Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Am Chile wrote: »
    I receieved a letter personally addressed to me this morning-informing me I have won the euro millions lottery, asking for bank accout details to claim the money-hmm wonder how these scammers got my address- -please see the attached pictures I scanned with my phone zoom in with picture viewer to read it properly.

Congratulations.:)

To be fair I better point out that they say 156,000 jobs over the next four years but since they are not in power it is pretty much an empty promise.

Well, dx, look where FGs promises brought them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Isn't the body responsible for collecting the HHC already chasing people who are dead or who have never resided at the property the letter was posted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,936 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Isn't the body responsible for collecting the HHC already chasing people who are dead or who have never resided at the property the letter was posted too.

Just put a "death notice" on your front door with your name on it and change the date weekly. They won't even knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Just put a "death notice" on your front door with your name on it and change the date weekly. They won't even knock.

Yeah,change it once a week and guess what - one week you will be correct.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    I'm surprised none on here have mentioned the proposed 'death tax' yet.

The govt are planning on letting elderly folk who wish to, defer payment of the property tax until after their death, at which point it can be deducted from the deceased persons estate.

I've heard of greed, and I've heard of desperation, but that is fcuking scandalous.

Agreed, G. And this, to me, debunks everything that we are constantly being told, both by the government and by some posters on here, in regards to the property tax being needed to fund the local authorities, when so much can be deferred. No, I have to say that this just reinforces what I have been saying from day one, this extra money that is to be taken from people in the guise of property tax, is to be used to pay other peoples debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,936 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

From looking at The Frontline and Vincent Browne tonight I predict that this Government will last a very short time after the budget. Many Labour T.D.'s ready to jump ship.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    All well and good for SF to go around maiking promises...EMPTY ones imo. Lot's of not bring in this tax, or that tax. blah blah. Wonder just how they are going to fund the running of the country then?

Maybe rob a few banks and get our money back from them, that some clown gave them.

From looking at The Frontline and Vincent Browne tonight I predict that this Government will last a very short time after the budget. Many Labour T.D.'s ready to jump ship.

I know its a big ask, but maybe a few dozen FG backbenchers might grow a pair in the next few days.

Is it also normal practice for Paddy Power to return losing bets?
    Of course not BUT sure aren't our wonderful Government returning the stakes with interest to the bondholders and making their people pay for it. I wonder what the Revenue Commissioners in Germany and France think of that. They must be laughing their heads off.

That reminds me, I learned another new word today, odious. So, if you were to put it in a sentence, maybe like, I think that we have odious debt.

• Advertisement

darkhorse wrote: »
    On that note, could anyone here tell me exactly what is going to happen to that 3.5 billion. Preferably , lugha tell us.

No problem, I was talking to this guy in the pub, and he explained it to me.

Anglo Irish Bank, a private company, was, is and will be bankrupt, bust, broke, borked… The black sheep of Irish banking its dingleberry Irish Nationwide Building Society was similarly banjacked. They now live in the zombie called Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, but lets call them Anglo. Or Quanglo, as they also own Quinn Insurance, a smaller black hole…
    It had bonds which in a fit of yet to be explained magnanimity the then Irish government determined to repay.
    It created a promissory note (an iou), which it gave to Anglo.
    We know that this was not real government debt as if it had been then it would have gone to the ECB and got cash. Instead it went to the Central Bank of Ireland, and got…cash. Because that’s what central banks do, they create cash.
    With the cash Anglo paid off its bondholders, and runs the bank (down we hope)
    Every year the Irish government gives money to Anglo, who then give that money to the central bank who then in effect destroy it. That way no net money is created. This is because the ECB say so. Apparently although central banks exist to create money, doing so is bad….Apparently.
    The Irish government either borrows that money from the troika or takes it from its citizens, and instead of doing useful things like giving it to professors of finance or even, god help us, spending on social good, it gives it to Anglo.
    The plan now is to replace the its-not-government-debt ProNote with a you-betcha-its –governemnt-debt, give that to Anglo, tear up the ProNote, borrow money to repay the debt, give THAT to anglo, who will give it to the central bank who will STILL destroy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

No problem, I was talking to this guy in the pub, and he explained it to me.

Anglo Irish Bank, a private company, was, is and will be bankrupt, bust, broke, borked… The black sheep of Irish banking its dingleberry Irish Nationwide Building Society was similarly banjacked. They now live in the zombie called Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, but lets call them Anglo. Or Quanglo, as they also own Quinn Insurance, a smaller black hole…
    It had bonds which in a fit of yet to be explained magnanimity the then Irish government determined to repay.
    It created a promissory note (an iou), which it gave to Anglo.
    We know that this was not real government debt as if it had been then it would have gone to the ECB and got cash. Instead it went to the Central Bank of Ireland, and got…cash. Because that’s what central banks do, they create cash.
    With the cash Anglo paid off its bondholders, and runs the bank (down we hope)
    Every year the Irish government gives money to Anglo, who then give that money to the central bank who then in effect destroy it. That way no net money is created. This is because the ECB say so. Apparently although central banks exist to create money, doing so is bad….Apparently.
    The Irish government either borrows that money from the troika or takes it from its citizens, and instead of doing useful things like giving it to professors of finance or even, god help us, spending on social good, it gives it to Anglo.
    The plan now is to replace the its-not-government-debt ProNote with a you-betcha-its –governemnt-debt, give that to Anglo, tear up the ProNote, borrow money to repay the debt, give THAT to anglo, who will give it to the central bank who will STILL destroy it.

Maybe that guy in the pub should explain it to kenny & merkel.
    They obviously have no understanding of what the effects of this are on the ground.
    It's hard to see from their ivory towers.

Maybe rob a few banks and get our money back from them, that some clown gave them.

Yea, FG, FF, Labour all rob us to give to the banks, maybe we need someone in there who'll rob the banks for us.
    Enda 'Robin Hood' Kenny, only he read that story wrong, he steals from the sick and the poor to give to the rich.
    I can picture him running around in a pair of green tights after Maid Marian Merkel getting his hair ruffled, oh wait, he does that already.:eek:

I'd say there's some clatter of landlords with multiple properties, rented out to those poor students, in south Dublin.

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/20881352/?view=Standard

1.1 million properties registered. How many landlords in this figure with multiple properties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

loggedoff wrote: »
    1.1 million properties registered. How many landlords in this figure with multiple properties?

Interesting question. Give this a read:

http://www.thejournal.ie/over-e90k-in-household-charge-fees-collected-from-three-people-457979-May2012/
    The vast majority (548,228) of those who have paid have done so for just one home but almost 90,000 people who own up to 50 properties have paid multiple charges.

EDIT: That's from May by the way, so I'm sure there's plenty more landlords who have registered multiple properties since then.

As for landlords who couldn't be arsed registering their properties at all, Mayo County Council is taking them to task: http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16455:countrys-first-household-charge-cases-appear-before-westport-court&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

So, of people who own one home, we can deduct that there's just over a 50% compliance rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

As I said, that article and those figures are from May.

Maybe that guy in the pub should explain it to kenny & merkel.

I think he did mention something about it to one of them. They said he did'nt know what he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think he did mention something about it to one of them. They said he did'nt know what he was talking about.

You weren't really listening to a guy in the pub. It's Professor Brian Lucey from TCD, not someone I think would be personally acquainted with austerity. As someone said in comment he is a pal of Professor Constantly Grudging.

http://brianmlucey.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/trying-to-untangle-the-kites-flying-around-the-anglo-irish-promissory-note-a-guide/

You weren't really listening to a guy in the pub. It's Professor Brian Lucey from TCD, not someone I think would be personally acquainted with austerity. As someone said in comment he is a pal of Professor Constantly Grudging.

http://brianmlucey.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/trying-to-untangle-the-kites-flying-around-the-anglo-irish-promissory-note-a-guide/[/QUOTE]

That looks something like what this guy I was talking to said. Some coincidence, huh?
    I cant say that I ever heard of this fellow in bold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

So, of people who own one home, we can deduct that there's just over a 50% compliance rate?

Why are they even attempting to collect a property tax with a (barely) 50% compliance rate? And therefore barely 50% database?

What do they think the compliance rates going to be when the charge increases several times (and remember, next years for a half term only?)

In saying that though, watching various political debate shows on rte/tv3 etc over the past few days, this govt may not be around to attempt collecting it in summer 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

http://brianmlucey.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/trying-to-untangle-the-kites-flying-around-the-anglo-irish-promissory-note-a-guide/

There's a hell of a lot of populist thinking in that, sure I agree with it myself, problem is it may not be a legal solution and contrary to what the ECB can allow.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It's Professor Brian Lucey from TCD, not someone I think would be personally acquainted with austerity.

http://brianmlucey.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/trying-to-untangle-the-kites-flying-around-the-anglo-irish-promissory-note-a-guide/[/QUOTE]

I find this statement very strange, dx. I mean, saying that a Professor of Finance, in your opinion, would not be acquainted with austerity!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

It's Professor Brian Lucey from TCD, not someone I think would be personally acquainted with austerity.

I find this statement very strange, dx. I mean, saying that a Professor of Finance, in your opinion, would not be acquainted with austerity!

The pros only like finance people who force feed you property tax stories. Jesus if they had the bitch of all mother in laws and she was a pro property tax they would divorce the wife and marry the mother id say.

K-9 wrote: »
    There's a hell of a lot of populist thinking in that, sure I agree with it myself, problem is it may not be a legal solution and contrary to what the ECB can allow.

You mention the legal word, but surely it could'nt have been legal how the last minister for finance was more or less threatened by the head of the ECB to take a bailout:

Trichet says letters to Lenihan should not be published - Irish ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Says he who has an extra +-€100k from his missus getting a job from his buddy Quinn, has US the tax payer pay for his fuel ( at an exhorbitant rate) to get him to work in a BMW which WE pay for, and after 'business' today will probably go and have a pint in a subsidised bar paid for by US the tax payers. And, when he loses his job in govt ( which I believe will happen sooner than later) he will have a fat pension after 5 years, while he is party to a shower who have reduced the pensions of people in Ireland who have worked all their lives to get.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1204/budget-ruairi-quinn-education-fine-gael-labour.html

Somehow, I think it's time for a bit of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imb4tYOk8GE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

And all the time, his & his missus salary are being paid for by.............:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    And all the time, his & his missus salary are being paid for by.............:o
    ... by tax payers, not so much by tax evaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    ... by tax payers, not so much by tax evaders.

Wrong. (or have you made a Freudian slip?)

Tax payers make up salaries and pensions of public servants, government members etc. Your 'evader'remarks refer to folk who've not (and won't) pay the HHC.

We've been told the hhc has been 'ring fenced' for local services, if however you're now saying that by not paying the hhc, you're not contributing to an over paid ministers salary (while they themselves haven't 'shared the pain') I say well done guys.

Keep up the good work. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    Wrong. (or have you made a Freudian slip?)

Tax payers make up salaries and pensions of public servants, government members etc. Your 'evader'remarks refer to folk who've not (and won't) pay the HHC.

We've been told the hhc has been 'ring fenced' for local services, if however you're now saying that by not paying the hhc, you're not contributing to an over paid ministers salary (while they themselves haven't 'shared the pain') I say well done guys.

Keep up the good work. ;)
    My tax evaders remark refers to just that - tax evaders.

Jumping the gun in your excitement there Ghandee!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement