too-when court cases start in your Constituency who on here is getting off their off laptops/pcs and going down joining pickets of support for non payers at the local courthouse ?

Oh, I think you can work that one out for yourself, that is, of course, unless you dont actually read your own post and think about it before you post it.

Ah well I would prefer you to back up your nonsense if its all the same with you.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Now that we re into November-we know the first court cases will be in Mayo-we can expect other court cases in other Constituencies too-when court cases start in your Constituency who on here is getting off their off laptops/pcs and going down joining pickets of support for non payers at the local courthouse ?
    Most of the regular tax evaders on here have already stated that they don't feel the need to protest - you're on your own (you, RBB, Ming, Wallace et al).

• Advertisement

And here we have somebody with guts:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/italian-government-cutting-number-of-provinces-by-half-as-part-of-costcutting-drive-3279353.html

Substitute provinces for constituencies, and Hogan, Your on the road to popularity
    Phil Hogan announced a high consolidation of local authorities last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Because many believe that the House Hold Charge (not tax, so if you haven't paid your not a tax defaulter like some make out) is a rue to get you to register. Once your registered you will then be hit with a property tax and water charge next year. These taxes/charges may end up over €1000 a year for many. That additional €1000 a year will push many over the edge.

When your pushed over the edge it's not a nice feeling. You realise you can have too many taxes where it becomes unattractive to live and work here for the level of services provided particularly in health. God help anyone who gets sick in this country. And we have pumped billions into that department, most going on wages. Taxes are a gravy train.
    No I am saying that this is the way its always been those working and paying taxes have always subsidised those not working and not paying taxes so why all of a sudden are you annoyed about this. And why is it this particular tax you have decided not to pay as a result of the above and not any of the other taxes or charges you pay? (thats a rhetorical question as I already know the answer to it)

The services you receive are not exclusive to your estate you do avail of services once you leave your estate you know? And if you dont think they should inject money into private estates why are you complaining about the weeds in the kerbs and the play area or lack of one and why are you complaining about having to cut the grass yourself?

They cant though and thats the point as a result of reduced funding from central government and reduced revenue as a result of the genius' in the Green Party bringing in their carbon based related tax bands, and also as a result of a drop in the collection rates of commercial rates due to the recession.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's hardly a ruse if they tell us what's going to happen, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

They haven't told us anything, only leaks from differing departments. We have been told it maybe €300 for a 3 Bed Semi, that we maybe paying for the installation of water meters ourselves, why did the planning authority not make it a conditon of planning for the developer to install these? Yet people who agree with the tax seem confident that their investment in the running of their local authority is safe. It is not. Our taxes are still being wasted.

dvpower wrote: »
    Most of the regular tax evaders on here have already stated that they don't feel the need to protest - you're on your own (you, RBB, Ming, Wallace et al).

Oh he doesnt like you mustering support at all

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The fact that the Household Charge was a precursor to a full Property Tax was announced in last year's budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    They haven't told us anything, only leaks from differing departments. We have been told it maybe €300 for a 3 Bed Semi, that we maybe paying for the installation of water meters ourselves, why did the planning authority not make it a conditon of planning for the developer to install these? Yet people who agree with the tax seem confident that their investment in the running of their local authority is safe. It is not. Our taxes are still being wasted.

I thought that was pretty much the normal way, or have you heard any confirmations at all about what exactly the tax rates for everything are going to be next year? Usually, that gets announced in the budget, not months before.

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Chances are if a developer installed them you would have paid for it when you bought the house anyway. To me it seems perfectly normal for people to pay for their own water meters as ultimately the cost would be recouped through the charges anyway if they don't pay for the installation of them.

Nobody. They will however continue their mass protest in the best way they can by doing sfa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Please tell us why they don't have a complete register, would You?
    You know.
    I did not mention property tax in my post.
    You referred to affordability. What were you referring to if it wasn’t the affordability of property tax???? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement