Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Hijpo

That fact that it was even considered is laughable

Im not getting into a debate on the lack of justice in this country, but lets be truthful to ourselfs, the courts and its judges are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Yes I have.
    Honesty is always the best policy so I will use the old " judge, I have hardly any money left to feed my family. I would love to be able to pay this tax :D and I could just about manage 1 euro a week".
    So your policy is to be honest..... So you're going to lie and say it's not the principle it's the money when you have been saying the very opposite all along on this thread? :confused:

I wonder could all you lads arrange to have your day in court together? I'd say there'd be cracking entertainment! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

lugha wrote: »

I wonder could all you lads arrange to have your day in court together? I'd say there'd be cracking entertainment! :D

Sadly, (for you) this day in court won't happen.

I predict a new coalition in govt by mid 2013, with fines and penalties dismissed with the outgoing govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,944 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So your policy is to be honest..... So you're going to lie and say it's not the principle it's the money when you have been saying the very opposite all along on this thread? :confused:

Sense of humour you have not lugha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    Sadly, (for you) this day in court won't happen.
    .... says Ghandee confidently on the very day of the first HHC court hearing :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yes I have.
    Honesty is always the best policy so I will use the old " judge, I have hardly any money left to feed my family. I would love to be able to pay this tax :D and I could just about manage 1 euro a week".
    Things like this are happening in the District Courts around the country on a daily basis.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/26951-debtor-gets-400-years-pay-bill-price-pint-week

Mr Duffy makes himself out to be an innocent abroad who was forced by the banks to borrow €5 million. But as a property developer he was smart enough to transfer everything to his wife to escape his liabilities.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/34245

dvpower wrote: »
    .... says Ghandee confidently on the very day of the first HHC court hearing :eek:

That summonsed landlords already on a database.

How'd those cases go again btw :pac:

Mr Duffy makes himself out to be an innocent abroad who was forced by the banks to borrow €5 million. But as a property developer he was smart enough to transfer everything to his wife to escape his liabilities.

I wonder could Sean Quinn get the same treatment and quote this case as precedence?
    Didn't David Drumm do similar in the U.S. too.

My point was that the courts/judges are gullible enough.

How'd those cases go again btw :pac:
    No shows and adjourned. It doesn't bode well for the defendants.

How did the promise of mass protests you predicted go? Did even a single protestor show up at the court?

Did you actually read the article:confused:
    Yesterday, the bank's motion to transfer that case to the Commercial Court was struck out

• Advertisement

I predict a new coalition in govt by mid 2013
    It is certainly possible that a coalition government could fall at any time, especially in difficult time, but I get no inkling at all that there is any immediate risk of that. And certainly not because of the HHC or property tax, though that might change.

FG are sailing along nicely in the polls. Lab are not doing as well but most of the senior heads in that party are old boys and they know that this will be the last spell most of them will serve in government. I think they would have to be seriously miffed before they would pull the plug.

Sadly (for you) I think it is more likely that we will have a FG led government for the next 7-8 years than any other party.
    …with fines and penalties dismissed with the outgoing govt.
    Possibly. If the new government disregard the legislative-judicial separation! (What sort of strange hawks are you anticipating will lead the next government? :eek:

It is certainly possible that a coalition government could fall at any time, especially in difficult time, but I get no inkling at all that there is any immediate risk of that. And certainly not because of the HHC or property tax, though that might change.

FG are sailing along nicely in the polls. Lab are not doing as well but most of the senior heads in that party are old boys and they know that this will be the last spell most of them will serve in government. I think they would have to be seriously miffed before they would pull the plug.

Sadly (for you) I think it is more likely that we will have a FG led government for the next 7-8 years than any other party.

Possibly. If the new government disregard the legislative-judicial separation! (What sort of strange hawks are you anticipating will lead the next government? :eek:

You are right that the Labour's senior heads will not pull the plug but what they are doing is confining their party to the dustbin as they will lose heavily at the next GE. Their lust for power will cause the demise of their party unless the junior members see sense soon and rebel like Shorthall did.

You are right that the Labour's senior heads will not pull the plug but what they are doing is confining their party to the dustbin as they will lose heavily at the next GE. Their lust for power will cause the demise of their party unless the junior members see sense soon and rebel like Shorthall did.
    I think this was always likely to be the fate of Labour, with or without a property tax. This is a familiar pattern with Labour in the past and indeed with the various smaller parties in the FF led coalitions.

But I think they fully understand and accept this as the Greens did. And given the age profile of the senior people in the party they surely feel they have nothing to lose. Don't be surprised if there is a FF-like retirement from politics for a few of them when the next Dail ends.

I don't think there is enough influential young guns in the party to change this thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Labour will go the way of the pds and the greens.

As for this charge, I still haven't paid it and don't intend to. No
    Letter either.

If those that paid had a pair of balls then it would be gone now. It's ok tho enda got a pat on the head and a lollipop today off angela. So we will keep going the way we have been. More and more tax and no reform or cuts in the waste that is local government.

I think this was always likely to be the fate of Labour, with or without a property tax. This is a familiar pattern with Labour in the past and indeed with the various smaller parties in the FF led coalitions.

But I think they fully understand and accept this as the Greens did. And given the age profile of the senior people in the party they surely feel they have nothing to lose. Don't be surprised if there is a FF-like retirement from politics for a few of them when the next Dail ends.

I don't think there is enough influential young guns in the party to change this thinking.
    CptMackey wrote: »
    Labour will go the way of the pds and the greens.

As for this charge, I still haven't paid it and don't intend to. No
    Letter either.

If those that paid had a pair of balls then it would be gone now. It's ok tho enda got a pat on the head and a lollipop today off angela. So we will keep going the way we have been. More and more tax and no reform or cuts in the waste that is local government.

Labour cannot be thought of as similar to the P.D.'s or the Greens. They have a long history in Irish politics and it is a shame that their current leadership has led their party up the creek on this occasion. There are many Labour people who will soon kick as they see the continuing damage being done to this once proud party of the working man.

http://www.labour.ie/party/history/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I under stand that labour have a long history but as they are now they stand for nothing that I can see. All they do is stick up for fg. They have no backbone. It's all hot air. They let one of their promising Td's resign to protect a minister for health who seems to be up to the same old tricks that we lambaste ff for.

It's just pure and utter corruption from local level all they way up to the dail. And they want us to pay more for it. It's just madness really, they manage to say it with straight faces aswell. ( rant over)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

But if you disagree with Ghandee (and one or two others) on the merits of a property tax then it logically follows that you are a member of FG and / or a government apologist / shill.
    I mean, what other possible explanation could there be? :pac:

In all honesty, lugha, what kind of reaction would you expect from posters, other than to think that you are somehow affiliated with at least one of the two coalition parties that are the government, cause there are no other parties in D.E. that agree with a tax on homes.

darkhorse wrote: »
    In all honesty, lugha, what kind of reaction would you expect from posters, other than to think that you are somehow affiliated with at least one of the two coalition parties that are the government, cause there are no other parties in D.E. that agree with a tax on homes.
    So if you hold a view that coincides with one put forward by a political party it follows that you are somehow affiliated with that party? :eek:

I would suggest that if you think about that for all of about 2 seconds you will see how utterly preposterous this is. What if I agree with one policy of one party on some issue but favour an opposition’s policy on some other one? (as is the case with the vast majority of people).

But let us suppose that it is true. Does it follow that those, including yourself, who oppose a property tax are affiliated with either Sinn Fein or FF? So which is it with you? ;)

And it is a bit depressing, if not surprising, to see so many taken in by both SF and FF “opposition” to property tax. If a property tax is in place by the time either of those parties get in to government, the chances of either of them removing it are as close to zero as make no difference.

Perhaps the sense of grievance felt by those in the wake of broken election promises might be lessened if they weren’t so unbelievably gullible in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

No shows and adjourned. It doesn't bode well for the defendants.

How did the promise of mass protests you predicted go? Did even a single protestor show up at the court?

That's a good point dv I have been reading here for months about the mass protests that will happen as soon as the first case goes to court. Would be interested to hear how many thousands turned up to protest today.

donalg1 wrote: »
    That's a good point dv I have been reading here for months about the mass protests that will happen as soon as the first case goes to court. Would be interested to hear how many thousands turned up to protest today.

How many people here, anti/pro side knew these court 'cases' were taking place today?

• Advertisement

How many people here, anti/pro side knew these court 'cases' were taking place today?
    The anti charge campaign seemingly didn't even know the court case was on today. It is an absolute shambles.

Well I'm sure they would make it their business to know these things if they were truly interested in protesting.

Maybe the cahwt could have informed their 100000's of followers....oh wait sorry 10's of followers. Or maybe the organisers of all the previous mass protests could have informed everyone....oh wait actually nevermind.

Seriously the Irish don't do mass protests and even if every citizen in the country knew about these court cases there still wouldn't have been mass protests. The whole oppositions claims of future mass protests have been a rolling joke for a long time now.

I mean some round here say non payment is enough of a protest I mean what a joke and cop out that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Both of those cases resulted in convictions.

That'll be a great comfort to the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

The anti charge campaign seemingly didn't even know the court case was on today. It is an absolute shambles.

That could explain their absence then.

You should ring Flathan on Psychics Live.

You should ring Flathan on Psychics Live.

Nah I don't believe in all that crap thanks though. Maybe they could tell you how much property tax you'll be paying next year though if you're into that type of thing.

Slick50 wrote: »
    That could explain their incompetence then.
    fyp

Nah I don't believe in all that crap thanks though. Maybe they could tell you how much property tax you'll be paying next year though if you're into that type of thing.

I already know -0-
    :D

I already know -0-
    :D

Are you exempt like Ghandee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

self employed. like most people who are self employed, its hard to take a day off work to go support people who need it most. if i was civil service, i could take one of my sick days or holidays or whatever else days i would be entitled to.

i work 6 days a week, and have never had a sick day. NEVER. i dont get paid if i dont work. no money to feed my kids if i dont work. so for all you guys who are laughing at us for not supporting our fellow workers. **** YOU. you are soul suckers. i am speechless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement