Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Of course it was taxpayers money. The point is that taxpayers money was given to AIB long before the Household Charge was introduced.

My point being that the household charge, and property tax money, could (and will) be used to do this in the future.

FF, rising again in the opinion polls, spot this a mile off.

Hence why they've now jumped on the bandwagon promising to tax bankers pensions and abolish a property tax.

As pointed out previously on this thread, FG/LAB are losing a lot of the electorate now (needlessly some might say)

Post budget will definitely be a precarious time for an already shaky coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ghandee wrote: »
    The reason the troika are in town is because bankers and politicians and a non existence regulator let the country go to the wall, resulting inIreland losing its sovereignty, and enslaving its citizens to a life time of debt, for the next few generations, a debt racked up by bankers in a private institution. The debt had/has no bearing on the Irish people in any shape or form, yet we're the ones that have been saddled with it by the EU.

The first part of your post, no point going over old ground.

The mounting deficit part of our debt is more than the bank debt but somehow people don't seem to get all worked up about that so that paragraph is inaccurate, simply not true.

As for the bankers, Government went to the banks, a small part of that may have funded pay and pensions, a huge chunk of it went into paying deposits of and keeping the main banks running. Whether people agree with that is one thing but that's what it went on.

Is bankers pay a scandal? I don't think any sane person would say no.

Btw FF hada chance to limit pay and pensions when they were in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

donalg1 wrote: »
    I wouldnt think so you see people can pay the HHC and still protest against austerity

lol what a peach.

you think they are going to take any notice of a protest while they're pockets get filled? unfortunatly the sound of coins clinking in there piggy banks will drown out our shouts.

How old are you? about 13?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

How many of the protestors will turn up on Saturday, 110% regretting paying the hhc would you think?

Who knows I for one dont regret paying it so I cant really answer for others. Who even knows how many will turn up and how many of those that do turn up will have paid it or will have even been liable for it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So we should refuse to pay taxes on the basis of what they might be used for at some undefined point in the future.

• Advertisement

So we should refuse to pay taxes on the basis of what they might be used for at some undefined point in the future.

extra taxes

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

K-9 wrote: »

From a moral perspective, probably, yes. But from a market perspective, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

[QUOTE=Ghandee;81854958

No, go back through the posts Lugha.
    Start with slick, move on through the other posts and how vizzy reached his
    concussion.
    [/QUOTE]
    Didn't realise I had it !

I reached my conclusion as follows;
    Payment of HHC is now a leagal obligation( you may not like it,but it true)
    Any promotion by RTE of non payment marches is the promotion of an illegal act and I don't want my licence money spent on it.Simples.
    As regards protests against austerity,protest away.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Didn't realise I had it !

I reached my conclusion as follows;
    Payment of HHC is now a leagal obligation( you may not like it,but it true)
    Any promotion by RTE of non payment marches is the promotion of an illegal act and I don't want my licence money spent on it.Simples.
    As regards protests against austerity,protest away.

Obvious typo from predictive text on mobile.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that the march this sat isn't an anti-hhc one. Its an anti austerity one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Obvious typo from predictive text on mobile.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that the march this sat isn't an anti-hhc one. Its an anti austerity one.
    Well I think we can all agree that those who protest solely against the HHC have the same moral integrity as those who rallied in support of Sean Quinn? Good. :)

Have you given any thought to my question as to how the grand new plan (you know, the one without austerity) might work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

lugha wrote: »
    Have you given any thought to my question as to how the grand new plan (you know, the one without austerity) might work?

Stop paying senior bondholders and bankers pensions, tax de rich (none of which are relevant to why there's a deficit, of course)

Stop paying senior bondholders and bankers pensions, tax de rich (none of which are relevant to why there's a deficit, of course)

No its tax everybody else but me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Well I think we can all agree that those who protest solely against the HHC have the same moral integrity as those who rallied in support of Sean Quinn? Good. :)

Well lugha, have you given any thought as to how the current plan is working?

Domestic economy in free fall, unemployment steady at around 15% (only because of the amount of people emigrating), more taxes on the way, cutting the services of the most vulnerable in our society while giving pay rises to the PS, bonuses to bankers, and politicians breaking the pay limits for their 'special advisors'. The list of scandals goes on and on....

Yep, we're in great shape altogether after 4 years of the current policies.

The scary thing is that you and the pro taxers actually believe that austerity is working.

Take a bow, then wake up and smell the coffee.

Here's the reason we can't get the deficit down and we have to screw over homeowners... the PS clowns are running the PS circus.

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/20857701/?view=Standard

Not being able to organise a piss up in a brewery comes to mind, an budget overrun of 4 times what the HHC has taken in, LOL!

I propose a 10% reduction in PS pay and an end to increments and allowances.
    I also propose a 5% cut in welfare payments.
    Both of the above across the board, tough sh1te, it has to be done to get rid of our deficit. That's what it's all about, isn't it lugha?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The first part of your post, no point going over old ground.

The mounting deficit part of our debt is more than the bank debt but somehow people don't seem to get all worked up about that so that paragraph is inaccurate, simply not true.

As for the bankers, Government went to the banks, a small part of that may have funded pay and pensions, a huge chunk of it went into paying deposits of and keeping the main banks running. Whether people agree with that is one thing but that's what it went on.

Btw FF hada chance to limit pay and pensions when they were in.

Fully agree with that.
    F.F. should have put a limit on the guarantee though to protect the small/medium savers. But then their friends and acquaintances would not have been happy.

No, we should refuse to pay this tax as it has nothing to do with providing local services and is being squandered by a bunch of muppets!

Haven't paid it myself as you probably know, won't be paying it, and am looking forward to them trying to register a judgement against me after a court case, that is if they can find out where I live or what I own.
    Good luck to them with that ;)

Very good of enda to turn up for the opening of this considering his policy's are probably contributing to the need for such places.

PLANK!

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/20857797/?view=Standard

What's next, turning up for the opening of soup kitchens?

So, a question for the pro-taxers on here (the few that's left).

If at least 600,000 people haven't registered and haven't paid this sham charge on their homes at this stage, how many of them do you think will register and pay it after the 'property tax' is announced in the budget?

Fully agree with that.
    F.F. should have put a limit on the guarantee though to protect the small/medium savers. But then their friends and acquaintances would not have been happy.

If ff had even the slightest ability to think sensibly then we wouldn't be in this mess unfortunately they were unbelievably stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donalg1 wrote: »
    If ff had even the slightest ability to think sensibly then we wouldn't be in this mess unfortunately they were unbelievably stupid.

True but the present Govt have just continued in the same vein. They should have re-negotiated the entire Banking agreement.

• Advertisement

True but the present Govt have just continued in the same vein. They should have re-negotiated the entire Banking agreement.

And the folks on here who think that the present government are 'doing the right thing' probably said the same about FF when the tiger was roaring.
    Our domestic economy is being strangled to death, yet some here think it's the only way.
    Maybe it's the old 'catholic guilt' that's got people that way, you know 'we partied too hard and now we have to pay!'

It is quite clear that Sean Quinn believes he is been treated unfairly. Ergo, he is justified in breaking the law.
    Of course, and as you point out, the no side do not agree with and condemn him as much as anyone else. Surely you can see the inconsistency here? And when there is an inconsistency, that rather undermines someone’s argument.

You say that up there ^^

Then continue to blather on about him here.

I'm not getting paid several hundred thousand euro to do an inept politicians job for him.

Welcome back gerry :pac:

Welcome back gerry :pac:

Thanks G, it's been a while.
    Jeez, what was that with that kr7 and ncd pair while I was away.
    Some messers them two!:D
    Any sign of valetta lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

My God, some of ye would make great spindoctors!

Why do ya say that. It seems to me that if we dont answer a post, there is someone complaining, then if we do answer a post, we are spinning.

darkhorse wrote: »
    Why do ya say that. It seems to me that if we dont answer a post, there is someone complaining, then if we do answer a post, we are spinning.

Your not saying what a pro-taxer wants to hear....

gerryo777 wrote: »

Your not saying what a pro-taxer wants to hear....

Welcome back gerry

Hijpo wrote: »
    Welcome back gerry

Thank's H, it's a bit quiet around here lately, hasn't it?
    I wonder is the penny starting to drop with our pro-tax buddies?

Well tax payers money did go to the banks.

The same logic is, it's going to hospitals and schools but that wouldn't be as eye catching and outrageous.

How can you possibly equate into logic the fact that there can be any cuts to the health service and education(cause its no point in bringing up hospitals and schools, without mentioning cuts), while at the same time some bank pers. and some bank pensioners(from banks that we apparently own) are paid what most ordinary people would perceive to be akin to lottery payouts. No spin, just truth.

• Advertisement

:D Ach, they'll make the retired politicians, regulators and top civil servants feel less reviled, they should all start a group or something.

They have a group, K-9, they are called the elite.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement