Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

donalg1 wrote: »
    Only problem being that they won't care who does or doesn't pay they still get their ridiculous salaries allowances and other perks and even if they lose the next election their pensions will see them sorted for life. They will just cut the funding for services or a capital project so they don't have to take a hit themselves.

And by paying up whatever tax or charge they can come up with will change that how exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Only problem being that they won't care who does or doesn't pay they still get their ridiculous salaries allowances and other perks and even if they lose the next election their pensions will see them sorted for life. They will just cut the funding for services or a capital project so they don't have to take a hit themselves.

you are sooooo close to being on the right side of this argument Donal...:P

You can be guaranteed that because so many people didn't pay the HHC (over 600,000) that when they try to bring in a property tax proper in the budget, it will be set at a far lower rate than it would have been if everyone paid up.

Don't all thank me at once now;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Give it a rest, Guys. The vast majority of the citizens of this country showed that they support the measures being taken to keep Ireland afloat, by ignoring this march today. Some of those that did turn up even booed the organisers! Nothing will make them happy, so let them wallow in their misery. Good Night, all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    Give it a rest, Guys. The vast majority of the citizens of this country showed that they support the measures being taken to keep Ireland afloat, by ignoring this march today. Some of those that did turn up even booed the organisers! Nothing will make them happy, so let them wallow in their misery. Good Night, all.

Good night Mrs Kenny.

• Advertisement

Maggie 2 wrote: »

They booed the guy who represents the PS unions. I'm not surprised.

Good night Mrs Kenny.

Classic.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

bgrizzley wrote: »

you are sooooo close to being on the right side of this argument Donal...:P

As far as I am concerned there isn't necessarily a right or wrong side. People do or dont pay based on their own situations and whatever their reasons for paying or not they will deem themselves to be right.

So one can only make up their own minds on this one and whatever they decide to do well more power to them. That's why I never tell anyone that they should or shoyldnt pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

surprised this hasnt been mentioned

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/property-tax-holiday-to-boost-house-market-3304487.html

sounds like a chance for those who can afford it to "play musical chairs" with their houses and avoid the property tax completely.

surprised this hasnt been mentioned

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/property-tax-holiday-to-boost-house-market-3304487.html

sounds like a chance for those who can afford it to "play musical chairs" with their houses and avoid the property tax completely.

Yea, I pointed it out earlier.
    Another way to pitch neighbour against neighbour.
    It's the FG way.

• Advertisement

As far as I am concerned there isn't necessarily a right or wrong side. People do or dont pay based on their own situations and whatever their reasons for paying or not they will deem themselves to be right.

So one can only make up their own minds on this one and whatever they decide to do well more power to them. That's why I never tell anyone that they should or shoyldnt pay.

Can I ask you a question Donal?
    When did you buy your house?

Two or three years ago now

Two or three years ago now

Stamp duty exempt then?

Not being smart or anything, but you could see why someone who bought before the changes in stamp duty rules and paid a fortune in stamp duty, would be a bit pissed off now they're being asked to pay another tax on their property.

Yeah I was in the gap of the stamp duty and can absolutely sympathise with those that paid it and are being asked for a property tax while some aren't being asked for either. Everyone should have to pay a property tax no exemptions with the stamp duty that people paid being like a credit on their account meaning they could be exempt for a few years since they did buy at the height of the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Maybe they share the same opinion as me and a couple of others here that protesting won't get anywhere and will just fall on deaf ears.

It’s not that it will fall on deaf ears, it is that opposing austerity have no alternatives. Whether you are plotting your way out of a national crisis or cleaning your floor with a nail brush there is ultimately little point is complaining about how bad your plan is if there is either no alternative, or a much worse alternative.

And there does not appear to be an alternative, or not one that we can bring to bear. It is blindingly obvious from the Troika’s dealings, with Greece in particular, that they were ready to pull the funding lifeline if they did not implement the reforms they demanded. It is simply delusional to think that they would be any different with us.

As to the march today, it was interesting to note that 3 out of the 4 protestors interviewed by RTE were protesting against (different) cuts and not the HHC (and the 4th one didn’t mention it either). So it really was an all-comers whinge fest.

And 10,000 people (or even 20,000 if you believe the propaganda of those involved) on a rain-free Saturday close to Xmas (when shoppers would likely be flooding Dublin) was hardly a spectacular. There were far more people at the rugby match about a mile away! I wonder if any of the media, international in particular, will draw that comparison?

But of course, if you have no alternative plan, it wouldn't matter if there was 10,000 or 100,000 or 1,000,000. They may as well protest about the weather. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

lugha wrote: »
    And there does not appear to be an alternative, or not one that we can bring to bear. It is blindingly obvious from the Troika’s dealings, with Greece in particular, that they were ready to pull the funding lifeline if they did not implement the reforms they demanded. It is simply delusional to think that they would be any different with us.

Greece has continually failed over the last two years to meet the reforms demanded of them and they have had their debt written down on 2 occasions. Paddy Irishman has handed over every single cent demanded of him, from debts of private institutions which were transferred to the sovereign and has not got a single break from the troika.
    Keep grabbing your ankles Paddy you gobsh!te

It’s not that it will fall on deaf ears, it is that opposing austerity have no alternatives. Whether you are plotting your way out of a national crisis or cleaning your floor with a nail brush there is ultimately little point is complaining about how bad your plan is if there is either no alternative, or a much worse alternative.

As to the march today, it was interesting to note that 3 out of the 4 protestors interviewed by RTE were protesting against (different) cuts and not the HHC (and the 4th one didn’t mention it either). So it really was an all-comers whinge fest.

And 10,000 people (or even 20,000 if you believe the propaganda of those involved) on a rain-free Saturday close to Xmas (when shoppers would likely be flooding Dublin) was hardly a spectacular. There were far more people at the rugby match about a mile away! I wonder if any of the media, international in particular, will draw that comparison?

But of course, if you have no alternative plan, it wouldn't matter if there was 10,000 or 100,000 or 1,000,000. They may as well protest about the weather. :)

You keep repeating about alternative plans. has it ever happened in the history of the state that a government has listened to an alternative plan? i cant remember it happening once. So whats the point putting one forward?

Withhold your HHC and dont pay the Property tax, thats the only way they will listen to the people they work for.

There's been plenty of other plans and ideas put up here in about 25,000 posts on this subject.
    You dismiss them all because you think you know it all.
    Maybe your the chief flagellator, or maybe your incapable of thinking of any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Go on Gerry, you have an ‘aul go at answering the question. The rest of the lads have come up with squat so far. :)

Our lenders give us they money they do on the condition that we implement austere measures. If we decide (even if we are right) to renege on these conditions, we need to find a new lender.

Who is that going to be?

No offence Lugha, but you are talking a load of absolute rubbish here. Have I not just said prior to this message that I am going up to Dublin? Then you got and say whats highlighted above.

I agree entirely with what Gerry says...and again say, WHY such emphasis on 13.5 billion? It seems to bother You, YOU give an answer if you can. For me, maybe it's time to call Merkel's bluff, and start bandying the word 'DEFAULT' around, and see how She reacts then?

You answer a question then: How can we get people back to work while taking €3.5 billion out of the economy? Yopu seem to think that the 'no brigade' are talking a load of bóllox, let's hear YOUR solutions.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Had to snap this placard.:D

Brilliant Ghandee, this is now my wallpaper.

Thanks!!

• Advertisement

Greece has continually failed over the last two years to meet the reforms demanded of them and they have had their debt written down on 2 occasions.
    Not so. The did a number of times threaten not to implement the reforms but ultimately the did, for the same reason we do, because funding would have been withdrawn if they / we do not. They did get a deal on the debt as we are likely to get too. But that is a separate issue to borrowing money for the day to day running of the country.
    Withhold your HHC and dont pay the Property tax, thats the only way they will listen to the people they work for.
    I am taking about the broader question of austerity and how it can be avoided. Didn’t you already concede that there wasn’t an alternative to austerity? Didn’t you say you could take everything that might be thrown at you, fine man that you are? :)
    gerryo777 wrote: »
    There's been plenty of other plans and ideas put up here in about 25,000 posts on this subject.
    No there hasn’t. There have been alternatives to the HHC / property tax but no alternative to austere measures in general. (Though your suggestion that the EU or anyone, would happily give us billions every year so we can continue to live beyond our means was amusing. But I was hoping for a serious suggestion)
    Le_Dieux wrote: »
    WHY such emphasis on 13.5 billion? It seems to bother You, YOU give an answer if you can. For me, maybe it's time to call Merkel's bluff, and start bandying the word 'DEFAULT' around, and see how She reacts then?
    You seem to be under the illusion that the 13 billion is a loan. And we could perhaps simply decide not to pay it back? Surely this is not what you think? :eek:

I am taking about the broader question of austerity and how it can be avoided. Didn’t you already concede that there wasn’t an alternative to austerity? Didn’t you say you could take everything that might be thrown at you, fine man that you are? :)

doesnt really answer my question, when have the governemnt ever listened to an alternative suggestion?

And i still have no problem with austerity...;)

Though your suggestion that the EU or anyone, would happily give us billions every year so we can continue to live beyond our means was amusing. But I was hoping for a serious suggestion
    That's what is happening now. The longer austerity continues, the longer we will be living beyond our means.
    No growth or further contraction of the domestic economy = an ongoing deficit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'd agree paying more taxes if it promoted growth and created jobs in our domestic economy, that isn't happening though. The only jobs the hhc or property tax will create are jobs for the ps/cs already in the sector.

I note the 'propagandist' remark made my Lugha's law here again, bold claim for a lad consistently trying to inflate our deficit from 13 billion to 20 billion.

I'm tired now, and can't be bothered going through his posts, but I'm sure he's made the '20 billion' remark on roughly 50 times now. :cool:

I'd agree paying more taxes if it promoted growth and created jobs in our domestic economy, that isn't happening though. The only jobs the hhc or property tax will create are jobs for the ps/cs already in the sector.

I note the 'propagandist' remark made my Lugha's law here again, bold claim for a lad consistently trying to inflate our deficit from 13 billion to 20 billion.

I'm tired now, and can't be bothered going through his posts, but I'm sure he's made the '20 billion' remark on roughly 50 times now. :cool:

4 or 5 times today G.

doesnt really answer my question, when have the governemnt ever listened to an alternative suggestion?
    Not sure what you mean exactly?
    And i still have no problem with austerity...;)
    You will. When it really begins.

And when you do you will find the one where I explain why. :pac:

We're following the lead of the 600K anti-HHC gang and protesting by sitting at home doing nothing. :pac:

ONCE AGAIN a pro-poster 'painting everyone with the same brush'. Can any of you lot ever have a constructive argument/debate? Ghandee comes up to Dublin, marches, and then has a meal and do some shopping...WTF is wrong with that? What HE does with HIS time is HIS business - who the hell are You to criticise Him, maggie?

Nothing but twisting facts here ( maggie using corrupt figures to try to argue her point).

gerryo777 wrote: »
    That's what is happening now. The longer austerity continues, the longer we will be living beyond our means.
    No growth or further contraction of the domestic economy = an ongoing deficit.
    So lets say we fully agree on all of this and decide that austerity is a bad thing (and it certainly has a negative effect)

We need to find someone who will fund our deficit with no reform strings attached.

Who? (It's a very, very , very simple question)

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    Any sign of Le Dieux ?

The "no side" must be extremely dissapointed with such a low turnout.
    Even if you take the 30,000 figure as official,then that equates to only about 5% of the reputed 600,000 households that haven't paid.
    Plus the 5% also includes people who turned up today to protest against Austerity,water charges etc.

Why you want to know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement