Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Le_Dieux wrote: »

You took offence with me when I told you to grow up, yet You also told the 'non brigade' to grow up in a previous post ( famous #1271 ). Anyhow, I'm not going to get into a shouting match over who needs to grow up - you can work out who does - and I'm going to watch the 2nd half of the rugby.

I have already worked it thanks did so months ago. Enjoy the match.

I'm off to the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

So far we've had people being accused of being Fine Gaelers, Civil Servants and now sock puppets. What's next? Germans?

I'm confident a few posters can wear some of them name badges (with pride in some cases) ;)

Edit, actually with some of them flat out denying what they 'are' despite the evidence there to back it up , beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

lugha wrote: »
    Interesting logic! So 600,000 people doing absolutely squat diddly can be interpreted as an active political message being sent to the government?

So can the fact that close to 5 million people are doing squat diddly in protesting as how the government is running the counrty be interpreted as the government having close to 100% satisfaction rating?

Goodness, Enda will be pleased! First, he gets his mug on Time mag. Then Euorpean of the year. And now this! All he needs now is Mayo man of the year to complete the trophy haul! :)

(Mind, I was getting the impression that a few of your lads here were a little less than 100% satisfied with the government? But who am I to argue with your logic. :D)

Interesting ideas Lugha but 5 million people arent breaking the law, non payers of the HHC are in protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Ghandee wrote: »
    Donal and DNC, it must be nice to be in the safely insulated position of being employed in the cs/ps were you are still receiving pay rises (aka increments) pensions, and jobs guaranteed for life.

Of course, our taxes pay for your salaries, so you guys advocating the rest of us to pay this charge is pretty much expected.

(I presume you're public/civil servants, right?)

Ghandee, here's a reality check for you. Civil and Public servants pay taxes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Interesting ideas Lugha but 5 million people arent breaking the law, non payers of the HHC are in protest.
    That they are defying the law of the land is irrelevant. Most (real!) protests do not involve the breaking of the law.

And of course you are making a huge (and I would say false) assumption that all that are not paying are so doing at a matter of principle. Some are. I can't say how many, but I think it only a small fraction of 600K.
    I'm confident a few posters can wear some of them name badges (with pride in some cases)

Edit, actually with some of them flat out denying what they 'are' despite the evidence there to back it up , beggars belief.
    Voices in your head in not evidence Ghandee.;)

Have you given any consideration to my question as to why you think there is a public/private sector divide here when many, if not most, that are not on the “pro tax” side are proposing as an alternative to property tax, er, tax from income?

And of course, I’m fairly sure that most, if not all, making the case for a property tax agree that there will have to cuts in public spending as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

So far we've had people being accused of being Fine Gaelers, Civil Servants and now sock puppets. What's next? Germans?

You could be Russian. :D

Ghandee, here's a reality check for you. Civil and Public servants pay taxes too.

I'm well aware of that dnc, you're lucky that austerity and recession don't affect you though.

Its all well urging us to pay another tax, when you sit in a job for life, enjoying yearly increments while us mere mortals have seen our salaries reduced to 02 levels.

I seriously envy you though, fair play to you, I suppose I'm a bit jealous is all.

Boycott me arse!

One of the dafter things the “no” side are trying to claim (in a very strong field!) is that doing nothing amounts to protesting!

A Boycott would at least cause a degree of inconvenience as products / services would have to be done without, or take more effort to get. The very opposite is the case with the “no” gang. It took effort and money to not protest!

And it is almighty leap to assume that all the “didn’t pay” gang are principled objectors. Pretty much all human life is mixed in there and while I don’t think any have credible reasons for opposing a property tax, some, but only some, may have admirable, if confused, motivation for not doing so.

In that number, as well as the small number of principled objectors, you have the freeloaders, the lazy, the cute hures (wait and see), the mega rich (who will do very nicely ta if there is no property tax) etc. etc.

The HHC / property tax would be stone dead by now if there was any kind of serious, organised opposition to it. There isn’t so its not.

Lol.

You tell Mr Hogan that the boycott of the hhc, and the people refusing to register is not an 'inconvenience' to him so.

You're now telling us that what is happening with the non registering (never mind non paying) isn't a boycott.

If you say so sir.

Lugha's law strikes again.

That they are defying the law of the land is irrelevant. Most (real!) protests do not involve the breaking of the law.

And of course you are making a huge (and I would say false) assumption that all that are not paying are so doing at a matter of principle. Some are. I can't say how many, but I think it only a small fraction of 600K.

Voices in your head in not evidence Ghandee.;)

Have you given any consideration to my question as to why you think there is a public/private sector divide here when many, if not most, that are not on the “pro tax” side are proposing as an alternative to property tax, er, tax from income?

And of course, I’m fairly sure that most, if not all, making the case for a property tax agree that there will have to cuts in public spending as well.

its very relevant, you guys wouldnt be getting so hot under the collar if we werent.
    do you honestly think that all the people that paid did so on principle? Did you pay on principle lugha?

And many, many protests involved breaking stupid laws, we've been through all this before (ie Ghandi(the other one :pac:))

by the way im not sure about your figures. i would think 600k is a little light.

its very relevant, you guys wouldnt be getting so hot under the collar if we werent.
    do you honestly think that all the people that paid did so on principle? Did you pay on principle lugha?

And many, many protests involved breaking stupid laws, we've been through all this before (ie Ghandi(the other one :pac:))

by the way im not sure about your figures. i would think 600k is a little light.

Now now bg.

If Lugha the great says refusal by near 800k of the Irish population to register or payfor a sham charge (named the hhc), are not boycotting, then Lugha must be right.
    :rolleyes:
    Despite me posting the definition of the word boycott for him, he says its not a boycott, and we all know if Lugha says something is/isn't true then its gospel.

Its like when half a dozen or so gave him a summarisation of how this charge was 'immoral', Lugha said 'those reasons aren't immoral'. What Lugha says goes

For clarity, here's another definition of boycott.
    boycott [ˈbɔɪkɒt] vb (tr) to refuse to have dealings with (a person, organization, etc.) or refuse to buy (a product) as a protest or means of coercion to boycott foreign produce n an instance or the use of boycotting [after Captain C. C. Boycott (1832-97), Irish land agent for the Earl of Erne, County Mayo, Ireland, who was a victim of such practices for refusing to reduce rents]

Now, please explain to me, how on earth its not a boycott?

Over to you Lugha............

• Advertisement

ghandee wrote: »
    You tell Mr Hogan that the boycott of the hhc, and the people refusing to register is not an 'inconvenience' to him so.

You're now telling us that what is happening with the non registering (never mind non paying) isn't a boycott.

Ah well, if they had the courage of their conviction and publicly professed their unwillingness to abide by a law (as some public representatives, to be fair to them have done), then yes, that can be classified as a principled objection. And those liable for the charge could do likewise by registering but not paying.

But anonymously ducking your obligations to the state, appealing to the possibility (as you have pointed out), that you will probably get away with it? That’s more in the form book of grubby tax evader and not principled objector.

(Do you think Rosa Parks, who refused to give her seat to a white passenger, did so thinking that there was a fair chance that she might get away with it????

The very opposite was the case of course, as it would have to be and always is, when you are considered people that really are taking a principled stand)

And of course, you continue with the delusion that all non-payers are principled objectors. No shortage of laughs on this thread, that’s for sure. :)
    ghandee wrote: »
    Its like when half a dozen or so gave him a summarisation of how this charge was 'immoral', Lugha said 'those reasons aren't immoral'.

Ah lovely. This ‘aul sh*te again. Immoral why? Because 1. “it’s my house FFS” and “Enda says so”? Now maybe Enda’s word is gospel to you but I half expect people to back up what they say with some kind of argument. Enda didn’t because he can’t. And neither can you.

Jasus. I’m as cool as could be. Even have a couple of beers on the side in case of any of you go raising my temperature. :) One thing about our great little country is that you are not likely to fall down and bang your head with shock at the notion that some think the law shouldn’t apply to them. Alas it is an attitude that is widespread.
    do you honestly think that all the people that paid did so on principle?

I think people have a better grasp on economic realities that most (well all to be honest) of the no side here. They fully understand that even without any of the waste and questionable spending that you lads love to point out, that there is some very unpleasant medicine we are going to have to take. And bitching and whining and griping and looking at the news for the latest mistake or downright cock-up of the government make, and other diversions, won’t change that simply reality.
    And many, many protests involved breaking stupid laws, we've been through all this before (ie Ghandi(the other one ))

And we have also been through the patent absurdity of allowing people the “choice” to break the laws they don’t agree with, other than in very exceptional cases such as where fundamental human rights are being infringed.

Though the “no” side are continually confused by this. We have even some who would condemn Sean Quinn for defying the courts because he felt (and he obviously does) that he is been treated unfairly though they advocate exactly the same approach for those who think the HHC is unfair.

Ah well, if they had the courage of their conviction and publicly professed their unwillingness to abide by a law (as some public representatives, to be fair to them have done), then yes, that can be classified as a principled objection. And those liable for the charge could do likewise by registering but not paying.

But anonymously ducking your obligations to the state, appealing to the possibility (as you have pointed out), that you will probably get away with it? That’s more in the form book of grubby tax evader and not principled objector.

(Do you think Rosa Parks, who refused to give her seat to a white passenger, did so thinking that there was a fair chance that she might get away with it????

The very opposite was the case of course, as it would have to be and always is, when you are considered people that really are taking a principled stand)

And of course, you continue with the delusion that all non-payers are principled objectors. No shortage of laughs on this thread, that’s for sure. :)

Ah lovely. This ‘aul sh*te again. Immoral why? Because 1. “it’s my house FFS” and “Enda says so”? Now maybe Enda’s word is gospel to you but I half expect people to back up what they say with some kind of argument. Enda didn’t because he can’t. And neither can you.

Jasus. I’m as cool as could be. Even have a couple of beers on the side in case of any of you go raising my temperature. :) One thing about our great little country is that you are not likely to fall down and bang your head with shock at the notion that some think the law shouldn’t apply to them. Alas it is an attitude that is widespread.

I think people have a better grasp on economic realities that most (well all to be honest) of the no side here. They fully understand that even without any of the waste and questionable spending that you lads love to point out, that there is some very unpleasant medicine we are going to have to take. And bitching and whining and griping and looking at the news for the latest mistake or downright cock-up of the government make, and other diversions, won’t change that simply reality.

And we have also been through the patent absurdity of allowing people the “choice” to break the laws they don’t agree with, other than in very exceptional cases such as where fundamental human rights are being infringed.

Though the “no” side are continually confused by this. We have even some who would condemn Sean Quinn for defying the courts because he felt (and he obviously does) that he is been treated unfairly though they advocate exactly the same approach for those who think the HHC is unfair.

So they're boycotting?

We're agreed that a boycott is a protest? (a mass one at that)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,942 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It all boils down to many of the population coming to the realisation that they are being scammed by the Govt and are refusing to pay this HHC charge. I heard some people who paid being interviewed on local radio last week and they said they are sorry they paid at all now.

It's a bit like the Gathering thing where they are inviting home the people they failed in order to fleece them. Gabriel Byrne saw through it and they didn't like his comments. Why should the people who had to leave Ireland because of Govt incompetence return to help them pay for that incompetence?

You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Did you pay on principle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

And those liable for the charge could do likewise by registering but not paying.

You are the third person on here who said that you can register and not pay the HHC, lugha. So will you please explain to me how is that possible, bearing in mind that according to the governments projections, the estimated take from the HHC was to be in the region of €160 million. Now, if it was as you say and everyone who was liable for the HHC could indeed register without paying, well, would'nt that defeat the purpose of the government expecting said €160 million. If I am wrong on this, please let me know, as, hearing the same thing from three people, who I perceive to be fairly intelligent, has me confused a bit confused.

Did you pay on principle?

No more so that when I pay for car tax / insurance, TV licence or any payment that the rules of society oblige me to pay.

Unlike Sean Quinn and the no side here I don’t think that a personal opinion that a law is unfair is sufficient to justify not abiding by it.
    darkhorse wrote: »
    Now, if it was as you say and everyone who was liable for the HHC could indeed register without paying, well, would'nt that defeat the purpose of the government expecting said €160 million.

Well the whole point of protesting against any government purpose is to defeat that purpose wouldn’t you say?

And you could register, or at least make yourself known to them, by submitting the form but without payment. Or if you feel the need to register a more robust opposition, write “kiss my arse” in the payment section. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

You are the third person on here who said that you can register and not pay the HHC, lugha. So will you please explain to me how is that possible, bearing in mind that according to the governments projections, the estimated take from the HHC was to be in the region of €160 million. Now, if it was as you say and everyone who was liable for the HHC could indeed register without paying, well, would'nt that defeat the purpose of the government expecting said €160 million. If I am wrong on this, please let me know, as, hearing the same thing from three people, who I perceive to be fairly intelligent, has me confused a bit confused.

In addition DH, they don't get it do they? The goct want us to register - I am of the opinion that the HHC of €100 is pureoy a screen to bigger things, namely, getting your details on a database and then being able to screw you for as much money as possible...and then some.

Also,, we all have heard or read stories of some who have registered getting 'reminders' in the post, and then having to incur extra expense having to contact the authorities(?).

Now, this morning I read the turnout for yesterday is struggling to reach 30%. Why? I have my opinion but I'll leave it to the experts to voice theirs, suffice to say I would have voted yesterday but for the SC ruling on Thursday. But whatever, the govt fucked up over yesterday, just like they have over this HHC.

As said many a time, boys trying to do a man's job.

Why bother is my feeling.......why bother at all.

No more so that when I pay for car tax / insurance, TV licence or any payment that the rules of society oblige me to pay.

Unlike Sean Quinn and the no side here I don’t think that a personal opinion that a law is unfair is sufficient to justify not abiding by it.

PLEASE Lugha, DON'T associate me - who is on the 'no side' - with Quinn. For me, he is no different to the bunch in DE....just wears his shoe on the other foot.

PLEASE Lugha, DON'T associate me - who is on the 'no side' - with Quinn. For me, he is no different to the bunch in DE....just wears his shoe on the other foot.
    Well Sean is bankrupt so you are probably doing a bit better than him on that score. :) And no doubt you are different in many respects.

But with respect to your attitude to the law, you are taking, or advocating taking, exactly the same approach. Sean Quinn believes (and it is quite clear that he does) that he is being treated very unfairly by the law and took it upon himself to disobey the direction of a court (and is now paying for it).

If and when any of you lads are brought before the beak, you tell us (whether you can be believed is another matter!) that you will similarly disobey the court.

Some of your number (tayto for one) have even reasoned that it would be worth taking the punishment meted out if it meant keeping your name off a property tax register. Which is IMO, is pretty much the way SQ is thinking too.

Now of course, I fully expect you to miss the point and starting pointing out the negative impact some of the actions of SQ will have on us all, and other irrelevancies. But your attitude to the law, which is where I am comparing you, is fairly similar.

And of course, the SQ affair neatly illustrates the problem of allowing people to decide for themselves if the law is or is not fair, and abiding by it, or not, accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Supposed to fund local services like lighting, libraries, roads and whatever else.
    And maybe it won't and it'll get spent somewhere else but we're told local services.

Yet people in social housing are exempt

Do they not use these services too? :confused:

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yet people in social housing are exempt

Do they not use these services too? :confused:
    Yes they do. But many of the people in social housing do not pay income tax either. So the argument you make, also applies if local services are funded by income tax, as is (essentially) currently the case.

Well Sean is bankrupt so you are probably doing a bit better than him on that score. :) And no doubt you are different in many respects.

But with respect to your attitude to the law, you are taking, or advocating taking, exactly the same approach. Sean Quinn believes (and it is quite clear that he does) that he is being treated very unfairly by the law and took it upon himself to disobey the direction of a court (and is now paying for it).

If and when any of you lads are brought before the beak, you tell us (whether you can be believed is another matter!) that you will similarly disobey the court.

Some of your number (tayto for one) have even reasoned that it would be worth taking the punishment meted out if it meant keeping your name off a property tax register. Which is IMO, is pretty much the way SQ is thinking too.

Now of course, I fully expect you to miss the point and starting pointing out the negative impact some of the actions of SQ will have on us all, and other irrelevancies. But your attitude to the law, which is where I am comparing you, is fairly similar.

And of course, the SQ affair neatly illustrates the problem of allowing people to decide for themselves if the law is or is not fair, and abiding by it, or not, accordingly.

For me, I take umberage over your assessment of my regard for the Law, of which I hold in the HIGHEST regard.

However, I am not going to take issue on that now. I am however going to REASK a question I asked last Thursdat night,directed at the PRO brigade and of which NOT ONE of You have answered yet ( If You have then I do apologise, I must have missed the response). You say SQ is displaying disdain for the Courts and is paying for it now - and I agree with You on this.

There is however a MUCH BIGGER picture here ( the question I asked last Thursday night): What is Your take on the GOVERNMENT's total disregard on the SC's ruling on the referendum yesterday. No matter what persuasion one is, it is very hard to not have noticed their disregard for the ruling, and subsequent disdain to it's consequences. ANYONE with a brain can see some long very drawn out court cases upcoming over the outcome of this shambolic referendum.

So, SQ shows contempt to the courts, the 'no brigade' ( accroding to You Lugha) shows contempt to the Courts, the government shows contempt to the courts. It's a disaster of a situation, and one the govt have nobody but themselves to blame.

Yes they do. But many of the people in social housing do not pay income tax either. So the argument you make, also applies if local services are funded by income tax, as is (essentially) currently the case.

Prove this please!

For me, I take umberage over your assessment of my regard for the Law, of which I hold in the HIGHEST regard.

Except for the laws you don’t agree with like the HHC which you disobey. I’m sure SQ obeys most of the laws too. And would probably also say he holds the law in the highest regard.

On yesterday’s referendum I have to confess I paid almost no attention to any aspect of it at all so I am only vaguely aware that there were legal complications.

But I would be very surprised if a court directed the government to take a course of actions and the refused to do so. Can you cite the particular order made by the court? I know that there was a finding that criticised government spending on the campaign but I don’t recall a particular court order (i.e. to postpone the referendum for example). But again I admit, I haven’t been paying much attention so can you enlighten me as to what the order was that the government disobeyed?
    Prove this please!

Simple correlation. People in social housing tend not to be very well off and a disproportionate number of them would be social welfare recipients. And as such they don’t pay income tax on their welfare.

Getting it tight?

Park the car up for part of the year, save on insurance and notify the tax office and get off the road status (tax refund discount).

TV licence? Sell your TV. Plenty of ways to watch films/shows without the need for a TV.

Well the whole point of protesting against any government purpose is to defeat that purpose wouldn’t you say?

The hhc is being defeated with every passing day (which you know to be true) the ultimate goal of the govt was a data collection exercise for the property tax.

It'll be kinda difficult to implement such a tax with only a 50% database (I'm being overtly kind here/including dead people etc)

The govt don't know who owns what.

I've yet to see any incentive to me to aid them in this exercise, what with the current wastage going on.

And you could register, or at least make yourself known to them, by submitting the form but without payment. Or if you feel the need to register a more robust opposition, write “kiss my arse” in the payment section. :)

Vain attempt at coercing folk to fall into the trap of volunteering their details up and helping to build 'that database'

The simplest form of protest is working nicely.

Keep up the boycott folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

No you do not.
    Not only are you breaking the law, but you are encouraging others to do so too.

dvpower wrote: »
    No you do not.
    Not only are you breaking the law, but you are encouraging others to do so too.

When our leaders, 'lead' by breaking the law (actions deemed unconstitutional) what can be expected from the citizens?

FG should be used to blatantly disregarding the constitution at this stage.
    A tale of two Supreme Court rulings against government referendum publicity campaigns

NOEL WHELAN

On November 17th, 1995, the Supreme Court found the then Fine Gael-Labour government was acting unconstitutionally in spending public money to support one particular outcome in the second divorce referendum.

The case arose from a challenge by Patricia McKenna to the government’s plan to spend £500,000 on publicity and advertising activities encouraging a Yes vote.

The court found such expenditure amounted to a breach of the constitutional rights to equality, freedom of expression and a democratic process in referendums and put the voting rights of citizens favouring a constitutional amendment above the voting rights of those opposed.

The judgment also said the government had a duty to spend money on giving information to the public about the implications of a constitutional amendment and to explain the referendum.

The implications of the McKenna judgment were both immediate and long term.

The judgment came just eight days before polling. It hobbled the government’s effort for a Yes vote and was a shot in the arm to the No campaign. However, it also set the non-government Yes campaign alight.

Those of us involved at the time in the Right to Remarry campaign vividly recall how the phones hopped and the funds flowed rapidly into campaign headquarters in the days after the McKenna judgment. Up to that point it had been assumed the amendment would be passed; all of a sudden it was in jeopardy.

The implications of this week’s McCrystal judgment, in which the Supreme Court reaffirmed the McKenna principles, will also have short and long-term significance.

It is an embarrassment for the Government that 48 hours before its flagship constitutional referendum on children’s rights, the Supreme Court has unanimously cited it for unconstitutional behaviour in the content of its information campaign.

On Thursday a summary judgment on McCrystal’s application was published in the name of the Chief Justice; full judgments will be published on December 11th. The detailed Supreme Court reasoning will make fascinating reading, not least because it seems to be based on entirely different findings on the facts from those made by the president of the High Court, Mr Justice Kearns, when he rejected McCrystal’s case.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/1110/1224326409758.html

Won't do them any favours. Tut tut tut.

Park the car up for part of the year, save on insurance and notify the tax office and get off the road status (tax refund discount).
    Ah yes. Do without your car to avoid paying the tax!!!!

I could suggest selling your house to avoid paying the property tax. :pac:

Difference between our "ideas" of course is that I DO know that selling your house is not a realistic option for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

When you register you fill in all your details, then you are asked if you wish to pay now or later. If you tick the later option, you finish registering without paying.

• Advertisement

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    When you register you fill in all your details, then you are asked if you wish to pay now or later. If you tick the later option, you finish registering without paying.

Easier option to do as has been done by hundreds of thousands.

That's the beauty of the hhc, protesting against it, means not registering and not paying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement