Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Well aware of that, Ghandee. But you could make the same argument for income tax, carbon tax, capital gains tax, capital aquisitions tax, motor tax, VAT, VRT, inheritance tax, universal social charge, pension levies, insurance levies, DIRT, stamp duty, or any other of the litany of taxes payable in Ireland.

By your logic, why bother paying any taxes?

All existing taxes which no one really has a bother with, however this is an additional tax that contributes to nothing for the home owner to avail of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

donalg1 wrote: »
    Where did I say nobody has a right to moan I said people will moan whoever is in power and will act surprised when a govt don't fulfil all their election promises. Political parties exist to get elected at the next election and will feed the electorate whatever line they think will get them elected.

It was clear fg would not be able to deliver on all their pre election promises at the time of the election as ff gave the power to run the country to the lads in Europe long before it. So why people are surprised now is beyond me, my whole post was about the continuous circle of politicians lying to get elected and people moaning when they don't deliver.

I know they exist to get elected, and as I said in my post, people were vunerable and they really played on their vunerability. I'm not surprised, and I'm sure a lot of people are not suprised that they lied through their teeth to get into power. You're right of course when you say it was clear that fg would'nt be able to deliver, and kenny absolutely knew that, but he was hoping the electorate would'nt notice what he was up to, (and of course, as I already said in a recent post, ff provided a great distraction), and as we know, the majority of them did'nt. But you would surely agree that, if the same dishonest tactics were used to gain a position in almost any other job in the land, that they would be booted out of that job, and the employer would be perfectly justified. Which leads me to ask the question, are we their employers, and if we are, why do we have to wait for five years before we get rid of them.

darkhorse wrote: »

I know they exist to get elected, and as I said in my post, people were vunerable and they really played on their vunerability. I'm not surprised, and I'm sure a lot of people are not suprised that they lied through their teeth to get into power. You're right of course when you say it was clear that fg would'nt be able to deliver, and kenny absolutely knew that, but he was hoping the electorate would'nt notice what he was up to, (and of course, as I already said in a recent post, ff provided a great distraction), and as we know, the majority of them did'nt. But you would surely agree that, if the same dishonest tactics were used to gain a position in almost any other job in the land, that they would be booted out of that job, and the employer would be perfectly justified. Which leads me to ask the question, are we their employers, and if we are, why do we have to wait for five years before we get rid of them.

We cant kick them out because the constitution was changed to take away that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Hijpo wrote: »
    We cant kick them out because the constitution was changed to take away that right.
    It was???
    I missed that amendment :eek:

Ghandee wrote: »
    A 2 year old and an 8 week old will do that to a man! They dont get the whole Saturday/Sunday /bank holiday thing!

I know what you mean. My two are only just getting the above now, and they are in their thirties.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Le_Dieux wrote: »

Without wanting to undermine a Mod, to think that someone of this intellect and attitude can post away while someone who never ( as far as I am aware) insulted anyone personally is banned.

What he did was a big no no re regging numerous times after being banned then getting banned again and reregging again. Begged to be let back on and was warned any more infractions or bans and the permanent ban would be reinstated so he gets 3 infractions and a ban in 6 weeks.

This thread would have been closed if he stayed around which seemed to me to be his aim all along and some on the no side had the same opinion too.

dvpower wrote: »
    It was???
    I missed that amendment :eek:

Articles 47 and 48

bgrizzley wrote: »
    sounds good, will give a search in the local offie (if the vintners allow them to stay open:rolleyes:).

5 for E10 in tesco for the other, nice beer and a lot better value than 2 pints of watery slop at the local.

Best of luck to her, enjoy the party!!

Same as that, G. I'm toasting the child with a bacardi and coke(my 6th)have a great day.

Because there would be an election every day then if that was the case.

Someone will always have a problem with the govt and their decisions and if we have an election every time someone has a problem it would become pointless having elections. You want to change the govt you can vote for change at the next election but you can't decide when the next election is. That's the democratic system we have in place.

Plus the govt can say well we haven't fulfilled that promise yet but we have five years to do so before we technically have broken that promise.

D_murph wrote: »
    What I would like to know is where do you expect people to keep coming up with more and more money from to pay whatever new BS taxes this shower bring in?

I have asked that same question umpteen times since we started this war discussion. Cant get an answer.

• Advertisement

Articles 47 and 48
    Wtf are you on about. When were these articles amended (and how do those articles at all relate to our rights to kick the Government out)??????????

You're just typing random stuff, aren't you?

dvpower wrote: »
    Wtf are you on about. When were these articles amended (and how do those articles at all relate to our rights to kick the Government out)??????????

You're just typing random stuff, aren't you?

Google the changes from 1922

Google the changes from 1922
    Can you narrow it down for me. There have been 31 amendments.

Which one are you referring to?

Ghandee wrote: »
    This tax, unlike most of the others could be defeated/postponed until it has been thought through thoroughly and fairly.
    It could directly be linked to the service is supposedly going to fund.
    It could and should be used to improve the living conditions of many who'll be asked to pay it.

It was compared recently to a shop keeper, and him asking for more for his services, I've a problem with this though.

If you weren't happy with the shop keeper, or his services you could refuse to desk with him further, you can't do this with this unfair tax. (see Phil Hogans link)

Once 100,200 right up to a grand could be acceptable to the people if they weren't asked to pay separate for bins, emergency services, doctor/health, education, tolled roads, vrt blah blah blah.

As it looks, its like further wastage to an already over spent country.

Stop the wastage, overhaul the system, then come cap in hand and ask the citizens to pay their 'share'.

That's my major gripe.

I dont care what way they spin it, G, I'll not believe that this tax will be utilised for any thing exept paying money towards bondholders and politicians and bankers bonus's/expenses. If the kitty was as empty as they would have us believe, and they were ever serious about reform, why is the seanad, that they said there's no need for, still there, and all the other quango's, and why do we need a president. I'm not goin there again, I'm gonna enjoy my drink. Slainte.

In other words, the constitution that was drawn up for the people, is actually a tool to be used against the people. That would make us, the taxpayer, the only employer in the country that has no employers rights.

In other words, the constitution that was drawn up for the people, is actually a tool to be used against the people. That would make us, the taxpayer, the only employer in the country that has no employers rights.
    No. Hjpo is referring to a particular amendment to Art 47 and 48 that changed our rights to kick the Government out.

He's about to tell us which one. Soon.

What he did was a big no no re regging numerous times after being banned then getting banned again and reregging again. Begged to be let back on and was warned any more infractions or bans and the permanent ban would be reinstated so he gets 3 infractions and a ban in 6 weeks.

This thread would have been closed if he stayed around which seemed to me to be his aim all along and some on the no side had the same opinion too.

Have to admit, I did'nt see it. But I will say that he did a great female impression, had me convinced.:o:confused: I better put away this bottle til tomorrow night.:)

Have to admit, I did'nt see it. But I will say that he did a great female impression, had me convinced.:o:confused: I better put away this bottle til tomorrow night.:)

Ah well he had me fooled as kr7 when pretending to be the female for a while but figured it out eventually didn't know about ncdadam til I saw the prison forum. Wouldnt be surprised if there was more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The man has provided no link or shred of evidence. Do you really believe everything you read on the internet, or some guy told you down the pub?

He has been asked to back up his statement, hasn't provided an iota of evidence and there you are making statements based on supposition.

For all you know it is freeman of the land nonsense. Sometimes I despair.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Mod Note:

That's enough talk about moderation, re-regs and posters who aren't here to defend themselves, for whatever reason.

PM the mods if you've any questions or, we do have a feedback board for queries on moderation.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Here is a list of the passed and failed Referenda that have taken place in this country, maybe Hijpo can point us to which particular passed Referendum he is on about, because I am at a loss.

K-9 wrote: »

Here is a list of the passed and failed Referenda that have taken place in this country, maybe Hijpo can point us to which particular passed Referendum he is on about, because I am at a loss.

Ill hold your hand tomorrow, the ole phone isnt the best for copy and pasting paragraphs etc

Thank you for that link, K-9. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow, cause for some reason, the words seem to be dancing on my screen at the moment(cant understand why, mrs darkhorse thinks that the bacardi makes the words dance, I dont believe her). Anyway, I think Hijpo is probably gone for the night, but he is one poster that if he finds that he is wrong about something, he'll say he is wrong.

Ill hold your hand tomorrow, the ole phone isnt the best for copy and pasting paragraphs etc

I'l hold you that promise, barring 2 referenda on boundary constituencies which were defeated, I really don't have a clue what you are on about. Barring European, Abortion and Divorce Referenda , the other ones are pretty minor.
    Thank you for that link, K-9. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow, cause for some reason, the words seem to be dancing on my screen at the moment(cant understand why, mrs darkhorse thinks that the bacardi makes the words dance, I dont believe her). Anyway, I think Hijpo is probably gone for the night, but he is one poster that if he finds that he is wrong about something, he'll say he is wrong.

If I'm wrong I'll learn from it and move on, not as if it's a first in my 30,000 odd posts.

I'l hold you that promise, barring 2 referenda on boundary constituencies which were defeated, I really don't have a clue what you are on about. Barring European, Abortion and Divorce Referenda , the other ones are pretty minor.

If I'm wrong I'll learn from it and move on, not as if it's a first in my 30,000 odd posts.

I have to tell ya's what I'm listening to at the moment. Are the good times really over for good, by Merle Haggard. Very apt song in the circumstances. Even though its themed on american recession, the words can be changed to suit any country. You'll know what I'm talking about if you hear it.

I have to tell ya's what I'm listening to at the moment. Are the good times really over for good, by Merle Haggard. Very apt song in the circumstances. Even though its themed on american recession, the words can be changed to suit any country. You'll know what I'm talking about if you hear it.

Don't listen to much music, Dylan, the Stones, Bowie and early 90's Indie stuff. Moving Hearts and Christy as well, too old fashioned for Ireland 6/7 years ago.

Don't listen to much music, Dylan, the Stones, Bowie and early 90's Indie stuff. Moving Hearts and Christy as well, too old fashioned for Ireland 6/7 years ago.

I always detested any kind of country music, but this one I mentioned is just fantastic, I think. Bowie, good taste, one of my all time favourites. Stones, excellent, I was actually looking at a documentary on the Stones thursday night, wicked. You have quite good taste for a young person.:)

I always detested any kind of country music, but this one I mentioned is just fantastic, I think. Bowie, good taste, one of my all time favourites. Stones, excellent, I was actually looking at a documentary on the Stones thursday night, wicked. You have quite good taste for a young person.:)

You never mentioned Moving Hearts and Christey. Ordinary man was the song in the 80's, looked down on in the 00's. Christey Moore was popular to the mid 90's, died a death after. All of a sudden in demand again.

We're just Ordinary Men again, you just thought you where above all that for a few years.

You never mentioned Moving Hearts and Christey. Ordinary man was the song in the 80's, looked down on in the 00's. Christey Moore was popular to the mid 90's, died a death after. All of a sudden in demand again.

We're just Ordinary Men again, you just thought you where above all that for a few years.

Well, moving hearts and Christy really goes without saying. Like, being irish, they were part of our heritage, but my taste was very diverse, being a teenager in the 70s. I would have to say that my favourite singer of all time was Elvis, who I am listening to at the moment(not for long when mrs darkhorse hears it):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

They did?:eek: Who on the 'no' side are You referring to?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement