Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

lugha wrote: »
    Well let's wait and see if he denies it first? :)

While your waiting, maybe you might have a stab at my question as to why there is such disapproval of providers of rental accommodation? (As someone who would appear to hold them in such low regard:))

Is this me that has to deny something?

What we drinking tonight Lugha? (in a non sarcastic way)

I've a few IPA's chilling.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

lugha wrote: »
    Well let's wait and see if he denies it first? smile.png

While your waiting, maybe you might have a stab at my question as to why there is such disapproval of providers of rental accommodation? (As someone who would appear to hold them in such low regardsmile.png)

ok.
    i dont dislike them personally, but i do dislike the fact that they are getting a free pass on this "wealth" tax, while some people have the neck to call my home a "wealth asset".
    Also as a business their properties shouldnt have been lumped in with the HHC(household). You know as well as i do that if it wasnt for landlords rushing out to register for a tax that they could pass on to their tenants this charge would be buried by now(the numbers of ordinary one house homeownerss not paying far outweighs the businessmen payers(the only wise move FG made in regard to this tax)).

Aside from that, good on them for providing a necessary service in a country that stifles enterprise at every hands turn with needless redtape, rules regulations and charges.

if you are talking of a general dislike for landlords in Ireland in general, i imagine an argument could be made that the collective memory of the country may reflect on times past when absentee landlords had men women and children evicted onto the side of the road to starve, meanwhile burning the thatch off the roof in anticipation that they may seek shelter when their thugs had departed the scene.

i cant see it myself though, i've all ways got on well with minewink.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Ghandee wrote: »

Homage to Arthur tonight! :)

So you lads and your questions will have to keep! ;)

i'm currently on one called Svyturys Baltijos Dark Red. im making the most of it before the lid tax comes in...

bgrizzley wrote: »
    i'm currently on one called Svyturys Baltijos Dark Red. im making the most of it before the lid tax comes in...

Seen them in Tesco a few weeks back, was tempted....

Slightly ot, but if you like a good beer, I strongly recommend IPA, sierra Nevada in particular are very very good.

I've a few in the fridge to Polish off, followed by a few Erdingers.

Daughters baptism tomorrow, twenty burly Derry folk due down tomorrow to terrorise Kildare lol:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

My parents did not register but got a letter a few weeks ago about it. They could have held out longer but did not want to pay more in interest payments

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    My parents did not register but got a letter a few weeks ago about it. They could have held out longer but did not want to pay more in interest payments

Good on them!! but tell them hold out a little longer, if they can put up with the government threats.

this tax should be gone by the next election and as it stand is basically just a register for people who dont mind paying extra(no good giving the next shower of chancers a list of people who like paying more for nothing ):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Lisa2011 wrote: »

I'm still waiting for my first letter. Perhaps dv could answer why I ( who hasn't paid) never got a letter, while some others who have paid, even died, have?

Remember you are the one who says they are always right, so now is your chance.

dvpower wrote: »
    Thanks. I know.

That's generally considered a good thing.

Without wanting to undermine a Mod, to think that someone of this intellect and attitude can post away while someone who never ( as far as I am aware) insulted anyone personally is banned.

Slightly ot, but if you like a good beer, I strongly recommend IPA, sierra Nevada in particular are very very good.

Daughters baptism tomorrow, twenty burly Derry folk due down tomorrow to terrorise Kildare lol:pac:

Should I send the riot squad 10 kms up the road then Gh?:)

Hope You have a great day, and it isn't too cold for the 'Lil one'!

• Advertisement

Thanks. I know.

That's generally considered a good thing.

Again taking half a sentence to suit your own self gloried means.

Please refrain from using ANY of my posts in future to satisfy your craving of rightousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Given that we're not the first country to introduce a property tax, I can't imagine that it will be rocket science to devise a system whereby all citizens can value their houses for its purposes.

But, Vlad, I was led to believe that every other country already had property tax. That being the case, we in fact are the first country to introduce a property tax in a recession, where I would go as far as to say, that more than one third of the workforce in this country will not have the any extra income in which to pay a property tax with. Would I be right on this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Please use ANY of my posts in future to satisfy your craving of rightousness.
    Strange request.
    Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Without wanting to undermine a Mod, to think that someone of this intellect and attitude can post away while someone who never ( as far as I am aware) insulted anyone personally is banned.
    I'm as shocked as you are.

sounds good, will give a search in the local offie (if the vintners allow them to stay open:rolleyes:).

5 for E10 in tesco for the other, nice beer and a lot better value than 2 pints of watery slop at the local.

Best of luck to her, enjoy the party!!

I'm as shocked as you are.

Stop the press, DV wants Gerry back!! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Stop the press, DV wants Gerry back!! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I stopped commenting on any of your posts here when you called me a liar weeks ago and I won't be resuming. But in the alcohol fuelled spirit of detente which seems to have broken out briefly, here is something you might like.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-bib-I-Love-Ghandee/dp/B009LLA8EC

I stopped commenting on any of your posts here when you called me a liar weeks ago and I won't be resuming. But in the alcohol fuelled spirit of detente which seems to have broken out briefly, here is something you might like.

I'll get you one for Christmas Dx :D

Wear it when you're gobbling the turkey :pac:

A sure I think we should all just chill out and post away without being stuck on past postings.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    A sure I think we should all just chill out and post away without being stuck on past postings.

yeah it all gets a bit too serious here at times, you'd think the country was fcukt way we go on sometimes:eek:

• Advertisement

Just for the record, I apologise for calling you a liar.

I do not go out of my way to be rude to anyone on this thread. Seriously.

(and this isn't the beer talking, I've only just opened one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You should stand for election to your local council and put a stop to the waste.

What, and stand against Young Fine Gaelers being groomed for council seats like yourself? :D

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    What, and stand against Young Fine Gaelers being groomed for council seats like yourself? :D
    Ah, thanks.

Just for the record, I apologise for calling you a liar.

I do not go out of my way to be rude to anyone on this thread. Seriously.

(and this isn't the beer talking, I've only just opened one.)

Its when your on your 10th i want too see the postings:D

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Its when your on your 10th i want too see the postings:D

Lol, I'm the kind of guy that wants his bed after a few !

A 2 year old and an 8 week old will do that to a man! They dont get the whole Saturday/Sunday /bank holiday thing!

Lol, I'm the kind of guy that wants his bed after a few !

I know, Im like that myself after a lot less than I used to be, these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Bg, dx in particular constantly needs reminding and correcting.

Much like a TD:D

C'mere I wanna ask ya something, G. I'm doin a survey for someone who asked me a question. Now, I seen your post on regional and district rates in NI, and my question is, do they have property tax also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Has it actually sunk in with you yet that this tax (if it survives) will be continuous, rising on a yearly basis? The auctioneer may be dear this year, but he wont be back next year, and the year after and the year after that and so on and so on, each time with an increased fee.

And before someone asks me how I know that?

Ask yourself this, when was the last time you seen car tax go down?

Half term next year at a low rate to get you suckers, eh, sucked in.

You were warned! :pac:

Well aware of that, Ghandee. But you could make the same argument for income tax, carbon tax, capital gains tax, capital aquisitions tax, motor tax, VAT, VRT, inheritance tax, universal social charge, pension levies, insurance levies, DIRT, stamp duty, or any other of the litany of taxes payable in Ireland.

By your logic, why bother paying any taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Well aware of that, Ghandee. But you could make the same argument for income tax, carbon tax, capital gains tax, capital aquisitions tax, motor tax, VAT, VRT, inheritance tax, universal social charge, pension levies, insurance levies, DIRT, stamp duty, or any other of the litany of taxes payable in Ireland.

What I would like to know is where do you expect people to keep coming up with more and more money from to pay whatever new BS taxes this shower bring in?

I just cant figure out why ye want to pay more for nothing extra. You wouldnt do that in any shop and Im sure you would shop around to get a better deal. The petrol prices on the forecourt determine whether or not I buy there but I often see people filling up in the station across the road that charge 5c more per litre so I guess its an intelligence issue or something :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

This tax, unlike most of the others could be defeated/postponed until it has been thought through thoroughly and fairly.
    It could directly be linked to the service is supposedly going to fund.
    It could and should be used to improve the living conditions of many who'll be asked to pay it.

It was compared recently to a shop keeper, and him asking for more for his services, I've a problem with this though.

If you weren't happy with the shop keeper, or his services you could refuse to desk with him further, you can't do this with this unfair tax. (see Phil Hogans link)

Once 100,200 right up to a grand could be acceptable to the people if they weren't asked to pay separate for bins, emergency services, doctor/health, education, tolled roads, vrt blah blah blah.

As it looks, its like further wastage to an already over spent country.

Stop the wastage, overhaul the system, then come cap in hand and ask the citizens to pay their 'share'.

That's my major gripe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement