Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

donalg1 wrote: »
    Almost everyone but some don't

Yes, you never drove even 1kph over limit, never crossed white line, never did anything wrong while driving.

Its academic anyway, as the driving laws never seem to matter to the law abiding pontificator`s all over boards, since the realistic ones know they cant help breaking them sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    DH learnt about a new word 'Kleptocracy' & I have now - what is 'freeman'?

Apologies I know it has nowt to do with the thread. Just nosy:-)

AFAIK these dudes that think there is law older than current statutes that supercedes all else. that youtube video recently of the guys stopping the sherrif from repossessing a house up in laois, i think they may have been freemen(or in the same vein anyway).

http://www.freedomrebels.co.uk/Home::what_is__a_freeman.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemen_on_the_land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

K-9 wrote: »
    Snake oil sales men only profited from the gullible.

I hear ya:

Snake oil is intentionally promoted fraudulent or unproven Medicine. The expression is also applied metaphorically to any product with questionable or unverifiable quality or benefit. By extension, a snake oil salesman is someone who sells fraudulent goods or who is a fraud himself.
    2502_Enda-Kenny_H_834862t.jpg

The modern day ones ones are a bit better dressed and the new snake oil is called Austerity.

Well it almost works Donnie Darko geddit?

Full marks for that, dx.;) I did expect someone to come up with this one long before now, but well done.
    By the way, no one seems to have got the one about sellafield, which goes to show, there must be more than me taking this discussion serioulsy, as some poster remarked about me.

[QUOTE=Le_Dieux;82035289 what is 'freeman'?[/QUOTE]

At the moment, a freeman is someone that is above low and middle class.:(

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yea i`ve went above speed limits before. Even got a ticket once, in the 90`s.

Same as that, robbie. It was 1993. It was a six month old car, which I had just bought. I was on a fairly long stretch of road, stuck behind a lorry full of chips and dust, which there a lot of it spilling out onto any cars behind it, so when I got an opening, I decided to overtake. What I did'nt' know was, the garda siochalony were at the end of the line and pulled me over into the hard shoulder, where they told me that I was 72mph in a 60mph zone, here's a ticket, see ya in court, have a nice day. It cost me 40 pounds. That was the only time I ever went over the speed limit, that I am aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

darkhorse wrote: »

Same as that, robbie. It was 1993. It was a six month old car, which I had just bought. I was on a fairly long stretch of road, stuck behind a lorry full of chips and dust, which there a lot of it spilling out onto any cars behind it, so when I got an opening, I decided to overtake. What I did'nt' know was, the garda siochalony were at the end of the line and pulled me over into the hard shoulder, where they told me that I was 72mph in a 60mph zone, here's a ticket, see ya in court, have a nice day. It cost me 40 pounds. That was the only time I ever went over the speed limit, that I am aware of.

You could have taken 3rd place on the podium behind donal and dx, now you`ve blown it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Frightening stuff on the speculation by the experts all over the radio today.

And to have to listen to Richard Bruton this morning on the PK show, vomit inducing! Shane Ross's take: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/shane-ross-the-celtic-cowboys-win-again-3312082.html

And then to hear Varadker blowing his trumpet about 1000 jobs being created at Shannon within 5 years.

Are these people for real or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

Frightening stuff on the speculation by the experts all over the radio today.

And to have to listen to Richard Bruton this morning on the PK show, vomit inducing! Shane Ross's take: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/shane-ross-the-celtic-cowboys-win-again-3312082.html

And then to hear Varadker blowing his trumpet about 1000 jobs being created at Shannon within 5 years.

Are these people for real or what?

Looks like they're trying to get a few 'good news' stories out before they ruin another Christmas for many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I receieved a letter personally addressed to me this morning-informing me I have won the euro millions lottery, asking for bank accout details to claim the money-hmm wonder how these scammers got my address- -please see the attached pictures I scanned with my phone zoom in with picture viewer to read it properly.

• Advertisement

loggedoff wrote: »
    Looks like they're trying to get a few 'good news' stories out before they ruin another Christmas for many.

Agree. But, I still cannot understand the logic behind upping the fuel price. That defies their (supposed) intention of trying to get people back to work. AND remember WE pay for them to get to work, which is an insult to us, the tax payer!

Also, they bitched and moaned last week about how much revenue they are losing to imported/smuggled fags ( they are right btw) yet surely upping the tax on a packet is going to have a negative effect on what they want to do? I'm not saying anything about the rights and wrongs of smoking, but it's a cash cow for the govt. and for me, upping the price will bring them less revenue in?

They sure know how to destroy Xmas for the average guy in the street:mad:

Am Chile wrote: »
    I receieved a letter personally addressed to me this morning-informing me I have won the euro millions lottery, asking for bank accout details to claim the money-hmm wonder how these scammers got my address- -please see the attached pictures I scanned with my phone zoom in with picture viewer to read it properly.

AC, do these gobshítes honestly expect people to fall for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I received a SF leaflet yesterday Sunday, two people going round the area. It is asking me to come along to a public meeting in the Fairways Hotel Dundalk 7pm Dec 10th, speaker Gerry Adams theme OPPOSE BUDGET CUTS - TAX WEALTH NOT HOMES. It sort of make me feel I would have won the Lotto if they ever got into power.

Wealth Tax would be 1% on income/assets over €1m producing a return of €800m. Since you are well connected do you know where there are income/assets of €80 billion? I read before that assets exclude the family home and farmland and since it says No Property Tax I read that to mean no tax on any property.

It also promises no water charges and "creation" of 156,000 jobs. I hope those will not be in the PS or people here will be annoyed. And a cap of €100K on anybody working in the PS which won't please the likes of the chief executive of the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

"We won't increase income tax as it has a detrimental effect on jobs", but 10 cents on the litre of fuel won't. These guys really do know how the world works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

I received a SF leaflet yesterday Sunday, two people going round the area. It is asking me to come along to a public meeting in the Fairways Hotel Dundalk 7pm Dec 10th, speaker Gerry Adams theme OPPOSE BUDGET CUTS - TAX WEALTH NOT HOMES. It sort of make me feel I would have won the Lotto if they ever got into power.

Wealth Tax would be 1% on income/assets over €1m producing a return of €800m. Since you are well connected do you know where there are income/assets of €80 billion? I read before that assets exclude the family home and farmland and since it says No Property Tax I read that to mean no tax on any property.

It also promises no water charges and "creation" of 156,000 jobs. I hope those will not be in the PS or people here will be annoyed. And a cap of €100K on anybody working in the PS which won't please the likes of the chief executive of the HSE.

How many jobs did FG promise almost 2 years ago when they got in to power?
    What way has the unemployment rate gone since then? Apart from the 0.1% reduction last month?
    I suppose some developer type, sitting on a land bank waiting out the recession would be considered to be sitting on an asset, but we can't tax that now can we?
    A €100k cap in the PS sounds like a good idea, why not? We so obviously do not get the best people in there so why pay them the big money?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,936 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That article by Shane Ross makes a lot of sense.
    The Govt should refuse to pay the 3.1 billion to bondholders in March. If they do then people should refuse to co-operate in any way they can with this crazy Government.
    That 3.1 billion is our money and being used to pay the debts of bondholders and the uppity crowd this Govt is unwilling to tax.

loggedoff wrote: »
    How many jobs did FG promise almost 2 years ago when they got in to power?
    What way has the unemployment rate gone since then? Apart from the 0.1% reduction last month?
    I suppose some developer type, sitting on a land bank waiting out the recession would be considered to be sitting on an asset, but we can't tax that now can we?
    A €100k cap in the PS sounds like a good idea, why not? We so obviously do not get the best people in there so why pay them the big money?

I agree, €100K is more than enough for anyone. It's a pity though that the best people who know how the country should be run (listen to Michael O'Leary today) wouldn't be interested even at what the Taoiseach gets now. O'Leary is on twice or three times what Obama gets.

Funnily enough another proposal of SF in the leaflet is a new rate of income tax 48% on portion of income over €100K. Which would obviously exclude everyone in the PS, I like their thinking.

All well and good for SF to go around maiking promises...EMPTY ones imo. Lot's of not bring in this tax, or that tax. blah blah. Wonder just how they are going to fund the running of the country then?

As for the 156.000 jobs? Really hope someone asks them how they will fund this at that meeting. You going DX?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    "We won't increase income tax as it has a detrimental effect on jobs", but 10 cents on the litre of fuel won't. These guys really do know how the world works.

IF deisel is increased, it will have a n effect on EVERYTHING thats sitting on the supermarket shelf. The govt(?) stated that it is their aim to try and get the dole queue reduced. Upping the levy on fuel will have the opposite effect. AND they also are supposed to be increasing the motor tax???

There is a 4 letter word which defines a despicable act by 1 human on another, but I have to use it here: This govt are financially raping us. I hope I am wrong but somehow, I fear this will be the tipping point to public demonstrations!

All well and good for SF to go around maiking promises...EMPTY ones imo. Lot's of not bring in this tax, or that tax. blah blah. Wonder just how they are going to fund the running of the country then?

As for the 156.000 jobs? Really hope someone asks them how they will fund this at that meeting. You going DX?

I have not much hair left to wash so I can't use that as an excuse, but NO.

To be fair I better point out that they say 156,000 jobs over the next four years but since they are not in power it is pretty much an empty promise.

• Advertisement

I have not much hair left to wash so I can't use that as an excuse, but NO.

To be fair I better point out that they say 156,000 jobs over the next four years but since they are not in power it is pretty much an empty promise.

We've seen plenty of empty promises in the last few years DX.
    They're all at it now.

We've seen plenty of empty promises in the last few years DX.
    They're all at it now.

So true Tayto, so damn true. Anyone else listen to that bruton this morning on the PK show? Here's the link - frightening stuff:

http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/audio/2012/1203/20121203_rteradio1-patkenny-budget2013_c20120691_20120697_232_.mp3

PK then followed the above with an interview with Eddie Hobbs & Eamonn Timmins. http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/audio/2012/1203/20121203_rteradio1-patkenny-budget2013_c20120691_20120697_232_.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I'm at a loss. How in the name of Jesus are you relating this to the HHC / property tax? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm surprised none on here have mentioned the proposed 'death tax' yet.

The govt are planning on letting elderly folk who wish to, defer payment of the property tax until after their death, at which point it can be deducted from the deceased persons estate.

I've heard of greed, and I've heard of desperation, but that is fcuking scandalous.

Stephen Donnelly made some excellent points in a few columns yesterday, much of it referenced the lunacy, and the immorality of a govt that would take 3.5 billion from its citizens (he emphasised children) in a budget, then give that amount to banks.

I didn't need Mr Donnelly to tell me that, I've been saying it for almost a year now.

Ghandee wrote: »

The govt are planning on letting elderly folk who wish to, defer payment of the property tax until after their death, at which point it can be deducted from the deceased persons estate.

I've heard of greed, and I've heard of desperation, but that is fcuking scandalous.

Stephen Donnelly made some excellent points in a few columns yesterday, much of it referenced the lunacy, and the immorality of a govt that would take 3.5 billion from its citizens (he emphasised children) in a budget, then give that amount to banks.

I didn't need Mr Donnelly to tell me that, I've been saying it for almost a year now.

Know something Ghandee? I think I might have given Lugha a heart attack last week ( well, he hasn't been on since) when I bandied the word 'DEFAULT'.

The more I hear about the crap we are in, the more appealing that word becomes.Heard today, both the French and German economic ministers will not look favourably on either Ireland's or Portuguese rates, yet they are bending over backwards to assist/appease the Greeks.

The effing hypocrasy of whats going on is disgusting!

Oh, and I didn't mention the Death Tax ( DT ) as I can't believe ANY govt would be seriously contemplating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »

Isn't it normal practice for the Revenue to collect unpaid taxes from a deceased estate? And wasn't it already part of the HHC rules to take outstanding HHC due from property transfers after death?

The faux outrage is amusing 'though.

Oh, and I didn't mention the Death Tax ( DT ) as I can't believe ANY govt would be seriously contemplating it.

A govt that asked its tax payers to create a database on their behalf, that they would later use to screw them would.

Oh, and charge them €100 for the 'privilege'.

dvpower wrote: »
    Isn't it normal practice for the Revenue to collect unpaid taxes from a deceased estate? And wasn't it already part of the HHC rules to take outstanding HHC due from property transfers after death?

The faux outrage is amusing 'though.

Is it also normal practice for Paddy Power to return losing bets?
    Of course not BUT sure aren't our wonderful Government returning the stakes with interest to the bondholders and making their people pay for it. I wonder what the Revenue Commissioners in Germany and France think of that. They must be laughing their heads off.

• Advertisement

Is it also normal practice for Paddy Power to return losing bets?
    Of course not BUT sure aren't our wonderful Government returning the stakes with interest to the bondholders and making their people pay for it. I wonder what the Revenue Commissioners in Germany and France think of that. They must be laughing their heads off.

Don't think even DV agrees with the repayment of bondholders tbh.
    He would have acknowledged/countered my Stephen Donnelly reference otherwise.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement