Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

lugha wrote: »
    That’s obviously a spoof story. Sure everybody knows that RTE are in the pocket of the government and reported the attendance figures at yesterday’s protest that they were told to.

The idea that they would initiate a FOI request to see what their controllers are up to is hardly plausible now, is it?
    :P

Of course we all know we can depend 100% on the fine investigative journo's in "Prime Time" and "Frontline". RTE stated their sources for yesterdays figures on the six one, and nine o'clock news yesterday, including their figure of 18,000.

You have been doing a lot calling for "answers" recently, how about you answering this.... why don't we return to the tried and tested, three tier tax system that seen us through and out of the last recession?
    mod:
    Due to constant trolling and abuse of others gerryo777 will not be joining us again.
    (3) thanks from:
    donalg1, dvpower
    Any examples of this? Can you tell us how DV managed to thank you twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Slick50 wrote: »
    Of course we all know we can depend 100% on the fine investigative journo's in "Prime Time" and "Frontline". RTE stated their sources for yesterdays figures on the six one, and nine o'clock news yesterday, including their figure of 18,000.
    I was just poking fun at the propensity of the no side to see conspiracies everywhere. It is simply daft to suggest that a government agent would try, or RTE would be receptive to, an instruction to report a particular figure. The risks the government would be taking with such a move stacked up against the close to zero benefit from doing so, would suggest stupidity on a heroic scale for them to even contemplate it.
    You have been doing a lot calling for "answers" recently, how about you answering this.... why don't we return to the tried and tested, three tier tax system that seen us through and out of the last recession?
    I think higher income tax will come eventually. Perhaps not with a third rate but in some form. And I have never heard it suggested before that it was a higher tax rate alone that saw us emerge from the recession in the 1980s? :confused:

I was just poking fun at the propensity of the no side to see conspiracies everywhere. It is simply daft to suggest that a government agent would try, or RTE would be receptive to, an instruction to report a particular figure. The risks the government would be taking with such a move stacked up against the close to zero benefit from doing so, would suggest stupidity on a heroic scale for them to even contemplate it.

Where was this particular conspiricy suggested? RTE report the "official" figures given to them, even though yesterday they questioned those figures themselves.
    I think higher income tax will come eventually. Perhaps not with a third rate but in some form. And I have never heard it suggested before that it was a higher tax rate alone that saw us emerge from the recession in the 1980s? :confused:

Nor I. But you have told us on numerous occasions that no one has suggested an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

One obvious “up” is that our deficit is now 13 billion and not 20 billion. And many on the no side fully appreciate this as they insist on using the better figure when if we were to follow there “no austerity” plan it would be the worse one.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I was starting to get anxious when I listened to this guy. He probably has'nt got a clue what he's on about:

The Meaning of "Austerity" SHARE! - On TubeWatcher.tv

Where was this particular conspiricy suggested?
    First here. And hints at the same thing later.
    Nor I. But you have told us on numerous occasions that no one has suggested an alternative.
    I mean an alternative that would avoid the need for some combination of taxes and spending cuts. Of course there are choices in terms of what taxes we raise or what cuts we make.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I pitty anyone on social wellfare who is allready struggling to make ends meet.

This will tip people over the edge..it really will.

So I wonder how much they will cut into SW payments in the budget and then also take the property tax off their SW too.

Has Enda Kenny no shame at all???????

I mean an alternative that would avoid the need for some combination of taxes and spending cuts. Of course there are choices in terms of what taxes we raise or what cuts we make.

But there's no point in protesting or marching to try and influence what those measures will be?
    paddy147 wrote:
    Has Enda Kenny no shame at all???????

Enda's problems run far deeper than that. I blame Angela for making him think he's popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

darkhorse wrote: »
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I was starting to get anxious when I listened to this guy. He probably has'nt got a clue what he's on about:

He's very good on 9/11 too.

http://www.corbettreport.com/911-a-conspiracy-theory/

Not everyone is required to register, only property owners.

Persons claiming entitlement to a waiver are required to register their property.

If you are going put up a link along with your post, I suggest that you read the contents.

I believe in democracy.

O.K., dx. I am liable for payment of the HHC, as I own my own house. My brother in law lives in a council house, he earns three times more than me, he is exempt paying HHC. Could you explain to me what is democratic about that.

• Advertisement

But us crippling our children and grandchildren with public debt levels is even more immoral would you not say?

So, lugha, is the solution to starve the children and the grandchildren?

He's very good on 9/11 too.

Yeah, I heard that.

I listen to about half of that and got a bit bored. Does he say anything in the second half about how you might fund a deficit if the only people who will lend to you insist that you make an effort to live within your means (or austerity, as it is known around these parts)? Cos, that would be very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Persons claiming entitlement to a waiver are required to register their property.

If you are going put up a link along with your post, I suggest that you read the contents.

Shouting doesn't make you right when you are wrong. Persons claiming a waiver have to own the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,939 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lugha,

There is a huge difference in living within your means and dying within your means.
    Many people, as we have been told, are using their credit card to pay for food. That's unsustainable already.
    What do you think will happen after the budget for those poor people many of whom were/are middle income families? Honestly now.

I listen to about half of that and got a bit bored. Does he say anything in the second half about how you might fund a deficit if the only people who will lend to you insist that you make an effort to live within your means?

You still aint listening. I'll say it again. The whole world and his dog knows that the irish goverment has gave themselves rises, gave rises to advisors, paid increments to the higher echelon in the PS, bankers a free for all etc., all this in a humongous recession, ie, no effort at living within their means. The troika dont seem to be too miffed about it.

Now, I put up the link, if you are not interested in seeing it, thats entirely up to you, but you seriously dont expect me to do a running commentary for ya.
    ps. I have always lived within my means, as I'm sure a lot of people have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

See gerry0777 has been site banned completely.

Bit harsh IMO.

Thread in the prison forum now.

Shouting doesn't make you right when you are wrong. Persons claiming a waiver have to own the property.

But the bank owns the house until the person pays the mortgage off in full,no???

The bank is the owner/landlord and the mortgage holder is only a tenant.

Lugha,

There is a huge difference in living within your means and dying within your means.
    Many people, as we have been told, are using their credit card to pay for food. That's unsustainable already.
    What do you think will happen after the budget for those poor people many of whom were/are middle income families? Honestly now.

Cant wait to see the Credit Union report in the new year,after this budget hits everyone in the pocket.

I wonder will any of the goverment then sit up and take notice of the reality and facts of how peoples lives are so badly affected??

paddy147 wrote: »
    Cant wait to see the Credit Union report in the new year,after this budget hits everyone in the pocket.

I wonder will any of the goverment then sit up and take notice of the reality and facts of how peoples lives are so badly affected??

See they (FG) have now threatened to throw the dole on to the table for cuts if labour insist on trying to go after high earners.
    Labour want to raise USC on folk making over €100k per annum, FG though say this is a breach of programme, as both parties had agreed no cuts to dole, and no tax increases during the lifetime of the coalition.

I thought 'USC wasn't a tax' though. So what's the problem?

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    See gerry0777 has been site banned completely.

Bit harsh IMO.

Thread in the prison forum now.

Release the "Gerry0777" 1. He was far too entertaining to ban!

Release the "Gerry0777" 1. He was far too entertaining to ban!

I was over in the mobile forum the other evening and asked one of the posters what he thought of the iPhone 5?

He said I think they're innocent Ghandee! :confused:

paddy147 wrote: »

Not a chance.
    As long as they and their cronies are ok the rest can go to Hell.
    Did you hear them stand up for their people yet in the 18 months + that they are in power? No you didn't, well apart from being told on RTE that it was not our fault but being blamed a few days later while Enda was babbling to people out foreign.
    Did they tell Bord Gais and the ESB to leave their prices as they are because their people are struggling? No they didn't.
    Did you hear them tell any of the state transport companies not to put their prices up because the people are struggling? No you didn't.
    They are withdrawing medical cards from sick people, cutting the carers hours and all the while sending the likes of Fidelma Healey Eames and her buddies on junkets to China.
    Did you hear them comment on the fact that people are now skipping meals and paying for food with credit cards as they have no money left? Not a comment.
    Any comment on the numbers using Soup Kitchens to feed themselves? No, not a word.
    No, what they have in store for us is more taxes and austerity budgets so we can suck it up.
    The average persons Income Tax bill has risen by 2,000 euro since 2010. They have more of that in store for us while they plan their Christmas Holiday and plan for their St. Patrick's Day junkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Ghandee wrote: »
    See they (FG) have now threatened to throw the dole on to the table for cuts if labour insist on trying to go after high earners.
    Labour want to raise USC on folk making over €100k per annum, FG though say this is a breach of programme, as both parties had agreed no cuts to dole, and no tax increases during the lifetime of the coalition.

I thought 'USC wasn't a tax' though. So what's the problem?

it reminds me of that song where the Devil and Jesus are playing poker for the souls of the people, only there aint no Jesus...

Lugha,

I think the real difficulties (as in widespread) have not really begun in earnest yet. Unfortunately, it is going to get an awful lot worse. Have you any practical ideas as to how we might avoid these problems?
    ps. I have always lived within my means, as I'm sure a lot of people have.
    I’m guessing the answer to my question then is no, he doesn’t tell us who will continue to give us money with no strings attached if we insist on spending more than we raise. (And you personally may live within your means, we as a country do not)

Mr Kenny told me on my telivision,that I was not to blame for all of this.

Thats great........(but the man is still making me pay for it,as if it was and is my fault)

So why cant/wont the goverment politicians lead by example then???

Why dont they all take pay cuts,chop down their advisors salaries,stop with all these stupid and excessive perks/claims??

The goverment should lead by example and stop filling up their own pockets even more

I think the real difficulties (as in widespread) have not really begun in earnest yet. Unfortunately, it is going to get an awful lot worse. Have you any practical ideas as to how we might avoid these problems?

I’m guessing the answer to my question then is no, he doesn’t tell us who will continue to give us money with no strings attached if we insist on spending more than we raise. (And you personally may live within your means, we as a country do not)

The Govt are not showing example.
    They should half the number of T.D.'s and do away with the Seanad.
    Stop the junkets, cronyism and scrap many of the quangos.
    Only vouched allowances.
    Cap wages at the top of the PS at 120 k.
    Scrap children's allowance for those earning over 70k per family.
    Refuse to pay the 3.1 billion to the bondholders in March. If we have to pay it, which I don't agree we have to, then it should be spread out over at least 10 years.
    Pump 6 billion from the Pension Fund into job creation.
    Make the banks loan to SME's. ( A man in a bureau-de-change told me that he can't get his hands on euro as the banks are hoarding and refusing to hand out).

The country needs a lift. People are going around with their heads down in a kind of depression. Nobody is smiling anymore.
    People are wondering if our Govt are actually representing us as citizens or the Germans and rightly so.

What is your solution Lugha?

Only vouched allowances.
    Refuse to pay the 3.1 billion to the bondholders in March. If we have to pay it, which I don't agree we have to, then it should be spread out over at least 10 years.
    Make the banks loan to SME's. ( A man in a bureau-de-change told me that he can't get his hands on euro as the banks are hoarding and refusing to hand out).

The country needs a lift. People are going around with their heads down in a kind of depression. Nobody is smiling anymore.
    People are wondering if our Govt are actually representing us as citizens or the Germans and rightly so.

Here here indeed

Ever think of running for election??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Only vouched allowances.

Here,here, also no property tax until the economy has stabilized and started to grow again.

• Advertisement

The Govt are not showing example….
    You original post that I responded to highlighted the difficulties that people are and will be facing because of the austerity measures that have been introduced and will be again next week. I asked if you had an alternative to these.

The only parts of your post that addressed this (i.e. cutting the cost of the political establishment etc.) would not come anywhere close to being enough to avoid the need for a very harsh budget next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement