Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

emo72 wrote: »
    self employed. like most people who are self employed, its hard to take a day off work to go support people who need it most.

Those multiple property owner landlords who didn't even turn up to their own court cases really needed you today. And you let them down. For shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

donalg1 wrote: »
    And by the sounds of it many council estates seem to be in better condition than your estate and a lot of other private estates so I wouldnt say there are better facilities and services in them.

Right, I'm gonna make an exception this one time, because I am a good natured guy.

This is the part of your post that I thought to be a stupid statement.

The whole reason why council estates can be in better condition is because the council can send in as many workers as they like, to do any task that has to be done to enhance the appearance of that estate, as they are on a fixed wage anyway, so it gets done cause they have time and resources, whereas private residence home owners do not have that luxury, especially if the majority of the home owners are very eldery and are not very mobile.

So, having said that, it seems plainly obvious that there are better facilities and services in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

dvpower wrote:
    Originally Posted by Slick50 Quote:
    That could explain their absence then.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slick50
    That could explain their incompetence then.
    fyp
    Misrepresented my post more like.... as for incompetence, you can always rely on "calamity Phil"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

lugha wrote: »
    So if you hold a view that coincides with one put forward by a political party it follows that you are somehow affiliated with that party? :eek:QUOTE]

I did'nt say that you were affiliated with either party. What I said was, you could see why posters would think that you could be affiliated with a party that you strongly agree with a very contencious policy of theirs, that no other party appears to agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Am Chile wrote: »
    It seem the first household charge court case gets adjourned due to non appearance of the non payers in court-very little mention of the first court case in rest of the media.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16455%3Acountrys-first-household-charge-cases-appear-before-westport-court&catid=23%3Anews&Itemid=46[/QUOTE]

Seems VERY rushed ( from 3rd letter to the actual court appearance) to me. Really hope the govt team have their act together otherwise they will be the laughing stock!

• Advertisement

I suppose the census is wrong.

For me VK, the tragedy of the whole damn thing is there is NO CERTAIN figure one way or the other - another reason to look on the whole thing as a shambles!

Ghandee wrote: »
    Sadly, (for you) this day in court won't happen.

I predict a new coalition in govt by mid 2013, with fines and penalties dismissed with the outgoing govt.

Fair prediction Gh, but what 'parties' will the coalition comprise of? THAT scares me big time!!

self employed. like most people who are self employed, its hard to take a day off work to go support people who need it most. if i was civil service, i could take one of my sick days or holidays or whatever else days i would be entitled to.

i work 6 days a week, and have never had a sick day. NEVER. i dont get paid if i dont work. no money to feed my kids if i dont work. so for all you guys who are laughing at us for not supporting our fellow workers. **** YOU. you are soul suckers. i am speechless.

Competely with You here Emo. You are a mirror image of myself. Just trying to survive is a battle in itself.....

Thanks for this post!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    The anti charge campaign seemingly didn't even know the court case was on today.

How then, would anyone be there to 'protest'?
    It is an absolute shambles.

You better believe it Buster. :cool::cool:
    Thousands of householders who have paid the Household Charge have received warning letters on non-payment in error.

Local Government Management Agency urged people who have received such letters to make contact with the agency.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Paul McSweeney said if householders do not notify the agency, they will receive a second letter and "technically" could still face a penalty.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1025/household-charge-letters.html

They've threatened to withhold grants, they've threatened to take it from source, we'll find you his land registry (yeah right, good one), we'll get you via utility bills. We'll get you via mortgage relief blah blah blah blah :pac:

They're sooooo great at 'finding' and fining folk, they've even started to find and threaten to fine people who:
    • have already paid
    • have been deceased a number of years.

The shambles starts and stops with the wanker entrusted with rolling it out DV.
    Even an FG party member told VB that it had been a shambles, his words being 'every mistake in the book has been made with reference to the hhc from the start to finish.'

They can't even work with the database they do have ffs.

Couldn't. Run. A. Bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

darkhorse wrote: »
    Right, I'm gonna make an exception this one time, because I am a good natured guy.

This is the part of your post that I thought to be a stupid statement.

The whole reason why council estates can be in better condition is because the council can send in as many workers as they like, to do any task that has to be done to enhance the appearance of that estate, as they are on a fixed wage anyway, so it gets done cause they have time and resources, whereas private residence home owners do not have that luxury, especially if the majority of the home owners are very eldery and are not very mobile.

So, having said that, it seems plainly obvious that there are better facilities and services in them.

So you said my post is stupid yet you agree with it oh ok then!! Seriously I said many Council Estates are better than private ones because some private ones are a mess thanks to developers and non existant management companies, yet you call this stupid. The reason they have better facilities and services are because they were built better in the first place. I fail to see where you disagree with my statement.

• Advertisement

self employed. like most people who are self employed, its hard to take a day off work to go support people who need it most. if i was civil service, i could take one of my sick days or holidays or whatever else days i would be entitled to.

i work 6 days a week, and have never had a sick day. NEVER. i dont get paid if i dont work. no money to feed my kids if i dont work. so for all you guys who are laughing at us for not supporting our fellow workers. **** YOU. you are soul suckers. i am speechless.

Charmingly put there emo. :rolleyes: And who exactly is laughing at you? That you are saying **** you to. And who are the soul suckers you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Couldn't. Run. A. Bath.
    In other news, blinkered poacher in indignant out-burst over short-comings of gamekeeper! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Tell that to the Quinn supporters.

It's also disingenuous to suggest that supporters of the anti household charge were not out in there expected thousands for "Landlords". Since when has this campaign been about support of landlords? It's about struggling families trying to make ends meet. Who have already paid in their eyes enough tax and would rather see real political change and bigger reductions in the public expenditure and not more taxes.

Well I'm sure they would make it their business to know these things if they were truly interested in protesting.

Maybe the cahwt could have informed their 100000's of followers....oh wait sorry 10's of followers. Or maybe the organisers of all the previous mass protests could have informed everyone....oh wait actually nevermind.

Seriously the Irish don't do mass protests and even if every citizen in the country knew about these court cases there still wouldn't have been mass protests. The whole oppositions claims of future mass protests have been a rolling joke for a long time now.

I mean some round here say non payment is enough of a protest I mean what a joke and cop out that is.

In other news, blinkered poacher in indignant out-burst over short-comings of gamekeeper! :P

Only people blinkered are the ones refusing to recognise the wastage going on Lugha.

Charmingly put there emo. :rolleyes: And who exactly is laughing at you? That you are saying **** you to. And who are the soul suckers you speak of?

dv for one. Every chance he gets.

Only people blinkered are the ones refusing to recognise the wastage going on Lugha.
    Seriously. I'm not kidding. A tax on missing the point / deflecting would raise a fortune around here. :)

Seriously. I'm not kidding. A tax on missing the point / deflecting would raise a fortune around here. :)

My point on being unfit to run a bath extended way beyond the hhc Lugha.
    You knew that though. ;)

Those wasting the money could care less. There is still a culture of waste and anyone defending it can only be party to that wastage.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Those wasting the money could care less. There is still a culture of waste and anyone defending it can only be party to that wastage.
    Tax evaders are now giving lectures on wastage. A bit rich.

It's about struggling families trying to make ends meet. Who have already paid in their eyes enough tax and would rather see real political change and bigger reductions in the public expenditure and not more taxes.
    Can you explain to me why, say the struggle for a public sector worker on €35K a year with mortgage, family etc. is any less than a struggle for a private sector worker with the same income and out-goings?

And few workers would claim to be worse off than a now redundant, ex-worker on less than €10 K a year.

But cuts (at least meaningful ones) in public spending means cutting social welfare and public sector salaries. These cuts will come (and they will come because they have to come) but this will be in additional to any new taxes that these groups will be liable for, along with the rest of the population.

It is certainly understandable that any group would seek to insulate themselves from austerity measures and have others pick up the tab. Happily the powers that be, and any other powers that might subsequently replace them, will seek a more equitable spreading of the burden.

• Advertisement

How then, would anyone be there to 'protest'?
    Shouldn't the campaign be monitoring the court lists waiting for the cases that they knew summons has been issued for to come up for hearing?

Were they waiting for a letter from the council to tell them about the cases? *awaits predictable response*

Shouldn't the campaign be monitoring the court lists waiting for the cases that they knew summons has been issued for to come up for hearing?

You might say:

Couldn't. Run. A. Bath.

:pac:

Tell that to the Quinn supporters.

It's also disingenuous to suggest that supporters of the anti household charge were not out in there expected thousands for "Landlords". Since when has this campaign been about support of landlords? It's about struggling families trying to make ends meet. Who have already paid in their eyes enough tax and would rather see real political change and bigger reductions in the public expenditure and not more taxes.

They claimed when the first person went to court their would be mass protests and civil unrest yet there were court cases yesterday or the day before and not even the slightest hint of a protest or unrest. And the answer you get here from those that claimed there would be mass protests is "oh well I didnt know about the court case"!! :rolleyes:

And now you are saying there were no protests because the wrong people were in court, so its gone from a very broad spectrum of possible court cases to a very specific person. Moving the goal posts much.

Some round here were saying they couldnt wait for the first court case to see the effect the protests were going to have. Well I am saying that was never going to happen. Like you said above people are struggling, and working non stop to make ends meet and those that are struggling are hardly going to travel half way across the country to stand outside a courthouse supporting someone they have never met.

Yet some here claimed that this would happen as soon as the first case was brought, I simply never believed this would happen and find it laughable that some claim this will happen "next time".

Were they waiting for a letter from the council to tell them about the cases? *awaits predictable response*

You would imagine that those so willing and dying to protest over this would be making it their business to find these things out. Looks like the keyboard warrior lives on.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

One of many sources. (moneyguideireland is certainly not biassed mind you.)

Don't they freely admit on that blog that they're plucking some figures out of the air?

Don't they freely admit on that blog that they're plucking some figures out of the air?
    Never mind the quality, feel the width.

dv for one. Every chance he gets.
    I'm laughing with you, not at you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16455:countrys-first-household-charge-cases-appear-before-westport-court&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Interesting news coming out of Mayo. Looks like they are targetting the owners of multiple properties first, not ordinary everyday working class heroes. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The judge seems catious to do anything without the defendent being present.

It's also disingenuous to suggest that supporters of the anti household charge were not out in there expected thousands for "Landlords".
    Wait a sec.
    Are you now trying to suggest that the campaign knew these cases were listed and also knew the details (that they related to multiple property owning landlords), and that the campaign made a decision not to mobilise its force of thousands of eager protesters?
    Now that would be disingenuous.
    Since when has this campaign been about support of landlords?
    They made no distinction about landlords up to last week.
    cahwt wrote:
    If ordinary householders, including those in possession of more than one house, receive summonses, we would urge them to contact the campaign immediately on 1890 989800.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You might say:

Couldn't. Run. A. Bath.

:pac:

Whereas those running the household charge (paid state employees) would probably run a bath for a dead person, then threaten them that they must get into the water............. multiple times over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement