Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Ghandee wrote: »
    If their rents collected monthly, (like my mortgage is) that equates to €12-€24 per year:confused:

1 or 2 euro per week. It would equate to more than the HHC.
    I spent more than that on a round of drink on Sunday evening.

So you'd have no problem paying the HHC, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

So you'd have no problem paying the HHC, then.

I got a return on my 24 quid. ;)

Add to that, if the drink was sour, or the service was crap, I'd have refused to pay the barman and took my business elsewhere.

Try that trick with the hhc or property tax.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Expected mass non-compliance.

Many hard working tax paying citizens completely oblivious to whatever the rate will be and who will be in charge of collection.

Just on the HHC, i think we can all agree now, with just over 3 weeks until its phased out, it was not a success. It barely had a 50% compliance rate when landlords were excluded.

I think the property tax will be an even bigger failure.

You can almost guarantee the compliance rate will get an awful lot higher once the Revenue start going after people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Noonan said that the exemptions will be broadly in line with the exemptions of the HHC (i.e. those in receipt of Mortgage Interest Supplement and those in unfinished housing estates).

How exactly are those exemptions targetted at the rich???

So a person with a well paid job in an unfinished estate gets a free pass...yet someone on social wellfare who lost their job and cant get a job,has mortgage problems and in negative equaity gets fcuk all?????

Thats fair?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

paddy147 wrote: »
    So a person with a well paid job in an unfinished estate gets a free pass...yet someone on social wellfare who lost their job and cant get a job,has mortgage problems and in negative equaity gets fcuk all?????

Thats fair?????????

Yep, fair, Irish style.:mad:

• Advertisement

Unvouched expenses cut, another reason the anti side claimed they wouldnt pay was the lads at the top need to cut out the expenses and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

donalg1 wrote: »
    Unvouched expenses cut, another reason the anti side claimed they wouldnt pay was the lads at the top need to cut out the expenses and what not.

Anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

200 euro a year for me then give or take a few. Hardly the end of the world

Hijpo wrote: »
    Anything else?

10% cut in the general allowance they get.

Just got a phone call from some "Anglo financial survey" crowd wanting to know if would participate in a survey aimed at finding out how household owners are coping financially with the downturn in the economy, came from a 0044 prefix.

I told him i didnt own the house and when he asked if i was renting i told him i was only here babysitting.

Any one else get a call? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

paddy147 wrote: »

Thats fair?????????

Yes.

Those on social welfare who lost their job and are having problems paying back their mortgage can apply for mortgage interest supplement, and will then be exempt from the property tax.

How many mansions have you heard of that are in unfinished housing estates?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Anyone remeber what Phil Hogan said when he refused to pay 4000 euro on his Portugal Villas fees....

"Would you pay a charge if you were unhappy with the service?"

Property Tax...but no bin collection in that fee.

No Phil...Im not happy.

Also 10% reduction in Leader's Allowances, 10% less in the Parliamentary Standard Allowance (whatever that is), and the overall fund for expenses will be reduced. Severence pay to be abolished for current and future deputies.

Overall pretty fair budget to be honest. Everyone asked to contribute a little.

Anyone want to put an estimated value of their properties up here and what the liability could be?
    I'm trying to work out mine but nobody has sold a house within 1.5 miles from where I live in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Also 10% reduction in Leader's Allowances, 10% less in the Parliamentary Standard Allowance (whatever that is), and the overall fund for expenses will be reduced. Severence pay to be abolished for current and future deputies.

Its only proposed legislation, might take over 20 years to legislate for, same as the x-case.
    Until it is the law they can stick it up their arses

northknife wrote: »
    Its only proposed legislation, might take over 20 years to legislate for, same as the x-case.
    Until it is the law they can stick it up their arses

Careful now, youll be accused of spouting "freeman nonsence"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

dvpower wrote: »
    Only 0.18% - that's much less than anyone projected here.

I suggested it might be an average of €200 myself when introduced. I think had everyone registered, it possibly would have been higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I suggested it might be an average of €200 myself when introduced. I think had everyone registered, it possibly would have been higher.

This is the anti tax brigade in retreat.
    "We did it lads. We forced them down to 0.18%. A glorious victory"
    :pac:

A little for some, will be far more painful than a lot for others. It seems a simple concept, but obviously not for some.

• Advertisement

A little for some, will be far more painful than a lot for others. It seems a simple concept, but obviously not for some.

Indeed. I'm frankly amazed you can't grasp it. :pac:

dvpower wrote: »
    This is the anti tax brigade in retreat.
    "We did it lads. We forced them down to 0.18%. A glorious victory"
    :pac:

No victory there. I would have preferred them to put it at 1.5% straight away myself. Much like yourself would have, id imagine.

No victory there. I would have preferred them to put it at 1.5% straight away myself. Much like yourself would have, id imagine.

That really would have been on the edge of insanity!

Indeed. I'm frankly amazed you can't grasp it. :pac:

Apt username

loggedoff wrote: »
    That really would have been on the edge of insanity!

Yep, that`s me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,935 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Especially women and children, the sick, pregnant and old BUT not the rich friends of the Govt ministers.

Especially women and children, the sick, pregnant and old BUT not the rich friends of the Govt ministers.

Yea but he says we cant grasp that.

You can almost guarantee the compliance rate will get an awful lot higher once the Revenue start going after people.

You must be really happy today Donal.

You lumped on the people in negative equity, the old, sick, pregnant, single parent/deserted wife, children, carers and the poor old wino.

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

darkhorse wrote: »
    You mention the legal word, but surely it could'nt have been legal how the last minister for finance was more or less threatened by the head of the ECB to take a bailout:

Trichet says letters to Lenihan should not be published - Irish ...

Ah yeah, poor ould FF bullied into taking a bailout that was inevitable anyway. The country was going to run out of cash in a few months anyway despite FF protestations, the ECB made them face up to reality.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, poor ould FF bullied into taking a bailout that was inevitable anyway. The country was going to run out of cash in a few months anyway despite FF protestations, the ECB made them face up to reality.

We won't know until we see that letter, which of course we won't.
    Why ? Because of the embarrassment it would cause to our politicians. It would show up their willingness to bend over for the European Bankers and Bondholders and spread all the pain to their own population.

PS

I didn't hear FG calling for it's publication either.
    Why ? Because they are bending over and taking it too.

Shame on them all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement