Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    My tax evaders remark refers to just that - tax evaders.

Jumping the gun in your excitement there Ghandee!

Which you've bandied about this thread and the previous two now consistently. ;)

Are you now saying people not paying the hhc are not tax evaders?

Just for clarity like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    Which you've bandied about this thread and the previous two now consistently. ;)

Are you now saying people not paying the hhc are not tax evaders?

Just for clarity like.
    ffs, do I have to break out the Venn diagrams again for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

ffs, do I have to break out the Venn diagrams again for you?

Another question answered with a question, its getting old now dv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

How somebody who hasn't paid a registration fee/HHC (charge) can be frequently called a 'tax evader' on boards.ie is beyond me.
    I read the charter for boards.ie and I would have thought this type of 'flaming' as its called would be against the forum rules.
    Indeed, the very first post here by MickeyDolenz, calls for no flaming or baiting.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

loggedoff wrote: »
    How somebody who hasn't paid a registration fee/HHC (charge) can be frequently called a 'tax evader' on boards.ie is beyond me.
    I read the charter for boards.ie and I would have thought this type of 'flaming' as its called would be against the forum rules.
    Indeed, the very first post here by MickeyDolenz, calls for no flaming or baiting.:confused:

It's not flaming or baiting, though; it's a statement of fact.

• Advertisement

It's not flaming or baiting, though; it's a statement of fact.

Throwing around the term 'tax evader' in relation to a household charge sounds like flaming to me.
    It brings to mind the likes of mick wallace/bertie ahern and the usual list of scum like that, not ordinary people who are being charged €100 just to live in the home their paying for.
    It's flaming and it'll be reported as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

... by tax payers, not so much by tax evaders.

I bought a loaf of bread yesterday, so I paid towards that.

At least on the petrol to go get it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Throwing around the term 'tax evader' in relation to a household charge sounds like flaming to me.
    It brings to mind the likes of mick wallace/bertie ahern and the usual list of scum like that, not ordinary people who are being charged €100 just to live in the home their paying for.

Its not flaming, its simply stating a fact, a person who evades paying a tax is a tax evader no two ways about it. Now a term like shill, sheep or what not could be described as flaming alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

donalg1 wrote: »
    Its not flaming, its simply stating a fact, a person who evades paying a tax is a tax evader no two ways about it. Now a term like shill, sheep or what not could be described as flaming alright.

I always thought "shill" was a partmanteau for "shear brilliance"

Why don't you just use the Report Post function instead of bringing the thread off topic?

Back on topic: Pay your damn taxes!

• Advertisement

Now property tax effective from 01/07/2013 with a rate of 0.18% of value. Guidelines for valuations to be set by Revenue Commissioners, or alternatively you can get a competent valuer to carry out the valuation. Similiar exemptions will apply to the property tax as that those apply to the HHC. From 2015 LA's will have the ability to set rates themselves.

The Revenue Commissioners will be responsible for chasing up the non payers and will do so vigoursly also the HHC will be chased by the Revenue with the amounts due from 2012 being collected in line with the property tax.

Bye bye HHC, It's been nice knowing you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Oh!! Tell me more. What has Noonan done?

Now property tax effective from 01/07/2013 with a rate of 0.18% of value. Guidelines for valuations to be set by Revenue Commissioners, or alternatively you can get a competent valuer to carry out the valuation. Similiar exemptions will apply to the property tax as that those apply to the HHC. From 2015 LA's will have the ability to set rates themselves.
    Only 0.18% - that's much less than anyone projected here.

And a commitment not to increase the rate for the lifetime of the government, and the valuation lasts up to 2016 too, so the argument that it will go up year on year is also blown out of the water.

The only thing going up is any outstanding HHC not paid by July 1 2013 - it goes up to €200 to be collected by the Revenue.

Time to pay your taxes lads - the jig is up.

I wouldnt say goodbye to it until you have paid it as the revenue will be chasing it and if i heard correctly it will be added to the property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

so rich people can use the exemptions to avoid paying, and those who made bad financial decisions can get deferrals, while the working class who have been smart with their money get screwed (again)

Oh!! Tell me more. What has Noonan done?
    Replaced HHC with new property tax.

Outstanding HHC to be collected by Revenue. If HHC isn't paid by July 2013, it goes up to €200.

so rich people can use the exemptions to avoid paying, and those who made bad financial decisions can get deferrals, while the working class who have been smart with their money get screwed (again)
    What property tax exemptions for rich people?

Now everyone, if your gonna pay, get a corrupt fcuker like hogan to value the auld gaf!

Only 0.18% - that's much less than anyone projected here.

And a commitment not to increase the rate for the lifetime of the government, and the valuation lasts up to 2016 too, so the argument that it will go up year on year is also blown out of the water.

Plus those living in affluent areas with expensive houses pay a higher rate of tax - very progressive.

Also people living in social housing will allegedly be asked to contribute 1 or 2 euro extra on their rents.

These measures seek to address some of the criticisms that charge evaders have pointed out.

• Advertisement

Outstanding HHC to be collected by Revenue. If HHC isn't paid by July 2013, it goes up to €200.

Hope they have as much success collecting it as they did the HHC:rolleyes:

Now everyone, if your gonna pay, get a corrupt fcuker like hogan to value the auld gaf!

I think he said competent valuer:D

Expected mass non-compliance.

Many hard working tax paying citizens completely oblivious to whatever the rate will be and who will be in charge of collection.

Just on the HHC, i think we can all agree now, with just over 3 weeks until its phased out, it was not a success. It barely had a 50% compliance rate when landlords were excluded.

I think the property tax will be an even bigger failure.

I think he said competent valuer:D

Where would ya find one of those?, as rare as rocking horse sh1t!

Also people living in social housing will allegedly be asked to contribute 1 or 2 euro extra on their rents.

If their rents collected monthly, (like my mortgage is) that equates to €12-€24 per year:confused:

I spent more than that on a round of drink on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Hope they have as much success collecting it as they did the HHC:rolleyes:

The Revenue commissioners are pros at catching tax dodgers, unlike the incompetent county or city councils.

Firefox11 wrote: »
    The Revenue commissioners are pros at catching tax dodgers, unlike the incompetent county or city councils.

How's that auld black market tax collection going for them?
    The only growth area there is in the country.:eek:

Firefox11 wrote: »

Don't be foolish now.

If even half of the numbers who refused to pay the hhc continue to refuse to tow the line, it will bring revenue to its knees.

It would however create a few new jobs for the ps though in an effort to track them down. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

What property tax exemptions for rich people?

not exempt, but the exemptions are designed specifically for the rich to take advantage of.

• Advertisement

not exempt, but the exemptions are designed specifically for the rich to take advantage of.

Noonan said that the exemptions will be broadly in line with the exemptions of the HHC (i.e. those in receipt of Mortgage Interest Supplement and those in unfinished housing estates).

How exactly are those exemptions targetted at the rich???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement