Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

bit of an insult to monkeys if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,938 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    And rightly so! Have a hunch they'll be another PD in the making, unless they either 1) ditch the BMW chauffeur driven gombeen of a leader ( and promote Róisín Shortall ) or 2)Wake up and reign the fg'ers in. But of course, what does gilmore worry about? He'll have a fat pension for life.

Grrrrr:mad:

I think that Labour councillor has been reading the comments on Boards. The penny is slowly dropping for many of them. They realise that if they don't jump ship they will go down along with the mad captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

I think that Labour councillor has been reading the comments on Boards. The penny is slowly dropping for many of them. They realise that if they don't jump ship they will go down along with the mad captain.

A very distinct possibility, Labour seem to be receiving more of the flack for Fine gael policies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Naw,much more mundane than that.
    He got the hump with Gilmore cos he wouldn't come down last year when Cllr Ryan was Mayor but he is coming down soon to commerate 100 years of Labour when the Mayor is a WUAG councillor(i.e one of Seamus Healy TD's crowd)
    BTW Darren Ryan started his "career" as a WUAG councillor as did Phil Prendergast MEP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ah, don't be so hard on him.

Anyone can make a mistake, ain't that right dx?

If I pointed out your inability to spell monkeys correctly I would get into trouble. So I will just ask are you of such superior intelligence yourself that you feel free to issue this sort of abuse? Would you like to be called and idiot?

Think before you type auld hand. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Wasn't this guy one of the experts who consistantly got ESRI forcasts drastically wrong for years, continuosly revising their predictions to try and reflect the reality?. Telling us our housing market was heading for a soft landing, untill they finally realised it had crashed eighteen months beforehand.

He's been keeping his head down for a while now, should have stayed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Slick50 wrote: »
    Wasn't this guy one of the experts who consistantly got ESRI forcasts drastically wrong for years, continuosly revising their predictions to try and reflect the reality?. Telling us our housing market was heading for a soft landing, untill they finally realised it had crashed eighteen months beforehand.

Expert shite talker by the looks of it.
    Blind leading the blind DoesNotCompute.

In April 2007, RTE aired a programme as part of its Future Shock series called Property Crash. In the documentary Richard Curran, of the Sunday Business Post, attacked the notion that there would be a soft landing as house prices were beginning to peak, predicting it was more likely that the drop would be in the region of 30%.

John FitzGerald, an ESRI economist, stated in a rebuttal of Property Crash that if he believed there was such a crash coming he would sell his house and rent it back. Going on to say he hadn’t done this because he thought that if it did happen it would do so in a patchy, selective way.

http://www.businessandfinance.ie/bf/2011/6/intsfeatsjune2011/propertyunfaircommentnybergand

Slick50 wrote: »

He's been keeping his head down for a while now, should have stayed down.

Sure aren't the people who were at the top of Banking still at the top of Banking and the same Banking Board of Anglo, like Alan Dukes, still there too.
    I even see "economists" like Jim Power who predicted a very soft landing sneaking back onto our t.v. screens too. How is he getting airtime after his past predictions? Prats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Sure aren't the people who were at the top of Banking still at the top of Banking and the same Banking Board of Anglo, like Alan Dukes, still there too.
    When was Alan Dukes 'at the top of Banking' before the crisis?

He was one of the people appointed to try to clean the mess up.

dvpower wrote: »

Apologies then. I thought he was there all along.
    Any progress report on the cleaning up?

• Advertisement

Apologies then. I thought he was there all along.
    Any progress report on the cleaning up?

Yes.

Last month he reported a much reduced estimate in the total cost of winding down the IBRC.

What exactly (dumb it down for me if you want) makes him suitably qualified to clean 'the mess' up ?

Yes.

Last month he reported a much reduced estimate in the total cost of winding down the IBRC.

I think they should have let that bank die. They have no high street branches and were used by speculators and politicians it seems. They could have guaranteed depositors at 100/150k. Very corrupt practices in Anglo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

I even see "economists" like Jim Power who predicted a very soft landing sneaking back onto our t.v. screens too. How is he getting airtime after his past predictions? Prats.

They obviously really do believe we have short memories. How are they still in these positions?
    dvpower wrote:
    Yes.

It may be only €25billion, great job.

Ghandee wrote: »
    What exactly (dumb it down for me if you want) makes him suitably qualified to clean 'the mess' up ?
    I don't know exactly what qualifications are required to do a job that is pretty much unprecedented in Irish history, but he seems to be making a pretty good job of it. I haven't heard any serious criticism of him from any quarter.

I think they should have let that bank die. They have no high street branches and were used by speculators and politicians it seems. They could have guaranteed depositors at 100/150k. Very corrupt practices in Anglo.
    I'm sure we would all like to know exactly why the two Brian's guaranteed Anglo. Quite possibly the dumbest decision in Irish history.

I don't know exactly what qualifications are required to do a job that is pretty much unprecedented in Irish history, but he seems to be making a pretty good job of it. I haven't heard any serious criticism of him from any quarter.

Well, he's not exactly washing his dirty linen in public.

Quite the opposite actually.

He seems to be playing his cards close to his chest.
    The chairman of the former Anglo Irish Bank told Finance Minister Michael Noonan that he would not put anything in writing regarding the controversy over the bank’s relationship with developer Paddy McKillen.

Chairman Alan Dukes wrote to Mr Noonan saying he was not prepared to divulge any information by letter for fear the correspondence would enter the public domain through a Freedom of Information request.

Instead, Mr Dukes – a former Fine Gael leader – suggested ‘a private conversation’ regarding the controversy.

No records, memos, or minutes of the discussion between Mr Dukes and Mr Noonan were kept, raising concerns that the Department of Finance was party to efforts to circumvent FoI legislation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2167097/Chairman-Alan-Dukes-tells-Michae-Noonan-I-wont-reply-writing.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

How can we defer austerity and debt at the same time - doesn't deferring further debt mean also deferring further borrowing (which means more, not less, austerity)?
    Or are you suggesting that our lenders should just let us off the repayments and continue to give, not lend, us further money?

As a little test, you might ask your grandson to simply hand over his pocket money to you from now on with no promise to pay him back. I think I know what little Gunter's response will be.
    lugha wrote: »
    So if problems can be eased by simply "putting forward proposals" then why do we have many people (and the number will grow) struggling with mortgages? After all, according to your logic, all they need do is do to their lender and put some proposal to them, perhaps pointing out (truthfully) that they are struggling desperately to keep up payments? Hey, maybe you have solved our mortgage crisis? :)

Alas of course, you can put all the proposals (even good ones) you want to your bank manager, he is going to do what is in the bank’s best interest (which occasionally will also be in your best interests, but that would be coincidental). Now if you actually had some leverage, something to bargain with, the game might change. You could go nuclear I suppose and rob the bank?? :)

And it is the very same with the government’s dealing with the Troika. I simply do not see anything substantial we can use to bargain with. Then can hurt us a lot more than we can hurt them. I suppose we too could go nuclear and invite perhaps the North Koreans or Chinese to set up a massive military base in Wexford ……. ;)

There are always people who struggle financially, that was so even during the boom. But I think you are badly mistaken if you think we have reached the lowest point, it hasn’t really started proper yet. It will get much, much worse before it gets better. :(

Finallly!!!! The penny drops! :)

Oh wait, it doesn’t!

Whoever we vote into power only has very little influence on the path we take through the crisis. Everybody points out that the current government is taking almost exactly the same approach as the last one but fail to see the reason why they do. Which is because there is no real alternative.

It would be nice if we could take an a la carte approach to the problem and say for example, we would like you to keep lending us money so our economy doesn’t collapse completely but we don’t particularly like to have to reform our finances. And we definitely don’t want to have to take on banking debt and pay all those horrid bondholders.

Once again, I would point out that the Greeks, for all their protests (far more vociferous that ours) ultimately had to accept the reforms demanded of them. Had they not, it was obvious that the Troika were prepared to cut the funds that are keeping them afloat and let them fend for themselves. The deals they are getting are in relation to their debt. If they wanted more money lent to them, they had to put their house in order. Nobody wants to throw good money after bad.

If anyone thought that this, or any other government, had some painless way out of the current crisis, then yes, they certainly were delusional. But I think most people know the score.

The government parties, and the smaller one’s in particular, always take a hit in the local elections, even when times are good. This seems to be a universal phenomena seen in many democracies.

And yes, there are politicians in every party who don’t have the cahunas for making, or standing over, the tough decisions. Nothing new there either. :)

Alas, yis are both right. How presumptuous of me to expect that either one of our leaders would, as you would put it, have the cahunas, to actually represent us on the world stage. There is no point in them rocking the boat, though, especially when they are so near to securing their pension rights for the remainder of their lives.
    By the way, vd, I did put that prosposal that you mentioned to little gunther, and his response was, "Gramps, you know that I would hand over my pocket money to you every week if you were stuck, no problem, just dont make any promises if you think that there is a chance that you can't keep them", I said to him that noone would make promises to people and not keep them, forgetting all about kenny and gilmore. What are they teaching them in school these days.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Well, he's not exactly washing his dirty linen in public.

Quite the opposite actually.

He seems to be playing his cards close to his chest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2167097/Chairman-Alan-Dukes-tells-Michae-Noonan-I-wont-reply-writing.html

he's pretty well paid for what namawinelake call a part time job, E150,000 last year (nice money with his pension of E130,000.)
    i wouldnt rock any boats either if i was him...

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-public-interest-directors-in-our-banks-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    There is still the matter of 3.5 billion to be paid to our own central bank at the beginning of 2013.

On that note, could anyone here tell me exactly what is going to happen to that 3.5 billion. Preferably , lugha tell us.

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »
    he's pretty well paid for what namawinelake call a part time job, E150,000 last year (nice money with his pension of E130,000.)

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-public-interest-directors-in-our-banks-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

All members of defunct Banks, Building Societies and former politicians = Gravy Train in my eyes. Some of them were even involved in Banks where corruption was rife and didn't spot it so how are they qualified to be directors of this clusterfcuk?

bgrizzley wrote: »

Alan Dukes is no longer a public interest director. He is chairman of the IBRC.

Why do you think Alan Dukes specifically works only part time?

What people don't seem to understand is that we'd need to be vastly, vastly more screwed than we are to get anything like a deal that Greece just got.

And that even with that deal, Greece is still in a much worse position than we are in right now.

We're Already worsr off than the greeks! « Awaken Longford

Alan Dukes is no longer a public interest director. He is chairman of the IBRC.

Why do you think Alan Dukes specifically works only part time?

thanks for the clarification.
    i dont specifically, i was going by the article. im probably just a little sceptical of all politicians:eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Debt to GDP ratio is the one you have to look at.

In order to get to where Greece is, our government would probably need to engage in a massive splurge of fiscal irresponsibility that would make the first Haughey government look parsimonious by comparison.

Do ya mean like maybe taking too much out of the economy.

Given the weakness of the global economic outlook, the OECD warned governments against being too zealous in their belt-tightening efforts and recommended that Germany and China even pursue temporary stimulus spending to revive growth.
    The German central bank has been a vocal opponent of the ECB taking further exceptional actions to get the debt crisis under control, in part because of concerns that additional liquidity could boost inflation.
    "We think fears that excessive liquidity could fuel inflation in the short term are misplaced," Padoan said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Worth a read, page 11 onwards has about 20 ways to raise 2.9bn to 3.5bn
    Estimate figures based on a dept of finance study

no reason why government cant implement most if not all those recommendations

http://www.siptu.ie/media/publications/file_16729_en.pdf

Hijpo wrote: »

Amazing the way that Fitzgerald lad comes out touting property tax when his own ESRI came out with this which could realise 6 times what the HHC has brought in.

Financial Transaction Tax (FTT)
    The FTT tax is being implemented
    in ten EU states, with Ireland
    following the UK in opting
    out. Congress believes Ireland
    will implement it shortly as part
    of a quid pro quo on relief on
    bank debt in a show of solidarity
    in Europe.
    Potential Revenue: €400-600m
    (Estimate based on ESRI/Central
    Bank report, EU Commission
    Report, Congress report
    and Tax Injustice from TASC

EDIT
    misread, its from esri numbers not their idea

Well we certainly wont get a deal if it is seen that ireland has enough money to be wasted on bloated pensions, salaries and allowances

I got a phone call this evening, H, from a canadian guy who I got to know some years back, we still keep in touch from time to time. He asked me if we are really earning so much money, that our government could put so much austerity upon us. When I tried to explain to him how things work in this country, ie, the unployment figures, soup kitchens, emigration etc, and thing worsening for a lot of people, he said to me, Its time to take your country back, and went on to tell me how it is not the people's debt, it is bank debt and you are all being taken for a ride. I said to him, well, there is probably nothing more they can do. He then said to me, you know they got off to a bad start in the first place, for instance, when that guy put your guy in a headlock, then your guy should have beat him to a pulp, then they would know not to mess you guys about. Anyway, that is an exerpt of our conversation, but apparently, according to him, we are the punch bag of europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Lots in there to admire but it would make the people who would be worse off very unhappy, nothing new there. The only thing I don't see (surprisingly from a socialist analysis) is a wide ranging private property tax. This is the tried and tested model giving a guaranteed long term income stream not easily open to evasion in practically every other developed country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement